Start by marking “This One Summer” as Want to Read:
This One Summer

This One Summer

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  46,097 ratings  ·  4,681 reviews
Every summer, Rose goes with her mom and dad to a lake house in Awago Beach. It's their getaway, their refuge. Rosie's friend Windy is always there, too, like the little sister she never had. But this summer is different. Rose's mom and dad won't stop fighting, and when Rose and Windy seek a distraction from the drama, they find themselves with a whole new set of problems. ...more
Published May 6th 2014 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about This One Summer, please sign up.
Sheri Levasseur I think middle graders will decide for themselves whether they are ready for this book of not. There is definitely adult content in it..but through…moreI think middle graders will decide for themselves whether they are ready for this book of not. There is definitely adult content in it..but through the eyes of a young teen, with some innocence.

I think many young teens will identify with and welcome a sense of how other teens see the adult world.

I have seen teens put down books like this, because they weren't ready for this kind of content. I have seen others eat it up because they so badly crave even literal contact with other teen perspectives similar to their own developing understanding of their adult world. This is an important book for that reason and belongs on the shelf of YA collections. Lots of opportunities for discussion with this book. There is no real plot...no real ending..just a summer memoir..that's it. It's enough.(less)
Theresa In addition to what Hana said, you can also keep track of the books that you've read and what you thought of them, which books to want to read, and…moreIn addition to what Hana said, you can also keep track of the books that you've read and what you thought of them, which books to want to read, and which books you own. I find this particularly helpful when I go to the library, pick something up and go, "Wait...I think I might have read this already." But yeah, you can't actually read books straight off the site. Many classics are available to download for free on mobile devices and computers, as well as some self-published e-books. As for popular books and bestsellers, you'll have to hit up your local library or purchase them.(less)

·  46,097 ratings  ·  4,681 reviews

Leigh Bardugo
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I rarely write GR reviews, but I almost didn't pick this up because of some of the reviews I've seen, so I wanted to add my five stars.

This is a quiet book. Much of the action is observed rather than experienced by the protagonists, but the impact it has on them is deeply felt. If you're looking for grand resolutions or "boy did I learn my lesson" closure, you won't find it here. And that's exactly as it should be.

This One Summer beautifully and poignantly captures a particular moment in girlh
Raeleen Lemay
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga
A very low-key, beautiful story with amazing artwork. Also very Canadian.
Lola
There is almost nothing that I would have found enjoyable about this story, if it weren't for the beautiful graphics that brought it to life.

description

Which is weird, because drawings are something I find quite agreeable to look at and, in graphic novels, it’s usually the only thing that I really demand, along with a passable to good plot.

But there was no plot in this.

Rose and her parents, as every summer since a young age, are spending the season at Awago, where there are beaches, fresh air and where she
Hannah Garden
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The huge bummer of the graphic novel is that someone labors for ages over their creation and then you sit down with your pint of Chubby Hubby and make mincemeat of the both of them within the hour. I always feel a little awful about it, and this is probably the kind of thing the French have a word for--the sorrow of beauty’s brevity.
Anyway it’s hard to imagine a [French-word-for-the-sorrow-of-beauty’s-brevity] more hollowing than the end of summer. Those last days of August nearly slaughtered me
Nick
Jul 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Me the whole time:

Steph Sinclair
This One Summer is worth a read for the breathtaking artwork alone. Check it out:

photo IMG_0820_zps4af8707c.jpg

Unfortunately, the story didn’t do much for me. I really liked the idea of a summer of firsts and lessons, but when it was all said and done, I don’t really think the main character learned anything. There’s some slut-shamming done and she never understood why it wasn’t okay to say certain things. Though her friend did correct her a few times, she seemed to just write it off. The book also never felt like it actuall
Nat
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
description

This story follows Rose's yearly summer trip with her mom and dad to a lake house in Awago Beach. It's their getaway, their refuge. Rosie's friend Windy is always there, too, like the little sister she never had. But this summer is different.

This One Summer felt like a great summer read. And even though the plot wasn’t the most exciting, it still kept me flipping page after page. Plus, the friendship and banter between the two main characters added some needed humor to the story.

(Windy’s dance
Heather
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Artwork: 5 stars
Plot: 2 stars

The artwork was STUNNING in this book but that's where my love ends. I felt this could have told a bigger story and made a bigger impact but it felt very open ended honestly.
I did resonate with the mother so very much ( you'll know once you read the book)
But I wanted more plot, more depth.

The artwork though? A++++
Ariel
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a tiny bit of a disappointment :(

The thing about graphic novels is that you have TWO giant elements: the writing AND the art.

The art in this book was phenomenal. Absolutely wonderful. I have not a single complaint. There was a giant combination of different types of panels - squares, rectangles, splash pages.. and all of them were gorgeous. And it was all purple! I loved that it was all purple. Very moody and lovely.

The writing/story, however.. meh :( It felt a little boring, and not fo
First Second Books
Jun 12, 2014 marked it as first-second-publications
Possibly my favorite thing about this book is that it is blue.

I mean, I love the plot and the characters and how the problems of growing up are presented and then not easily resolved like tying a bow; I love that there are parents who have their own problems; I love that the dialogue is spare and meaningful and that the art is gorgeous.

This One Summer is a wonderful book.

But I love that Mariko and Jillian made the creative leap to think of this book in another color -- this book was not drawn in
Julie
Will it embarrass you if I gush?

Aw, hell, it doesn't matter.

Here I go. I'm going to gush.

I'm going to gush, going to tell you that, as far as graphic novels go, this is best in show.

I didn't only turn the pages of this illustrated story with great enthusiasm, I experienced moments of great reflection here (held my breath a moment or two, too).

This book knocked me out.

The writer/illustrator team of This One Summer, Jillian and Mariko Tamaki, are Canadian cousins who have clearly listened to how p
Blue
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone has said it. I concur, the art is superb.

What I don't understand is how people thought nothing happened in the book... Hmmm, I suppose things didn't blow up, and there were no car chases, and true there were no explicit sex scenes. So nothing like that happened, I agree. But a lot of things that may seem insignificant to adults or to anyone other than the few children, teenagers, adults involved in the story happened. A lot happened in their lives. Perhaps people have forgotten how impo
David Schaafsma
6/23/17 Reread update, after reading it with my YA Comics/Graphic Novels class this summer. The way all great novels can be, better each time you read it, and it is always a privilege to experience reading with others who also like/love it, especially (for me) people who have never read anything like it before. Most of them have never read graphic novels. So many small details, the mundane, become important. Was choked up speaking with the class of the resolution, Alice, the mother, in the water ...more
Elyse Walters
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The marriage between the story & the graphics are a beautiful relationship!!!
You couldn't have the graphics without the story, and you couldn't have this story without the graphics.

The story is bittersweet, powerful, charming, and sad.....a coming of age young adult gorgeous graphic......dealing with real issues. Two young girls are dealing with their own set of problems while adults in their lives are also struggling.
Lots of details hidden in the graphics..... truthful expressions built i
Sam Quixote
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Two boring teen girls spend their summer hanging out at the beach with their families. Nothing happens for 300 pages and then something does to give the narrative an unearned sense of purpose. This One Summer? This one sucks.

It really is surprising how little happens in this book. Mariko Tamaki writes a convincing portrayal of some teens’ summer holiday experience except is it worth writing when it’s this banal? She has nothing to say about the girls, nothing to say in general, nothing happens
Whitney Atkinson
I wish there was a clearer evolution of charcter development but this is the first graphic novel ever where i've been able to relate to a character and I adored the art and plot!
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a unique and very different graphic novel but I really, really liked it.

I read this in one sitting which shouldn’t be surprising as it’s a graphic novel but I couldn’t put it down. I think with this one, readers will either love it or hate it. The reason I say this is because as much as there is stuff going on within the story, there isn’t much resolution. I know I am still left with unanswered questions but I still feel content with the way it ended.

I also think that part of me enjoye
Kayla Dawn
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I can see why this is not that popular but I really enjoyed it. The art style is absolutely beautiful and I love the subtle messages this book tries to send.
Sesana
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This book is so incredibly, wonderfully beautiful that it almost hurts me to give it two stars. The art is all but perfect, with exactly the right level of detail. The individual characters are drawn as exactly that, individuals, and I never doubted who I was looking at. The expressions are also very clear. Best of all, the art is reproduced in the same lovely, smokey shade of blue as on the cover. If this had been a wordless book, I think I would have been perfectly happy.

But it's not. The bigg
Wendy Darling
Great artwork, lovely mood...but I think I just wanted more from this story.
Carlos Peguer
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This One Summer es el verano hecho novela gráfica. El sentimiento de nostalgia y de tranquilidad que transmite en todas y cada una de sus páginas es mágico. Las ilustraciones son una pasada, y es una historia que disfrutas y devoras sin darte cuenta. Es una novela preciosa, de esas que te hacen sentir calentito por dentro. En resumen: una maravilla.
Antoinette
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first graphic novel! I decided to read this book for Freedom to Read Week as this book has been banned in certain states in the U.S. Some libraries in Florida as well as a school in Minnesota have banned it because of some profane language. This book is marketed for 12-18 yr old.
We meet Rose and Windy, both pre teens, who always reconnect at the cottage over summer. This is a different summer though- it is not happy go lucky as per their usual. Rose's parents are fighting; things are
Julie Ehlers
I was a fan of these authors' previous collaboration, Skim, but I had resisted this one because I've generally found First Second's YA comics kind of unsatisfying. I should have known this one would be head and shoulders above the rest. In addition to having beautiful, fabulous artwork, This One Summer reminded me of the 1970s YA novels I'd check out from the library as a kid: slightly risque, with a main character on the cusp of puberty and a best friend who's still on the childish side, encoun ...more
Matt
Garbage.

Half a star for tricking someone into publishing this, and one star for the fantastic five-star artwork. Tragedy to have such great art with this dung heap narrative. Almost no plot, no conflicts, just a sour, artsy-liberal meditation with admittedly well-executed tone and very soft themes you have to really dig to find. Almost, ALMOST nothing really happens.

And the last lines, you ask? "maybe I will have massive boobs. Boobs would be cool." that's the nugget of truth we are left with in
Stacey (prettybooks)
This One Summer was the third book I picked up for my (unofficial) summer reads challenge. I spontaneously bought it a few months ago while paying a visit to Foyles, Charing Cross Road. I love the large graphic novel section in the shop and I bought This One Summer along with Through the Woods – and I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed both!

I was expecting a cute and fluffy, picture perfect story about two girls and their summer friendship together in a beautiful beach cottage, enjoying the
Eilonwy

Three and a half stars, rounded up.

This is a very quiet, subtle story that other reviewers seem to either embrace or find very annoying because "nothing happens."

The Weird: This book is awkwardly unclassifiable. So far as I can tell, it's being promoted as a YA story, but main character Rose is too young for YA, as she seems to be around 12, and her friend Windy is a year and a half younger, so she's about 10. Then, much of the story is actually about adult problems.

I think kids from 11 or so
Carlos De Eguiluz
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5

Bastante rápida de leer. Trescientas veinte páginas y un arte bastante bonito.
La lección de que la interpretación de las cosas varía según el espectador.
Un verano real, sin locas fantasías y amores fugaces.
Estoy satisfecho.
Recomendable.

"—It feels good. Floating. It feels like flying."

"—We couldn't figure out what to bring you so we brought cupcakes and wine. And Balloons."

"—I'm a zombie. I have these crazy toughts. Like, I wish. I wish I was a little kid. So I could just scream and be mad.
Liviania
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cousins Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki brilliantly capture the liminal time between being a teenager and being a child in their new graphic novel, THIS ONE SUMMER. Rose and Windy are friends who hang out every summer when their families visit Awago Beach. They like swimming and buying candy and renting R-rated videos, which they can get away with since the teenage clerk doesn't really care.

They're at the age where they're starting to clue into things like sex jokes, but don't really understand
ashley (saidthestory)
I didn't love this, but I didn't dislike it.
I liked it. I enjoyed what I think they were going for, feel wise. I just felt like something was missing, or wasn't QUITE right.

I loved the art. I enjoyed the storytelling format. I liked the type of story they were telling, and the perspective they chose to tell it from, however, it still felt like it was lacking a sort of... oomph. I don't know how else to describe it.

Again, I would recommend it for someone who enjoys this genre. It just didn't qu
Ferdy
Spoilers

I would have liked this more if the main character (Rose) hadn't been an absolute cow who did nothing but slut-shame girls she didn't even know. And when she wasn't doing that she was being bitchy and judgemental about her depressed mum. Unsurprisingly, when it came to the guys around her, she was all about worshipping them and excusing all their douchey behaviour. I was expecting a summery sort of read about two teenage girls growing up and whatnot. Instead I got a female hating, selfis
grafic novel, printz award winner 3 25 Feb 05, 2019 11:25AM
Around the Year i...: This One Summer, by Mariko Tamaki 1 17 Jun 11, 2017 08:39PM
  • As the Crow Flies
  • Americus
  • Saints (Boxers & Saints, #2)
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • Fetch: How a Bad Dog Brought Me Home
  • Lena Finkle's Magic Barrel: A Graphic Novel
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • The Adventures of Superhero Girl
Mariko Tamaki is a Toronto writer, playwright, activist and performer. She works and performs with fat activists Pretty Porky and Pissed Off and the theatre troupe TOA, whose recent play, A vs. B, was staged at the 2004 Rhubarb Festival at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre. Her well-received novel, Cover Me (McGilligan Books) was followed by a short fiction collection, True Lies: The Book of Bad Advice ...more
“Don't worry about any of this stuff, okay?
It's all just adult junk that doesn't mean anything.”
0 likes