Start by marking “Hegarty on Creativity: There Are No Rules” as Want to Read:
Hegarty on Creativity: There Are No Rules

Hegarty on Creativity: There Are No Rules

Creativity isn’t an occupation; it’s a preoccupation. It is challenge for everyone in the modern world—from business and advertising to education and beyond. Here, the world-famous advertising creative John Hegarty offers a pocket bible of creative thinking, aimed at provoking, challenging, and inspiring greater heights of innovation.
From Renaissance art to rock ‘n’ roll,
Published April 22nd 2014 by Thames Hudson (first published January 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hegarty on Creativity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hegarty on Creativity

Tomas Ramanauskas
A legend doesn't guarantee a great read. And what's weirder - Hegarty is in Captain Obvious mode. Unexpectedly lazy take on creativity.
Green Hedgehog
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Забавно то, что когда я искал информацию об авторе этой книги, то на русском языке в основном полно информации лишь об его двух произведениях (включая это). И обычно эта информация подается в стиле: великий рекламщик делится секретами своего мастерства. А вот о том, в чем же крутость и главное – за какие заслуги этого рекламщика называют великим – этого в русском сегменте маловато. В английском интернете информации чуть больше. Там даже есть небольшая статья в Википедии. И из нее понятно, что за ...more
Holly Cooke
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had to read this book for the 2nd module of my Uni course, so I ordered it without finding much out about it. When it arrived I was rather surprised, especially after the gigantic books I'd had to read for our 1st module; it's pretty much pocket sized and not over 150 pages, great for when you need to get through a book quick.

This book was a really interesting, intriguing and witty look into creativity, and the creative process. Hegarty gives the reader hints, tips and ideas on how to develop
Michael Dodd
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
You might never have heard of John Hegarty or his advertising agency, Bartle Bogle Hegarty (BBH), but unless you've been living in a cave your entire life you will have come across at least some of the work he's been involved in. Vorsprung durch Technik? That was him. Levi's adverts such as the guy dancing in his boxers in the launderette, or Flat Eric? Him too. He has sustained a creative career over an incredible four decades, and in Hegarty on Creativity he attempts to distil some of his phil ...more
Erik Logstrup
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
In my opinion, there is always something to take away from a book...

That's also the case with Hegarty's collection of thoughts on creativity - just not as much as I had hoped for.
Most of the ideas/thoughts are of a pretty high-level nature - not really inspiring too many AHA-moments.

That could, however, easily be down to this book perhaps being intended in another direction - so it may just be my own expectations that are not really met - which is, of course, no fault on Hegarty's side...

Kelsey
May 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Read this to get some other perspectives on creativity for a project I'm doing. The content of this book is pretty mediocre and the design of it is pretty stupid. "Overdesigned" comes to mind. It's not cute, clever, or even creative to have a little book with different fonts and indentations, scribbly lines and inane cartoons. With lines like "collaboration is fine for sex, but not for creativity" (something like that..) the book comes across less as fun and irreverent and more like "trying too ...more
Andrés Watanabe
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Seré directo. Es inferior al primer libro. Está más enfocado a publicistas que recién están iniciando su carrera en el rubro creativo. Es bastante ligero, si te afanas, lo puedes terminar en un día. Te da buenos consejos sobre creatividad, además de vida en agencia de publicidad, obviamente, el 2do punto lo toca más en el anterior libro.
Gulnar
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gözləntim daha yüksək idi, açığı istədiyimi ala bilmədim. Sadəcə sadə və oxuması əyləncəli bir kitab oldu, bir neçə saata oxudum. Daha faydalı, tətbiqediləsi "tip"lər verən bir kitab olduğunu zənn edərək aldığım, məni yanıldan kitab - gələn dəfə bu cür adı olan kitablara daha ehtiyyatla yanaşacağam)
Huibert
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Eigenlijk niet slecht voor zo'n niemendallerig geld-uit-de-zak-klopperij werkje. Hegarty lijkt sympathiek en maakt een paar waardevolle punten die het waard zijn genoemd te worden. Gevonden in weggeefboekenkast, maar ik houd het nog even zelf.
Adil Hussain
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Decent little book full of short reflections on what it means to create and what it means to adopt a creative mindset.
Lewis King
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Quick and easy read. Useful to read know and again, but nothing revolutionary. Also, some stuff sounds good but isn't really that helpful.
Hjalti Rognvaldsson
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It may not be full of extremely actionable tips but rather a small food for thought booklet. I expect to grab it from time to time when I need quick inspiration
Anthony
Feb 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Absolute farce of a book. A few lazy generalisations masquerading as knowledge. Checkout Mario Pricken's book on creativity instead - you won't be disappointed.
Tony Jackson
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was really inspiring and gave me the creative boost I was lacking for the past couple months
Valeriia Arnaud
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: england, non-fiction
Не могу всерьёз воспринимать книгу о креативности, где пишут, что каждый человек может/любит танцевать, но есть те, кто мудро остаётся сидеть на стуле, когда звучит музыка.
Yun Peng
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Rather nah...
Kevin
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
More of a pamphlet than a book, but it has an interesting design and the prompts throughout it serve at least as something to read quickly and ponder. Not mind blowing, but a fun read.
Nisarat Wiriyametee
May 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Be disappointed
Jaireh
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creativity
True creative work is honest in both creation and assessment.
To be creative one must be fearless.
There is no such thing as originality. What we often view as creative is mostly a fresh take on what was previously created before.
One must find your Lennon to your McCarthy - someone who can be honest in the evaluation of your work.
Craft is important. The execution of the idea makes a big difference. It's 80% idea and 80% execution. Creative life is often about resolving this paradox.
Do not pursue m
Refine Lubis
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
i was expecting something more personal from Hegarty. Something that tell us more about him, his voice when he speaks of creative world, but I found him in a very general standard. He talks about creativity in a very broad perspective. But maybe creativity is very board, it is very complex that it is not easy to list it down tips by tips. in general it's a good book, another good motivational book that talk about the same thing. it is not just about skills and great ideas but character too. what ...more
Rudolph
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good kickstart to my re-entry into advertising. I didn't think I'd be entering the world of marketing again in a full time scope but here we are and that's a topic for another discussion.

When I was a wee lad breaking into the exciting and nasty world of mad men, there were a few pillars to look up to. As the industry is as old as the bible, not many of those guiding lights remain with us today.

Sir John Hegarty remains though, so listen to what he has to say.

A great book for those venturing int
Hayley
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
A short, interesting read. It might not reveal much about Hegarty himself (but why would it, it's not called Hegarty on Hegarty after all) but it certainly provides 50 thoughts, notions and snippets to challenge and inspire creatives and those aspiring to make a career out of creativity alike.

A useful little book, a guide if you will, that's perfect to dip in and out of and remind yourself that creating the unusual is not usual. This is not a book of answers or even a recipe for great creativit
Raychel
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fabulous tidbits of food for thought. This book fell into my lap twice and each time I read it, I loved it. Heaps of ideas about how to approach creativity; attitudes; lack of rules; the process. Easy reading and nicely broken up into quirky paragraphs interlaced with funny cartoon drawings, squiggles and thoughts. I easily took this advertising guru's tips and applied them into my own role in education and in life. A great book to start a conversation that's meaning. Not for the superficial.
Dita Murinová
This was

I když se sem tam lehoulince opakoval, bylo to 127 stránek, které si chci číst pořád dokola. Je dost možné, že to někomu bude připadat obvious nebo prostě jenom takové plácání okolo. Ale to, jaký dojem kniha zanechá, záleží hodně i na tom, v jakém je čtenář rozpoložení. A mně to momentálně neskutečně sedlo.

Přiřadila bych ji ke Kraď jako umělec a Krutě přímočaré myšlení. Jen možná lépe napsaná, s větším humorem a hlavně napsaná někým, kdo je "pan někdo" v advertising world.

Alex Devero
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: work
One of the worlds biggest names in advertising, John Hegarty, offers a pocket guide that's must-read for everyone pursuing creative career. This book is full of fun, innovative ideas and inspiration. It's also packed with funny illustrations. Open the book and see creativity through the eyes of John Hegarty. Let him demystify the nonsense. Even if you are not looking for career or creativity advice, you will at least have a lot of fun. For the rest of you, this little book is full of great advic ...more
Mariana García
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Este es un libro casi obligatorio para cualquier persona que se quiera desarrollar en una carrera creativa, en especial la publicidad.

Sir John Hegarty es una leyenda de la publicidad que nos regala consejos muy valiosos, es una lectura rápida y un tanto motivadora.

Creo que este libro es para ti si eres un principiante con muchas inseguridades.

4 estrellas porque por alguna extraña razón no logró atraparme lo suficiente.
Adam
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are no rules. A slim introduction to the use of creativity, not just in business, but in life generally from an author who has lived a very creative life. No deep insights, but a good selection of short and memorable anecdotes and bon mots on introducing creativity and innovation to your life. As an aside, the special addition of this work is edible.
Brian Ngo
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome advice on the creative mindset from one of the masters of advertising.

This book will simplify the idea of what it is to be creative and how to implement it in anything you will do.
Paul Arthur
Lightweight

Such a disappointment: the same examples used by everyone else, anodyne language dressed up in loose typography. Doesn't live up to Hegarty's individual and agency reputation. You'll be better off reading Trott's blog.
Theodore Kinni
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I don't have a lot of patience for these brief, edgy pocket guides by ad guys on how to be creative. But if you like 'em, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't like this one by the founding creative partner of Bartle Bogle Hegarty.
  • Brutal Simplicity of Thought: How It Changed the World
  • I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook
  • The Chair: Rethinking Culture, Body, and Design
  • The Master Builders: Le Corbusier, Mies Van Der Rohe, Frank Lloyd Wright
  • Civic Beauties: A Novel with Songs
  • Human Is?: A Philip K. Dick Reader (Gollancz S.F.)
  • This is Warhol
“Evet, hepimiz sanatçıyız. Ama bazılarımız bunu göstermese daha iyi olur.” 1 likes
“Mükemmel fikirlere sahip olmak, onları satamadığınız sürece işe yaramaz.” 1 likes