Start by marking “Froodle” as Want to Read:
Froodle

Froodle

In a normal neighborhood, on a typical day, the birds chirp, the dogs bark and the cats meow. When Little Brown Bird decides she doesn't want to sing the same old song, out comes a new tune that shakes up the neighborhood and changes things forever in this funny, innovative book that kids will love to read outloud.

A Neal Porter Book
Published May 6th 2014 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Froodle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Froodle

Cheryl
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-enjoy-again
"The dogs went 'woof.'" Arg. I just cannot abide that 'went' phrasing. Try "the dogs said 'woof'" or "the dogs woofed."

Despite that bad beginning, and despite the fact that the theme is not original, this is an absolutely wonderful fable. The treatment of the theme, by both concise story and dimensionally-creative artwork, is particularly fun and effective. And I'm a big fan of crows, so bonus points for that, and for Dove's olive branch too.

I think one of the things that's terrific about this
Kaethe Douglas
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is so visually engaging that I checked it out of the library on two successive trips; both copies, you understand. I just loved the look of it.

In board books and picture books, one of the conventions is that all the critters make one noise. It's one of the things we teach kids, how the English language conveys a cat noise is "meow". When I first realized that all the critters make different noises in different languages, I was astounded. Anyway, all the birds herein make their appropri
Kate
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
There is always a great deal of giggling over this book. Usually right before bedtime which is always great for getting the boys settled. *insert sarcasm*
Melki
I loved this wacky tale of a bird who dared to be different . . .

description

. . . a bird who dared to march to the sound of her own accordion.

description

A funny book with beautiful illustrations?

description

That's music to my ears!

Ksenia
This books speaks to me like you wouldn't believe! Not only is the art beautiful, but it celebrates the idea of walking to the beat of your own drum, which my mother always nagged me about. What a delightful picture book!
Edward Sullivan
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Little brown bird decides to disturb the universe and inspires her fellow fowl to do the same.
Sara
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I want to say all the ridiculous words in this book all the time. Oobly snoobly!
Jillian Heise
A smart, cute story of four birds, who sometimes don't want to live up to the typical expectations of their roles (to caw, coo, chip, peep). And when the little bird decides to be more creative, the effect on the rest of the birds entertains. Touches on themes related to being one's own self, not needing to follow the crowd, and going beyond expectations by letting loose. A fun picture book.
April Thompson
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the message this book relays. Being different is ok and people will learn to accept you for what you are or do.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think this book would be really fun to read with Frindle! It is okay to be different and silly!
Eden
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, the illustration style did not attract my attention at first when opening the book. The intriguing mix of pencil, charcoal, ink and digital colour is unusual and provides an almost collage-like effect that seems cartoon-ish at first. But keep reading, and soon the genius of the illustrations reveals itself. In particular, the broad expanse of the sky backgrounds benefit, given this book's longer-than-usual trim size; Portis shows the passing of time in beautiful ombe gradients and ...more
Nancy
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
The same old tunes are beginning to bother Little Brown Bird so she decides to change it up a bit. What if instead of saying peep, she sang a different song? What is she started by rhyming nonsensical songs?

Afraid of the fallout from the big black crow, others in the neighborhood try to convince Little Brown Bird to fall in line. What if the cardinal and the dove just tried something contrary? Could that help the crow to see things differently?

This is a very interesting story about not having t
babyhippoface
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you don’t tell kids that this book is teaching them to decode nonsense words, they will never catch on and instead will just giggle at the silliness of every sound these birds make. The first time I read it, I just thought I was just goofy. But the more I thought of it, it reminded me of Dibels testing for children, where they have to just read nonsense words. Often it throws them off when they have to do that for the first time.

I read this to two different classes of first graders today, ju
Dolly
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous tale that shows us that it's okay to be silly and it's okay to break free from our stereotypical roles, at least once in awhile. Just the title of the book brings a smile to my face.

The narrative is a combination of text and dialogue and our girls enthusiastically helped with the various chirps and peeps and other sounds (especially the silly ones!) The rhyming onomatopoeic calls in this tale make this a fun book to read aloud.

The pencil, charcoal, and ink illustrations are go
Barbara
A little brown bird decides to swim against the current and sing a nonsense song instead of the peep he is expected to utter. While the other birds follow his lead, the crow admonishes him and refuses to join in the fun. The illustrations, created with pencil, charcoal, and ink with digitally enhanced colors, allow readers to join in on all the silliness, especially when the staid crow gets in touch with his wacky side. This book made me smile because of the way the silliness spreads, just like ...more
Kristen
Portis gets five stars for making a book about bird calls that includes the phrases "we'll mind our peeps and coos" and "lost caws".

Oh how I love the silliness of this book. Everyone knows that cats go "meow" and dogs go "woof" and crows go "caw" and little brown birds go "peep". But what if a little brown bird decides to say something that isn't "peep", something silly like "froodle"? Yes yes yes to this one. The little bit of a rhyming game the birds start to play would be a fun way to get kid
Jana
This book has a great message: you should be yourself, not just follow along and do the same stuff all the time. Change and growth is important, and the birds grew because of the little brown bird's desire to do something different. I think this would be a great book to share with my 5th grade students.
Cymiki
Feb 07, 2015 added it
Shelves: picture-books
In my head, I could hear voices for all the different birds who get a case of the "sillies" and decide to make bird noises that aren't very bird-like. Tickled my funny bone. Thanks, CLEL, for putting this on your winner's list!
Polly
Yay, even birds can be silly!
Lynn
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very cute look at the satisfaction of going against the flow now and then.
Casandria
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Little brown bird decides to sing something different, and the other birds must decide if they want to join in. Very silly and fun.
Birds
Individualism
Laila (BigReadingLife)
My son loves this. It's great for any child (or adult) who gets a kick out of silly, made-up words. A fun read-aloud for story time or one-on-one reading.
Elisabeth Cole
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Pretty simple book that sends the message that it's okay to do your own thing.
Steph Sinclair
The artwork was cute but, overall, this did nothing for me. It would be good for an early reader and my kids really loved it.
Brittany
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book was a long time coming for us. I cannot even begin to think of the many times I checked it out and just never read it because other books looked better. But oh was I wrong about this one! It is so cute. The crow is the best!
KC
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Silly story about a little brown bird who refuses to say "peep".
Sara
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A fun read aloud.
Michelle
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lot of great bird puns in this one!
Carolyn Jeziorski
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The little brown bird no longer wants to day peep, so he lets loose with different nonsense words. I liked this as a read aloud, because it used a variety of bird noises (in addition to the fun words)—caw, coo, etc. this would work well in a collection for encouraging kids to express themselves.
Sherry Ellis
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cats say, "meow." Dogs say, "woof." And little brown birds say, "peep." But one little brown bird thinks "peep" is too boring. She comes up with something different. Soon all the birds are saying funny things. Even the grouchy black crow.

Froodle is a fun book loaded with nonsensical words. Kids will giggle at all the funny sounds and be entertained by the cute illustrations which compliment the text nicely. Recommended for children ages 3-7.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Flight School (Flight School, #1)
  • Mo's Mustache
  • Extraordinary Jane
  • It's an Orange Aardvark!
  • Peck, Peck, Peck
  • Big Bad Bubble
  • Pardon Me!
  • Ah Ha!
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Have You Heard the Nesting Bird?
  • Too Tall Houses
  • Spots in a Box
Antoinette attended the UCLA School of Fine Arts and is a former creative director at Disney. She lives in Southern California.