Start by marking “Art: A Brief History” as Want to Read:
Art: A Brief History

Art: A Brief History

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  185 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Drawing on 40 years of experience of presenting art to the public, Marilyn Stokstad offers this comprehensive look at art in all of its diversity, from paintings and architecture to tapestries, jewellery and electronic art.
Paperback, Third Edition, 624 pages
Published January 26th 2006 by Prentice Hall (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art

La Lin
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

For an endeavour to frame the big picture of art history in more than six hundred pages, such a book is appropriate inasmuch as formal analyses are thoroughly written along with a good quality of exemplification. Providing a wide range of knowledge for especially students as well as art enthusiasts, Art: A Brief History is a great starting-point to adventure into arts from the past, sailing to contemporary arts and perhaps, linking to the future. Anyhow, the book still has its flaws from my pers
Skai
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college-books
Read this for my History and Appreciation of Art I class. I am a fan of any art so I thought this book was interesting to read.
Brandon
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last year I originally took Art History because it was an art requirement. I had taken a ceramics class the year before and realized that not only can I not make ceramic materials well, but I didn't really enjoy it. But when I got into Art History, I realized that I could appreciate art all day. I know it may seem silly that I'm reviewing an Art History textbook, but this one of my favorite textbooks I've ever had. The amazing detail and the interesting facts the textbook gave made Art History s ...more
Kellie
I was never that much into art until one day an artist friend said to me:

Corrine: Kellie, let me explain it to you this way: art is a physical manifestation of the artists opinion, emotion, desire, hunger...what have you. You are not a plebeian if you don't like a piece of art. That is not it's purpose. Art has only one purpose: to make you FEEL something. Anger, happiness, disgust, desire, sadness, elation. If you, as an observer, feel ANYTHING, then the artist has done his or her job.

Oh, that
Salimah
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dr. Forss
This is one of my favorite textbooks this quarter. The images were stunningly clear and the composition accompanying them were just enough to evoke a bit of history of the piece and artist as well as its tie to that particular era in history. Granted, the version we used was specifically for MCC, but it was perfect for a quarter-long class. I found myself reading quickly through each chapter and anticipating the coming chapters.
Shannon Thompson
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-books
I read this for my art history class at the University of Kansas. Very interesting and informative, but - at times - confusing in the orders of sections within a chapter. The examples are sometimes half a chapter ahead or behind itself, which made it difficult to flip back and forth through that and the comprehension questions. Other than that, easy to follow.
Sara
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ultra-Readable. An excellent, high-quality textbook. One of the best I've read. It has as many beautiful, glossy images as you could wish for in an art history book and the writing is very enjoyable.
Kenneth Morales
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love learning about art and this book can help learn a few things from history in an artistic scope.
Morgan Oats
UNT
Honors Art Appreciation
Professor: Tracy Bays-Boothe
Fall 2012
Ainsley Thrasher
Jun 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This of course was a book for school, but I always find myself going back to it to remind myself of things because it has a lot of good works and artists in it.
Raul Rodriguez
Jan 08, 2015
John L Kubiniec Jr
rated it did not like it
Dec 03, 2015
  • Natural History
  • Doctor Who Character Encyclopedia
  • The Art of Blizzard Entertainment
  • The World of Chas Addams
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers: Eastern Region
  • The Goblins of Labyrinth
  • Time Flies
  • The Fall and Rise of China
  • Good Things (The Best of Martha Stewart Living)
  • Volcanoes