Start by marking “Without Seeing the Dawn” as Want to Read:
Without Seeing the Dawn

Without Seeing the Dawn

The title of Stevan Javellana's only novel in English Without Seeing the Dawn was derived from one of José Rizal's character in the Spanish-language novel Noli Me Tangere or Touch Me Not. Javellana's 368-paged book has two parts, namely Day and Night. The first part, Day, narrates the story of a pre-war barrio and its people in the Panay Island particularly in Iloilo. The ...more
Published 1998 by Phoenix Press (first published 1947)

Start your review of Without Seeing the Dawn
Enrico Monasterial
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: brilliant
Look. Listen. I have read heaps of books in Philippine Literature, and by far, this is indubitably the best 'perfect book' I've ever read. After reading this delicate masterpiece, I regained a soft hum of pride for Philippine Literature, an electrifying surge of valiance, a respite from all the mediocre books I've numbly read and a gob of sympathy for the history of my country.

It was brilliant--everything was slotted perfectly. Sure, it was a cliche novel of World War II in the Philippines bu
AllynMay
Jul 30, 2009 is currently reading it
this book is set on the world war 2 years in my hometown so i must read it.. the author is kinda overly detailing his descriptions..such a long novel and hard to read..but is historically significant.
Tsetse
Aug 12, 2011 added it
I missed this book! it's been 16 years since I last read it. And it is good to have a flashback of our history. heart-felt book. =) ...more
Kareen Jean
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A BOOK REPORT ON “WITHOUT SEEING THE DAWN”
by Stevan Javellana

Without Seeing the Dawn is a story of a young man and his village. It is the story of the simple life of the people close to the soil in a certain “barrio” in the Panay Island where one can see the sweats of the farmers and their sons, diligently tilling the land with their carabaos, a place where one can hear the laughters of the children, the songs of serenades by the young men, and a place where one can feel the love and contentment
Kristine M
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
a surprising read. i never expected it. it was assigned reading but it tugged my heart as i went along the pages. in the end, i couldn'nt put it down and read it in one sitting. ...more
Rezza
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This beautiful novel of fine storyline, crafted in such a way that elicits mixed and profound feelings while one could almost always without a hitch relate to the utmost struggles of every Filipino during the tragic Japanese occupation of the Philippines, World War II.

I got stirred up to tears. Read on and you'll know what I mean!
Lyn Corral
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have read when I was studying. It led me to appreciate and love the Filipiniana section of the library and gave me a sense of pride on our Philippine lit.Until now, I can feel the simplicity of life, the tragedy of war and the hope in love.
Stephanie Chu
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Crying, my memory whenever I recall this, writhing, pained, memorable. Especially if you realize what the title meant. Carding, will always be a sad sad name, but is it relateable, i guess its not, well i hope its not, because i lived my life free of this, but the new gen seems to like this, even if he is filipino and not japanese. And they feel empowered by giving away power or better word freedom to think.well lets just hope i am wrong and this is clearly just about the japanese occupation and ...more
Nick Burgoyne
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I recently visited the Philippines and returned with some literary classics, of which this was one of them.

Although it begins slowly as a fictionalised description of Philippine culture, the book is like a slowly brewing thunderstorm. The emotions in it are subtle but deep, and I felt moved by the lives of these characters. The fate of the couple at the heart of the story will haunt me for a long time.
Zacc
Aug 30, 2020 marked it as to-read
marked it as to-read
GeeGeeVee
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one of our required readings in college. Proud of myself for finishing this. :)
Mary
Mar 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book was a reading requirement in my Humanities class twenty years ago. One of the best written books by a Filipino author in my opinion
ATHENA
Jun 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
It was my first book by Javellana and I am ready for more.
Dante Kraus
May 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
While I was reading Without Seeing the Dawn , I knew for a fact I was encountering totally original material that was both fresh and exciting.
Michael
please i want to read it
Elaine
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mikko Peralta
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a requirement way back in college which started quite slow and ended with a bang.

It tells a story of Carding, an Ilonggo, his ups and downs, and his village's fall amongst Japanese soldiers during WWII.

Moving... Amazing...
Anne Antoja
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i Love it
Ruselle Detubio
i want to read this !
Gigi
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books ever! Tells us of how life was during the war. Touching and a must read!
Lovely
Shelves: asd
awesome
Thin
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
good
Nicole Pascasio
one of a kind story. two thumbs up :)
Arnel Soriano
Mar 10, 2014

• 101 Essays That Will Change The Way You Think
  • The One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
  • The Trading Code
  • Rich Dad's Increase Your Financial IQ: Get Smarter with Your Money
  • Trading Mentors: Learn Timeless Strategies And Best Practices From Successful Traders
  • Momentum Masters: A Roundtable Interview with Super Traders
  • The Purpose of Christmas
  • Trade Like a Stock Market Wizard: How to Achieve Super Performance in Stocks in Any Market
  • Good Vibes, Good Life: How Self-Love Is the Key to Unlocking Your Greatness
  • The Last Romeo
  • Speak with Power and Confidence: Tested Ideas for Becoming a More Powerful Communicator
  • STOCKS SMARTS: Stress-Free Investing
  • The New Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Risk Management, and Record-Keeping
  • Think & Trade Like a Champion: The Secrets, Rules & Blunt Truths of a Stock Market Wizard
  • Mindset Secrets for Winning: How to Bring Personal Power to Everything You Do - EXPANDED EDITION - Bonus 80 Pages
  • Motivate: 8 Secrets of Successful Parenting
  • Salamanca
Javellana was born in 1918 in Iloilo. He fought as a guerrilla during the Japanese invasion of the Philippines. After World War II, he graduated from the University of the Philippines College of Law in 1948. He stayed in the United States afterwards but he died in the Visayas in 1977 at the age of 59.

Javellana was the author of a best-selling war novel in the United States (U.S.) and Manila, Witho

News & Interviews

As the summer comes to a close and the days grow shorter, it's natural that we're drawn to what hides in the shadows. Mystery stories are...