Start by marking “No Way Back” as Want to Read:
No Way Back

No Way Back

Jimmy Thane knows all about crossroads. Every time he’s faced with one he’s taken the wrong path. At the peak of his career, he chose alcohol. When his job became shaky, he turned to drugs. And when his wife lost faith in him, he turned to other women. Now, Jimmy’s clean, and he’s at a new crossroad: he’s landed the job of a CEO at a failing company in South Florida and ha ...more
Published April 15th 2014 by Pegasus Books (first published March 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about No Way Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Way Back

Start your review of No Way Back
Dave
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Struggled whether to give it 2 or 3 stars. The book kept me gripped until the last 20-30 pages. It got, how can I put it, stupid after that, as if the author hadn't really thought it through and had to throw in an ending.
If the story ending gripped me like the rest of the book, easily 5 stars. But the ending really disappointed. I was left very disappointed
Miles
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review on my blog - http://www.milorambles.com/2013/03/02...

No Way Back by Matthew Klein is one of those books you’ll either love or hate! Jimmy Thane is one of those characters you’ll love getting to know or feel exasperation at every turn.

A curious book, No Way Back was a frustrating and uncomfortable read in so much as it had me on edge from beginning to end. Jimmy is an alcoholic, a drug addict, a sex addict and with every turn of the page I was just waiting for him to explode, to make a wrong decision and continue
Maggie Franz
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Matthew Klein, wow. In his novel No Way Back Matthew Klein has...well that one just about left me speechless. This novel, is a thriller in a class of its own. After reading the book, I sat trying to find something to compare it to, to find some way to describe it to you. The only thing I could liken it to is like a mountain bike ride through western Pennsylvania. Bear with me here. The story maintains a steady progression through the plot’s undulations, a good pace interjected with juicy or ...more
Francesca
This would have been a 5 star review but I had to drop it down because I didn't like the ending. Yes, I enjoy books with a twist but not when it's such a twisty-twist that everything you've read so far becomes null and void.

I really enjoyed the first two-thirds of No Way Back. It starts out normally enough but of course, we know things will slowly tip upside down. The further down the rabbit hole that Jimmy and the reader fall, the more addicting the story becomes until nothing makes sense anym
Katie
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ever write a ridiculous story in primary school and then cover your butt by finishing it with "and she woke up and realised it was all a dream..."?

This book is the thriller equivalent. The only reason I'm forgiving it is because the "voice" of the narrator is so clear and enjoyable to start with.
Ken Heard
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Matthew Klein really conveys the paranoia and gonzo freakout associated with meth, money and attempts at overcoming addictions. The novel's protagonist, Jim Thane, is a recovering addict of drugs, booze, women, gambling, you name it. He tries to set his path straight when he takes over a failing computer software company in Florida.

But as he delves into his new job, he discovers missing money and missing people. His wife is behaving weirdly and he, himself, starts acting irrational.
Ruth Ann
Josh
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy. Shit. That was an intense read, to say the least. The last, say, 10 pages were a bit out of left field, but the first 450 made up for it.

This is a book that grabs you, brings you along for a ride, then just spits you out when it's done with you.

Not going to ruin it with spoilers, but the ending was quite unexpected. Quality read.
Sue Gully
Nov 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this book. I struggled to get into it until about 25% in and then it gripped me for a little while, so I stuck with it and then it got just simply dumb. I agree with another reviewer ... you either hate it or love it. I hated it. Not much of a review but if I say anything else then I'll move into spoilers. Oh except the programmer ... he was believable!!
Christopher Williams
This starts well but becomes confused and at the end a little unconvincing.
Rose
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
DNF I gave up at chapter 8. It reminded me too much of work! Other reviews indicate that they found this novel gripping, perhaps I should have persevered, but I just wasn't hooked.
Andrew Canion
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Deborah Bullivant
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: k
Yuck, double yuck and not forgetting, tripple yuck. Sorry. I love to try new (to me) authors but only managed first two pages.
Marleen
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jimmy Thane is a human disaster zone. His past is littered with stupid mistakes and fatal decisions. He has been clean for over two years after spending years addicted to everything a man can be addicted to; drink, drugs, women, you name it Jimmy Thane has abused it. And in the middle of all that self-destructive behaviour his five year old son died, a death he blames himself for. So Jimmy Thane should be grateful; grateful that his wife is still with him and grateful that an old friend has offe ...more
Karen
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The perfect thriller for everyone who has ever worked in a corporate environment" may not exactly sound like much of a recommendation, and early on in NO WAY BACK, thriller fans could be excused for wondering what on earth they are doing in a story that seems obsessed with the mechanics and machinations of high-tech company restarts. Stick with it. All is not as it seems.

It goes without saying that Jimmy Thane has had a rather chequered background, and initially it seems like he's s
Amy
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gird your loins, faithful readers, because this book will take you on a ride the likes of which you have not experienced since, well, a long, long time.

Post-rehab for drugs, booze, and broads, Jimmy Thane is at the end of his tether. He's been forced to move from the west coast to hot, sweltering, Florida, where he's been installed as the CEO of a company in deep, deep trouble. Sort of similar to the deep, deep trouble in which Jimmy himself is in.

Jimmy's marriage is also suffering, and his wi
Douglas Lord
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Klein’s crisp, original voice is all at once peppy, funny, snappy, and darkly humorous and this thriller—his first since the cool Con Ed (2007)—is first person–narrated by likable turnaround executive Jim Thane. He’s the guy you bring in to replace your incompetent CEO when your company (say, a software maker) is losing beaucoup money (say, upwards of $3M a month) and you can’t make it stop. Jimmy is bright and genuinely motivated to redeem himself after bottoming out, derailed by booze, drugs, ...more
Lou Tennant
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
I was lucky enough to receive this book for free through the Goodreads First Reads offer.

The main character in Matthew Klein’s No Way Back is an unappealing man by the name of Jim Thane. A recovering alcoholic, sex addict, gambler, drug addict…there is in truth nothing to like about this man. It is this fact that makes this such a wonderful book. I found that it did not matter that I did not like Jim, I was still drawn into being concerned about his fight for the truth and his
Peacejanz
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is an exciting mystery with many twists and turns. There are many characters so take notes from the beginning. Jimmy was given a "second chance" to turn his life around; his college buddy appointed him as CEO of a failing high-tech firm in Florida. One of his first tasks was to fire most of the employees. He decided to find out where all the money was going but his attempts to follow the money-trail led to trouble; with the company, with the FBI, with his marriage, and with his AA spon ...more
Craig Howe
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
No Way Back is a wild ride.  At times it is entertaining; others, it stretches credibility.  At moments it is touching; others, so dark it prompts the reader to quit.

The story is simple. Jimmy Thane thinks that his new job as the CEO of a failing company is his last opportunity to life around. In the past each time he usually opts for the wrong path. At the peak of his career, he turned alcohol:  later he opted for drugs. And when his wife lost faith in him, he turned to other women.
L.E. Truscott
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those books that I picked up on the strength of the cover and a few words - "They know everything. They control everyone. Even you." Boy, did I get lucky! I really, really enjoyed this book. From the first few chapters, which are ostensibly just about a guy at work, I was completely hooked and I finished reading it in only two sittings.

"No Way Back" is really well written, intriguing, insightful and had that one thing I always hope for in a book - an ending that I jus
Ingrid Spera
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
I "read" this book as an audiobook and I was so looking forward to it after having read Con Ed, but I was severely disappointed. The book was well written and was fairly easy to get into, but there was nothing redeeming about Jimmy Thane. I disliked just about everything about him and by the end of the book I was almost praying something would happen to him just to put me out of my misery. The only reason I'm even giving this two stars is because I liked the twist at the end when you realize wha ...more
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love the voice that Matthew Klein breathes into each one of his characters in this thrilling, suspenseful book, NO WAY BACK. The main character is the like-able loser, Jimmy Thane, who is sent to hell (aka Florida in the summer) to redeem himself. Thane turns from being hopefully optimistic to cautiously optimistic to paranoid to running for his freaking life in this fast-past, well written novel.

The twists were so twisted that I felt like I was reading on a roller coaster. And what a wild an
Tom
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, thriller
No Way Back is a fast paced thriller, and quite good. There are a lot of twists and turns, with new pieces of information falling into place, or older pieces meaning becoming apparent. Some times it was pretty easy to figure out what was going on and about to happen, other times, well, the results come out of left field.

It's definitely worth a read for those that like suspense and thriller type novels.
Reader57
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
For the most part I liked this book, though the character of Jimmy Thane is not a likeable character really. However, the tension was good as the book progressed and you weren't sure who was the good guys and who the bad guys. Unfortunately, I had to read the last few chapters twice and am still not sure I know exactly what was going on. Klein was let down by his editor in bringing this mystery to a successful close.
Ed
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
The writing and character work is so surprising and strong, it wasn't until it was done I realized how many times I've seen this story. That's not a criticism, quite the opposite. The author manages to make a dead child, the hackiest of all narrative devices, feel earned and essential. Not sure I fully buy/follow the very end but this was a real page turner as I demand all good books should be. Fleet and compelling.
Mike Cruden
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was hooked by the blurb for this book, and it started out so well. In fact it's two-thirds good, but let down by such a weak ending. The plot becomes more and more ludicrous and unbelievable as it proceeds. The book does contain some decent characters and the writing is good but the final feeling is deflation and a strong sense of deception and disappointment that you've wasted six hours or so.
Danneo
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: love-it
So far so good

1/12/15- Finished, never in a million would I have thought of the ending, pretty brilliant, the charm and ending just wants me to accept and so I know there some major loop holes, but I'm walled now.

Ending makes you think, distracting you from the loops, but I have no problem with that. Goodread :)
Ramona Flowers
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
i give 2.5 stars for this book..well, for me this book actually has a good story but i dont know why i cant make it till the end, i only went through half the book and stopped.. maybe it contains so much twists n plots and that my mind cant bear.. haha
Nathan
Jan 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat seedy and unnecessarily explicit (I skipped several large chunks of sexual scenes); nonetheless some novel ideas and an interesting premise. Well written, well paced and engaging, but not highly recommended because of the poo in the cookie (if you don't know what that means, ask me :-)
I have many questions....Any takers? 1 8 Jun 22, 2014 10:54AM
I have many questions....Any takers? 1 4 Jun 22, 2014 10:51AM

• One by One (Robert Hunter, #5)
  • The Perfect Wife
  • Abandoned (Smoky Barrett #4)
  • The Girl with a Clock for a Heart
  • Demain est une autre vie
  • Greenlight
  • Company
  • Inside The Foreign Legion: The Sensational Story Of The World's Toughest Army
  • You Can't Hide (Romantic Suspense, #5; Chicago, #4)
  • The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan #2)
  • The Paul Mcdonald Mystery Series Vol. 1-2: With Bonus Short Story!
  • Water Under the Bridge (The Water Series, #1)
  • Saint Justice (Christopher Wren #1)
  • End of the Lane (A Dear Abby Cozy Mystery #1)
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
  • The Odessa File
  • Frozen Stiff (Chase Adams #1)
  • The Boat Man (Reed & Billie, #1)
Matthew Klein is a software programmer, entrepreneur, and novelist.