Start by marking “Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize

Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize (Nate the Great #8)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  313 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
These chapter books introduce beginning readers to the detective mystery genre. Perfect for the Common Core, kids can problem-solve with Nate, using logical thinking to solve mysteries!

Nate the Great is about to enter his dog, Sludge, in the smartest pet contest. But when the prize disappears, it looks as if the contest will flop.

It's a tough case for Nate and Sludge as t
Published September 25th 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published February 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize

Alexander
I enjoyed this book because I like prizes. I did not like this book because I do not like it when cats lick prizes.
Dolly
Dec 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our girls love the Nate the Great series, especially my youngest. The stories aren't too long; we can read the whole book at one time. They are pretty silly, but fun and demonstrate common sense thinking.

We love the common themes throughout the series; Nate's love for pancakes, his weird friends and their weird pets, and his great detective dog, Sludge.
Karen James
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The mystery book I have read is Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize. This book is about Nate who is a detective that solve important cases. In this particular case, Nate the Great is entering his dog Sludge in the Smartest Pet Contest. Nate received a call from Rosamond because she was not able to find the prize she was making for the Smartest Pet Contest. Nate is to find out what has happen to the empty tuna fish can which had the word Smartest in gold letters for the Smartest Pet Contest. Nate ...more
Amelia
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nate The Great books are great beginning reader chapter books. This book was full of adventure and was easy to follow. Nate and his dog Sludge are getting ready for a contest. He signs up with Rosamond and she alerts him that her tuna fish can is missing! This was her winning trophy. Nate helps hunt down the tuna can with his super sleuth skills. Sludge and Nate win the can because of their great detective skills. The lesson that can be learned through this book is doing helpful things for other ...more
Michelle. D.
Sep 04, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: was-awful
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Loyal
Nate the Great is on the case! The competition for smartest pet is today, and Nate is entering Sludge. But just an hour before the start, he receives a call from Rosamund- The prize for first place, a tuna fish can with 'Smartest' written in gold paint, has gone missing! Nate doesn't even have time to unpack his grocery bag of dog shampoo and pancake ingredients. What could have happened to the can? How will Nate solve the mystery in only an hour?
Such a fun series to revisit, one of my favorites
Lisa Cohn
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael, age 5, loves Nate the Great books. He likes this book because, as he says, it's a boy-and-dog mystery, and it's funny! Also, he likes the fact that dog Sludge finds the clues and that Nate and Sludge are afraid of dog Fang. Watch his review here, and prepare yourself for some great detail--and silliness:
Lia
Easy to read beginners book #5

This book was about a boy named Nate and his dog named Sludge. There was a Smartest Pet contest and the prize was a empty tuna can. The can got lost in a lot of commotion with pets and their owners and Nate and Sludge were brought to the rescue. Sludge ended up solving the case and therefore winning the smartest pets contest.
Erin Lee Arvin
Sep 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
The stories are becoming recycled versions of each other, all containing tuna fish cans and pancakes. Also, I was appalled at the "game" at the end of the book. Throw a towel over your dog's head and count how long it takes it to get free? This is cruel and just asking for a child to be bitten.
Elizabeth
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-the-kids
My three-year-old daughter really loves when I read Nate the Great. She picks up on quite a few of the details. These aren't my favorite books for kids, but they are great as they see Nate use common sense and linear thinking. The worst I can say is they're repetitive and for younger children.
Carrie
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story for beginning readers about a boy w/ a dog named Sludge who solves a silly mystery. The second part of the book has interesting facts about a few animals, a the skill test for your dog and some corny animal riddles. Good for ages 5-7
Kaelyn Grant
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for kindergarteners and 1st graders.
Shelley
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one my son asked and asked to own. It's a good one.
Leiera Monae
Children's Reading Adventures Book Club, Summer 2014

*D.E.A.R. Time -- Read with 7 year olds*

07.11.2014
Victorb
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nate the Great was on his bike. Nate smells a fishy clue. pip brot his porot. I Like It.
Eliza
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I thought this book was really good because I like the way Nate the Great didn't see the prize when he walked past it outside. And then he realized that Fang knocked it out with his tail!
Kevin Summers
Nate is on the case of the missing tuna fish can prize.
Angela
I liked how Nate uses commom sense to think things through. This story would be great to introduce linear thinking to younger kids. I do wonder where Nate's parents are though.
Ethan
Jul 17, 2012
Jessica
Mar 30, 2013
  • What a Trip, Amber Brown
  • The Mystery of the Monster Movie (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #8)
  • Franklin's Bad Day
  • Song Lee in Room 2B
  • Tooth Trouble
  • The Lucky Lottery (A to Z Mysteries, #12)
  • Pinky and Rex (Pinky and Rex, #1)
  • The Web Files
  • The Luckiest St. Patrick's Day Ever
  • The Class Election from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon Adventures, No. 3)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Bedtime Thumps (Henry and Mudge, #9)
  • The Cloud Book
  • The Littles and the Great Halloween Scare
  • The Case of the Great Sled Race (Jigsaw Jones, #8)
  • Stop That Hamster! (Ready, Freddy!, #12)
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue