Start by marking “Telling Our Way to the Sea: A Voyage of Discovery in the Sea of Cortez” as Want to Read:
Telling Our Way to the Sea: A Voyage of Discovery in the Sea of Cortez

Telling Our Way to the Sea: A Voyage of Discovery in the Sea of Cortez

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  49 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
WINNER OF THE NATIONAL OUTDOOR BOOK AWARD FOR NATURAL HISTORY LITERATURE
A FINALIST FOR THE WILLIAM SAROYAN INTERNATIONAL PRIZE FOR WRITING
A SEATTLE TIMES BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR

When biologists Aaron Hirsh and Veronica Volny lead twelve college students to a remote fishing village on the Sea of Cortez, they encounter a bay of dazzling beauty and richness. But as the group be
Published August 12th 2014 by Picador (first published August 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Telling Our Way to the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Telling Our Way to the Sea

Katrina
May 26, 2014 Katrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book and would give it 6 stars if I could--it's poetic, thoughtful, educational, sensitive ... and, well, I can't say it better than (or as well as) the book jacket:

By turns epic and intimate, Telling Our Way to the Sea is both a staggering revelation of unraveling ecosystems and a profound meditation on our changing relationship with nature--and with one another.

Here's the lovely first sentence of the book:

A school of needlefish parts to stream around me, and I find mysel
Steve
Jul 26, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy thoughtful, well-written books with beautiful descriptions of nature, then you will love Telling Our Way to the Sea by college professor Aaron Hirsh. Professor Hirsh and two other college professors take students to the Sea of Cortez where an intense biology curriculum is undertaken. While the professors love their work introducing students to the various topics relevant to biological and evolutionary science, the book shines with the author's insightful thoughts on various subjects ...more
Naomi
A splendid journey of many interconnected stories, inviting us to better and deeper understanding of this world of which we are but one part, of how we perceive and create the stories of our lives, and of the interdependence of being, Hirsh educates and inspires his readers. Recommended for spiritual writing groups, and all those concerned with a sense of place or the well-being of our planet.
Mike
Dec 28, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me, this book instantly places Aaron Hirsh in the company of our finest explainers: Gould, McPhee, Medawar -- that company. What Hirsh explains here is how to hold a conversation about our environment. The key, he says, is in the act of telling, and therefore in the act of listening.

His subject is the Sea of Cortez, aka the Gulf of California. Hirsh and his wife, both biologists, along with their science historian colleague, teach a summer college course at a marine station in Baja. The book
Liana
Sep 18, 2014 Liana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having been to the Vermilion Sea Field Station, this book was a one-way ticket back to that special place. It's now part of the cherished few books I own a copy of and have proudly positioned on my bookshelf!
Anders Halverson
Great book. By weaving together threads of social analysis, science, and history, Hirsh has created one of the most thoughtful and beautiful books I have read in a long time.
Leonard
I love this book. It is so inviting-- the characters are all alive, and the place is so rich. I am not a biologist but I felt drawn in to the reflections on evolution. I just didn't want it to end. You'll love it.
Rick Collins
Dec 04, 2014 Rick Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The quintessential book on experiential marine biology
Kirkastroth
Apr 20, 2014 Kirkastroth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding. I loved this book.
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Neethi
Neethi marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Jane Ruddick
Jane Ruddick marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Kankamol
Kankamol marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Carol
Carol added it
Jan 27, 2016
Carol
Carol added it
Jan 27, 2016
Findinglosair
Findinglosair marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Eliana
Eliana marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
MonkeyBusiness
MonkeyBusiness marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Scott Miller
Scott Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Livia Olsen
Livia Olsen marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Hoon
Hoon marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Karin Cope
Karin Cope rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Martina
Martina rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2016
Megan Mcdonald
Megan Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Josh Taylor
Josh Taylor marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Jaron
Jaron marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Antarctica: An Intimate Portrait of the World's Most Mysterious Continent
  • The Great Animal Orchestra: Finding the Origins of Music in the World's Wild Places
  • The Wolverine Way