Start by marking “Without Seeing the Dawn” as Want to Read:
Without Seeing the Dawn

Without Seeing the Dawn

The title of Stevan Javellana's only novel in English Without Seeing the Dawn was derived from one of José Rizal's character in the Spanish-language novel Noli Me Tangere or Touch Me Not. Javellana's 368-paged book has two parts, namely Day and Night. The first part, Day, narrates the story of a pre-war barrio and its people in the Panay Island particularly in Iloilo. The ...more
Published 1998 by Phoenix Press (first published 1947)

Enrico Monasterial
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Look. Listen. I have read heaps of books in Philippine Literature, and by far, this is indubitably the best 'perfect book' I've ever read. After reading this delicate masterpiece, I regained a soft hum of pride for Philippine Literature, an electrifying surge of valiance, a respite from all the mediocre books I've numbly read and a gob of sympathy for the history of my country.

It was brilliant--everything was slotted perfectly. Sure, it was a cliche novel of World War II in the Philippines bu
AllynMay
Jul 30, 2009 is currently reading it
this book is set on the world war 2 years in my hometown so i must read it.. the author is kinda overly detailing his descriptions..such a long novel and hard to read..but is historically significant.
Tsetse
Aug 12, 2011 added it
I missed this book! it's been 16 years since I last read it. And it is good to have a flashback of our history. heart-felt book. =)
Kristine Miralles
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
a surprising read. i never expected it. it was assigned reading but it tugged my heart as i went along the pages. in the end, i couldn'nt put it down and read it in one sitting.
Rezza
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This beautiful novel of fine storyline, crafted in such a way that elicits mixed and profound feelings while one could almost always without a hitch relate to the utmost struggles of every Filipino during the tragic Japanese occupation of the Philippines, World War II.

I got stirred up to tears. Read on and you'll know what I mean!
Lyn Corral
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have read when I was studying. It led me to appreciate and love the Filipiniana section of the library and gave me a sense of pride on our Philippine lit.Until now, I can feel the simplicity of life, the tragedy of war and the hope in love.
Kareen Jean
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A BOOK REPORT ON “WITHOUT SEEING THE DAWN”
by Stevan Javellana

Without Seeing the Dawn is a story of a young man and his village. It is the story of the simple life of the people close to the soil in a certain “barrio” in the Panay Island where one can see the sweats of the farmers and their sons, diligently tilling the land with their carabaos, a place where one can hear the laughters of the children, the songs of serenades by the young men, and a place where one can feel the love and contentment
GeeGeeVee
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one of our required readings in college. Proud of myself for finishing this. :)
Michael
please i want to read it
Sel
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a requirement at school. I'll be honest-- I really thought at first that I would find this slow and not interesting. But I was SO wrong!

As time went by (as well as the days counting towards the deadline), the action built up and immediately took my attention. I really felt the emotions coming from this novel. The fear and danger you face during the tragic times of war. The hardships of life and the pain of losing the people you love. The writing style is much too descriptive for me, bu
Elaine
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mikko Peralta
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a requirement way back in college which started quite slow and ended with a bang.

It tells a story of Carding, an Ilonggo, his ups and downs, and his village's fall amongst Japanese soldiers during WWII.

Moving... Amazing...
Anne Antoja
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i Love it
Ruselle Detubio
i want to read this !
Gigi
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books ever! Tells us of how life was during the war. Touching and a must read!
Lovely
Shelves: asd
awesome
Thin
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
good
Nicole Pascasio
one of a kind story. two thumbs up :)
Arnel Soriano
Mayet
Mar 09, 2017
  • Bamboo in the Wind
  • State of War
  • Mass (Rosales Saga, #5)
  • Utos Ng Hari At Iba Pang Kuwento
  • El Filibusterismo
  • Reportage on Lovers: A Medley of Factual Romances, Happy or Tragical, Most of Which Made News
  • Heart of Ice (Nancy Drew: Files, #103)
  • The Umbrella Country
  • Pocket Dictionary of Signing, Revised and Expanded
  • The Best of Youngblood
  • The Swarm
  • Master Your Memory: More Inspiring Ways To Increase The Power Of Your Memory, Focus And Creativity
  • Twisted
  • Mazes and Monsters
  • Eating Fire and Drinking Water
  • Last Seen After Midnight (Trese, #4)
  • Ang Mag-Anak na Cruz: Katha na Pumapaksa sa Pagpapahalagang Pilipino
  • Days of Disquiet, Nights of Rage: The First Quarter STorm and Other Related Events
Javellana was born in 1918 in Iloilo. He fought as a guerrilla during the Japanese invasion of the Philippines. After World War II, he graduated from the University of the Philippines College of Law in 1948. He stayed in the United States afterwards but he died in the Visayas in 1977 at the age of 59.

Javellana was the author of a best-selling war novel in the United States (U.S.) and Manila, Witho