Start by marking “Do/ Story/: How to Tell Your Story So the World Listens” as Want to Read:
Do/ Story/: How to Tell Your Story So the World Listens

Do/ Story/: How to Tell Your Story So the World Listens

Today's world wants the story behind the story. Whether you have a company mission to share, an audience to entertain or a product to sell, we're more likely to engage and connect if you deliver a well-crafted story with an emotional core. Bobette Buster is a story consultant working with major studios such as Disney and Pixar, an adjunct professor and a lecturer in top fi ...more
Published May 21st 2013 by The Do Book Company (first published May 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Do/ Story/, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do/ Story/

Start your review of Do/ Story/: How to Tell Your Story So the World Listens
Jacob McLaws
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a short book that focuses mostly on ways to better tell stories about yourself. It isn't really about career building and it also isn't about telling funny stories at casual social events, but the tips and principles could well be applied to either situation. It was thought-provoking and has some cool writing exercises at the end that I'm looking forward to trying.

NOTES:

One of the key findings from the study 'Do You Know?' was that the more a child knows his family's 'story'- in other wo
David
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Helpful tips on storytelling and poetics. Worth a read for anyone in the business of telling narratives (everyone), especially since it's so quick. Not much that's revolutionary, but a great beginner's guide.
Paul Groos
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
If some storytelling books are heavy four course meals (looking at you, Robert McKee), this is a tiny Belgian chocolate. Its center is a short, but very useful list of tips for telling personal stories. This is coated in a lovely layer of ... stories. These serve as examples, but are also inspirational in their own right. The illustrations, quotes and overall production values of the book are wonderful as well.
This book is about telling your own, personal stories. Much is applicable to telling
James
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it

I am a storyteller. It is what I try to do when I blog, when I write and when I preach sermons.  I don't always tell good sermons. Or write good blogs. But I am always amazed that the things that I write that resonate with people are often snapshots of my own vulnerable experience. A job interview where I felt exposed, a hard ending to a pastoral position, angst and worry about my vocation, and me feeling stuck. When I write a book review or musings on faith or the lectionary, I make far less im
Andy Thornton
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytelling
Structured around some useful principles for helping ensure any story connects with the audience:

1) Tell your story as if you're telling it to a friend
2) Set the GPS (place, time, setting and context)
3) Action! (Use active verbs)
4) Juxtapose (take two ideas and let them collide)
5) Gleaming detail (an ordinary moment or thing that captures the essence of the story)
6) Hand over the spark (reflect on the idea that first captivated you and hand it to the audience)
7) Be vulnerable (share the emotion
Keetha Mosley
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-favorites
I'm still thinking about the stories in this book. I haven't yet applied the concepts but I think they'll be immensely helpful.
Jim Brown
I was first attracted to this book when I saw the title but I don’t remember where I saw it. I looked it up on Amazon.com and purchased the Kindle version and absolutely do not regret purchasing it.

Bobette Buster combines training with true life stories and explains what you just read and how people reacted to the stories told. It is obvious as you read the book that the author is a teacher first. She is teaching you how to tell your story so that people will actually listen and become emotional
Kerrie
I'll be reading more of Babette Buster. Each of her chapters offer sound advise and thought provoking tips n tricks learnt by herself of other key figures the reader can easily relate to and visualise.

The short book kept me looking for more whilst thinking of how it is possible to implement lessons learnt along the way and and summarised with easy to refer to review sections. Great examples of story telling styles are offered from a very wide cross section of life and history. Two that stand ou
Kate McGhee
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I value this short book for the memorable anecdotes and illustrations backing up each of the 10 principles of storytelling, and also for the writing exercises at the end which encourage you to dig deeper into your back catalogue of experiences.

Key quote is about communicating one's own truths and passions, proactively. If you really care about something, there's a requirement to capture it in an authentic way, and in a way which will inspire others too.

"...it is necessary for us to harness our
Debbie Hagan
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This short craft book on storytelling can be read in an afternoon. What makes this a great book is the insight it gives on classic story structures and why they work. Though I've heard all these techniques before, hearing them again, in a different way, makes me want to go back to my essays and revise them. This is a good book for anyone interested in richer and more dynamic stories/essays. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is the examples are geared more toward corporate/business stor ...more
Jonni Jones
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Bobette Buster is definitely a storyteller. In “Do/Story” she tells stories about people in a way I wish I could about my life and my family’s. This book teaches you how. At the end of the book there are writing exercises that help you learn how to tell your own story. Using these exercises over and over have helped me start to tell my own story. This is a wonderful book and I highly recommend it.

In the interest of disclosure, I received a copy of this book from LibraryThing in exchange for an h
Jules
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it

The book is in the tradition of keeping the story short, sweet and not too fussy like a contemporary George Orwell. Great design. The illustrations and quotes are well placed. Chapters are short and succinct.

Bobette Buster process is to tell a good story at all costs. What never seems to get addressed is that the storytelling she does has details that rounded and omitted. We never know if her interpretation story. It left me with some ethical questions when should a story be changed ? Conversely
Charles
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
As others have pointed out it is both well structured and inspirational. The most memorable takeaway has got to be around making stories emotional and not being afraid to reveal the personal stuff.

That said, the examples didn’t seem all that related to the kinds of stories most will be picking this book up to tell, especially more career or company focused readers.

Would like to have seen some examples of a story told three different ways, to help illustrate clearly the ten rules Buster outlines
Jo
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Telling a story is one of the most powerful ways to communicate and connect with people: we are storytellers, all of us, and stories are meaningful. This is a book about how to tell stories, providing both concrete advice and engaging examples. It is, hence, a very rich book, and I feel that it will need considerably more time and thought to digest.

I think this is a book for those of us who are willing to do the work of understanding story so that we can apply it as a general skill. As that, it'
Joyce
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
You know how it can be really hard to get through a nonfiction book? Well, not this one. Love this quick read but insightful format in the DO book series. I struggle figuring out what my story is or if any parts of it are worth telling. Especially when it comes to my work and decisions there. The simplicity of the ideas shared in this read validated and are helping me think through that. Mostly just proud that I actually read the whole book (mind you it’s quite short, but still!)
Gigi
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
If this book is only meant to inspire, I would rate is as successful. But I do not think this small book does a lot to teach you about how to write. The many short stories do do a good job of making the reading consider how to tell their own story. It was a nice read but this won't be a memorable book for me.
B
Oct 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Many of the stories were so boring I skipped them - which is bad for a book that wants to show how storytelling works. Apart from the (often self-focussed stories) there were little insights at all, and even less new ones. There are much better books on the topic out there.
sarah semark
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Does what it says on the tin. Probably the best constructed of the Do books I've read thus far—not surprisingly, it really benefits from the great stories peppered throughout to keep it engaging. Made me want to write stories again.
May-Ling
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. i didn't find it useful for daily storytelling, but if you were planning a TED talk or some kind of talk of your life - a hard hitting personal story, this book seems like simple, useful prep. buster chooses popular stories that you're likely familiar with to illustrate her points.
Nick
Sep 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldnt-finish
Lol. How ironic: the book intending to guide readers on how to tell their story, is full of pointless, dull (and almost irritating) stories. I listened to the audiobook version and the author’s voice almost put me to sleep. Yawn...even reviewing it is making me sleepy 💤
Lucy
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
3.5 stars, really - interesting, inspiring in places, certainly useful as a way of re-thinking how you can tell a story - that is, YOUR story, and it will be personal - and tell it well.
Robert Cristobal
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring and a must read for storytellers. The author's insights on telling an engaging story is both practical and inspiring.
Andrea M
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this little book. It helped me rethink story. I was engaged from the beginning to the end.
Roxanne
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a Goodreads win review. This is a short book about how to tell your story so people will listen. Whether you write books, or blogs, or social media the author gives good advice.
Ken
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Bobette Buster filled this story full of antidote and colorful illustrations of told tales. An informative joy to read.
Jazmin Thorson
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpfull

I love that is short and very easy to follow. It has exercise to start helping you to write your story
Robert Heckert
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Practical, reliable advice on story telling pulled from real life anecdotes. Good for introducing a team—marketers, volunteers, teachers and so on—to the elements of story in an accessible way.
Roel
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There were some pretty nifty tips in the this book on how to tell stories. I liked it! My favourite tip: include a gleaming detail.
Christina Haas
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although short and sweet this little gem is packed with inspiration and tools to not only hone story telling skills but take s deeper dive into our psyches.
R. Kannan
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brief and actionable book on how to share stories. Highly recommend.

• Do Purpose: Why brands with a purpose do better and matter more.
  • Company of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big Thing for Business
  • Seasons of the Soul: Stages of Spiritual Development
  • Regeneration 2
  • Celebrate Durga Puja With Me! (From The Toddler Diaries)
  • The Comedians
  • Painting as a Pastime
  • The Daniel Plan: 40 Days to a Healthier Life
  • Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade
  • El día en que los leones comerán ensalada verde
  • Do Disrupt: Change the status quo. Or become it. (Motivational Book, Books about Status Quo)
  • Shaker Inspiration: Five Decades of Fine Craftsmanship
  • White
  • Emotional Intelligence: Empathy
  • Do Design: Why beauty is key to everything (Do Books Book 13)
  • Insólitas
  • On Confidence
  • Do Open: How a Simple Email Newsletter Can Transform your Business

News & Interviews

“We can appreciate the choices we need to make with objective eyes; we can vent our frustrations; sort out our confusions; untangle a web of lies even. All so that we can find our way to a much larger story. One that we control consciously now, with our eyes wide open. Through stories our true character is revealed, or transformed in the process, like the refining away of the dross in order to make gold.” 1 likes