Start by marking “The Moment Before” as Want to Read:
The Moment Before

The Moment Before

“Don’t get me wrong. I loved my sister. I never, not once, wished her dead.”

Brady and Sabine Wilson are sisters born eleven months apart, but they couldn’t be more different. Popular Sabine, the head cheerleader dating the high school hunk, seems to have all the luck, while her younger, artsy sister "Brady Brooder" is a loner who prefers the sidelines to the limelight.

Afte
Published January 14th 2014 by Diversion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Moment Before, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moment Before

Ash Wednesday
2 STARS
WARNING: Lots of Annoying Questions from Me

Because I am still confused what just happened back there. Yeah, reading this book was like having a profound conversation with someone who's high while you're sober. In that there are snippets of lucidity, moments of depth, that make little sense when you connect one point with the other.

Brady and Sabine Wilson are sisters who despite traveling different social circles in high school have maintained a tight bond with each other. Brady is an i
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Diversion Books and Netgalley.)
17-year-old Brady and her sister Sabine were Irish twins – sisters born less than a year apart, but Sabine’s death in a cheerleading accident has left Brady stuck in a rut, and unable to move on, no matter how her family therapist tries to help her.
When Sabine’s voicemail reaches its message limit, Brady goes out of her way to access the voicemail, needing to dele
Chrissy
I know I say this a lot, but this time I mean it. Really.

Honestly, I'm just torn. I'm truly just NOT SURE what I think about THE MOMENT BEFORE -- or even how to rate it.

So I took the easy way out and went straight to three stars. But, I'll tell you why -- and you can decide for yourself what you think.

Backing up a little, though...

Brady is a loner -- an artistic soul who feels especially lost after the death of her 'Irish twin' sister Sabine, the popular, perfect cheerleader who was adored by ev
Rachel Orendurff
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked on the first page, enthralled by fascinating teenage characters that came alive on the page through dialogue and nuance. I read this book over coffee, in the bathtub and even to the light of my cell phone in the back seat of a car! To me it was a delicious treat and I wasn’t left pondering a multitude of questions like Ash Wednesday.
The main character, Brady, who tells the whole story, has to cope with the death of her sister, a too perfect best friend, her drunken grieving dad, an
Renee Meland
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! The magic of Brady (the main character) was that virtually every reader could find some aspect of her life that they could identify with, whether it be that they also lost someone, or were just trying to figure out who they were as a person while navigating their way through the hallways of their high school.

It was also very refreshing to read a YA novel that was more internal than some other YA that comes to mind. There were no vampires, werewolves, or magical powers...just
Tracey (Life and Literature)
It's all so fleeting, how beauty screams loud, then withers and dies. How one day everything seems possible, and little cubes of happiness tinkle around inside you like ice in a glass of fresh-squeezed lemonade, and then, just like that, the ice melts and the beverage grows a skin of mold.

Brady Wilson's sister Sabine has recently been killed in a freak cheerleading accident. Her family are trying to find their way through their loss and grief. But nothing seems to be helping. Brady has lost
Rachel Barnard
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Popular Sabine and Broody Brady are Irish twins, born 11 months apart. After Sabine dies, Brady is thrust from her sister’s shadow into a world full of drama, complication, and lies. Brady must find out what really happened to her sister before she died and Brady discovers more about herself along the way.

This may be a young adult fiction novel but it is not your typical angsty teen book. Though there are sex, drugs, alcohol, and death, they are dealt with in an adult and masterful way. It is al
Amy
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It can't be easy to have a gorgeous, popular, confident older sister. Especially in high school. Especially when she's also a star cheerleader and has such an epic romance that she's been Brangelina'd with her own couple name.

It can't.

But what's harder is when she dies, still in the grips of those very elements that feasted on her and nurtured her.

Sabine's death hit younger sister Brady hard. They are "Irish twins," born scarcely a year apart, and Brady made peace (somewhat) with Sabine's light
Darcie
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic book. I picked up when I saw Chuck Palahniuk share it on Facebook, and I'm so glad I did. The writing was poignant and alive, flowing like a lot of my own thoughts do. I was pulled in from chapter one.

I love how the book works through the levels slowly. Just like everyone, if you scratch the surface, you'll find more underneath. Those fleshy bits; the secrets. It's this cache of secrets you wonder about - what would happen if I died? Where would they go, who would know?

Brady
MG
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Serious subjects of loss and abuse are described in authentic, entertaining way.

I love this story! Initially skeptical, knowing it was about high school students, and seeing the cheerleader on the cover, I thought it wouldn't be "adult" enough for my tastes. But I'd heard the novel was excellent, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The protagonist Brady is in grief over her sister's death, and it's the sister who was the cheerleader; Brady expresses herself through visual art. What immediately set th
Erin Reel
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When Brady "Brooder" Wilson is left to unpack the truth behind her larger-than-life sister's sudden and tragic death, the mysterious boy held responsible for the death, the secrets her parents keep, the old world faith her grandparents cling to, and more, she is faced with making a choice that will change her life's course and her character - accept the truth as it is fed to her, or follow her gut, take a few risks and discover that peace is only ever achieved through acts of courage.

Suzy Vitel
We think we know Brady and Sabine, “Irish Twins” born a year apart. Brady is the moody, art-making, dark and gloomy younger sibling seemingly always in the shadow of older sister Sabine, the cheerleader with a bevy of friends and the light of her parents lives. But what seems typical is quickly upended, as Sabine’s family, friends, and boyfriend navigate their grief in the advent of her death.

Grief affects and informs each family members relationship to each other. Brady turns to the most unlike
Kobi
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jumanji
When Brady's sister Sabine dies in a freak cheerleading accident the whole family struggles. Brady can still hear Sabine in her head and soon starts to ditch school. Then she meets Connor, who was supposed be Sabine's spotter when she fell. Connor shares new information with Brady that makes her question everything she knew about her sister. And doubt her sister's boyfriend intentions. As the truth unfold family is separated and new friendships are formed. This book shows that we all have inter ...more
Angel - Angel Reads
After having so much trouble of being able to read my eARC, I finally got to read The Moment Before and I am very happy that I did.

The Moment Before was a very heartfelt, emotional read. We start reading and we already see and feel the emotions that our main character Brady, has with the death of her sister, Sabrina. She is in a rough place. She can’t seem to concentrate at school, she can function but she really isn’t there.

I really like Brady as a character; she isn’t stuck up, or thinks she i
Leah
When I spotted The Moment Before on Netgalley, I thought it sounded quite interesting. Novels about grief are really interesting, and I love diving in to novels like that. It’s taken me quite a while to finish the novel – really, starting a book over the Christmas and New Year period is never a good idea, as work gets in the way of doing anything over Christmas and New Year, especially reading, but after what seems like forever, I have finally completed the novel, and it wasn’t bad at all.

Brady
Parichita Singh
The Moment Before is the story of Brady who has recently lost her sister in a cheerleading accident. She’s trying to come to terms with the her sister’s absence, and her family is crumbling. She and whole of the school blames Connor, the boy who missed on catching her sister because of drugs. But soon her grief brings her closer to her sister’s life which shows her a different story.

The book talks about the need to prove oneself, the insecurities of the youth, and the extent to which one is read
Danielle
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read more reviews at What Danielle Did Next

4.5 stars.

THE MOMENT BEFORE crashed through the reading slump hanging over me since 2014 dawned and treated me to a wonderful story that kept me captivated. I breezed through this book in the spare moments I caught in between snuggles with my new niece and after the halfway point I pretty much kept promising myself to read just 10% more until eventually I let go of any pretence of plans to get sleep until I had finished the book and boy it was worth it
Sara
Brady, the younger Wilson sister by a whole eleven months, is known for her artsy ways. Sabine, her older sister, is perfect. She's a cheerleader. She's part of a power couple. Everyone loves her. And then she dies in a freak cheering accident. Everyone blames Connor, Sabine's stunt partner, for failing to catch her. He did fail a drug test that day, after all. But Brady doesn't quite buy it. She wants to get to the bottom of this whole death thing so she can move on with her life.

Let's just get
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
For this review and more, visit Such a Novel Idea.

This book is about a young girl who has a popular older sister, who is loved by the entire school, that dies tragically in a cheerleading accident during a pep rally. Pretty tragic. This girl was the quiet, artsy sister that wasn't in the spotlight. Her parents are devastated. Her boyfriend and best friend are devastated. The boy who was her lift partner is blamed due to testing positive for marijuana. Seems like the recipe for a really interesti
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews
Source: eARC for Honest Review from Author

Hmmm. I really did like this book. It was refreshing and non formulatic.

This book is about grief and the after effects of death.

Shackle me, drag me away, but you can't have my spirit...

For Brady her 'perfect' older sister dies in a tragic cheer leading accident. After the death Brady is having a hard time coping with this loss and the effects it's causing on her family.

Brady is trying to hold on to who she thought Sabine was but with the enlisted hel
Kimi (Geeky Chiquitas)
Originally posted at Geeky Chiquitas

“Don’t get me wrong. I loved my sister. I never, not once, wished her dead.”

Sabine and Brady are Irish twins, who were born 11 months apart. Sabine, the popular one and known as the head cheerleader dies because of a horrible cheerleading accident. Brady's life starts to fall apart after Sabine dies. Her parents blame Connor for the accident, but is he really the one to blame? Brady realizes that maybe there is something more to Sabine's death, and she starts
Charli - To Another World
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read this review and many more at To Another World

I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley via Diversion Books in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way.

The Moment Before is a beautiful coming-of-age story with a unique image of teenage years. It starts with a seemingly random description of a car sitting and rusting in a driveway, and I was enthralled just from this. There's mystery, a romance, but isn't the typical book.

Some of the book was
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was asked to review this book as part of a book tour, this is my first ever book tour, and I said sure. I was not disappointed. I am very glad that I was asked to be a part of this books release.

The main character of the book, Brady, is a very strong and in your face kind of girl. She doesn't try to impress anyone and she just does her own thing. Even after her sister dies she still remains true to herself. I do think she should have been a little more brave and forthcoming with the things she
Becca  ☾☁︎⋆ (PrettyLittleMemoirs.com)
Not only is this an incredible coming-of-age story with quirks, but the characters and plot are so strong that almost instantly, I was reading more and more and the time just passed so quickly when I was enveloped in The Moment Before's world.
Brady is such an intriguing, powerful character who not only has to come to terms with the death of her sister, but now that that event has ricochetted her life values around and things she used to believe in and her thoughts about elements of her life, ar
Asheley
This excerpt is taken from my review on Into the Hall of Books. Read more here: http://www.intothehallofbooks.com/201... Please visit my full review for my complete thoughts!

I think what we have here in The Moment Before by Suzy Vitello is a genuine STORY. It begins after the main event has already occurred - I am calling Sabine's death the main event - and everything that happens in the book is like a series of events that just flat-out results from that death. People fall apart and are put ba
Megan (The Book Babe)
Other reviews at The Book Babe's Reads.

Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.

I'm going to jump right into The Moment Before. It's been a few days (between the reading and this writing), but I'm still kind of unsure about what I think. To be honest, I'm more unsure than ever about it. I kind of feel like it could have been a little better, but I definitely didn't hate it. I just didn't love it.

I liked Brady. She was kind of angry at the world, kind of just getting used to no longer bein
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Alexia
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: I received this e-ARC from Diversion Books via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

Review:
Recently, I told a fellow book blogger friend that there are a lot of criteria that goes into rating a book for me. Character development is a big one for me. It's probably number 2 on my list of criteria. Unfortunately this book failed on this criteria. The characters all bored me and I found myself not caring about anything. The only character I seemed to like was Sabine and she was dea
Samantha (ColdTeaAndCrumbs)
Brady and her family are coming to terms with the loss of Sabine, Brady’s sister, after she was killed in a cheerleading stunt gone-wrong. Sabine’s enthusiasm and energy was a major factor in the family’s unity and as Brady coasts through her mundane school and social life, she begins to imagine what Sabine would say.

Events take a turn for the worse, when Brady is deprived of the art award she so truly deserves and a downward spiral of events lead to her life becoming entwined with Connor, Sabi
Andrea
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the moment I picked up The Moment Before, I couldn't put it down. The story of Brady and the circumstances surrounding the accidental death of her sister swirls through the hallways of high school and the constraint of family--however--this is a read that colours way outside the lines of YA/ NA genres.
That Vitello is a master of her craft is no secret in writing circles, so it comes as no surprise that her debut novel is one of those reads where the reader becomes drawn in--so deftly--that
« previous 1 3 next »

• Has to Be Love
  • 8-Bit Christmas
  • Always
  • The Stud Book
  • The Secrets Between You and Me (Stolen Kiss, #2)
  • The Evolution of Emily
  • Ordinary Ghosts
  • Letting Go
  • Holly Hearts Hollywood
  • Sidelined
  • Subway Love
  • Signed, Skye Harper
  • One Night in Santiago (Stanton Family, #2)
  • Anything to Have You
  • Understudy
  • The Sweetness of Salt
  • Swimming Through Clouds
  • The Opposite of Love
Suzy Vitello is a proud founding member of a critique group recently dubbed The Hottest Writing Group in Portland, and her short stories have won fellowships and prizes (including the Atlantic Monthly Student Writing Award, and an Oregon Literary Arts Fellowship).

Suzy's young adult novels, THE MOMENT BEFORE and THE EMPRESS CHRONICLES are available wherever books and ebooks are sold.

An e-chapbook o
“Every time you love someone, it seems, you're setting yourself up for a fall.” 2 likes
“Life and death rubbed up against each other, a paper-thin border between them.” 1 likes