Start by marking “The Light: New Jersey (Tales from a Revolution)” as Want to Read:
The Light: New Jersey (Tales from a Revolution)

The Light: New Jersey

(Tales from a Revolution)

As a Quaker blacksmith, Robert is used to the challenges of fire and iron. When the American Revolution splinters his own family and threatens his community, he will wrestle with questions of belief and philosophy. He must rely on his inner light to keep his family safe, and lead them to freedom.
Published September 17th 2013 by Brief Candle Press (first published September 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light

Start your review of The Light: New Jersey (Tales from a Revolution)
Michelle Isenhoff
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lars D. Hedbor, author of The Prize, which details Revolutionary War activities on and around Lake Champlain, has just come out with a second novel in his Tales from a Revolution series. The Light features Washington’s crossing of the Delaware. While that particular event may be well known to every American, the details surrounding it are less so, and the day-to-day experiences of life within the Hessian-occupied town of Trenton, New Jersey are rarely even contemplated by casual students of hist ...more
Troy Ciesco
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There is only one way to describe this book: simply phenomenal. The historical point of view is one I wasn't familiar with (The Quakers) and I was skeptical at first. How could a book about the American Revolution focus on a people that shunned violence?

This book opened my mind to the fact that inner turmoil can be just as heart-wrenching and action-packed as a battle. I definitely felt like I was right there with the characters, and was consciously weighing their moral dilemmas in m
Malia
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another great novel by Lars Hedbor!

Once again he has opened up a new world to me through a different perspective of the American Revolution. This time it is from the viewpoint of a Quaker who attempts to stay true to his own religious beliefs but accepts that the world around him is changing and he has to find his place in this new world.

Just like in The Prize, Hedbor’s first novel, where my interest was piqué into learning more about the American Revolution. I am now curious to lea
Paula Dyches
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I read the first book in this series and really enjoyed that one so I was excited for this one... overall I still really like this one but it wasn't the same style as the first book. Instead of the modern twist with the flash backs in time like the first book, this one was just set book during the Revolution. It tells the story of a family of Quakers and what the war looks like within their faith and the surrounding community. The old/formal way they spoke made it a little hard to listen to but ...more
Mv
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I’ve read/listened to by this author and I would listen to another. Previously listened to The Declaration.

Like in The Declaration, the characters in this story are not conveniently placed in areas of importance that have a poignant effect on the times. They could be any average person happening to be alive during this era. Their lives are, of course, influenced by the turmoil around them. This book gives a wonderful glimpse into a realistic scenario and the possible up
Susan
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Note: Even though this is Book 2 in the series, it works perfectly as a stand alone.

The American Revolution was always such a boring topic in high school. Taught by dates and numbers and famous documents, it was a very dry subject. No more! Hedbor is bringing this bit of history to life. I quite enjoyed The Light, and that was unexpected. I did worry that this story might be a little preachy since the main character, Robert, is a devoted Quaker. Yet Hedbor did a really great job of g
Angie Thompson
Jul 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-finished
I was so disappointed that I wasn't able to finish this book. The writing was excellent, the characters were believable, the conflict was riveting, but I really, really have a problem with profanity in my reading. Honestly, I gave this book more grace than most because of the historical context, but when I hit the third instance about 3/5 of the way in, I had to put it down.

I really mean it when I say I was very sad not to finish it. The writing was amazing; it felt more like reading
Lisl
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having established himself, with The Prize, as an able and talented author of historical fiction set in Revolutionary America, Lars D.H. Hedbor presents to us more of this era from the perspective of another colonial citizen. This time round the author of The Light sets his tale in New Jersey, where many of the events lead up to General Washington’s famous crossing of the Delaware.

Hedbor writes his novels as events that occur alongside the Revolution, putting the spotlight on ordinary people an
Jan
Where Amazon got the idea that this is a children's book is incomprehensible to me, unless it's because there is no erotica or repetitive use of the f bomb.
This well researched and crafted novella explores the personal conflicts of a Quaker blacksmith/son/husband/father/friend whose convictions lead him to believe in the Patriot cause and the problems caused by his stance among the congregation as well as those caused by an amoral man whose only cause was himself. The plot is ingenious and
Emmy
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
•audiobook•

This was the third book in the series I downloaded, but the fifth (and at the time, last one available on audible) I completed.

Each book is a stand alone and none of the characters cross over into the others. So it’s easy to listen and follow in any order. Also, each book’s style and POV is unique.

I especially liked the language in this book, oft noted as Olde or Proper English. It added to the authenticity and easily helped the reader/listener slip back in time.

As much
Victoria Haugen
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was taken from my car (I listen on my daily commute) into the power of the Revolutionary War, it was captivating! I really enjoyed the writing, and I was interested from start to finish. Beautifully written and beautifully narrated, I was very happy with this audiobook and I'd definitely recommend it. I think all ages would love it! Well done!
I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
Deedra
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Audible:I found this story to be very interesting.I never gave the Quaker plight in the Revolution much thought.I just figured they went their own way and were left alone.Not so.It is also a story of family,the bad,the good and what war can do to it.I think Teens and younger would get a lot from listening to or reading this book.Shamaan Casey was a very good narrator.I was given this book by the narrator,author or publisher free for an honest review.
Jody Robinson
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any one
Recommended to Jody by: Jan's Paperbacks
Once again Lars has taken ordinary people and told about their lives in extraordinary times. I have learned much about the beginning of our country and I think that this series of books should be in schools. This book and this series are suitable for all ages, enjoyable to read and lots to learn in the books.
Taj-Marie Lingofelter
Jan 24, 2016
Jaqi Moon
Sep 12, 2013
Lars
Sep 13, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Ursula
Charissa
Mar 28, 2015
Nancy
Apr 22, 2015
What made the American Colonists turn their back on their King, and fight for independence? How were they different from us–and how were their hopes and fears familiar to our own hearts?

These are the sorts of questions that I think are important to ask in examining the American Revolution, and in the pages of my novels, I suggest some possible answers.

I am an amateur histor

Tales from a Revolution (10 books)
  • The Prize: Vermont (Tales from a Revolution)
  • The Smoke: New York (Tales from a Revolution)
  • The Declaration: South-Carolina (Tales from a Revolution)
  • The Break: Nova-Scotia (Tales From a Revolution)
  • The Wind: West-Florida (Tales From a Revolution)
  • The Darkness: Maine (Tales From a Revolution)
  • The Path: Tales From a Revolution - Rhode-Island