Start by marking “Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)

Lines of Departure (Frontlines #2)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  12,330 Ratings  ·  587 Reviews
Vicious interstellar conflict with an indestructible alien species. Bloody civil war over the last habitable zones of the cosmos. Political unrest, militaristic police forces, dire threats to the solar system…

Humanity is on the ropes, and after years of fighting a two-front war with losing odds, so is Commonwealth Defense Corps officer Andrew Grayson. He dreams of dropping
Published January 28th 2014 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Lines of Departure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lines of Departure

Bradley
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'd been meaning to read this one for a while ever since Marko Kloos withdrew it from the Hugo nominations in '15 because of the Sad Puppy controversy. I respected his decision. It also turned me on to two great authors I probably never would have read, otherwise.

I never really considered myself a fan of Mil-SF. Not really. But then I keep reading great Mil-SF.

Marko Kloos has a style that's extremely readable. It's clear as hell with a charming and droll voice. It certainly helps, considering th
Mike (the Paladin)
Before you pick this book up let me tell you this, it ends in one H*** of a cliffhanger. I mean it ties up local events but...other events are far from tied up.

And I have no idea how long before we'll see another novel.

What Mr. Kloos? Did someone tell you writers get a life or something?

Lindsay
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Markos Kloos levels up as a writer with a fantastic second book.

It is five years after the events of Terms of Enlistment. Grayson and Halley have just re-enlisted in the NAC armed forces, but things are grim everywhere. Humans are still fighting among themselves, both in terms of the NAC and SRA, and in terms of civilian riots on Earth. Meanwhile human activity in space is undergoing a full rout with the Lankies taking world after world with the NAC and SRA being annoyances at best.

There is very
Mr. Matt
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lines of Departure picks up approximately five years after the events of the first book in the series, Terms of Enlistment. And those five years were not good to humanity. About half of Earth's precious colonies have been wiped out by the relentless, unfathomable Lankies. Meanwhile, on Earth the domestic situation is growing increasingly dire. With every resource being thrown at the military, already meager rations are cut. The colony lottery is stopped. The pressure valves are gone and unrest b ...more
Gary
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
My reaction to Terms of Enlistment - the first book in Marko Kloos' Frontlines series - was mixed, but mostly positive. I said at the end of that review that in spite of Kloos' obvious talent, I was unsure if I wanted to continue reading this particular series. After finishing Lines of Departure, I am glad I ignored my earlier misgivings. The sequel maintains all of the qualities I enjoyed in the first book, and irons out most of the unevenness that gave me reservations about coming back for mor ...more
Chris Bauer
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This worthy follow up to "Terms of Enlistment" is simply awesome. I'm not sure if it is because the author writes in a style that I find particularly appealing or what, but once I started this book, I could not put it down.

The pace is perfect. The characters are vivid and interesting. The most fascinating aspect about the protagonist is that he has no super edge, no ace up the sleeve trick to get out trouble. He is an everyman, thrust into difficult positions, with only his conscience and traini
Lianne Pheno
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it

En voila un tome très sympa. Une ambiance plus sombre que le premier mais toujours dans le même esprit, j'ai vraiment bien aimé cette lecture.

Nous suivons la suite des aventures d'Andrew Grayson dans les forces militaires. Cinq années sont passées depuis la fin du premier tome est la situation a pas mal évolué. Mais évolué dans le mauvais sens car les humains sont incapable de tenir tête aux aliens et se contentent de leur mener la vie la plus dure qu'ils
David
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Starship troopers, mutinous master sergeants, alien kaiju
Marko Kloos is one of the new crop of self-published authors who acquired enough of an audience to break into the big leagues (or at least the midlister leagues). I enjoyed his first book, Terms of Enlistment, and found the second book in the series to be better; Kloos is definitely developing as a writer. Where Terms of Enlistment was a fairly by-the-numbers knock-off of Starship Troopers, Lines of Departure takes place several years later and further develops the universe and its politics.

In t
Mike (the Paladin)
Before you pick this book up let tell you this, it ends in one H*** of a cliffhanger. I mean it ties up local events but...other events are far from tied up.

And I have no idea how long before we'll see another novel.

What Mr. Kloos? Did someone tell you writers get a life or something?

Anyway, another good read, maybe even an exceptional read. For those of you who like more "depth" in your action we are becoming a bit more introspective here. I think it had to go that way due to transpiring events
Bee
The second book in the series lived up to my expectations. Great sci-fi, great military sci-fi esp. Kloos is a good writer, his characters are likable and his tech and military understanding is obvious. The book ends on much more of a cliffhanger than the previous one, which drives me crazy as i don't yet see the publishing date of the next installment. Arg! If you like Starship Troopers, or John Ringo their ilk, you're going to love this.
Belinda Lewis
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Enjoyed this one a lot less than the first one.

Its not the book's fault.

I find descriptions of military strategy and tactics dull, and when 80% of the book is about war (which is totally fair and reasonable and to be expected when reading military sci-fi), I'm just not that into it.

Cool characters and story line just wish they spent more time hugging it out or something :P

Nathaniel
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Although Marko Kloos withdrew Lines of Departure from Hugo consideration this year, I wanted to read it anyway to gauge the impact of the Sad / Rabid Puppies. (Just Google that if you're unaware of what it is.) I even started with Terms of Enlistment because at just $7 on Audible and only about 10 hours long, it wasn't hard to get that in before tackling the second book in the series.

Basically, Lines of Departure takes everything that was pretty good in Terms of Enlistment and makes it better. T
Casey Hampton
In Lines of Departure, Marko Kloos picks up where Terms of Enlistment left off. Earth is overpopulated, various terrestrial governments are still warring with one another in space as people colonize the stars, and there's a new nearly indestructible alien species that appears determined to exterminate mankind.

The combat scenes are crisp and the action flows at a nice clip. For the majority of the narrative, we tag along with Andrew Grayson as he along with his fellow NAC troopers battle the Lan
Brianne Reeves
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This one gets a more accurate 2.5/2.75, and note, I've got spoilers and will try to code appropriately.

I'm mostly still of the same position. Grayson is less of a sociopath, but none of the characters has too much development. I was pleased to see some attention and background being given to Grayson's mother, but by and large there's a lack of character development all around.

The worldbuilding is pretty lacking still. I still don't understand why the world is the way it is. There's no explanat
Sandi
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sandi by: Hugo
Shelves: sff
This is an exceedingly well-written space military book. I have a few quibbles with some aspects of the story but I heartily endorse this to anyone who likes gritty futuristic war books pitting Homo sapiens against an implacable, inscrutable alien species that is capable of kicking humanity's butt. I like the way the author does not belabor the lack of knowledge about these aliens that are so clearly (at this point anyway) beyond our technological status. The likelihood that our planet would sti ...more
M Hamed
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, military-sci-fi
dinosaur aliens ,corrupt government ,civil war,space war with the Russian and the Chinese

and you leave all that and talk about some insignificant mutiny by some self-absorbed boys for half the book
Dana Stabenow
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Even better than the first one, and Sergeant Fallon is back, which makes me very happy.
Eric Allen
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
An Opinionated Look At:

Marko Kloos' Lines of Departure

By Eric Allen

I'm a really big military Sci-fi fan. I'll read just about any military sci-fi book that I come across, and find something good to say about it. It's very rare that I come across one that I don't find at least something to enjoy in, and Lines of Departure is no exception. I was given this book by a friend, and only after finishing it, did I realize that it is actually the second book of the series. Oops.

The Earth is highly overpo
Steffan
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars
Briel
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This is not my genre. Military sci-fi that's light on the sci-fi? No thanks. But somehow, this is compelling stuff. I can't even pinpoint why. I liked Andrew much more in this book than the first one, he's still growing up but at least he spent some time appreciating his mother. There are some casual racism moments (eight) on the part of the author. But really, this is very unobjectionable fare. I'm chasing the 4.8 potential of the fifth book due to FOMO.
Per Gunnar
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Grayson’s adventures continues in Lines of Departure. This book series is yet another of those apocalyptic visions of our future were incompetent politicians have created an unsustainable welfare state which is about to come crashing down on them. Well, at least that is pretty much the backdrop. The book is, luckily, not really about said welfare state but about Andrew Grayson, his (mis)adventures in the North American Defense Corps and, of course, about the fact that Earth is about to be ...more
Cst
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: military-scifi
I went through three distinct phases while reading this book:
For about the first half, the book was not as strong as its predecessor, more three than four stars. Then at about half way came a great twist I will try not to spoil. I didn't like it at all and I had to really work on reading further. The finale did much to bring me around and I await the next book, but I still cannot overlook this huge problem in the middle of the book.

But frankly there were problems in this book that happened muc
AudioBookReviewer
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ABR's full Lines of Departure audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

I really enjoyed the first book in the Frontlines series, so giving book two a shot only seemed natural. I really hope that Kloos can create the same magic, the same intensity, the same well developed story. Many times a second book in a series will lack in the same energy and intensity as the first. I really hope that Kloos can keep this from happening.

I have suddenly found myself listening to more
Steven Stennett
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Milatory science fiction is by far one of my most guilty pleasures. Man down! On my six! Tango down!

All those male over used cliches, that we so all love to let trip off our tongues, making you feel like the proverbial on line gamer, and returning you to that sweet spot in your life around 9 years old when shooting somebody with your finger did not make you look like a potential mass murderer.

Mr Kloos is pulling this off with sincere aplomb.

There are a set of books all running along similar l
Aildiin
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, novels
As I had read on the net, this second book is much better than the first one. The plot is better developed and makes sense and familiar faces from the first book make a come-back.
Character development is still a little low but the pace of the story keeps you reading for more.
This is definitly above the average self published book and worth of comparison with a lot of books published by big editors and it could easily compete well with a lot of Baen Books. Still not worthy of a Hugo nomination in
Shane Short
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I don't know why everyone gave this book higher marks. I also don't know what Kloos was thinking. He finished the first book with an awesome Kaiju / military Sci-fi twist and screwed it up with the start of this book. His writing style changed, he threw things into the story from the start that left you wondering if you missed three or four chapters somewhere, and he didn't finish or add to the Kaiju plot he added in the first book.

The only reason I gave this book three stars is that I hope Klo
Ms. Nikki
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible, sci-fi
Grayson seems to be a bystander of the war at times. I definitely noticed the lack of character development although there are a few that I like hearing about.

A lot of the time I can't imagine the landscape when fighting on the ground or in the stars. Inadequate World-building or just my lack of attention? You can be the judge.

I'm starting to wonder if anyone wants to wins this war. The humans are getting their assessment kicked.

Again, the narrator does an excellent job of keeping the story inte
Conal
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The continuing adventures of Andrew Grayson and this one builds throughout the story to a furious conclusion. Marko Kloos really knows how to write stories that appeal to love of Military sci-fi and space opera. Really looking forward to the conclusion of this trilogy.

5 stars for a great read and recommended for any fans of military sci-fi (though you should read the first one of this series before this one).
Elizabeth Perez
I think this is the first time where I thought a squeal was better than the first book in the series, or very close to being as good. They are both solid five stars from me.

I normally don't like series or military science fiction but this was just such an amazing fast paced story with relatable characters. I am a veteran but I think anyone could enjoy this book especially if you liked Terms of Enlistment.
Jennifer Lanak
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: bowties-are-cool
I picked up this series as part of my Kindle Unlimited subscription, wanting something in the sci-fi genre. This second book in the series is an improvement over the first, but I still think it is average. At least this time around, we are fighting the Lankie aliens.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is that bugs me most - there is a lot of action/battle scenes, but they lack something; the romantic subplot moves forward, but it is still superficial in feelings (maybe both characters really
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
  • For Honor We Stand
  • A Sword Into Darkness
  • Ark Royal (Ark Royal, #1)
  • Europa Strike (Heritage Trilogy, #3)
  • Dust World (Undying Mercenaries, #2)
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
  • The Cost of Victory (Crimson Worlds #2)
  • Imperfect Sword (The Lost Stars, #3)

Frontlines (6 books)
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Keep in mind that without the law, we’re not a military, just an armed gang that dresses alike.” 7 likes
“I fight because it’s the only way I have to control my destiny at least a little bit.” 3 likes