Start by marking “Taking God at His Word: Why the Bible Is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough, and What That Means for You and Me” as Want to Read:

The Bible stands at the heart of the Christian faith, but people disagree about its nature and authority. Can we trust the Bible completely? Is it sufficient for our complicated lives? Can we really know what it teaches? And isn't it more important to focus on Jesus instead of the Bible?

With his characteristic wit and clarity, Kevin DeYoung has written an accessible
Published April 30th 2014 by Crossway Books (first published April 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Taking God at His Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking God at His Word

Start your review of Taking God at His Word: Why the Bible Is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough, and What That Means for You and Me
Mark Jr.
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, 2014
Great stuff, no complaints. I always profit from DeYoung. He succeeded in showing, from the Bible, that the Bible is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough.

He gets three stars only because I'm grading him against his own high standards. He's an expert popularizer, gifted to humbly and memorably teach the church from the Bible using good current scholarship. He makes me think of a childrens author I heard recently talking to the New York Times, who said that his great challenge was to be like Rocky and
Allison Anderson Armstrong
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Clear and helpful, written for non-theologians to be able to understand. I feel like I have a stronger faith in the Bible now, and exactly what it says, translation aside. If you want to strengthen your faith in the Bible and why we put our whole trust in it, read this book!
Matthew
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kevin DeYoung is easily one of my favorite writers to read. Since his book with Ted Kluck, Why Were Not Emergent, Ive enjoyed basically everything hes written. With his newest, Taking God at His Word, DeYoung sets out to rebuild confidence in and love for the Bible, the Word of God, in a world that through various ways and means has sought to belittle and malign it. Beginning with the vision of the Psalmist in Psalm 119, basically a love poem about the Scriptures, and ending with the familiar 2 ...more
Becky Pliego
An excellent introduction to the Doctrine of Scripture.
Rachel
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
An excellent little book, not scholarly, but a solid starting place for Christians on one of the most important battlefields of our day. We need to get back to Scripture, and *really* believe in the sufficiency, inerrancy, and perspicuity of the Word of God.
Will Barbour
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A helpful, concise book on the key biblical passages regarding God's word. My favorite chapter was on 1 Corinthians 2, a passage I was not expecting DeYoung to cover. I wish this book had aimed at a more broad audience with more support from extra-biblical sources and even commentators, but overall it gave me more confidence in the SCAN of the Bible. SCAN (sufficiency, clarity, authority, necessity). This book also got me asking this question: while this book is divine, how can we neglect the ...more
Cliff
DeYoung's writing is always clear and engaging. This is my favorite of his books so far. After reading it, I am more hungry to read God's Word. This will be one that I will reread if I feel my zeal for the Bible diminish. Do yourself a favor and read this book!
Andy
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Deeply and profoundly calling the Christian to embrace the Bible and not the modern takes of making it fit the world
John
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, kindle, apologetics
This is a brief, but well-written defense of a high view of Scripture. He doesn't use the term innerrancy often, maybe only a couple of times. The subtitle of the book is a very good summation of his purpose in writing the book.

The Bible has come under increasing attack over the last two hundred years--especially in our own generation, so much so, that many "scholars" argue that there was no historical Adam, and so on.

DeYoung insists upon the Bible's authority and not putting reason over it,
L-T Hopper
Jun 11, 2015 added it
Shelves: theology
A punchy book on the Bible that gives you the core beliefs about the Bible. The basis for every chapter is a passage from the Bible illustrating the fact that the Bible is it's best witness. It is a clear and simple explanation of the sufficiency, clarity, authority and necessity of the Bible from the Bible. It is helpfully supplemented with historical theology. Overall a very easy book to read and a great introduction to the theology of the Bible.
Kyle Oliphint
What a wonderful providence of God that Kevin DeYoung's newest book, "Taking God at His Word: Why the Bible is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough and What That Means for You and Me" would be published right now. With the attempt to redefine what marriage is, what sex is and for whom, and various attempts in the church and academy to undermine God's Word and our understanding of it (and Him), this is a welcome resource.

Not too long ago my alma mater, Westminster Theological Seminary, was in the
Josh
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
Kevin DeYoung is one of my favorite authors and his works prove themselves time and again to be immensely approachable but not light. He covers topics with a striking balance of depth and clarity and I am time and again blessed by his work, be it published books, blog articles, or sermons and lectures. This time DeYoung sets out to tackle the topic of Gods Word. This is a subject of great breadth that you would think could not be covered very well in just 130 pages, but that is just one of many ...more
Christopher S.
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this slender volume, author and Pastor, Kevin DeYoung, effectively and cogently defends the sufficiency, clarity (classically termed perspicuity), authority, and the necessity of the Bible. It is not an easy task to condense the doctrine of Scripture into 124 pages, but DeYoung certainly accomplished this feat and he did it with excellence. DeYoung distilled the doctrine of Scripture to its essence.

So why read a book on the doctrine of Scripture? Read Genesis 3 and you will understand. The
Michele Morin
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Knowable, Necessary, and Enough

Ive heard it many times and from the most unexpected sources:

I try to read the Bible, but . . . it doesnt seem to say anything to me. I dont understand what Im reading. It doesnt help me, so I end up quitting . .

Set this response beside Davids from Psalm 119:

129 Your testimonies are wonderful;
Therefore my soul keeps them.
130 The entrance of Your words gives light;
It gives understanding to the simple.
131 I opened my mouth and panted,
For I longed for Your
Neil Kruger
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bibliology
Rather than writing a book proving that the Bible is the Word of God, Kevin DeYoung has written a book on why Christians should assume the Bible is the Word of God.

With simple expositions from relevant passages on what the Bible says about itself, DeYoung has given us another gem. Clear explanations with his customary witty remarks made this little book a joy to read, even though at times he does "over-argue" his case.

DeYoung encourages us to trust the Bible as God's revelation to us for
Anna Chviedaruk
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very short, but a very profound book. It basically is a heartfelt study on what the Bible speaks about itself. We all know these truths, but the author goes deep into opening our hidden attitudes towards the Bible. For example, we might say it's authoritative, but deep down in our heart we disbelief that its historical or genealogical parts are also authoritative and breathed out by God.

So it's a good read and a good reminder of the special status of the Bible.
Also, the composition of
David Batten
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
A winsome introduction to what Evangelical Christians believe about the Bible. If you are just getting into theology, or want to be encouraged in your confidence in the Bible, this is for you.

If you have harder questions about the Bible, this is still an easy start, and he has a list of 30 additional books in the back you could follow up with.
Tommy Barrow
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like DeYoungs other Books, Taking God at His Word is clear, concise, and compelling. In a world where seemingly everything is regarded as truth, DeYoung takes his stand on the Bible as the Authority of truth. Also, the appendix lists 30 other books the author recommends if you want to dive deeper into Biblical literacy, inerrancy, authorship etc. ...more
Eduardo Corona
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and short surface level study of the authority and trustworthiness of Scripture. Fun and informative short read for the student of the Bible. Highly recommend this along other of DeYoungs writings. ...more
JT
A short and concise dive into the clarity, sufficiency, authority, and necessity of the Christian Scripture. A shot in the arm for Christians to continue in their reading and study of the divine word of God.
Joey
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A breath of fresh air.
Natalie Herr
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful little volume for Christians, both new to the Word and more seasoned. It will remind you of Scriptures beauty, necessity, perfection and clarity. I would recommend to new Bible readers for sure or anyone in a Bible reading slump for some encouragement to get back in the Scriptures. ...more
Christopher Commander
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A decent book, gives good summary details without getting bogged down. Would be ideal for someone who hasn't yet read anything on the subject of the attributes of the Bible.
Hunter Newton
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super detail oriented but also not overly heady. Classic DeYoung style writing. He does such a phenomenal job of getting to heart of the questions and unpacking them in such a Christ-centered way.
Ryan
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As usual, Kevin DeYoung is very helpful in translating theological concepts accessible to a wider audience. This is a very good primer on the doctrine of Scripture.
Kevin Halloran
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read my full review here or buy on Amazon.

There are a variety of things that can make a book good or great. Some books are fun, but not practical. Some books are important, but not readable. Other books are well-written, but do not say anything of value. If an author is able to combine importance of subject matter, practicality, and enjoyablenesshe has struck gold.

Kevin DeYoungs new book Taking God at His Word struck gold by taking on one of the churchs most foundational doctrines: the Word of
Becky
The full title of Kevin DeYoung's newest book is Taking God At His Word: Why the Bible is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough, and What That Means for You and Me. It's an incredibly lengthy title, but an incredible book almost deserves such a title!

Yes, Taking God At His Word is an incredible book. It is easily one of the best books I've read so far this year. The book opens with a discussion of Psalm 119 and concludes with a discussion of 2 Timothy 3:14-17. Four chapters focus on four attributes
Rick Shrader
Ive always appreciated Kevin DeYoungs style of writing and his solid defense of the Word of God. The sub-title to this book is Why the Bible is knowable, necessary, and enough, and what that means for you and me. DeYoung gives the answer to this statement in eight chapters, followed by an appendix: Thirty of the best books on the Good Book in which he recommends, at various reading levels, other good books which defend and support the Word of God. DeYoung writes, Scripture, because it is the ...more
Josh Wilson
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've been giving most books I've read lately 5 stars, but this is because if I don't think it's 5 star-worthy, I probably won't take the time to finish it. I'd say about this book what one of my professors said at the beginning of a message he preached: "Nothing here is new... just necessary." Kevin DeYoung makes a compelling case for the necessity of his excursus on why the Bible is knowable, necessary and enough. I found chapters 4 and 7 particularly timely. The final chapter is soaring. One ...more

• Evangelism as Exiles: Life on Mission as Strangers in our Own Land
  • Before You Open Your Bible: Nine Heart Postures For Approaching God's Word
  • What Is Biblical Theology?: A Guide to the Bible's Story, Symbolism, and Patterns
  • The Unsaved Christian: Reaching Cultural Christianity with the Gospel
  • Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible
  • Praying the Bible
  • Let the Nations Be Glad!: The Supremacy of God in Missions
  • Reading the Bible Supernaturally: Seeing and Savoring the Glory of God in Scripture
  • Delighting in the Trinity: An Introduction to the Christian Faith
  • Zeal Without Burnout: Seven Keys to a Lifelong Ministry of Sustainable Sacrifice
  • The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance—Why the Marrow Controversy Still Matters
  • Nine Marks of a Healthy Church
  • The Conviction to Lead: 25 Principles for Leadership That Matters
  • A Peculiar Glory: How the Christian Scriptures Reveal Their Complete Truthfulness
  • 12 Ways Your Phone Is Changing You
  • Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus
  • Reset: Living a Grace-Paced Life in a Burnout Culture
Kevin DeYoung is the Senior Pastor at University Reformed Church (RCA) in East Lansing, Michigan, right across the street from Michigan State University.

News & Interviews

“You can exaggerate your authority in handling the Scriptures, but you cannot exaggerate the Scriptures' authority to handle you. You can use the word of God to come to wrong conclusions, but you cannot find any wrong conclusions in the word of God.” 7 likes
“Every true Christian should feel deep in his bones an utter dependence on God’s self-revelation in the Scriptures. Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord (Deut. 8:3; Matt. 4:4).” 4 likes