Start by marking “The Prime Minister's Secret Agent (Maggie Hope Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Prime Minister's Secret Agent (Maggie Hope Mystery, #4)

The Prime Minister's Secret Agent

(Maggie Hope #4)

For fans of Jacqueline Winspear, Charles Todd, and Anne Perry, The Prime Minister's Secret Agent is a gripping new mystery featuring intrepid spy and code breaker Maggie Hope. And this time, the fallout of a deadly plot comes straight to her own front door.

World War II rages on across Europe, but Maggie Hope has finally found a moment of rest on the pastoral coast of wes
Audio
Published July 1st 2014 by Random House Audio (first published June 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Prime Minister's Secret Agent, please sign up.
Mary Clare Churchill says 'But he's welcome to stay at Numbet Ten for the duration."
I love that I'm not the only one who cared about what happened to K.…more
Churchill says 'But he's welcome to stay at Numbet Ten for the duration."
I love that I'm not the only one who cared about what happened to K.(less)
Jonathan Yes, they ought to be read in order. An individual title would still be enjoyable, and the dynamics between the primary characters would be clear enou…moreYes, they ought to be read in order. An individual title would still be enjoyable, and the dynamics between the primary characters would be clear enough, but by book 5 her familial relationships are such that you need to have read the earlier ones. (less)

Start your review of The Prime Minister's Secret Agent (Maggie Hope Mystery, #4)
Julie
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Prime Minister’s Secret Agent by Susan Elia MacNeal is a 2014 Bantam publication.

Another thrilling adventure for Maggie Hope!

I was a little hard on Maggie in the last chapter of this series, but upon further reflection, I think, in reality, Maggie’s character would have gone through some transformations considering all that had transpired, but I did miss the old Maggie, and hoped she would get her mojo back soon.

This fourth installment finds Maggie coaching at the spy training camp in Scot
Cameran
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-reads
2.5 out of 5 stars.

Because it is impossible to go into The Prime Minister’s Secret Agent without high expectations after the way book three ended, I would like to advise readers to curb their enthusiasm. Book number four of this series had problems, and I think a great deal of the disappointment I received from it can be blamed on the way it was designed.

After the trouble she faced in Berlin I had been eagerly anticipating my return to Maggie. I knew she was damaged after her experiences and cho
AH
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Initial Thoughts: What an interesting read - I really had difficulty putting the book down. This is the first time I've read anything by Susan Elia MacNeal and it certainly won't be my last. I loved the backdrop of WWII to the story of Maggie Hope, a spy and trainer in the SOE. Maggie is a capable agent, haunted by the events of the previous books (which I must find and read) and I loved reading about her.

The Review:
Funny, a few days after I read this book, I watched an episode of The Bletchley
Jaylia3
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Whenever I get a new Maggie Hope book everything else in my life drops by the wayside while I turn my back on the world to read. The series is moving slowly through the WWII years, this is the fourth book and it’s just getting to Pearl Harbor, but that is no criticism because the details of the changing circumstances and moods of the time are fascinating, and the story plots within the books race along.

With her determined personality and a knack for codes, languages, and mathematics Maggie has
Kimberly
This was the second novel set during WWII that I finished in as many days. This story focussed on three distinct plots: Maggie's recovery from her ordeal in Berlin and her subsequent investigation when her good friend and two of her colleagues fall mysteriously ill; the incarceration of Maggie's mother and the psychological examination that follows; and the disintegration of diplomatic relations between the US and Japan, with the result being that Japan eventually attacked Pearl Harbor.

I found a
Hilary
I've yet to be disappointed with this series. Each time I pick up one of the books I'm compelled to finish as quickly as possible, and as with the previous books, there's no glorifying war or the spy trade here. Killing, or being responsible for deaths, is *hard* and the debates as to what is "necessary" can be endless. Even those with training or years of experience will suffer repercussions. But that doesn't make for a serious book, or one which is hard to read. On the contrary, these difficul ...more
Carolyn
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YAY! Our girl, Maggie, is back on track. I do see, now, why things evolved the way they did in the previous book and what brought our girl to this point. I also understand much better why she had to go through what she did. Patience, grasshopper. It all makes sense now. Onto the next book in this excellent series, "Mrs. Roosevelt's Confidant."
Sharon
In this fourth entry in the Maggie Hope mystery series, we find cryptoanalyst Maggie at Arisaig House, in Scotland, working as a trainer for her fellow agents. She is suffering from what we now recognize as PTSD as a result of her time in Berlin (ref. "His Majesty's Hope," the previous novel). Her early-morning wanderings provide the first clue about what's happening around her when she sees a dead sheep covered in unusual blisters in the loch; not all is normal in the Highlands.

In the mean whil
Sue
The Prime Minister's Secret Agent is the fourth in a series. (I have not read the earlier books.) Maggie Hope is a secret agent for the British government and in this installment she has returned to British soil after extremely difficult assignments in Europe. She is damaged and hardly knows what to do with herself. Small bits of what happened are revealed, enough to allow entry into this episode, but so much is unsaid.

This entry is a tantalizing mix of historical fiction and fact as Britain con
Karen ⊰✿
Another good addition to the series. There wasn't a whole lot of action, this was more one of those series books that is necessary to start to bring plot lines together and set up the next books, but it was still enjoyable.
I did especially enjoy the take on historical events surrounding Pearl Harbour which chose to explore some conspiracy theories (such as Churchill being aware of the impending attack but not telling the Americans as he needed them in the war).
Jane
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, historical
Maggie Hope is back. After the terrible events of her last mission in Berlin, she's spending time as an instructor at a training facility in Scotland. She's suffering from depression and PTSD and is basically going through the motions. In the meantime, the day of the Pearl Harbor attack is approaching and the ramp up in the espionage efforts of everyone, British, American and Japanese is on full display.

After the heavy action Maggie faced in the last book in this WWII spy series, I was ready fo
Wendi (BrokenBinding)
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would have loved to give The Prime Minister's Secret Agent 4 stars, or even 3.5, but I can't. The biggest fault in the story doesn't lie in the plot, the writing, the world building but in the formatting. Usually I would be able to overlook such a thing and enjoy the story for itself...errors are negligible when the story shines brightly enough to overcome them. Unfortunately this is not the case here. Viewpoints, locations, and story arcs are changed frequently in this story, and while I woul ...more
Stacey
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Maggie Hope continues to be one of my favorite literary characters and I thoroughly enjoyed this installment of the series. I do think this would be better classified as a thriller/suspense type of book as the mystery piece of the novel usually isn't the sole aspect of the novel. While events transpired in London, the backdrop of this novel had to do with the events leading up to and the attack on Pearl Harbor. Susan Elia MacNeal does a great job of creating an enjoyable, somewhat lighter read t ...more
Judy
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
It has been so long since I read the first three books in this series that it was helpful the author recaps the highlights that occurred in Maggie Hope's career as an agent for England during WWII. Maggie is an American but moves to England and receives her aunts home and decides to stay because the war has begun. This book seemed to move slower for me, though there were parts that kept my interest. It's not a bad series, but doesn't begin to measure up to jacquline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs serie ...more
Christina Bauer
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been honored to receive draft copies of Susan's books, and The Prime Minster's Secret Agent will be a stellar addition to the Maggie Hope series! WOW this is the most pulse-pounding installment yet, complete with swoon-worthy romance and all-over awesomeness! Release date set for July 1st...
Mahoghani 23
Maggie Hope is miserable. She's still in shock from her last escapade in Berlin where she found her first love, found out that she has a half-sister and came face-to-face with the woman who gave birth to her, Clara Hess. She's no good to her employer and seeks to kill herself when something happens to one of her closest friends and she's determined to save her life. At the same time, the Japanese has bombed Pearl Harbor.

The author chooses to write about war fiction with the expertise of someone
Soo
Aug 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:

Low end of 3 Stars
- Narration by SD does not fit an American raised Brit or other accents.
- The "reasoning" for Maggie's mother's situation. Badly done.
- Churchill blowing bubbles in the bathtub. I'm sure it was suppose to be a tongue in cheek moment in a serious mini-scene but that's just another example how Churchill comes across as a dumb/unintelligent person in this series.
Anne
I haven't read the previous books in this series and this book doesn't work all that well as a stand-alone. I was kind of frustrated by it. It seems more like a coda to the previous book; too much time is spent resolving previous matters. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the historical setting and some of the characters. The author is good at conveying the sense of living in a time of desperation, when no one knew how things were going to turn out. I liked the set-up with Maggie teaching at the spy school ...more
Jennifer Kincheloe
This was my first Maggie Hope mystery, and, oh my stars! I can't wait to read the next one. Maggie is a believable, tough, capable spy.

Well done Susan Elia MacNeal!
Charlie Smith
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do I love Susan Elia MacNeal's Maggie Hope series? Let me count the ways.

1) The quality of the writing is top-notch. Not just the prose, which is intelligent and interesting and smooth like a deliciously aged, perfected glass of wine, but also the plotting which is intricate and grounded in logic and possibility and there are never any of those last minute surprise solutions which come from nowhere to neatly tie up a complicated plot.

2) The characters! I love how the people in this series, M
Marcie
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From Scotland to London to Washington to Pearl Harbor - the world is on the brink of America's entrance into WWII. While MacNeal is known for her exacting research, she is the first to say that the conversations and characters are fictional. However, as my family moved to Oahu less than ten years after Pearl was bombed, I can say that much of her storyline is based in fact. I grew up seeing the oil which leaked to the surface above the USS Arizona - long before a memorial was built there. And PM ...more
Amanda
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series is AMAZING! It follows a female British spy through some difficult scenarios through out the series. This books picks up months after a mission in Berlin that has Maggie trying to figure out who she is and wishing she could forget or undo what happened. She is an instructor in Scotland and her friend comes in contact with antrax. Maggie is there to help work the case and heal internally and mentally.
Bibliothekerin
My #1 disappointment with this book was its brevity. There is little plot development or character development; MacNeal flits from one locale to the next, offering only teasers. I hope she isn't heading down the path that so many authors are these days, cranking out shorter and shorter works, calling them "novellas" but which are, increasingly, short enough to be deemed short stories. This book is, in my opinion, just filler between Books #3 and #5, a huge disappointment after her last. I hope n ...more
Paul Manytravels
The Prime Minister's Secret Agent is the 4th in a series of books. It does stand alone but on wobbly feet. Clearly, the books of the series which preceded it would have made this one more lucid--the references to them permeated this one--and this book itself seemed only to be a gateway to the next book of the series. The primary characters of the series served only minor roles in this particular volume.
The central character, Maggie Hope, serves as a secret agent to England during WW II; her moth
Linda
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was no doubt the best of the Maggie Hope series so far. Maggie is taking a break from her usual assignments and is teaching at a spy training school in Scotland. The time is designed to allow Maggie time to recuperate from her last assignment and recharge. But on a weekend trip to Glasgow she gets involved in the investigation of the sudden death of a ballerina followed by two others associated with the ballet company who fall ill. Throughout the book there is a second plot brewing, the lea ...more
Raoul Jerome
Good read, good story. Each of these in the series is fine as a stand alone, but I think it's better to read them in sequence. It's almost as if I get to the end of the last chapter in one, and it's an instant blend into chapter one in the next. --So each subsequent book in the series is just like the next chapter in a series. Anyway, I've now gotten familiar with all the main characters in the series except for the new ones introduced in each supplement, and I'm very comfortable with that. Thes ...more
Susan
Actual rating 2.5 stars

This is not the best book in the series as it suffers from too many plot lines. I guessed who committed the crime involving Sarah well before the person was revealed. The plot lines out Pearl Harbor seemed more like reporting events and in the end, it was used to set up the next book in the series. I’ll keep reading the series as Maggie showed some growth in this book.
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: completed, 2018
This wasn't nearly as good as the others in the series have been... I'm going to peg it as having to try to draw together two very different plot lines (the Pacific phase of the war seemingly feeling like it's coming out of thin air). Meh, hopefully it's a means to an end and things get back into their pace in the next novel.
Deacon Tom F
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing Story

Good One This book is another in the series. Although I must admit this was not as good as the other ones that I’ve read mainly because the author frayed the story between multiple characters and sometimes lost the rhythm of the suspenseful story.
Angela
Jun 05, 2017 added it
I adore this wonderfully historical mystery series. I cannot find fault in any aspect of the books. The characters both fictional and factual are so alive and believable.

• Journey to Munich (Maisie Dobbs, #12)
  • The American Agent (Maisie Dobbs, #15)
  • A Dangerous Place (Maisie Dobbs, #11)
  • A Lesson in Secrets (Maisie Dobbs, #8)
  • Messenger of Truth (Maisie Dobbs, #4)
  • The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs, #7)
  • Elegy for Eddie (Maisie Dobbs, #9)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs, #10)
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
  • An Incomplete Revenge (Maisie Dobbs, #5)
  • In This Grave Hour (Maisie Dobbs, #13)
  • Pardonable Lies (Maisie Dobbs, #3)
  • Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, #2)
  • This Side of Murder (Verity Kent, #1)
  • To Die But Once (Maisie Dobbs, #14)
  • her majesty's hope
  • Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1)
  • The Last Mrs. Summers (Her Royal Spyness, #14)
Susan Elia MacNeal is the author of The New York Times, Washington Post, Publishers Weekly and USA Today-bestselling Maggie Hope mystery series, starting with the Edgar Award-nominated and Barry Award-winning MR. CHURCHILL'S SECRETARY, which is now in its 23nd printing. THE KING'S JUSTICE is coming out on February 25, 2020 and she is working on the next book in the series, THE HOLLYWOOD SPY.

Her bo

Maggie Hope (9 books)
  • Mr. Churchill's Secretary (Maggie Hope Mystery, #1)
  • Princess Elizabeth's Spy (Maggie Hope Mystery, #2)
  • His Majesty's Hope (Maggie Hope Mystery, #3)
  • Mrs. Roosevelt’s Confidante (Maggie Hope Mystery, #5)
  • The Queen's Accomplice (Maggie Hope Mystery #6)
  • The Paris Spy (Maggie Hope, #7)
  • The Prisoner in the Castle (Maggie Hope, #8)
  • The King's Justice