Start by marking “Telling Our Way to the Sea: A Voyage of Discovery in the Sea of Cortez” as Want to Read:
Telling Our Way to the Sea: A Voyage of Discovery in the Sea of Cortez

Telling Our Way to the Sea: A Voyage of Discovery in the Sea of Cortez

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  9 reviews
WINNER OF THE NATIONAL OUTDOOR BOOK AWARD FOR NATURAL HISTORY LITERATURE
A FINALIST FOR THE WILLIAM SAROYAN INTERNATIONAL PRIZE FOR WRITING
A SEATTLE TIMES BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR

When biologists Aaron Hirsh and Veronica Volny lead twelve college students to a remote fishing village on the Sea of Cortez, they encounter a bay of dazzling beauty and richness. But as the group be
Published August 12th 2014 by Picador (first published August 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Telling Our Way to the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Telling Our Way to the Sea

Katrina
I absolutely love this book and would give it 6 stars if I could--it's poetic, thoughtful, educational, sensitive ... and, well, I can't say it better than (or as well as) the book jacket:

By turns epic and intimate, Telling Our Way to the Sea is both a staggering revelation of unraveling ecosystems and a profound meditation on our changing relationship with nature--and with one another.

Here's the lovely first sentence of the book:

A school of needlefish parts to stream around me, and I find mysel
Steve
If you enjoy thoughtful, well-written books with beautiful descriptions of nature, then you will love Telling Our Way to the Sea by college professor Aaron Hirsh. Professor Hirsh and two other college professors take students to the Sea of Cortez where an intense biology curriculum is undertaken. While the professors love their work introducing students to the various topics relevant to biological and evolutionary science, the book shines with the author's insightful thoughts on various subjects ...more
Naomi
A splendid journey of many interconnected stories, inviting us to better and deeper understanding of this world of which we are but one part, of how we perceive and create the stories of our lives, and of the interdependence of being, Hirsh educates and inspires his readers. Recommended for spiritual writing groups, and all those concerned with a sense of place or the well-being of our planet.
Mike
For me, this book instantly places Aaron Hirsh in the company of our finest explainers: Gould, McPhee, Medawar -- that company. What Hirsh explains here is how to hold a conversation about our environment. The key, he says, is in the act of telling, and therefore in the act of listening.

His subject is the Sea of Cortez, aka the Gulf of California. Hirsh and his wife, both biologists, along with their science historian colleague, teach a summer college course at a marine station in Baja. The book
Liana
Having been to the Vermilion Sea Field Station, this book was a one-way ticket back to that special place. It's now part of the cherished few books I own a copy of and have proudly positioned on my bookshelf!
Anders Halverson
Great book. By weaving together threads of social analysis, science, and history, Hirsh has created one of the most thoughtful and beautiful books I have read in a long time.
Leonard
I love this book. It is so inviting-- the characters are all alive, and the place is so rich. I am not a biologist but I felt drawn in to the reflections on evolution. I just didn't want it to end. You'll love it.
Rick Collins
The quintessential book on experiential marine biology
Kirkastroth
Outstanding. I loved this book.
Liana Agrios
Liana Agrios marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Gayle Grything
Gayle Grything is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2015
Jernegj
Jernegj marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Nicholas Bruce
Nicholas Bruce marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Meredith Miller
Meredith Miller is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2015
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Sammy Holland
Sammy Holland marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Skip
Skip marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Nicole Haley
Nicole Haley is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2015
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Christine Quinlan
Christine Quinlan marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Hunting Antique Bottles in the Marine Environment: The Complete Field Guide for Finding and Identifying Antique Bottles.