Start by marking “Why Fashion Matters” as Want to Read:
Why Fashion Matters

Why Fashion Matters

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Fashion matters for the economy, to society, and to each of us personally. Faster than anything else, what we wear tells the story of who we are—or who we want to be. It is the most immediate form of self-expression.

Yet even as fashion touches the lives of each and every one of us, its influence and the vast creative industry that it supports can seem mysterious to outside
Published June 17th 2014 by Thames & Hudson (first published May 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Why Fashion Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Fashion Matters

James
Dec 26, 2015 James rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Interesting title grabbed me. A more accurate title would be "what should matter to fashion". Because of this I didn't learn what I hoped to learn.

Lots of small chapters, I read half of it in under an hour.

Quite a big proportion was on issues like environmental effects of clothing production, working conditions, and the images put forward an issues that result for people from it. There are issues to be dealt with, but not reasons for why fashion matters. They're reasons for why it needs to be mo
Meg
Dec 31, 2015 Meg added it
Shelves: non-fiction, fashion
Collection of 101 thoughts about fashion as industry, personal engagement, and global impacts by the head of a London fashion school. Absolutely delightful, and if you want more indepth treatments of some of the topics (as they are well worth) there is a bibliography at the end.
Ashley
Nov 25, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Overall, an interesting collection of very short essays on the fashion industry, its impact on culture, economics, and the environment. Unfortunately many of the assertions are not sourced. Many of the essays could be expanded into books of their own, which could be interesting.

Quotes:
"To some, couture is an anachronism, elitist and irrelevant. But I admire it as a system that has preserved and protected a vast range of skills and crafts, such as fine embroidery, beadwork and the decorative use
Allison
Aug 25, 2014 Allison rated it really liked it
This petite book is perfect for people with short attention spans looking for a crash course on fashion. That being said, it was pretty informative, and occasionally inspiring.
M
Apr 16, 2015 M rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Picked this up on a whim from my library. It is organized well, with short, intelligent, thought-provoking numbered chapters/essays. Frances Corner looks at fashion, and at its proponents and industry, from a variety of perspectives: economic, artistic, ecological, psychological. Worth the read.
Karina Flores
Jul 07, 2015 Karina Flores rated it really liked it
Me gusto demasiado. Si bien no profundiza mucho en los temas, si es un buen inicio para reflexionar sobre el alcance que realmente tiene la moda, considerando aspectos políticos, medio ambientales, identitarios, etc. En ese sentido, el libro deja planteadas varias preguntas y viene con una linda bibliografía para seguir investigando al respecto :)
Mary Lynn
Apr 05, 2015 Mary Lynn rated it really liked it
Well done fashion industry history and information for beginners. Give to those who think fashion and clothing is frivolous.
Kei Vu
Kei Vu is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2016
Lillie
Lillie marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
tommy
tommy marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Betina Barizo
Betina Barizo is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2016
Lynnette
Lynnette marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Lidia María
Lidia María marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Britt
Britt rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Kendy
Kendy marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Anupa
Anupa marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Ryan Chynces
Ryan Chynces is currently reading it
May 20, 2016
Vanda
Vanda marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Polkadot654
Polkadot654 marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Alisong
Alisong marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Cátia
Cátia marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Alejandra
Alejandra marked it as to-read
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Kate Louise
Kate Louise marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Willow Rankin
Willow Rankin marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Sophie
Sophie rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Persnickety Aesthete
Persnickety Aesthete marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016