Start by marking “Do/ Story/: How to Tell Your Story So the World Listens” as Want to Read:
Do/ Story/: How to Tell Your Story So the World Listens

Do/ Story/: How to Tell Your Story So the World Listens

Today's world wants the story behind the story. Whether you have a company mission to share, an audience to entertain or a product to sell, we're more likely to engage and connect if you deliver a well-crafted story with an emotional core. Bobette Buster is a story consultant working with major studios such as Disney and Pixar, an adjunct professor and a lecturer in top fi ...more
Published May 21st 2013 by The Do Book Company (first published May 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Do/ Story/, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do/ Story/

Jacob Mclaws
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a short book that focuses mostly on ways to better tell stories about yourself. It isn't really about career building and it also isn't about telling funny stories at casual social events, but the tips and principles could well be applied to either situation. It was thought-provoking and has some cool writing exercises at the end that I'm looking forward to trying.

NOTES:

One of the key findings from the study 'Do You Know?' was that the more a child knows his family's 'story'- in other wo
Paul Groos
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
If some storytelling books are heavy four course meals (looking at you, Robert McKee), this is a tiny Belgian chocolate. Its center is a short, but very useful list of tips for telling personal stories. This is coated in a lovely layer of ... stories. These serve as examples, but are also inspirational in their own right. The illustrations, quotes and overall production values of the book are wonderful as well.
This book is about telling your own, personal stories. Much is applicable to telling
Andy Thornton
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytelling
Structured around some useful principles for helping ensure any story connects with the audience:

1) Tell your story as if you're telling it to a friend
2) Set the GPS (place, time, setting and context)
3) Action! (Use active verbs)
4) Juxtapose (take two ideas and let them collide)
5) Gleaming detail (an ordinary moment or thing that captures the essence of the story)
6) Hand over the spark (reflect on the idea that first captivated you and hand it to the audience)
7) Be vulnerable (share the emotion
James
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it

I am a storyteller. It is what I try to do when I blog, when I write and when I preach sermons.  I don't always tell good sermons. Or write good blogs. But I am always amazed that the things that I write that resonate with people are often snapshots of my own vulnerable experience. A job interview where I felt exposed, a hard ending to a pastoral position, angst and worry about my vocation, and me feeling stuck. When I write a book review or musings on faith or the lectionary, I make far less im
Jim Brown
I was first attracted to this book when I saw the title but I don’t remember where I saw it. I looked it up on Amazon.com and purchased the Kindle version and absolutely do not regret purchasing it.

Bobette Buster combines training with true life stories and explains what you just read and how people reacted to the stories told. It is obvious as you read the book that the author is a teacher first. She is teaching you how to tell your story so that people will actually listen and become emotional
K McG
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I value this short book for the memorable anecdotes and illustrations backing up each of the 10 principles of storytelling, and also for the writing exercises at the end which encourage you to dig deeper into your back catalogue of experiences.

Key quote is about communicating one's own truths and passions, proactively. If you really care about something, there's a requirement to capture it in an authentic way, and in a way which will inspire others too.

"...it is necessary for us to harness our
J.L. Jones
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Bobette Buster is definitely a storyteller. In “Do/Story” she tells stories about people in a way I wish I could about my life and my family’s. This book teaches you how. At the end of the book there are writing exercises that help you learn how to tell your own story. Using these exercises over and over have helped me start to tell my own story. This is a wonderful book and I highly recommend it.

In the interest of disclosure, I received a copy of this book from LibraryThing in exchange for an h
Moontoonlady
เนือหาภายในเลมเตมไปดวยตัวอยาง “เรืองเลา”นาสนใจ ทังในรูปแบบของหนังสือ สุนทรพจน บทภาพยนตร
กฎ 10 ขอของการเลาเรือง

เพราะเรืองเลานันสำคัญตองฝึกฝน
ทายเลมมีแบบฝึกหัดใหเราไดลอง “เลา”
Gigi
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
If this book is only meant to inspire, I would rate is as successful. But I do not think this small book does a lot to teach you about how to write. The many short stories do do a good job of making the reading consider how to tell their own story. It was a nice read but this won't be a memorable book for me.
Ben
Oct 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Many of the stories were so boring I skipped them - which is bad for a book that wants to show how storytelling works. Apart from the (often self-focussed stories) there were little insights at all, and even less new ones. There are much better books on the topic out there.
sarah semark
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Does what it says on the tin. Probably the best constructed of the Do books I've read thus far—not surprisingly, it really benefits from the great stories peppered throughout to keep it engaging. Made me want to write stories again.
Robert
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Practical, reliable advice on story telling pulled from real life anecdotes. Good for introducing a team—marketers, volunteers, teachers and so on—to the elements of story in an accessible way.
Jazmin Thorson
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpfull

I love that is short and very easy to follow. It has exercise to start helping you to write your story
Lucy
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
3.5 stars, really - interesting, inspiring in places, certainly useful as a way of re-thinking how you can tell a story - that is, YOUR story, and it will be personal - and tell it well.
Ken
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Bobette Buster filled this story full of antidote and colorful illustrations of told tales. An informative joy to read.
Andrea M
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this little book. It helped me rethink story. I was engaged from the beginning to the end.
Robert Cristobal
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring and a must read for storytellers. The author's insights on telling an engaging story is both practical and inspiring.
Roxanne
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a Goodreads win review. This is a short book about how to tell your story so people will listen. Whether you write books, or blogs, or social media the author gives good advice.
Melisa Blankenship
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preaching
This is a good book for storytellers or public speakers. The author breaks down the elements of story and talks about the purpose of each element. In the back there are questions that help you identify your story and compose the different parts.
Rose
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The most valuable aspect about this book is its capacity to inspire the reader to share stories. It provides a "why it matters" so heartening that the reader will have a hard time resisting the impulse.

Stories, the author explains, are the bedrock of personal growth and the evolution of society. I quote, "Stories provide a sort of psychological preparation for life's inevitable struggles. In short, they are prescriptions for courage. They illustrate how to run the race. And win."

In addition, Bu
Nicholas Finch
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic for whoever has wanted to tell a story regardless if it is fiction or non-fiction, and it also transcends through different mediums whether it be spoken word, writing or film-making. Bobette Buster breaks down the true essence of storytelling. This book is remarkably quotable and a delightful read. I had the pleasure of meeting Bobette this past weekend and her passion for her craft is inspiring. I definitely recommend this book who has ever heard a good story, so essentially everyone.
Simon Prince
Do give us more...

Quick, easy read with some powerful stories. But I don't feel as though I'm much closer to knowing how to craft one much better than before I began the book... Or that the book delivers on the promise of getting me ready to tell a story so the world listens. Furthermore, the exercises without the accompanying analysis and feedback are not nearly as valuable or impactful as it could be...
Oana
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Do not look at this book as a how-to guide on how to tell your story. It provides nuggets of inspiration, nudges you towards a blank page with words of wisdom and great examples of stories that changed communities, countries, worlds.
Best take-away: the exercises and the end of the book. Now go write your own story!
John Medendorp
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. Inspiring, instructive, and insightful. Bobette Buster knocks it out of the park with a book that is very personal, but universal in its helpfulness and application. This should be required reading for all speech classes everywhere.
Titus Hjelm
May 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Nice little book which you can read in one sitting. The principles of story presented here are quite simple but perhaps not as universal as the author likes to think. Felt like it was geared towards advertisement copy writers.
Alejandro Masferrer
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Good as an introduction to storytelling, but too general and short if you already have knowledge about it. Easy to read.
Jorge Abian
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
It reminded me the importance of a story. As Muriel Rukeyser puts it: "The world is made of stories, not atoms."
Chantal
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
pretty good
Mrs
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A succinct little book with some useful exercises. Excellent to read in conjunction with other books on the subject of storytelling.
David Webster
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Inspired me to become a better storyteller.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Representation: Cultural Representations and Signifying Practices
  • The Naked Presenter: Delivering Powerful Presentations with or Without Slides
  • Mindfire: Big Ideas for Curious Minds
  • The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint: Pitching Out Corrupts Within
  • The 7 Secrets of the Prolific: The Definitive Guide to Overcoming Procrastination, Perfectionism, and Writer's Block
  • The RSpec Book
  • The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and Societies
  • Parkinson's Law