Start by marking “The One You Feed (Shadow Tales #1)” as Want to Read:
The One You Feed (Shadow Tales #1)

The One You Feed

(Shadow Tales)

Like most kids who grew up in the small town of Silver Falls, Toby Hoffman heard all the scary stories about monsters living in the neighboring woods of the Umatilla Indian Reservation. Now a teenager, he knows the tales are made up to keep the town’s children from wandering where they aren’t wanted.

Then his best friend, Nate, wakes up covered in blood in the reservation w
Published October 2012 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about The One You Feed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One You Feed

Start your review of The One You Feed (Shadow Tales #1)
Nina Ivanova
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Full review/цялото ревю - click click

After-read thoughts:
Acording to the old tale, there are two wolves battling in everyone's soul - one made of hatred and fear, and the other of bravery and hope. And the one that wins is the one you feed. But when real monsters lurk around, mosnters fed on years long of hatred; the presonal choice of "which one you feed" may decide wether you'll become food or not.
In a way, I was right to compare this novel with a Goosebumps for it had a similar eeri
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
The premise of the story was rather creepy and mind-boggling. Something was out there, a monster or a beast, that was killing people and animals. And then there’s Toby, a teenage son who seemed to be battling depression after the accident that cost her mom’s life. As a kid, he had heard so many urban legends about the monster sightings and killings. And now that he’s grown up a bit, it made him wonder if any of those stories were true.

Then there was Nate and Rachel. Two mystifying figures, one w
Micaela Michalk
Apr 06, 2021 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

I wasn't a big fan of this book, to be honest. But I do want to start with the positives. I thought the idea was a really good one--a werewolf curse embedded with Native American beliefs can make for an interesting plot. I also really enjoyed Josh's POV. It seemed that Drummond felt most connected to this character which made his perspective more interesting and more relatable. The plot twist involvi
Aparna Preethi
Apr 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
James Drummond’s debut novel, the one you feed clearly gives out waves of shock to the readers through his strong character creation and skill full writing style.
The story is about a teenager named Toby Hoffman who grew up in the small town of Silver falls, listening to all the scary stories about monsters and werewolves living in the neighboring woods of Umatilla. Now, as a teenager, he begins to believe that those were merely stories meant to stop children from wandering in the woods. But when
Kleri _reads
Apr 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
I want to begin by saying that I LOVE the title! And ...yes, I totally enjoyed reading this book!

Is it perfect? No! I think it would be better if the changes in POV were smoother and if people could handle their weapons a bit better! :P Also, I feel that the ending didn't have enough of a cliffhanger effect on me - although I am still interested in reading the next book!

But...the plot is engaging, the characters are very relatable and the dilemmas are hard which makes the stakes high! In additio
Evelyn
Mar 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
The book as a whole is an easy, absorbing and fun read. The pace of the story makes sure that things are always happening while also giving readers time to digest the content.
In some moments, I felt like there were too many things happening too quickly in terms of time in the context of the story, but for younger readers I think this is just right.
I really enjoy James Drummond’s books; his writing and imagination puts him in my top ten author’s list.
The setting is the perfect hauntingly atmos
Elisabet
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing

This book was amazing. From start to finish it pulled me in and I enjoyed learning more about the characters in this town and the beast that was mysteriously preying on them. This book changes perspectives between a variety of characters throughout the book and I thought that was useful in terms of development and storytelling. I have a lot more things I want to say about this but that would end up spoiling larg
Celeste
Mar 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
“The One You Feed” written by James Drummond is a fascinating tale where fantasy and reality mixed to capture readers’ undivided attention. This is the first book in the Shadow Tales series and it is addressed to teenagers although I think it can be enjoyed by young and old alike.
I am an avid reader of fantasy stories and I can recognize here a good novel written with great mastery of the genre. The plot is well-developed and supplemented with enough cliff-hangers and twists to keep readers hoo
CarlitasFox
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A frightening, compelling story
When it comes to creepy stories, this one has kept me at the edge of my seat during the reading. Even the name gave me that impression: “The One You Feed” is a frightening folk tale written by James Drummond. This story tells the adventures that two teenagers experience in which some supernatural beasts appear in their own birthplace and they must protect themselves. In this story, what I liked the most is the connection that these two friends have- they make a gre
Sol Tyty
Apr 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
The One You Feed by James Drummond is a supernatural
tale packed with action and adventure and it is the first book in the Shadow Tales series.
Author Drummond has penned 85 chapters here and even though they are a lot, none of them become dull. He has been able to employ an on-point narrative that invites readers to follow the story until the last page.
This book stands out from the rest of the supernatural books I have had the chance to read since it has been able to interweave the life of teen
Kourtney Bradley
Apr 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Book one in this series was a fun read and one that I think a wide range of readers would enjoy. The main character, though a teenager, has a strong mindset and makes decisions carefully, which more mature readers would appreciate. The exiting factor of having been told horror stories to only then have them come to life and have a real-life effect on the main character is a unique premise, specifically with how he was then tasked with trying to stop the cycle of terror or future attacks. Readers ...more
Danielle
Dec 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Overall, while this book wasn't Earth shattering for me, it was an enjoyable read.

To me, the book starts really slow. There isn't really any action until you're a good 100 pages in...in fact I almost marked it as DNF. I'm glad I didn't. The best way to sum this book up for me is that it reminds me of an 80's horror movie. That may not seem like a compliment, but it is. The book has twists and turns, but at it's heart is a simple kind of horror. And it has plenty of gore, but not the kind that fe
Alfredo R
Mar 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Surprising thriller!

Whoa! What a thriller! Judging by its cover, I thought “The One You Feed” by James Drummond was just a reader for teenagers.

Nevertheless, I found myself shaking like a leaf on more than one occasion.

The story is about a young boy who lives in a town where werewolves are undercover - I mean, they are everywhere. In fact, one of those beasts could actually be the main character’s best friend.

Despite the fact that the description provided by the author seems simple and unconvinc
Nela
Apr 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
“The One You Feed” by author James Drummond, is the first Shadow Tales book. It is a long length book, especially for teenagers but it keeps its chapters concise and brings each one of them to a fitting end that urges the reader on to the next for more. In this way, it becomes an engaging tale and there are certain twists and turns that make the tale even more interesting and difficult to put down.
Also, characters are originally described and developed, which makes it easy to empathize with the
Brenda
Apr 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved that title! I instantly clicked on the book when I saw it! In this action packed thriller, the readers are going to be immersed in a well narrated supernatural story.

Author James Drummond created a novel in which we are going to experience the adventures of these two main characters and what they are going to go through in order to be safe.

I think this novel has a very good pace that complements the suspense built by the author. It’s a great book meant for younger readers, b
Susel Dezzani
Apr 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
The One You Feed is book one from the Shadow Tales series. This supernatural adventure is a very visual story rich in details that pulls the reader in and doesn’t let them go.
This is a compelling book with well-developed characters, especially the main character called Toby. Readers will root for him as he tries to figure out what is behind the brutal attacks that have been taking place in his town, by no other than his best friend and other lycanthropes.
If all that is a little confusing, it ju
Mary
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this different take on the werewolves lore. Loved the Native American spin on this tale as well, really identified with the characters and felt the angst of the main characters.

This is definitely aimed more at the young adult, but even so I enjoyed the story and the writing style. Very engaging. I always find that I enjoy a book more when there are characters that I can relate to.

Ivana S.
Apr 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The One You Feed is the first book in the “Shadow Tales” series and I have to admit that I want to continue reading books from this author because I had an amazing time with this read and I am sure that his other books will be as good as this one. This piece of writing has a mix of genres: fantasy, drama and action combine with some supernatural elements and a lot of twists and turns that left me at the edge of my seat, thinking and asking: what? Really?

To conclude, I want to recommend this book
Kathy Wortham
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was definitely a young adult or teen book. Growing up is tough, handling changes, loss and learning. What would you do if you could remove all the negative people in your daily life? If you could be special, maybe the person you always wanted to be. Would you do anything to achieve it? This ended on a bit of a cliff hanger, I would have loved more info on Jack and the aftermath of the atrocities visited on the area.
Inger
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a good start for this series. Lots of action. Fantastic characters with a great plot. Well written and an enjoyable read. No sexual content and no foul language. It does have violence though. I recommend for teens and up. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Billie
Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and action with wonderful world building.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I read a complimentary advance copy of the book; this is my voluntary and honest review.
Suzy Ostapower
Apr 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
When I began the book I really wasn’t quite sure where it was going. It started a little slow and as I continued it absolutely got better. The way Mr. Drummond incorporated mysticism and native lore was very well done. I plan to read book two as well. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
merlin513
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Toby is suffering from a severe case of depression after the death of his mother. Which he feels was his fault. When his neighbor marries a native woman from the nearby reservation, she and her daughter move in next door. Rachel is a stunner and Toby's thinking the summer may be looking up. But, there's a killer loose in the community and things are fixing to get much, MUCH worse.

I would categorize these books as being in the preteen age range. But they're still an interesting read as an adult r
Candi
Apr 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It has been a very long time since I read a book with a werewolf. This story is suspenseful and intriguing. A fast paced story with twists and turns that will put you on the edge of your seat.

Thank you BookSirens for this ARC.
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

In The One You Feed, Toby has had a tough time ever since his Mom passed away in a car accident – while he was driving. He and his Dad try to get to terms with what happened, but it’s tough on both of them. Then a new girl arrives in town, Rachel, a Native American girl who originally lived in the nearby Umatilla Indian Reservation. Toby immediately feels attracted to Rachel. She’s anything like he imagined – she’s wi
Crystal
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
My Rant: The One You Feed was such an interesting story. From the beginning something weird is going on in this little town and the killing spree begins. But whats horrifying is that no body knows what , or who is doing it. What they do know is that this thing or person takes no prisoners and the gruesome scenes are more than what the towns people can endure. The main character Toby stole my heart in an innocent way. Toby was broken, he did not have any interest in existing. As a reader when you ...more
Jessica
A small town. Stories about the monsters that lurk in the woods. Best friends, who become enemies. Does this perhaps sound familiar to you? If you're thinking that it sounds rather similar to a good old fashioned horror movie, you'd be right! The One You Feed made me feel like I was watching an 80's horror movie, and I'm not going to deny that I ate it up. Be prepared for some blood and gore.

Toby was my favorite character, hands down. We meet him at an extremely low point in his life, and are al
Melissa Burcham
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
I was given a copy of this book for an honest review free of persuasion from the author or anyone else affiliated with this book.

CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS

Wow. What a great book! I had read book 2 in this series first. I loved it so much that I had to go back and pick up book 1. I am so glad I did. It was a great book. It also made book 2 make so much more sense because you know more about the characters and what they have been through up to the point book 2 starts. This is not a review on book 2 th
Lissette
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toby Hoffman has spent most of his life hearing the stories surrounding the 'monsters' living in the woods near Silver Falls. Though such stories are urban legends, recent unexpected killings make him question that very fact. Though he and the rest of the town aren't exactly sure as to what to make of the situation itself, he knows there has to be a plausible explanation for what's going on.

Immersing himself in his every day life, Toby starts to wonder as to what is going on. Who's causing the k
Ashley Tomlinson
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
The beginning of this really hooked me and made me want to read more. I kind of figured out what the monster was before the book told me but that's because I read a lot of paranormal books so I tend to put things together quickly. Who doesn't like to read about things that go bump in the night? Or things that howl and rip you to shreds, that's cool too.

Toby and Nate are best friends. They're not the coolest of kids, in fact Nate has to do the jocks homework or face getting beat up. When Rachel
Kindle Unlimited ...: Discover the Shadow Tales Series 1 5 Feb 04, 2016 08:01PM

• Breaking Bots: Inventing A New Voice In The AI Revolution
  • Encrypting Billions: How Michael Keresman Made Cleveland the Epicenter of E-Commerce and Made Millions<
  • The Successful Manager: Practical Approaches for Building and Leading High-Performing Teams
  • The Rise of Aeon Nous
  • You Are Not Them: The Authentic Entrepreneur's Way
  • God of the Details: The Scientific Cover-Up of Intelligent Design
  • Legacy
  • The Big Smile: The Principles of Modern Dentistry―For Dentists and Patients
  • Advanced English Conversation Dialogues: Speak English Like a Native Speaker with Common Idioms and Phrases in American English (Tips for English Learners Book 5)
  • Bad Medicine: A Medical Thriller (Brad Parker and Karen Richmond, #3
  • Jinn (Soothsayer Series Book 2)
  • Unlocking Lean Six Sigma: A Competency-Based Approach to Applying Continuous Process Improvement Principles and Best Practices
  • Ching Ling Foo: America's First Chinese Superstar
  • From the Delta Mud
  • Hair Loss: Options for Restoration & Reversal
  • The Evolving Peacemaker: A Commitment to Nonviolence
  • Daily Happy Living: How to be Happy Each Day in spite of the Challenges We Face Daily, by using the Joycentrix System (Happiness - The Joycentrix way Book 1)
  • Rippling Waves: A Spiritual Journey Through the Heart of the Universe
James Drummond was born in Arlington Heights, IL and graduated from DePauw University with a bachelor's degree in English writing. A lifelong horror fan, he's attempting to put a new spin on familiar folklore with his Shadow Tales series. Today James lives in Chicago with his wife Angela and two cats named Snowball and Suzette. During the day he is a Senior Instructional Designer for an e-learning ...more

Shadow Tales (3 books)
  • Something Wiccan (Shadow Tales #2)
  • The Agreement