Start by marking “Carrots (Shelby Nichols, #1)” as Want to Read:
Carrots (Shelby Nichols, #1)

Carrots

(Shelby Nichols #1)

Librarian's note: This is an alternate cover edition for ISBN: 1456414143 (ISBN13: 9781456414146).

Shelby Nichols is an average woman who is married to the only guy she ever fell for. Her life is organized and predictable, revolving around her husband and two children. All that changes the day she stops at the grocery store for some carrots. As the cashier rings up her purc
Paperback, Second Edition, 286 pages
Published August 29th 2013 by Createspace (first published February 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Carrots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carrots

☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Here goes a bunch of life-changing carrots!

I'm not reviewing the actions of Shelby, which's a good thing since she's all the way on the barmy side :) The only think I'm going to include is a major WARNING: an incredibly talkative telepath klutz in here! Beware!

Q:
My life changed that day because I didn’t have any carrots. ... I was planning on making chicken soup for dinner, but I didn’t have any carrots, and everyone knows you can’t make chicken soup without carrots. ...
It all began because I’d
Ruth
Jan 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, 2012
I wanted something light and entertaining to read, and took advantage of Kindle's lending library to check this book out. Though the idea is interesting - what would happen if you could suddenly read people's thoughts - the concept is weighed down with poor characterization, stereotypical characters and a horrendous lack of editing. It reads as if someone used spell check and decided that was sufficient editing.

I got about a third of the way through this book before I gave up. I had no idea who
Betty
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A new author for me which was billed as a mystery and it turn out be an adventure or chick lit. The plot was great and the writing excellent. The end was riveting and I didn't put the book down until I knew end. Shelby is a housewife who forgot to buy carrots for supper. While in the grocery store she encounters a bank robber. The bullet just graces her head. When she awaken realize that she can read other people's minds. A co-worker is trying to entice her husband. In the process a Mob Boss lea ...more
Ian
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: g-mystery
Combine Stephanie Plum and Rose Gardner and you've got Shelby Nichols. There is even a scene in this book which could have been taken in its entirety from one of the Rose Gardner books.

You could take pretty much any character from this book and find an almost identical character in the Janet Evanovich or Denise Grover Swank books. It's not bad, apart from the occasional TSTL moment it's pretty good fun but it's not original.

description

Alice
Oh Boy! I found a new author for my Favorite list!

What a great premise. Shelby, a ordinary mother of two, stops at a grocery store for carrots, and gets winged by a bullet during a robbery. When her head clears, she finds out that she can hear other people's thoughts. This is the beginning of a whole lot of problems, dangers and people who want to use her for various reasons. This sounds serious, but the story is delightful as she reads the mind of a female co-worker who is out to get her husban
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
The Shelby Nichols series is one that I’ve had my eye on since I featured one of the books on my blog. I was lucky enough to get the eBook Carrots, the first book in the series, for free when it was offered and then I was even more lucky to log onto my Audible app one day and be offered any free audiobook I wanted, so I grabbed Carrots for that offer.

There is a little bit of everything going on in the plot of Carrots, with the mafia, police investigations, and more. It’s humorous and silly, but
Debbie Brown
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This reminds me a lot of a Janet Evanovich novel if you crossed it with the Mel Gibson movie "What Women Want." In the first book of a series, instead of Stephanie Plum, we have Shelby Nichols. And instead of a guy who can read women's minds, we get a woman (Shelby) who can read EVERYONE's mind.

Shelby's husband really hates that she's developed this ability. Even worse, the only one besides him that learns about it is a local mob boss, "Uncle Joey," and he's threatening her family if she doesn'
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
So I won't lie, I picked this one up initially for the cover. Then I read the description and I thought 'Let's risk it for a biscuit'.

The writing is so fluid it made me feel like a pro surfer riding a wave. It was so easy to read that I flew through this book in no time. Apart from one character, (who you're not supposed to like) I liked everyone in this story. There was enough humour without it being a farce; enough tension to carry the plot and a bit of angst thrown in.

Now I don't normally pi
Asheley
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelby runs into the grocery store to grab one thing (carrots!) when she witnesses a robbery and suffers a head injury, leaving her able to hear the thoughts of other people. Shelby's new ability is in some ways cool and delightful, but in some ways it is a huge inconvenience-especially when she finds herself working with both the local police and the local mafia boss. It also causes a little bit of friction with her husband, who doesn't really want to share every thought he has with her.

Fully
✴ Cindy ✴
🏆 🏆🏆🏆 🏆

Love this new series. It gives me the same good feeling that the Abby Cooper series does. Can't wait to see where the author takes Shelby.
Tracey
This sounded like a fun idea, and since I had (sadly) bought the Kindle edition I was able to get the Audible edition for cheap.

Unfortunately, neither the book nor the narration wore well. The story itself was fine: Shelby Nichols is caught in the middle of a grocery store bank robbery; a bullet grazes her skull. And of course she shortly discovers that she can hear other people's thoughts. As one does after a bullet grazes one's skull. Hijinks ensue, as they do when one develops rogue psychic
Cass
Jul 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies, mystery
3,5/5 stars

English Review

This story could be referenced as a cozy mystery (light reading and humor) and a thriller (very serious) with a touch of paranormal. It’s an easy read and there is no downtime.

The characters are well described and easy to enjoy, even the mob boss and especially Ramos the hit-man. One exception: you will hate the redhead :)Shelby is a strong woman who fights back and who discovers that reading thoughts has advantages and also disadvantages. She also has a strong tendency
Anna Marie
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally! A book as fun as it looks. I had a ball with this, and am even contemplating buying the sequel, something I *NEVER* do. That's how much I enjoyed this.

Shelby is housewife. She volunteers at church, runs her 12 and 14 year old kids around, and tries to keep her lawyer husband happy (while worrying about his beautiful new law partner). Mostly she's just a normal 30-something woman... until one night she stops at the mega-mart for carrots on the way home, and the bank up front gets robbed
Katie
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I did not end up finishing this book, I got about 1/3 to a 1/2 of the way through and gave up. I usually love murder mysteries and sci-fi books that have a little more drama and action, but go for sillier reads pretty often especially when they're free Kindle books. I tried to get more into this book because I hate not finishing books, but I just wasn't into this one.

For me the main character, Shelby, is just not a very likeable character, I really like stronger female leads, or at least smarter
Lynda Kelly
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was something quite different for me but I enjoyed it. It was mainly let down from its 5th star because the author happens to be clueless with apostrophes.
I'll be sticking with the Shelby series, though, because it's like nothing else I've read, really, and I liked the idea. The ending was very good as well.
I loved the character of Ramos and even warmed to Uncle Joe as well. Can't make up my mind about Shelby's Chris.....one minute I thought he was a good guy, then in it up to his nec
Aud
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"CARROTS"
series: Shelby Nichols Adventures, book 1
by Colleen Helme
narration by: Wendy Tremont King

A truly fun read with a lot of 'foot in mouth' will get you into a heap of trouble... all starting with being in the wrong place at the right time.
There is love, but it isn't really a romance story... there is mystery or suspense but I wouldn't really call it either genre... Is there a "Cozy Suspense" genre... by the way I meant to listen to this audio book over the course of a few days... but cou
Jerri Cachero
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I want to be Shelby Nichols when I grow up. She's beautiful, married to a hot guy, has two typical teens (one tweener), lives in a lovely home and she hears what people are thinking about...all the time.

After a trip to the market, for carrots, lands her in the hospital with a head wound, Shelby discovers she can read minds. This new skill will be helpful in keeping her out of trouble and alive since the robber that shot her is still out there and Shelby is the only living witness.

Between consu
Fungi From Yuggoth
Review: CARROTS by Colleen Helme

Shelby Nichols, wife of a semi-high-powered attorney, and stay-at-home mother of an early adolescent and a pre-order, is one feckless heroine. She is a klutz of fate--if a wrong place or a wrong time exists, Shelby will find it. A rain-soaked grocery stop results in her head being bullet-grazed, a bank robber targeting her and one other witness--and a mind full of psychic power. At least, mind-reading, which turns out to be not as useful as it sounds, and when it
E.
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, humor, cozy
This was entertaining. All of the characters were vivid and fun, even the bad guys.
Shelby is smart, thinks quick on her feet. The bad guys were everything from murderous robbers, mobster types and hitmen, to the new femme fatale in her husband's law firm. Shelby stood up to them all. It's easy when you know what they're thinking... like, really know exactly what they're thinking.
I'll probably read the whole series, eventually.
liirogue
May 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An okay story, with an incredibly unlikeable main character. She doesn't have an ounce of common sense rattling around in her head and she never learns her lesson. She is also extremely self-centered. Her husband and kids are just background notes that show up every now and then, and every interaction with her husband involves lying on her part.
Tracy T.
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Well this was a good story for the most part. However, the narration not so much. (audible review)

This book was narrated in 2013 so hopefully, the narrator has gotten better since then. She did not even try to give the men a deeper voice, she just read the book. And I mean just read that is it, no emotion nothing at all.

As for the story line and plot it was decent and has potential for a good series. Shelby needs a bit more maturity even though she is married with two teenage kids, she seemed a
Odette Swan
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG OMG OMG...This was such an amazing adventure that had me wanting to finish the book in one setting. However, I had to learn to walk away so my brain could process everything that happened to Shelby, and everything that went on in this amazing story! I can't wait until Thursday when the rest of the series I ordered gets here so I can continue Shelby's adventure! To see my in depth review please see my review on my blog at https://iwontsayiminlovewithreading.b...
Dorothy
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a busy day, I wanted to pick up a light book and read just to quiet my mind. This wasn't that book, but I devoured it in one sitting. Carrots by Colleen Helme certainly proved to be worth far more than what I paid for it. Actually, I paid nothing. It was listed as a top free book on the Amazon site for the Kindle. Currently it is not free, even though I found it free just a week ago. Because of that I would suggest checking periodically because the price seems to vary. The current price is ...more
Thenia
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Our introduction to Shelby Nichols, a normal housewife and mother of two teenagers, who suddenly acquires the ability to read minds after a near death experience.

She is having trouble with her new ability at first and it causes friction in her relationship with her husband whom she confides in, as well as manages to get her in trouble when she comes to the notice of a crime boss determined to use her for his benefit.

Not really having a choice, Shelby finds herself working for the crime boss, whi
Marsha
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've been struggling for awhile now trying to find new series that are truly entertaining and will keep me interested while I wait for updated installments of my favorite reads. I think I just might have found one with "Carrots."

After witnessing a robbery of at bank located I side a grocery store, Shelby is grazed in the head with a bullet. After the pain begins to dissipate, she realizes that she now has the ability to hear people's thoughts. After meeting Kate, the gorgeous new lawyer at her h
Ginny  Gallagher
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelby Nichols is a character that is easy to relate to. She is a mom and loving wife. She goes about her everyday life doing normal things and like me dreads the necessary but evil stop at the grocery store. It is that stop that will change her life forever. It’s pouring rain and parking is awful but she needs those damn carrots. After all, you can’t make chicken soup without carrots.

Book 1 in this series is all about Shelby’s new “gift” and the trouble it gets her into. Being able to suddenly
Jagged
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, books-i-have
I didn't hate it. In fact, the beginning was very humorous.

The plot is absolutely ridiculous, and in no way whatsoever is it even remotely plausible, but Helme doesn't help things at all. There is no realism to this story. Not one thing that actually takes place in this story felt like it belonged there. It felt very staged (it is, duh), nothing about it felt authentic.

I did appreciate that Helme decided to take the other side of what would happen if someone woke up being able to read minds. I
Beth
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Book you Won't Put Down

I started reading this book, and I could not put it down. It was a cross between Stephanie Plum and Rose Gardner. If you read this genre you will know who I mean. It's funny, unusual and thrilling all at the same time. An ordinary woman, a robbery, a gun shot in the head and an extraordinary character is created, Shelby Nichols. The situations these circumstances create are what makes this book so good. Pick it up and, while, you are at it..get the rest of the series, I
Richard
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really an enjoyable book. When a head injury incurred during a robbery gone bad leaves Shelby with mind reading ability, her life pretty much goes haywire. The pacing is fast and there's a lot of humor in the narrative. I found her a likable and believable sort, even if the story itself is zany. Sometimes she can't quite keep herself from saying too much, etc. Oh, she's kind of self-absorbed, a mildly unreliable, slightly dizzy narrator, and I found that for some reason kind of delightfully ende ...more
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free ARC of Carrots from Enchantress of Books Blogtours in exchange of an honest review*

My review will first be posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews on September 17th as part of a blogtour.
Around the Year i...: Carrots, by Colleen Helme 1 10 May 17, 2018 05:22AM
Goodreads Librari...: Deletion of Duplicate 4 18 Jun 17, 2017 04:26PM
Audio-Bibliophiles: This week's AudaVoxx Recommendations 1 9 Mar 11, 2016 11:59AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Carrots 1 3 Jan 25, 2013 07:44PM

• Buyer's Remorse (Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery #3)
  • Storm Surge (A Jonie Waters Mystery, #1)
  • If Errands Could Kill (Minivan Mom Mystery, #1)
  • Golden Eggs and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 4)
  • Sweet Delicious Madness and the Many Mysterious Deaths of Silvio Berlusconi (Kissed in Italy Mystery, #1)
  • Sweet Ginger Poison (Ginger Lightley Mystery #1)
  • The Chronicles of Marr-nia (Short Stories Starring Barbara Marr)
  • LEGACY RISING
  • The Disappearance of Mavis Woodstock (The Val & Kit Mystery Series, #1)
  • Cupcakes, Sales, and Cocktails (Annie Graceland Mystery #2)
  • The Ex Who Wouldn't Die (Charley's Ghost, #1)
  • Motor City Shakedown (Bright and Fletcher, #1)
  • Casanova Killer
  • Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
  • Cold Turkey (Events Unlimited, #1)
  • Hit or Missus (Peri Minneopa Mystery, #2)
  • Death Benefits (Southern Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • Charlotte Figg Takes Over Paradise (Bright's Pond #2)
***USA Today Bestselling Author***As the author of the best-selling Shelby Nichols Adventure Series, Colleen is often asked if Shelby Nichols is her alter-ego. “Definitely,” she says. “Shelby is the epitome of everything I wish I dared to be.” Known for her laugh since she was a kid, Colleen has always tried to find the humor in every situation and continues to enjoy writing about Shelby’s adventu ...more

Shelby Nichols (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Fast Money (Shelby Nichols #2)
  • Lie or Die (Shelby Nichols #3)
  • Secrets That Kill (Shelby Nichols #4)
  • Trapped By Revenge (Shelby Nichols, #5)
  • Deep In Death (Shelby Nichols #6)
  • Crossing Danger (Shelby Nichols #7)
  • Devious Minds (Shelby Nichols #8)
  • Hidden Deception (Shelby Nichols #9)
  • Laced In Lies (Shelby Nichols, #10)
  • Deadly Escape (Shelby Nichols #11)
“There are times when a satisfying lie is better than the awful truth.” 6 likes
“While I was on hold for Dimples, I glanced out of the third story window. Across the street, a man was casually leaning against a light pole. As he looked up at me, our eyes locked. He was tall and muscular, with tan skin, and wavy dark hair that was slicked back behind his ears. His face broke into a huge grin, before he quickly disappeared into the crowd. Had he just smiled at me? “Hello…hello…is anyone there?” Dimples asked. “Dimples! The strangest thing just happened. I saw a man jogging this morning, and now I think I just saw him again.” “Shelby? Where are you?” “I’m at Chris’ office. He was standing across the street, and saw me looking out the window.” “Did you get a good look at him?” “Yes…but it’s not the robber. I don’t know who this person is.” “Then it’s probably nothing.” 0 likes