Start by marking “The Rise of Aurora West” as Want to Read:
The Rise of Aurora West

The Rise of Aurora West

(Battling Boy #1)

A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

The extraordinary world introduced in Paul Pope's Battling Boy is rife with monsters and short on heroes... but in this action-driven extension of the Battling Boy universe, we see it through a new pair of eyes: Aurora West, daughter of Arcopolis's last great hero, Haggard West.

A prequel to Battling Boy, The Rise of Aurora West follows the young
Published September 30th 2014 by First Second (first published July 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Rise of Aurora West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rise of Aurora West

Pamela
I read Battling Boy almost a year ago, so I admit that the world Pope created in that graphic novel is not as fresh in my mind as I'd like it to be. I do remember enjoying the comic, and now that I think really, really hard, yes, there were monsters in the first one. I think. The Rise of Aurora West is actually a prequel to Battling Boy.

I received an ARC of this from First Second, and it's not inked/colored, and I hope it will be. My main issue was that there was so much going on in each panel (
First Second Books
Oct 01, 2014 marked it as first-second-publications
Girl heroes!

We love them.

(You could probably tell that by the books we publish -- Zita the Spacegirl, Giants Beware, anyone?)

We were delighted when we got the opportunity to tell the story of a girl hero in the universe of Paul Pope's #1 New York Times Best-Seller BATTLING BOY. It's such a good book, and it's reaching so many readers -- how awesome is it that we get to publish a story for them that shows just how cool girls are?

Yay that!
David Schaafsma
A prequel to Battling Boy that everyone but me loved this past year, a YA world of monster fighting and school work. This book is a prequel to Battling Boy and focuses on a girl who has homework and then battles monsters with her legendary Dad Haggard… and in the middle of it all, how did Mom die. Pope did not draw this, David Rubin did, and it feels a little rough, and the small size of this volume makes the big action seen cramped. It's YA. The monsters are kinda eh. Story was co-written by Po ...more
Damon
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I want to see what happens
Mario
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This review originally appeared on my blog, Shared Universe Reviews.

Last year saw the release of Battling Boy by Paul Pope. His longest comics work in years. Perhaps unsurprisingly to many, it was a great read and one of my favourite comics of 2013. The Rise of Aurora West is co-written by J.T. Petty and Paul Pope and it is illustrated by David Rubin. I can’t help but to compare this comic to Pope’s Battling Boy. I apologize for that but only briefly because the comparison has help me to reali
Jessica S
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from the publisher. This did not affect my review in any way, nor am I being compensated for this post.

When Gina, First Second's publicist, emailed to ask me if I would be interested in taking part in this tour, I was thrilled. I love First Second's books, and I've enjoyed interacting with Gina (who is the kindest!). Of course I said yes!

This time around, I wasn't really sure what to expect in terms of the book. I also received a copy of Battling Boy (Aurora W
Heidi
Sep 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Recipe for one kick-ass teenage supergirl:

1 part Hit Girl and Big Daddy
1 part mysterious seven fingered villain
1 part archaeology: Indiana Jones style
1 part Veronica Mars

Best shaken, not stirred.

I don’t mean to imply that The Rise of Auroroa West is derivative–I don’t feel it is–but it had notes of so many other things I love that it made diving in quite enjoyable. Aurora West has a curiosity that just won’t quit when it comes to piecing together the story of her mother’s murder. A symbol and an
All Things Urban Fantasy
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

THE RISE OF AURORA WEST takes familiar superhero tropes and flips them to a new angle, like a Batman story told through Robin’s eyes. Though Aurora’s monster fighting skills are a credit to her training, she’s also the intellectually curious lens through which readers question her world. Where did this war against monsters begin? Where do they come from? And what really happened all those years ago on the night when Aurora’s mother died…

Despite THE RIS
Katy
I felt a disconnect with this book between the story and the art. In terms of graphics, every page had so much going on, that I had to stop my reading to decipher the panels. It didn't help that everything was rendered in black and white, whereas I believe color could have made deciphering easier, especially since this was a small volume and the action was cramped. Also, the graphics were a bit cartoony, which is fine if you are illustrating a story that matches, but while I felt the artwork to ...more
Ketandu
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
For numerous reasons, this graphic novel reminds me immensely of my all time favorite anime: Kill la Kill.
There was action, an awesome smart heroine, a cool cast of characters, interesting and gruesomely ugly antagonists. Overall, a good read.
:D
Derek Royal
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reread in prep for the next installment in the series.
Matthew J.
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This spin-off of 'Battling Boy' is a lot of fun. Aurora West is sort of like a Batgirl type character to the world's monster killing Batman, Haggard West. In this first volume, she begins to mature into her own hero as she looks in to her own possible connection to her mother's death. The world Paul Pope has created is pretty darned odd. Similar to our own, but bent to the arrival of monsters, which infect things like a Gothic plague. I'm definitely going to have to pick up the next part of the ...more
David Schwan
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
The main character is a bit of a super hero in training. The story takes place in a dystopian world where there are monsters that have to be kept under control. Aurora's father is one of the hero's who keeps the situation in check. He takes her on training missions. The monsters seem to have a way to get the upper hand and Aurora and her father must fix the situation. OK graphics, not great, not bad.
Ran
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Hmm, what did I just read? Also, art was not to my tastes. Very loosey-goosey in the lines. I usually like First-Second publications, too. Shame!
Aaron
There were so many things this book could have been but never was. So many accidental pursuits of virtue and so many predilections of self-doubt. THE RISE OF AURORA WEST is a fun and entertaining graphic novel, but it's nowhere close to being as fun or as entertaining as it could have been.

Aurora West, the only child of the eponymous city-hero Haggard West, is coming into her own at age fourteen: she's learning to drive, her schedule is full of school work and martial arts instruction, and her f
Dani Shuping
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
The Rise of Aurora West, Battling Boy
Written by Paul Pope, JT Petty, Illustrated by David Rubín
First Second
September 2014

Acropolis has a nightly curfew, in the attempt to keep kids safe from the monsters who prowl the streets and the dark alleys. They have one hero. Haggard West, a rich scientist, avenging the death of his wife at the hands of one of these foul creatures. Joining him is his teenage daughter, Aurora West. By day she is trained by Ms. Grately in martial arts and by night she prowl
D.M.
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book appeared in our house as part of a care package to our daughter from a friend of ours. She'd ended up with an extra copy of the book and thought our kid might like it. This is the first part of the second segment of Pope's Battling Boy series, but stands alone perfectly well outside of that storyline.
The creators have stated elsewhere that this book (and the Battling Boy series as a whole) was an attempt to make a monster-filled adventure suitable to young readers as well as old. They'
Doc
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This comic deals with monsters, kidnapping, murder, and an all around world where your life can be turned upside down if you are not careful. So be sure to read this comic before dropping this into a younger readers hand to make sure they can handle it.

Life is not always easy when you are the daughter of a famous hero and monster slayer but amid her academic studies and her physical training at home Aurora West is doing her best even as she goes on patrols with her father. However when interroga
Aurora
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
"The Rise of Aurora West" is a superhero graphic novel set in a fantasy city called Acropolis. The city is overrun with monsters that steal people's children. The city's scientist Haggard West decides to use his technology to help the city, and he becomes a hero. When Haggard's wife, Rosetta West, dies, he dedicates his life to protecting others in the city. With the help of his daughter, Aurora West, Haggard defends the city from the monsters. All the while, Aurora tries to solve the mystery of ...more
Diz
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Rise of Aurora West is a prequel story to Paul Pope's Battling Boy. The focus of this story is Aurora West, the daughter of a two-fisted, rocket pack hero. Aurora West works closely with her father as he trains her to be a monster fighting hero, but at the same time, he is emotionally distant. This story explores why Aurora and her father have dedicated their lives to fighting monsters.

I recommend reading this story if you are following the Battling Boy storyline. It provides a lot of motiva
Craig
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of The Rise of Aurora West in a Goodreads giveaway. It's a very nice digest-sized black-and-white graphic novel. Sometimes they're almost unreadable in this format what with the illustrations and dialog-balloons fading into the center binding, but this one works well. My initial impression was that the story suffered because it could not seem to decide if it wanted to be an adult narrative or more of a kiddie-book, but after reflection I decided that duality actually worked pretty w ...more
Elevetha
A father and his daughter, battling monsters and on their way to avenging the death of Aurora's mother. The story was enjoyable, if not terribly original by any means, but I liked the relationship between Aurora and Haggard.

The art is definitely not the worst I've seen. It's mostly not so bad, though there are a fair amount of of cringe-worthy panels. Most notably, the proportions for Aurora as a child were awful and somewhat grotesque. Additionally, Ms. Grately's design is very odd: she's a big
Ignacio
Nov 24, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
La lectura de este tebeo está demasiado condicionada por su publicación en un formato tomo manga. Un tamaño que no hace justicia al trabajo de David Rubín y en el cual resulta del todo imposible disfrutar de los detalles de las imágenes. Después hay aspectos ajenos al formato y que tienen que ver con la propia narrativa, pero que para mi es lo de menos cuando se publica una obra cuyo disfrute está tan mediatizado por una pésima decisión editorial.

Si se repite con la siguiente entrega, conmigo qu
Phoebe
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphicnovels
I found this graphic novel incomprehensible, which perhaps is my usual experience with Paul Pope. Despite this, I keep reading him. His brand of strange, ghoulish, action-y uniqueness is compelling.

However, there's only so much ugly things = bad, pretty things = good that I can stomach without casting my eyes around for something with a little more grey-space.
P.
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
excited to get this for review! wonder if the finished copy will be full color? upon first read through was satisfied by balance of adventure, new story, and possible connections w/ battling boy story.
Shaleh
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked it. Didn't exactly love it or anything. Hence the 4 stars. Interesting art, a little off-putting at times.

Yup. That's it.
Nick Kives
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, and much more than Battling Boy. This one seems to tell much more of a story than Battling Boy did. I still look forward to reading the rest of both series though.
Amanda
needs to be printed on larger paper size
Vi
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
fun.
  • Sumo
  • Fantasy Sports No. 1
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)
  • The Divine
  • Astronaut Academy: Re-entry
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • The Time Museum
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • The Glorkian Warrior Delivers a Pizza
  • Apollo: The Brilliant One (Olympians, #8)
  • Broxo
  • RASL
  • Feathers
  • Bera the One-Headed Troll
  • Templar
  • A Boy and a Girl
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #2)
PAUL POPE is an American cartoonist living and working in New York City. Pope has made a name for himself internationally as an artist and designer. He has been working primarily in comics since the early '90s, but has also done a number of projects with Italian fashion label Diesel Industries and, in the US, with DKNY. His media clients include LucasArts, Paramount Pictures, Cartoon Network, Marv ...more

Battling Boy (3 books)