Start by marking “Prayer for the Dead” as Want to Read:
Prayer for the Dead

Prayer for the Dead

(Revenants in Purgatory #1)

The story about a girl who lived, died, and met a guy…in that order.

Is it possible to find true love while condemned to purgatory until the end of days? Olivia Brennan isn't looking to find out. Her afterlife is nothing special — her days spent working for a division of Purgatory and Associates, her nights usually occupied with reruns or a good book.

Everything changes wh
Published September 30th 2013 by CreateSpace (first published September 29th 2013)

Jessica
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The only thing I am going to say right now is OMG and no fucking way to the ending . I just cant stop thinking about it, it may take me days to recover!!!

Prayer for the dead by: Nicki Scalise 5 stars

I have totally just now finished the book, like just now, and I thought I would write about my frustrations let’s see if that is a good idea shall we. I absofuckinglutly loved this book like it was in my hand until the bitter end. YES THE BITTER END!!! I almost do not want to give it 5 stars because
R.M. Gilmore
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First book, in a long line this year, to keep me up all night. Ms. Scalise has her work cut out for her for book two - expectations are high in this corner. Prayer for the Dead pulled me into a whole new world (Disney orchestra backing and all) not often visited in recent literature. While the world at large is focused on vamps and zombies PftD opens our sleep encrusted eyes to the drama of the underworld. Purgatory to be exact. Well, that and more.

The 'love' story vein that wound itself through
Kristy Hamilton
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received Prayer for the Dead from the author for an honest review, I am going to give you an honest review.
Prayer for the Dead was my favorite type of romance. I love one with with a scorned ex lover. Its amazing how much imagination that a writer can come up with on the scorned lover and how much revenge they can get back on the ex and the new lover. But this one had a twist...everyone is dead.
Olivia is still holding onto a lot of guilt from her involvement that led to the death of her brothe
Marta
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, you should all read it now! I couldn't put it down, it's a wonderful love story with a difference. I really enjoyed this book and can't wait for the next one to see what comes next. I'm putting this author up there with the best of them. Well done for a first novel and thank you. :)
Book Gossips - Nicole
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
HAVE YOU SAID YOUR PRAYERS?

Congratulations to Nicki Scalise for delivering a fresh and innovative paranormal romance filled with humor, suspense, love, loss and friendship. What an incredible effort for her debut novel!

Olivia Brennan, the protagonist in Prayer for the Dead, is a “Revenant”, struggling with the darkness of guilt, pain and grief resulting from her decisions and actions when she was alive. Revenants are souls who, for all intents and purposes, are dead but they walk the middle plan
Novel Grounds
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it

Prayerforthedead

4 Stars|Amazon|Goodreads

Meg's Review:
So this novel was a little out of my comfort zone reading wise. I am a big paranormal fan, but tend to stay away from anything remotely religious. How glad I am that I decided to read this novel. It was GREAT! It had some religious aspects to it, but in the end it was a romance at heart, as well as a mystery.

I loved the characters in this story as well. Some points in it, it was hard to remember where they were living and what the circumstances were. I got
Shenanigans
More reviews and book-related shenanigans can be found on my blog,
Musings Of An Aspiring Author.

Wow. For starters, let me just say that I started this book thinking it was an Urban Fantasy and there would be action, a badass antagonist and the occasional love scene. What I got was almost the exact opposite. But I was SO okay with that. More than okay, actually.

That's not to say that this wasn't chock full of win at every turn of the page. It was. But this was a love story through and through. I
Obsession Is A Book - Terrie
(ARC received from Literati Author Services in exchange for an honest review)

This book started off quite slow for me and left me wondering if and when it was going to get started. I was a bit concerned that I wasn’t going to be able to finish the book at one stage. However, a few chapters in and that all changed when the book then came into its own and I went from possibly not being able to finish the book to not being able to put it down!

Nicki did a fantastic job of pulling me in and keeping me
Jessica
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Isn't this cover gorgeous?

Truly, I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened Prayer for the Dead. The prospect of getting a glimpse into the afterlife was enough to catch my attention. The fact that Olivia and I seemed to be kindred spirits and the addition of a hot, brooding guy were just icing on the cake. What I didn't expect was to be so lost in Olivia's story that I was unable to tear my eyes from the page. What a perfectly wonderful surprise.

Olivia stole my heart from the moment I met her.
Shayna
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guest-review
Guest Review by Monica from Shayna Renee's Spicy Reads

I received this copy of the novel in exchange for an honest review. I do not normally read Paranormal Romance stories but I decided to give this one a go. Meet the heroine Miss Olivia working in a dead-end job just going about her life or in her case her after life, if you can really call it such. She was responsible for the death of her brother, who incidentally is in the afterlife with her and for this reason she is carrying around a lot of
OrchardBookClub
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
When you die where do you go? Heaven if you’re good? Hell if you’re bad? What happens when you don’t go anywhere? Does it mean you were neither good or bad? Well, it turns out you end up working your ass of in purgatory, day in day out until the end of forever!
And this is the “life” Olivia Brennan ends up “living” To live eternity in purgatory with her brother and two best friends. That is until Drake walks into her life, turns it on it’s head and then leaves. Who would have thought it was possi
Autumn
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I received this book to give an honest review.

I enjoyed the story line a lot. You are thrown into the world of Purgatory but it isn't like you would think it to be. The people who are there have jobs, live pretty much like people who are alive. Now I would call this paranormal but it doesn't have the vampires, werewolves and so on. It has normal people and of course Reapers which I think is pretty damn cool.
There is a bit of romance within the story but it isn't all gooey I love you, lets have
Nicky Peacock
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Prayer for the Dead is a really funny read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It certainly isn’t your normal urban fantasy/ paranormal romance book though, and the action is a bit few and far between – it actually reads more like a supernatural Bridget Jones.

The characters were great and the back story of how the Reaper world worked was brilliant – a great idea that souls only move on when they get enough prayers.

It kind of reminded me of the Mary-Janice Davidson Undead series – before it got onto like t
Amy Bartley
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What do you do when you are stuck in purgatory? Well, you work, party with friends, fall in love, as if you were still alive. Olivia is dealing with her time in purgatory, going through the motions. Reluctantly Olivia goes clubbing with her best friend Portia. In walks Drake, a very attractive man. Olivia assumes Drake will be interested in Portia, happily he approaches her. After a steamy one night stand, olivia is angry and embarrassed. After several chance encounters, Drake is forgiven and th ...more
Mary Myers-Huff Barscz
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in a single night. I really couldn't put it down, and at a few points I had to slap my hand over my mouth so that I didn't wake my sleeping husband! The humor that comes through in the telling of Revenants and Reapers was not expected by me at all.
Olivia is a Revenant, working her job in Purgatory(Can't tell you why she is there, that'd spoil things). But on the up side she has her brother Tore with her as well as two best friends, what else could a dead girl want?
After a night
Carmski Pescod
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG!! That was one fantastic first novel that I've ever read, Congrats to Nicki Scalise on a wicked book. Heaven? Hell? In between? What is there out there? What happens when you die & everyone prays for you? But what happens when there is no one to pray for you? This is a story about the other side, this is one extraordinary story.
I'm not going to tell you what happened! I can't you have to read the blurb ok. The author is a very clever writer, you get to see & feel everything the char
☆Joycedale☆
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This was a really funny story. Olivia is hilarious
"I kept repeating the office mantra to myself. Keep calm and f**k off... Wait, that isn't right. Maybe I picked that one up from an online meme."
"Since there's never a sense of accomplishment, I was ready to give up, light a bonfire, and dance around in naked victory. Fortunately for the fire department and my fellow employees, that plan for interrupted."
"With all the grace of a monkey making love to a football, I rolled my ankle and lost my bala
Ashley Poteet
AMAZING!

well, I actually accidentally read the second book before this one, so it was sort of a prequel for me. But besides that, I believe this book and series is the best Reaper story I've ever fallen into. I love how the characters are very well described and the plot is just amazing.

Olivia is a great character , her story is sad, but her life has all the action, love and saddened a great story should have.

Drake, a mysterious, but amazingly handsome man she meets one night when she goes out
Jim
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to come up with some superlative that would do this novel justice, but no single word suffices. I really enjoyed this story; it was great fun to read. The imagination that was poured into this story is incredible. The humor is spectacular. It is a tale that is both light-hearted and funny, and yet intensely serious.

The characters are amazing. They are like your best friend, your brother, the person sitting next to you at the bar on Friday night, your office mate, or your boss. They are
Kay Callahan
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Monday, 13 October 2014

Prayer for the dead

I won a copy of this book as part of a giveaway and must say I'm very happy that I did. The world that Nicki Scalise has created is brilliant and so too are the characters and plot. Very much looking forward to the next instalment. I have to say that Olivia doesnt seem to have much luck in the love department and cant help but feel I would of made the same choice in the end that she did.
I love the sound of her brother Tore and best mate Devon not to ment
Angie Hackett
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took a chance on this book after searching through Amazon using the search term 'reapers'. I wasn't disappointed.

I'm so glad I took a chance on this author and this book. It was a great idea, a sound plot and well written to boot. I really liked Olivia and Devon the best but the other characters were solid and well fleshed out. The humour was really good and the story even managed to get emotional in just the right way. There was just enough information to fill back stories without becoming an
Tonya
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and can't wait for the next!! I took it to bed with me, intending to just finish the current chapter...Yea, that didn't happen. I couldn't stop there. I finished the rest of the book, 2 hours later and was left wanting more!! It's been awhile since I've had such a great book hangover. I wanted the story to keep going. Now I have to wait, patiently as I can, for the next one.
Sharon
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wonderful debut novel. A fresh, innovative take on PNR. Quite light on the paranormal element, so don't be put off if paranormal isn't your thing. Intense, believable interpersonal relationships and twists and turns that keep you turning the pages. I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about the world Nicki is building and how the dead walk amongst us without us being any the wiser :-) I'm sure we'll see great things from Nicki in the future.
Andrea
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I definitely enjoyed this book and I pretty much read the whole thing in one sitting. It was an interesting take on purgatory and a different paranormal spin than I've seen before. I thought the main character was relatable, yet interesting, and the banter between the characters made me laugh. I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Lindsey Lawson
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ok, the only reason this book got four instead of five stars is because I HATE CLIFF HANGERS!!! This book did not end the way I wanted it to. I know, it's not my book and it's the first one in a series but I really wanted it to end differently, even if it ended up a cliff hanger. And it made me cry. WHY?!??!?!
Tabitha Wilson
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my! I honestly didn't know what to expect when I started this book. It's a little bit different than what I'm used to but it's SOOOOOO good! There are twists and turns and flips that you won't see coming and even after you read it, you will look back to make sure you read it right. I can't wait to start on the next book!
Liz Upton
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book.I am a fan of paranormal books, but this blew all my expectations out of the water. It was written really well, and the dialogue was often very witty. I laughed at moments and felt like kicking ass in others. One thing is certain, I found myself quickly addicted to the characters, Drake and Olivia. This is easily a four star read!
Colleen Everly
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a paranormal romance/urban fantasy set in another dimension where souls go that haven't moved on aka purgatory.
I want to start off with saying this is the first story of this kind I've read, usually I read about angels and demons not revenants and reapers, that being said it was refreshing and awesome. I floved this book and I can't wait to read the next one.
Stacy
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an emotional roller coaster!

Olivia is a Revenant living with the guilt of a bad decision. Drake is a Reaper with his own tragic story. Can these two souls find a way to learn to live and let go of the past?
Maari
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a debut! Laugh out loud funny!!
This book had me from the start! What a different perspective Ms. Scalise gave me, very original, yet so believable! What a great beginning to a new series by a debut author!! What an ending! On to book 2! :)
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Mermaid's Bond (A Demon Paradise Novel, #2)
  • BloodGifted (The Dantonville Legacy #1)
  • The Scene (Dylan Hart #1)
  • Muse
  • Scattered Ashes (Ashes to Ashes, #1)
  • Broom with a View
  • Savior (Keepers of Hell, #1)
  • Darkness Watching (Darkworld, #1)
  • A Perfect Holiday
  • Blood Ties
  • Strange Powers, Stranger Places
  • Darkness Undone (Marked Souls, #4)
  • Damned if I Do (The Harker Trilogy #1)
  • Hunted Holiday (Bureau of Paranormal Investigation, #1)
  • Pentimento
  • Pandora's Box (The Road to Hell #1)
  • Claiming What's His (What's His, #1)
  • Beautiful Chase (The Bounty Hunters – The Marino Bros., #2)
Nicki Scalise lives in the foothills of northern Colorado with her husband, four dogs, and a chinchilla. With so many furry, tail-wagging monsters running wild, the house is generally in varied states of chaos. If ever they give her a break, she spends her free time imagining new worlds, watching Firefly for the millionth time, or counting down the days until the next Comic Con.

Revenants in Purgatory (4 books)
  • Despite Serendipity
  • Mourning Inamorata (Revenants in Purgatory Book 3)
  • Aeonian Kiss