Jump to ratings and reviews

Shadow Tales

The One You Feed

Like most kids who grew up in the small town of Silver Falls, Toby Hoffman heard all the scary stories about monsters living in the neighboring woods of the Umatilla Indian Reservation. Now a teenager, he knows the tales are made up to keep the town’s children from wandering where they aren’t wanted.

Then his best friend, Nate, wakes up covered in blood in the reservation woods, with no recollection of whose blood it is or where it came from. Soon after, Silver Falls is beset by a series of brutal attacks.

Toby begins to wonder if one of the fables he was told as a child might be true. With the help of his Native American neighbor, Rachel Chochopi, he goes looking for answers. Before long, the two of them begin making startling discoveries about some of their friends, family members, and even some all-too-real monsters.

293 pages, Kindle Edition

First published October 1, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

James Drummond

4 books14 followers
James Drummond was born in Arlington Heights, IL and graduated from DePauw University with a bachelor's degree in English writing. A lifelong horror fan, he's attempting to put a new spin on familiar folklore with his Shadow Tales series. Today James lives in Chicago with his wife Angela and two cats named Snowball and Suzette. During the day he is a Senior Instructional Designer for an e-learning development company. Wojtek Batko designs the covers for James' books.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (2%)
1 star
2 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 49 reviews
Profile Image for Apoorva.
190 reviews170 followers
September 10, 2022
It began as an uneventful & regular read but soon turned out to be a reliable fast-paced, action-packed nail-biter. What initially felt boring, even DNFing it a couple of times & then eventually beginning to read it a few days ago, I completed the novel within only seven days. Actually, the second half drew me in & didn't let me quit. The activities, drama & tension had me connected & I became more & more interested in what was subsequently. Each personality was rather unique & witnessing their own holding on the account to carry it on was fantastic.

I hadn't heard of a novel like this earlier & though it took me a while to get accustomed to it, I have to say that I quite relished it. Not to mention the eureka moment I sensed when, in the end, I learned what the title implied. My first book from the writer & look ahead to more of his creations. Overall, a good read.

I want to thank Book Sirens, the author & the publisher, for supplying me with an e-ARC copy. In exchange, I'm writing this review willingly.
Profile Image for Nina Ivanova.
315 reviews35 followers
August 25, 2015

Full review/цялото ревю - click click

After-read thoughts:
Acording to the old tale, there are two wolves battling in everyone's soul - one made of hatred and fear, and the other of bravery and hope. And the one that wins is the one you feed. But when real monsters lurk around, mosnters fed on years long of hatred; the presonal choice of "which one you feed" may decide wether you'll become food or not.
In a way, I was right to compare this novel with a Goosebumps for it had a similar eerie atmosphere. But from the first chapter it became clear that the book was targeting more mature audience - teens and not kids. It was visible not only in the trated themes, but also in the writing style. I really liked how the author was telling the story, his use of words, the alternating between different charatcers, and especially the interpretation of the title. Overall, it was fast and enjoyable read.
The main line of events building the story line didn't offer many surprises - a monster appears, main character's best friend gets bitten, main character goes through some personal drama and turmoil, a pretty girl appears, some appropriately werewolf gore, but in the end the day is saved. However, first thing - as said, the story is very well told. There were a lot of details, nice steady pace, and many diverse characters. It was a rather pleasent surprise to see that some chapters were kept exclusively for the adults - like Toby's father and Rachel's uncle - making them an integral part of the story, which is not so often seen in YA novels.
And second thing - what really makes this werewolf story stand among the rest is the background, the legend behind the monster and tha Native American atmosphere. It was the book's most original point and the author made a great work out of it.
There were some things I didn't enjoy much. But they were either indeed minor details (like I thought it weird how the werewolves were called with the person's given name in chapters where the characters had no way to distinguish who is who. This was probably so to make things clearer for the reader, but still made me frown). Or, it was stuff that would most definitely will be covered in the next books of the series (like the accident with Toby's mom, or Rachel's supposed powers).
The last chapter ends with not exactly a cliff-hanger, but something really catchy and promising for the next book. Most certainly, when Toby's next asked what are his plans for the future, the answer won't be simply "College".
I give "The one you feed" 4.5 stars and can recommend it for YA and horror fans.

~~~~
Следпрочитно:
Според старата индианска легенда, в душата на всеки човек се борят два вълка - единият изтъкан от страх и омраза, а другият от смелост и надежда. А кой ще победи - този, който храниш. Когато обаче истински чудовища започват да обикалят наоколо, чудовища, години наред хранени с омраза, от доскоро метафоричния изобр "кой вълк да нахраниш" може да зависи дали сам ще се превърнеш в плячка или не.
В известна степен, предчувствието ми да сравня тази книга с поредицата Гуусбъмпс бе на прав път - и двете притежават една и съща атмосфера. Но още от първата глава стана ясно, че целевата аудитория на поредицата "От мрака" са не деца, а тийнейджъри, и това си личеше не само в разискваните теми, но и в стила на писане. Много ми хареса как авторът е разказал историята, прехвърлянето от едни герои на други, и особено интерпретацията на заглавието.
Събитията, построяващи основната сюжетна линия, не поднесоха много изненади - появява се чудовище, най-добрият приятел на главния герой бива ухапан, главният герой преминава през солидно количество лична драма, появава се хубаво момиче, сцени на върколашка касапница, но накрая градът е спасен. Въпреки че в това отношение историята не бе кой знае колко оригинална, ми допадн много поради две причини. Първата - както казах, всичко бе много добре разказано. Основната линия бе разнообразена с множество детайли, темпото бе добро и имаше множество въвлечени герои вместо стандартно трио. Приятна изненада бе, че някои глави покриваха събитията от гледна точка на възрастните - бащата на Тоби и чичото на Рейчъл, което не е често срещано в YA романите.
И второто нещо, което всъщност кара тази книга да изпъква сред другите върколашки истории, е легендата зад чудовището и индианската атмосфера. Да обвърже нещата по такъв начин е най-оригиналното решение на автора, и той наистина го е разработил добре.
Някои неща не ми допаднаха съвсем. Но това бяха или наистина дребни детайли (например много се зачудих, когато върколаците бяха със собствени имена в глави, които се разкават от гледна точка на хора, които няма как да ги разпознаят). Или пък бяха неща, които със сигурност ще се развият в следващите томчета от поредицата - като загатнатите мистични сили на Рейчъл, или завършването на случая за катастрофата, отнела живота на майката на Тоби. Щеше ми се и те да получат развитие в тази книга, но човек не може да има всичко.
Последната глава завършва не точно с клиф-хангър (?? точен еквивалент, моля?), но с нещо наистина интригуващо и обещаващо за следващата книга. Да кажем само, че следващия път, когато попитат Тоби какви планове има за бъдещето, отговърт едва ли ще е просто "Колеж".
Давам на книгата 4.5 звездички и я препоръчвам на феновете на YA хоръра.
Profile Image for Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm.
1,256 reviews106 followers
August 13, 2015
The premise of the story was rather creepy and mind-boggling. Something was out there, a monster or a beast, that was killing people and animals. And then there’s Toby, a teenage son who seemed to be battling depression after the accident that cost her mom’s life. As a kid, he had heard so many urban legends about the monster sightings and killings. And now that he’s grown up a bit, it made him wonder if any of those stories were true.

Then there was Nate and Rachel. Two mystifying figures, one was new in town, the other one was his bestfriend. Two people who eventually convinced Toby that a “monster” was really on the loose. Toby, along with all the other interesting and intriguing characters, made this story more engaging and palpable. Trust, loyalty, courage and compassion were the qualities Toby had possessed and manifested, thus making him a very likable character.

James Drummond’s writing was excellent. He had kept me reading right from the start until I came to the end. The feeling of dread, fear and satisfaction was there in every page that I read. It even made me want to throw up and flee my room. Gahhh, this had been a really awesome book. The ending was also a treat to something more promising and exciting!
Profile Image for Micaela Michalk.
154 reviews10 followers
April 6, 2021
Disclaimer: I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

I wasn't a big fan of this book, to be honest. But I do want to start with the positives. I thought the idea was a really good one--a werewolf curse embedded with Native American beliefs can make for an interesting plot. I also really enjoyed Josh's POV. It seemed that Drummond felt most connected to this character which made his perspective more interesting and more relatable. The plot twist involving Bimisi was also a great turn that I didn't see coming, but I won't spoil it!
Now on to what I think could have been improved.
It seemed like there were too many POVs that jumped back and forth from each other rather abruptly. It also got exhausting and confusing trying to keep track of all the characters and their perspectives. For a first book in a series, I think it would be better to pick one or two characters and stick with it rather than jumping around.
I also found the first third of the book to be filled with clichés and unrealistic dialogue when it came to describing the high school social structure. I get that this setup was necessary to explain the characters' motives, but it felt stilted and like someone who has never actually been in a high school wrote it.
Finally, there were some scenes that were filled with a lot of carnage and bloodshed, yet I don't think the characters acted like they were surrounded by such a horror. Perhaps this is my perception and bias of what people should act like when facing trauma, but it seemed like a lot of people were emotionally unaffected in the moment (though not after).
To earn a higher star rating, I would expect perhaps a more realistic reactions from characters with each other and limiting the point of view.
Profile Image for Jessica Welch.
134 reviews2 followers
January 10, 2022
It started out as a solid decent read but somewhere along the line it transformed into something beyond anything I would have expected. It went from being pretty enjoyable to totally grabbing me and pulling me in. I did not want to put it down. There was so much action, drama, and suspense. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see where things went next. Some of the characters took a bit for me to warm up to but I grew to really love most of them. I also loved that the story moved between different characters' perspectives so you could see things unfold from all angles. A warning for parents buying for kids though there is occasional bad language. Chances are if your child is in high school it is probably nothing new to them, even if your child is in middle school I'm sure they hear those words often but just in case some parents are not comfortable with it. I wouldn't want people to buy this book only to give it poor ratings because of language. Personally to me none of it is out of place or excessive so I think it is fine. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Profile Image for Aparna Preethi.
Author 2 books36 followers
April 21, 2021
James Drummond’s debut novel, the one you feed clearly gives out waves of shock to the readers through his strong character creation and skill full writing style.
The story is about a teenager named Toby Hoffman who grew up in the small town of Silver falls, listening to all the scary stories about monsters and werewolves living in the neighboring woods of Umatilla. Now, as a teenager, he begins to believe that those were merely stories meant to stop children from wandering in the woods. But when a series of attacks by an unknown creature takes place in his town, his mind conflicts with his beliefs about whether these stories weren’t merely tales but something that’s truly occurring.
Toby decides to untie the strangles of horror and save his hometown from further attacks with the help of his determined native American neighbor, Rachel. The book clearly brings in all the elements of surprise through the twists and turns that occur as a sequel of events when a traumatized teenager and his neighbor decided to set out for the adventure to find the truth.
The brisk novel retains a straightforward plot by going the traditional route: a wolf-attack survivor inevitably becomes a lycanthrope, while silver bullets offer the best defense. Drummond aims for young adults, though there are dark moments, and has been able to bring in the whole attention of his readers by doping up all their imaginative skills through his prolific and articulate description of the characters, places, and events. It is the one best shot for horror novel fans who wish to have a new and eventful reading experience.
Profile Image for Kleri _reads.
165 reviews2 followers
April 29, 2021
I want to begin by saying that I LOVE the title! And ...yes, I totally enjoyed reading this book!

Is it perfect? No! I think it would be better if the changes in POV were smoother and if people could handle their weapons a bit better! :P Also, I feel that the ending didn't have enough of a cliffhanger effect on me - although I am still interested in reading the next book!

But...the plot is engaging, the characters are very relatable and the dilemmas are hard which makes the stakes high! In addition to that, the story is very well-paced. I totally loved the supernatural and Native American elements. And the action scenes were quite satisfying.

This book seems to be classified as teens & YA, personally, I feel that it could be read by any age because of the intensity of the descriptions. However, I would advise parents to read it themselves first, to decide whether their kids would feel comfortable with the amount of gore in it.

Overall, I found this story a great read and I would recommend it to anyone who likes supernatural stories and high-action scenes.

Profile Image for Evelyn.
623 reviews8 followers
March 21, 2021
The book as a whole is an easy, absorbing and fun read. The pace of the story makes sure that things are always happening while also giving readers time to digest the content.
In some moments, I felt like there were too many things happening too quickly in terms of time in the context of the story, but for younger readers I think this is just right.
I really enjoy James Drummond’s books; his writing and imagination puts him in my top ten author’s list.
The setting is the perfect hauntingly atmospheric place to set this book in and I appreciated being able to picture some of the scenes that the characters visited.
There was enough loose strings and unanswered questions left at the end of the book to leave me eager for book two. I look forward to finding out more about Toby Hoffman.
Profile Image for Guadalupe Herrera.
250 reviews2 followers
May 17, 2021
Strong Teen Lead

A strong character is sometimes hard to write, especially when that character is a teen. But James Drummond pulls it off with Toby. Having gone through a traumatizing experience, he realizes that lycnathropes are in his hometown. I love Toby's dedication to figuring out what is going on. Easy to get into, it keeps the reader captivated. I love reading books for younger audiences (or if they seem to be geared towards younger audiences) because I want the younger generation to love reading as much as I do. And for some of them to be represented in a way that they could very be in real life, is a boon! This is the first time I am reading one of Drummond's books, but I will certainly look into the others now that I have read one. If the others are within this line of storytelling, I know I will not be disappointed.
Profile Image for Alice G..
192 reviews3 followers
February 23, 2021

This book was amazing. From start to finish it pulled me in and I enjoyed learning more about the characters in this town and the beast that was mysteriously preying on them. This book changes perspectives between a variety of characters throughout the book and I thought that was useful in terms of development and storytelling. I have a lot more things I want to say about this but that would end up spoiling large portions of this book.

It did make me happy though that romance wasn't really at the forefront of this story between Toby and Rachel and action took precedence instead. It was refreshing to read.
Profile Image for Celeste.
599 reviews8 followers
March 20, 2021
“The One You Feed” written by James Drummond is a fascinating tale where fantasy and reality mixed to capture readers’ undivided attention. This is the first book in the Shadow Tales series and it is addressed to teenagers although I think it can be enjoyed by young and old alike.
I am an avid reader of fantasy stories and I can recognize here a good novel written with great mastery of the genre. The plot is well-developed and supplemented with enough cliff-hangers and twists to keep readers hooked until the end. The characters are interesting and well-constructed, I really loved them. Dialogues and descriptions of events give substance to the story and make it one of a kind. I really enjoyed this read and I recommend it.
Profile Image for CarlitasFox.
686 reviews7 followers
March 21, 2021
A frightening, compelling story
When it comes to creepy stories, this one has kept me at the edge of my seat during the reading. Even the name gave me that impression: “The One You Feed” is a frightening folk tale written by James Drummond. This story tells the adventures that two teenagers experience in which some supernatural beasts appear in their own birthplace and they must protect themselves. In this story, what I liked the most is the connection that these two friends have- they make a great team. Their dialogues and the descriptions are so vivid and realistic that I could experience their fears or anxieties. I really liked James' writing style since the story flows smoothly. In a nutshell, I truly recommend it!

Profile Image for Sol Tyty.
649 reviews6 followers
April 23, 2021
The One You Feed by James Drummond is a supernatural
tale packed with action and adventure and it is the first book in the Shadow Tales series.
Author Drummond has penned 85 chapters here and even though they are a lot, none of them become dull. He has been able to employ an on-point narrative that invites readers to follow the story until the last page.
This book stands out from the rest of the supernatural books I have had the chance to read since it has been able to interweave the life of teenagers and
lycanthropes, a combination I have never thought would be so intriguing.
The teenagers are shocked and they fear these beasts. I could even feel that and almost believe I was even part of the story when following their dialogues.
Profile Image for Kourtney Bradley.
416 reviews8 followers
April 26, 2021
Book one in this series was a fun read and one that I think a wide range of readers would enjoy. The main character, though a teenager, has a strong mindset and makes decisions carefully, which more mature readers would appreciate. The exiting factor of having been told horror stories to only then have them come to life and have a real-life effect on the main character is a unique premise, specifically with how he was then tasked with trying to stop the cycle of terror or future attacks. Readers with an appreciation for the supernatural will definitely enjoy this one, especially if they enjoy stories that are fast paced and full of action. I liked that though this one was a bit of a longer read, the way it was full of action made it seem as though it flew by.
Profile Image for Danielle.
330 reviews4 followers
December 29, 2020
Overall, while this book wasn't Earth shattering for me, it was an enjoyable read.

To me, the book starts really slow. There isn't really any action until you're a good 100 pages in...in fact I almost marked it as DNF. I'm glad I didn't. The best way to sum this book up for me is that it reminds me of an 80's horror movie. That may not seem like a compliment, but it is. The book has twists and turns, but at it's heart is a simple kind of horror. And it has plenty of gore, but not the kind that feels like shock effect.

I'm not sure who the intended audience is. There are some YA qualities, but if you're vetting this for a teen, I would definitely read it first.

I received an copy of this book for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Profile Image for Alfredo R.
603 reviews6 followers
March 19, 2021
Surprising thriller!

Whoa! What a thriller! Judging by its cover, I thought “The One You Feed” by James Drummond was just a reader for teenagers.

Nevertheless, I found myself shaking like a leaf on more than one occasion.

The story is about a young boy who lives in a town where werewolves are undercover - I mean, they are everywhere. In fact, one of those beasts could actually be the main character’s best friend.

Despite the fact that the description provided by the author seems simple and unconvincing, the tale itself becomes unputdownable chapter by chapter.

Great one for both teenagers and adults!
Profile Image for Nela.
637 reviews9 followers
April 24, 2021
“The One You Feed” by author James Drummond, is the first Shadow Tales book. It is a long length book, especially for teenagers but it keeps its chapters concise and brings each one of them to a fitting end that urges the reader on to the next for more. In this way, it becomes an engaging tale and there are certain twists and turns that make the tale even more interesting and difficult to put down.
Also, characters are originally described and developed, which makes it easy to empathize with them.

This supernatural action-adventure novel (with touches of romance) is well plotted, fascinating, fast-paced, and full of surprises. Young readers that like this genre will be delighted.
Profile Image for Brenda.
599 reviews11 followers
April 24, 2021
I absolutely loved that title! I instantly clicked on the book when I saw it! In this action packed thriller, the readers are going to be immersed in a well narrated supernatural story.

Author James Drummond created a novel in which we are going to experience the adventures of these two main characters and what they are going to go through in order to be safe.

I think this novel has a very good pace that complements the suspense built by the author. It’s a great book meant for younger readers, but I have to say I was very into the storyline and I found myself going through pages wanting to know what is going to happen next.
Profile Image for Susel.
364 reviews3 followers
April 28, 2021
The One You Feed is book one from the Shadow Tales series. This supernatural adventure is a very visual story rich in details that pulls the reader in and doesn’t let them go.
This is a compelling book with well-developed characters, especially the main character called Toby. Readers will root for him as he tries to figure out what is behind the brutal attacks that have been taking place in his town, by no other than his best friend and other lycanthropes.
If all that is a little confusing, it just adds to the crazy plot, the fast pace, and the desire to know how this all turns out. A great book from beginning to end, and one that is highly recommended!
Profile Image for Mary.
269 reviews13 followers
January 17, 2021
I thoroughly enjoyed this different take on the werewolves lore. Loved the Native American spin on this tale as well, really identified with the characters and felt the angst of the main characters.

This is definitely aimed more at the young adult, but even so I enjoyed the story and the writing style. Very engaging. I always find that I enjoy a book more when there are characters that I can relate to.

Profile Image for Ivana S..
358 reviews6 followers
April 26, 2021
The One You Feed is the first book in the “Shadow Tales” series and I have to admit that I want to continue reading books from this author because I had an amazing time with this read and I am sure that his other books will be as good as this one. This piece of writing has a mix of genres: fantasy, drama and action combine with some supernatural elements and a lot of twists and turns that left me at the edge of my seat, thinking and asking: what? Really?

To conclude, I want to recommend this book to everyone, but specially to fantasy fans like me. It is a must read!
229 reviews
December 20, 2020
This was definitely a young adult or teen book. Growing up is tough, handling changes, loss and learning. What would you do if you could remove all the negative people in your daily life? If you could be special, maybe the person you always wanted to be. Would you do anything to achieve it? This ended on a bit of a cliff hanger, I would have loved more info on Jack and the aftermath of the atrocities visited on the area.
Profile Image for Inger.
144 reviews2 followers
January 8, 2021
This is a good start for this series. Lots of action. Fantastic characters with a great plot. Well written and an enjoyable read. No sexual content and no foul language. It does have violence though. I recommend for teens and up. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Profile Image for Billie.
5,448 reviews61 followers
March 7, 2021
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and action with wonderful world building.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I read a complimentary advance copy of the book; this is my voluntary and honest review.
Profile Image for Suzy Ostapower.
229 reviews1 follower
April 23, 2021
When I began the book I really wasn’t quite sure where it was going. It started a little slow and as I continued it absolutely got better. The way Mr. Drummond incorporated mysticism and native lore was very well done. I plan to read book two as well. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
August 16, 2022
Great Howler YA & Teen Read

Great flesh tearing, coming of age, love, and drama all in one. Good story and relatable characters brought to life throughout.
Profile Image for merlin513.
118 reviews
January 4, 2021
Toby is suffering from a severe case of depression after the death of his mother. Which he feels was his fault. When his neighbor marries a native woman from the nearby reservation, she and her daughter move in next door. Rachel is a stunner and Toby's thinking the summer may be looking up. But, there's a killer loose in the community and things are fixing to get much, MUCH worse.

I would categorize these books as being in the preteen age range. But they're still an interesting read as an adult reader. But I REALLY would have loved them when I was 12 or 13. Especially if you've got a child that's a monster or horror fan and loves things that go 'bump' in the night.

Profile Image for Candi.
86 reviews1 follower
May 8, 2021
It has been a very long time since I read a book with a werewolf. This story is suspenseful and intriguing. A fast paced story with twists and turns that will put you on the edge of your seat.

Thank you BookSirens for this ARC.
Profile Image for Majanka.
Author 81 books410 followers
January 1, 2014
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

In The One You Feed, Toby has had a tough time ever since his Mom passed away in a car accident – while he was driving. He and his Dad try to get to terms with what happened, but it’s tough on both of them. Then a new girl arrives in town, Rachel, a Native American girl who originally lived in the nearby Umatilla Indian Reservation. Toby immediately feels attracted to Rachel. She’s anything like he imagined – she’s willfull, persistent, strong. But he’s not the only one who has an eye on the new girl, and the town’s bullies try to get their hands on her right away.

While the bullies take Toby’s best friend Nate, on a paintball-shooting-trip to the woods (where Nate is the living target practice), something stirs deep inside those woods. Nate doesn’t return and when Mike, one of the bullies, goes to look for him later that night, along with his girlfriend, he gets attacked and murdered. The following morning, Toby finds Nate in the woods, covered in blood.

As the town gets stalked by a legendary monster that has come straight out of the fairytale books into the real world, Toby grows convinced Nate may be involved somehow. Nate on the other hand, discovers more and more supernatural abilities of his own…

Toby was an interesting character to read about. After his Mom’s passing, he goes through severe depression, and it sounded real. Authors all too often want to get rid of a character’s pain to focus on the story, but not here. Apart from his emotions and guilt about that, he seemed like a regular teen, and talked like one as well.

The plot had both original and familiar elements. It was quite obvious to figure out what was targeting the people of Silver Falls, but the characters and the Indian lore, brought some original elements to the table. The writing was great, and the author has a knack for describing scenes in just a few sentences.

If you like young adult horror, this book definitely won’t dissapoint. I didn’t find it that scary – monsters don’t scare me all that much, so far only ghosts have succeeded to do so – but it was entertaining.
Profile Image for Crystal.
122 reviews23 followers
February 2, 2014
My Rant: The One You Feed was such an interesting story. From the beginning something weird is going on in this little town and the killing spree begins. But whats horrifying is that no body knows what , or who is doing it. What they do know is that this thing or person takes no prisoners and the gruesome scenes are more than what the towns people can endure. The main character Toby stole my heart in an innocent way. Toby was broken, he did not have any interest in existing. As a reader when you find out why Tobi is the way he is it totally breaks your heart. You get all those raw emotions from him but what surprised me the most is that he is brave. In this book you work through the emotions of this character and you get to watch him grow to be who he truly is especially when another character steps into the scenes and grabs his attention. There are villains, and I am going to leave it at that, who makes this story even more believable. The author displays real life issues that you have to work through as the reader but they are simple to relate to. When Mike , the villain, got what was coming to him I cant believe I was laughing at such a horrid moment but hey I even surprised myself. Once the murders began there was this stinging feeling that there is something out there that no one wants to face, of course I wanted to know what it was but the suspense in this book keeps you on the edge and each scenes is worse than the last, But the authors continues to pull you closer to the edge and dangles you there for a while. What a rush of a feeling until you come face to face with the thing or should I say things.

Overall, I found this story intriguing and terrifying in a good way. I was able to connect to the characters and found that I actually was able to enjoy this YA story. I am really looking forward to reading book 2 in the Out of the Dark Series.

My Recommendation:

I rated this book 3 1/2 out of 5 Purple Rant Hearts and would recommend this book to YA readers that enjoy Horror stories.

FTC Disclosure: I received this book for free from the author, editor, publisher, or Promo Host. This is my honest opinion about this book and I did not receive any monetary compensation for writing this review nor was I obligated to write a positive one.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 49 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.