Start by marking “Melting Away The Ice (The Ice Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Melting Away The Ice (The Ice Series #1)

Melting Away The Ice

(The Ice #1)

Sara Smith, a hard working lawyer, thought she found her true love. Unfortunately, that was a huge mistake. Now she goes home at night and avoids people. Until one day her best friend forces her to go to a hockey game.
Lucas Sharp, the Captain of the Chicago Eagles, has focused on one thing, winning the Cup. It was not until a meet and greet after the game that he saw Sara.
Published 2013 by Nevermore Press

To ask other readers questions about Melting Away The Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Melting Away The Ice

Start your review of Melting Away The Ice (The Ice Series #1)
Jenna Roads
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Thank you Mary for allowing me to get an ARC of your debut novel. Uh hum, this book contains explicit sex scenes.
This book is dynamic and full of sass, hot guys , beautiful women and will make you have the full range of emotions your body can experience.You will laugh, cry, cheer, fall in love and want to kick butt! This was a wonderful story of sexy women lawyers and hot hockey players!
It's about a secret thing that happens to Sara that changed her life forever and the people who care abo
Cathryn
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sports
This book seriously needed an editor.

photo c9a54e0dacda2601ce3613d3fd2112a954a3b83eaab2eee4a45fcfff2a82ebd5_zpseyug2srb.jpg

I'm a sucker for a hockey story so I'll read the next one but this wasn't great. I've definitely read better.
Candace
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am truly honored to have been allowed to read Mary Smith's first book, Melting Away The Ice.

The story is extremely interesting, the characters are believable, and you cannot help but fall in love with Lucas Sharp!

Sara is a brilliant lawyer with a horrific bit of baggage she hasn't been able to unpack. Lucas Sharp is an amazing hockey player who has been too busy with his goals to really do anything else. That's all I'm going to give you as details go.

What I like: The story is developed throug
Taylor Lakke
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given an ARC for an honest review.......
I loved this book. This was a great and fast paced read. The kind you can't put down. The author had me at hello Lucas. A very swoon worthy hockey playing hunk! I loved the characters, especially Sara and her best friend Rachel. I felt the pain of Sara's plight and the thick as thieves type friendship of Sara and Rachel.I loved how strong Rachel was and how well the friends complimented each other. Lucas can definitely melt away the ice around my hea
FloeticFlo
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, true story, I dated a hockey player before. My story didn't end like Lucas and Sara's, but I still understand where Sara was coming from ;-) We even have an ice skating date and everything! But back to the story...

Sara Smith was treated not very nicely by her ex-boyfriend. (Understatement of the YEAR.) So she is still tender and just trying to go through the day to day motions when her best friend drags her to a hockey game and the hottie team captain notices her.

What follow is an intense em
Jackie Rodriguez
Oct 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I really liked the story. However the writing should have been polished a bit more. It was worth reading and I would have rated it higher if the writing itself was polished. A lot of times it seemed like the internal dialog that the characters had with themselves was juvenile and not up to par with the rest of the story. I also would have like to see Max and Rachel's story in a little more depth.

Great Story though!
Lisa Berk
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute book, but a ton of typos.. Sort of got distracting
Jenee -Jenee's Book Blog
This is Mary Smith's first book, well she has written books before but they were written by her and another author. I read her previous book, Breakaway, which she co-wrote with Lindsay Paige and loved it! So since I love hockey romance so much I decided to give this one a shot too! It has no cliffhanger but is part of a series.

Sarah has relationship baggage and goes to a hockey game to get out for once. She doesn't have a good background as far as relationships and family goes but none of that
Jacque
May 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge hockey fan, so I was excited when by blog partner Mary sent me an ARC of her first novel.

I absolutely loved the behind the scenes interactions between the players. Max, Marc, and Lucas are very close both on and off the ice. When you are The Captain of a very young team that is in contention for the Cup, your work is never done. Lucas is a consummate professional, but from the moment he meets Sara at a meet and greet he can't stop thinking about her.

Sarah is not a hockey fan and has
Beth
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I could not put it down! It is just the right amount of sweet and sexy and it even had me teary eyed at the end. The characters were great and I can't wait to read the next one!
Dee
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. :)
Wendy
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I enjoyed the characters and the story. I cant wait for the next in the series.
Johanna Schonberger
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
3-4 Stars.
George
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. The characters just weren't believable at all.
Linda Olinger
This was a good story, but it seriously needs a GOOD proofreader! Not an editor but someone who know grammar, spelling and which word to use, I.e. passed when it should have been past!!! Context, grammar, etc. is Everything if you want to keep readers coming back! I’m not being ugly here, because I truly enjoyed the story, but it seriously needed to be proofread before publishing!
Katie
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I was hoping it was a well-written and thought out as some of the other series I had read, but it wasn't. That's not to say it was bad, because it wasn't. It had a good story line, something a little different but not too different at the same time.

The story follows Sara as she is working to get back to herself before a terrible domestic violence incident. She is drug by her friend Rachel to a hockey game where she meets Lucas Sharp by accident. Lucas is the captain of the Chicago Eagles. He dog
Lesley
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book, to the point where I just started it a few hours ago, and devoured it.

First of all, it's my favorite kind of romance, featuring a broken character and someone strong enough to break down their walls. The fact that that someone strong enough is a NHL hockey playing super gorgeous nice guy is just icing on the cake!!!

(view spoiler)
Downward dog
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this free from Amazon and enjoyed every minute of this story. Lucas is the captain of a professional hockey team in Chicago. He meets Sara when she attends a hockey game. He is immediately taken with her and her beautiful green eyes and he’s also intrigued when she tells him she doesn’t like hockey. He finds it refreshing that she doesn’t care that he is a celebrity and isn’t interested in him because he is a hockey star.
Sara is an attorney and hiding out from life after a traumatic e
Alexis
Nov 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abuse, romance, athletic
This is the description from amazon ... "Sara Smith, a hard working lawyer, thought she found her true love, but unfortunately, she found out she was mistaken. Now she goes home at night and isolates herself from the world. Until one day her best friend convinces her to go to a hockey game. Lucas Sharp, the Captain of the Chicago Eagles, has focused on one thing ... winning the Cup. It was not until a meet and greet after the game that he saw Sara and his thoughts started to change. After going ...more
Kasey
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Deanna
I am a huge fan of books with sports in them.

(Which is odd since I hate sports in real life.)

So I HAD to read this book. I mean, it has hockey in it! I could read romance books with hockey in them all day long. There's just something about that sport that makes men so...delicious!

I'm not ashamed to admit that I read this book in one sitting (or laying in bed if you prefer that I use my words literally). I thought it was a wonderful, quick, and fun read. I enjoyed all the characters and there wer
Chelsea
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a good read. It's funny, and cute. It moves a little fast at times but not overly rushed. I loved how adorable Lucas was. He was so cute when he was nervous. Sarah was kinda annoying, to use her term she was like "an emotional yo-yo". Always back and forth, yes then no. Talk about whiplash, but I can understand where her fears came from.
The grammar in this was horrible. Normally I can ignore a few errors here and there but this many is enough to make me cringe. This is the main cause f
Jean Haus
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was nice contemporary romance debut—I think—that incorporated hockey. I'm not a hockey fan—don't hate it or anything—but the hockey aspect was woven in without bogging the story down. Sara’s past made her a sympathetic character, but Lucas was very mature and patient while dealing with her past. Some parts of the plot were a bit predictable—this doesn’t bother me as a reader—however, I expected a different scenario that went down with the ex at the end, and was pleasantly surprised how the ...more
Lee
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This could have been a 3 star book for me if the dialogue wasn't so stilted. All the characters spoke so formally, they didn't use common contractions such as I'm or I'll. For me, it made the conversations feel unreal and odd. The story itself is ok although I found Rachel to be aggravating in her over the top pushiness towards Sara. Lucas wasn't a strong hero in my opinion; he was too soft for my liking. While this was an okay, fast read it did not leave me wanting to read the rest of the serie ...more
Michael Burhans
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Much to my surprise mary Smith has written a book that contains hockey! LOL This was a fun and romantic read. A little hint of darkness gives the story some spice, but nothing that would make you cringe to have your teen read it.

Well formed characters and a plot that is realistic place this above many sports/celebrity romances. I've already started the 2nd book in the trilogy, and purchased the third!
Lisa
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The was a good start to the series! Lucas Sharpe (swoon), hockey captain, sees Sara at a meet and greet and is instantly captivated. He makes sure he sees her again and sparks do fly. However, Sara holds on to a huge tragic secret and is reluctant to open up to Lucas. Loved Lucas...close to his family, not a player, proven leader, great lover, etc... Can't wait for the next in this series.
Leenkie
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had no expectations going into this book. It was free on Kindle and I needed something to read. From the get-go I liked it. Sara is emotionally damaged but has a good friend in Rachel. Together they head to a hockey game where they meet Lucas. What I like is it's not just about Sara and Lucas but the friends and family around them as well. Yes, there are grammatical errors but I've had way worse. This is a nice story.
Izzie d
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the reasons i like this book is because neither of the main characters are sleeping around. The heroine has had a traumatic experience in the past that keeps her insular and the hero is very busy with his career so he is not chasing girls.
They are really sweet together. The book has mentioned other members of the hockey team and her work colleagues so i assume this has set the scene for other books.
Kimberly K
cute little read. Much better than I was expecting. It actually had depth and the characters were fairly well-developed for the most part. The author seems like a young writer though. She does a lot of showing and telling when just the showing would have been sufficient.

Overall, a cute read for those of the chick-lit loving genre.
Kai Liam
Nov 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
The constant stiff grammer made me want to shoot myself. When you write books you dont make every word seperate because it has no flow so "it is" should have been "its" and "would not" should have been "wouldnt" Within 5 chapters you ONLY see the seperate words and it just gets hard to read. sorry DNF at chap 5

• Let's Be Crazy
  • Finding Carson Lee (Oh Captain, My Captain #3)
  • Their New Beginning (Oh Captain, My Captain, #5)
  • Tainted (Oh Captain, My Captain, #7)
  • Sunrise on Half Moon Bay
  • The Book of Lost Friends
  • The Child of Auschwitz
  • Fractured (Will Trent, #2)
  • Triptych (Will Trent, #1)
  • The German Midwife
  • Romero (The Moreno Brothers, #4)
  • Tennessee Waltz (Homespun Hearts #1)
  • License to Date (Better Date than Never, #6)
  • Not His Type (Opposites Attract, #1)
  • Push the Envelope (Blythe College, #1)
  • Essentialism: Bridgette & Troy's Story (Life. Destiny. Fate., #3)
  • Nanny Behaving Badly
  • Texas Outlaw (Wild Texas Nights, #1)
Best Selling Author, Mary Smith, has been coming up with stories her whole life. She has written A HOCKEY TUTOR, THE NEW HAMPSHIRE BEARS SERIES, as well as co-authored THE PENALTY KILL TRILOGY, OH CAPTAIN, MY CAPTAIN SERIES and THE NINTH INNING SERIES. When not busy writing or rooting for the Chicago Blackhawks you can find her with her nose stuck in her Kindle.
You can visit her website at: www.au

The Ice (3 books)
  • Breaking the Ice (The Ice series)
  • Shattering the Ice (The Ice Series #3)