Start by marking “Secrets At Court (Royal Weddings, #1)” as Want to Read:
Secrets At Court (Royal Weddings, #1)

Secrets At Court (Royal Weddings #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
THE THRONE OF ENGLAND IS AT STAKE!

Anne of Stamford has long been the keeper of her mistress's secrets, but when Lady Joan marries the king's son, court life becomes ever more perilous. Sir Nicholas Lovayne has arrived to uncover the truth about Lady Joan's past, and Anne must do something—anything—to throw him off….

Longing to escape the intrigues at court, Nicholas hasn'
Published February 18th 2014 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets At Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets At Court

Kay (aka) Miss Bates
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A new-to-me author I'd originally DNF-ed and recently decided to give another chance. So very glad I did. A novel of considered, thorough historical research yet nothing ponderous about it. The history comes alive; our hero and heroine, poignantly held back from expressing love, find solace in each other. At the whim of their royal masters, their proximity leads to understanding and care; physical attraction drives them into each others' arms. The whispered confidences after love-making see the ...more
Ruth
This was such a wonderful story that I didn't want it to end, and when it did, I was left with that horrible what-on-earth-can-I-read-now? feeling you get when you read a book which completely absorbs you. I had to set aside all the books I'd had lined up to read next, and choose something else, because nothing I'd selected was going to come anywhere near close to being a satisfying read after this one, which was provided by the publisher through netgalley.

This is a story set in the court of Edw
Harlequin Books
"Gifford peeks behind the scenes of royal weddings in the first of a duet and creates a solid, worthy read. Royals plus secrets plus impending exposure always equals drama of the highest order, and Gifford delivers with quiet flair when she pairs the countess' closet companion with the prince's enigmatic warrior. Gifford also succeeds in addressing the many challenges Anne faces with realism and respect." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars

Miniseries: Royal Weddings
eyes.2c
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Explosive secrets and hesitant love!

1361. A tale of princes, love and discarded husbands. Secrets skulk in high places, surrounding annulled marriages and ecclesiastical decisions. The story of Joan of Kent, and her irregular marriages is witnessed through the eyes of her constant companion Anne, the lame daughter of Joan's former lady-in-waiting.
Anne of Stamford is the focus through which the fascinating woman who would become Prince Edward's wife is revealed. There is a deep mystery surroundi
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks
3 1/2 Stars

Through a series of unfortunate incidents, the imperfect Anne of Stamford comes into the service of the ambitious and deceptive, Lady Joan, who is determined to wed Edward of Woodstock, the eldest son of the King of England. Anne knows she must do all Lady Joan bids for her well-being and for those around her even if she doesn't agree with what is going on around her. Loyalty always comes with a price.

Sir Nicholas Lovayne has spent most of his life in service with his sword and now he
Farrah
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A sweet romance filled with court drama, Secrets at Court was a lovely historical romance read. I really liked this book, from the romance, to the intrigue. It was a wonderful read.

I really liked Anne. She was very strong, in her own quiet way. I mean, she manages to live at court as a future queen's handmaiden, and she does it all with a crippled foot. She was very loyal and determined to be happy despite her disability. I thought she was great.

Nicholas was sweet. He was clever and determined a
Ellen Parker
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Is it possible for a prince to marry for love rather than political or financial gain?
Anne of Stamford, crippled since birth, is fortunate to be a lady-in-waiting to Lady Joan. For fifteen years she has lived with the court and held a secret capable of destroying the approaching royal marriage.
Nicholas Lovayne is valued for his skills in both war and peace. Now he has returned from presenting a petition to the Pope. Diplomats, clergy, and coin will enable the Prince to marry Lady Joan, regard
Melanie Rigney
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I happen to also be reading Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror, which is in part told about the marriage of Isabella, sister of the king's son whose marriage to Lady Joan is a subplot in this book. Blythe's story helped the period come much more alive for me as a result. Heroines always have a flaw of some sort; they have to, because if they were perfect, they'd be boring. I liked what Blythe did with giving Anne a physical disability, an outer flaw, and having her be less than conventionally be ...more
Gail
Good read. The hero is a knight in the service of the Black Prince in the late 1300s. He's a quartermaster and "fixer" of sorts. The heroine is a lady for the woman the prince wants to marry, a woman with a complicated marital past. And the heroine suffers with a club foot, back when no one had any ideas for treatment. She's resigned to a life of invisibility. Until the prince's gofer --the hero-- stumbles across her. The story grows slowly and sweetly, with hints and suspicions about the lady's ...more
Marie
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't have high hopes for this one. I mean, I found it on the clearance shelf, it's apart of a harlequin series and it's not particularly long. So I grabbed it as one of my generic romance novels I keep around for in between really long series, or when I'm needing something a little simpler to enjoy. And really, it was the pretty cover that drew me in.
I was pleasantly surprised. I actually, genuinely, liked both of the main characters. At no point did I want to slap them.
I'm definitely keepin
Lizzie
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
It was ok, I have read better historical romances. But it was refreshing to read about a heroine with a disability. If you want to read more about Joan and the Black prince Edward I recommend The King's Concubine A Novel of Alice Perrers by Anne O'Brien. It is a bigger book but portrays Joan in a far more negative light. But it is a detailed interesting concept of Edward 3rd and Phillipa on Hainault
Amy
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this medieval romance and enjoyed every moment of it. Really, really lovely.

Exciting with twists and turns right up until the very end. Leaves you wondering what really happened with Lady Joan and whether the marriage with Thomas was legit or not. And Nicholas Lovayne was a wonderful hero. Beautiful descriptions of the cathedral too and really brought to life the era of the Middle Ages.
Cynthia Fry
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I appreciate the use of actual history with modern interpretation. The romance, with the exception of an abrupt about face, was realistic and did not feel forced. I wish the red hair bias was better explained though. as a historical fan I understand where it comes from, but it was completely lacking why the character felt she was unfashionable at best. I may look for other historically based novels from this author as I appreciated the research that went into the writing.
SuperWendy
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't read a lot of medievals, but when I do I WANT a medieval. I felt the author did a nice job with her world-building and there was no mistaking this story as anything other than a medieval. Nice to see the importance of the Vatican addressed in this story, and I loved that the author gave us a disabled heroine without pitying her.
Beth Streeter
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Quick read. Good story line. Ah the romance….swoon. ;)
Mary Jo Burke
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Intrigue and romance are afoot in this excellent story!
Harlequin Historical
Miniseries: Royal Weddings
Sandy McCarthy
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-winner
I won this novel in a contest! Full of historical fiction, gentle romance. LOVED it!!
L.D.
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historical, Medieval Romance, 1361 era
A Blythe Gifford first for me!!! I'm glad I did!!! Meet Ann of Stamford and Sir Nicholas Lovayne. A wonderful change of pace!!
Mary Claire
3,5 Stars. More detailed review to follow.
Louise
Sep 26, 2015
Neelam Dubey
rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2015
After many years in public relations, advertising, and marketing, Blythe Gifford started writing seriously after a corporate layoff. Ten years and one layoff later, she became an overnight success when she sold her Romance Writers of America Golden Heart finalist manuscript to Harlequin.
She has since written medieval romances featuring characters born on the wrong side of the royal blanket. Now,
More about Blythe Gifford...

Royal Weddings (3 books)
  • Whispers at Court (Royal Weddings, #2)
  • Rumors at Court (Royal Weddings #3)