Start by marking “The Pilot and the Little Prince: The Life of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry” as Want to Read:
The Pilot and the Little Prince: The Life of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The Pilot and the Little Prince: The Life of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  765 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was born in France in 1900, when airplanes were just being invented. Antoine dreamed of flying and grew up to be a pilot—and that was when his adventures began. He found a job delivering mail by plane, which had never been done before. He and his fellow pilots traveled to faraway places and discovered new ways of getting from one place to the next. ...more
Published May 27th 2014 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

GraceAnne
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and multilayered. A phrase that normally makes me run screaming is "for all ages" but this might be true in this case. I practically had The Little Princememorized, in both English and French, in college, and went on to read Night Flightand Wind, Sand and Stars. Sant-Exupery's life was romantic and fascinating, and Sis ties the dreams of the little boy he was firmly to the adult he became (and there is a certain amount of reflection of Sis' own life). Children will pore over the art in ...more
Warren-Newport Public Library
Peter Sís is incredible. I could frame each page in this book and hang them up. I love how the illustrations are similar to Saint-Exupéry's but not mimicked. It is still very much Sís. Gorgeous picture book biography of one of my favorite authors. (Amanda)
Aline Newman
Jun 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Having purchased and read this book, I am so disappointed that I am returning it to the store. Peter Sis is a gifted illustrator. He is less gifted as a writer. Must be he and his editor expect the pictures to carry the story, because there is no narrative arc and no emotion conveyed by the words. None. The pages are filled with didactic, disconnected sentences encircling small pictures that force the reader to keep turning the book in circles. That might be interesting and novel done on one or ...more
I'm not going to lie. I found this disappointing, especially having enjoyed other works by Peter Sis, and I feel like it's overrated because people's love for The Little Prince (and/or other St. Ex stories) blinds them to the work's faults. At its high points, this book's art, reminiscent of The Little Prince evokes the whimsy of St-Ex's works, and the wonder of flight, and it soars.

However, most of the time, I found the book frustrating to navigate (*readers* shouldn't have to use dead reckoni
Kristine Hansen
I hesitate over calling this book a 'kid's biography' when I shelve it, as I'm not entirely sure this book was meant for children at all. Beautiful in design and look - reminiscent of "The Little Prince" - but difficult to navigate, lacking flow and continuity, distracting in how the text is displayed on the page and frankly...boring.

This is what's so frustrating. Antoine's life was amazing - the things he did were astonishing and innovative. The art of the page reflected that, but the facts wer
Donalyn
A fascinating look at the life of Antoine De Saint Exupery, notable author and pioneer pilot. My only quibbles with the book: I found the delicately scripted captions around smaller illustrations hard to read and I desperately wanted an author's note providing more information about Saint-Exupery. The intended audience for this book, young readers, won't have the same demands, I suspect. A delightful book by one of the best author/illustrators working today.
Marina Zala
** Books 167 - 2017 **

This books to accomplish Tsundoku Books Challenge 2017

3,4 of 5 stars!

I can't imagine how Antoine de Saint-Exupery before was an pilot. I thought he is an writers in the beginning. The Little Prince is one of my ultimate favorite book all the time. That's why when i saw this books in Big Bad Wolf 2017 i pick it up without thinking anymore. Since yeah it is about Antoine de Saint-Exupery biography but in picture books format. I love this books since it makes me understand mo
Kelly
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I, personally, found this picture book very overwhelming. There was a lot of text, and much of the information it presented didn't seem to propel the story forward. The sheer volume of text splattered across the pages made it difficult to appreciate the illustrations. The art is meticulously designed and the surreal quality is befitting of 'The Little Prince' (although the "face of the landscape" spread was a little too reminiscent of Silent Hill for my taste.) Overall, I felt that the design of ...more
Kim Kanofsky
I think this book was beautiful to look at, but I find the winding, wrapping text a bit difficult to follow. The story is in there, but it is hard for an adult, let alone a child, to find. Does this page go across left to right and then down? Does it go down in columns and then back up? Why are there 3 types of text on the same page all telling different parts of what is supposed to be the same story? And some of the illustrations don't seem to match the information on the page. It was a beautif ...more
Marcia
I know Peter Sis is an amazing artist. His work is interesting, but I never have really loved it. I also don't have an affinity for the Little Prince, so there wasn't a connection here for me. So many details, side bars, dates, timelines....so much stuff! I couldn't grasp it all and it didn't come together. I couldn't read this book aloud to kids since there are so many details jamming each page prohibiting the flow, and I can't think of one child who would pick it up on there own and be interes ...more
Karen
St. Exupery's golden life, full of dreams, fits Sis's style of poetic story telling and illustration - impressionistic, circular like the shape of the world, connected to the universe. This is a special biography to be poured over. It is about details and connections and always something larger. Beautiful.
Amanda
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Edward Sullivan
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A stunningly illustrated and designed picture book biography of the fascinating French pilot and author best known now for writing The Little Prince.
Alex Baugh
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Last year was the 70th anniversary of the publication of The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry and in honor of that The Morgan Library in NYC had a special exhibition exploring the origins of this most famous of stories. Having such an exhibit in NYC seems only fitting, since The Little Prince was written in New York while Saint-Exupéry was living here. He had left his beloved France after it had fallen to the Nazis in June 1940.

While the exhibit was still running (unfortunately, it has
Mariano Hortal
Publicado en http://lecturaylocura.com/el-piloto-y...

“El piloto y el principito” de Peter Sís. La ilustración como hilo conductor

El tipo de libro que os traigo hoy me hace cambiar mi forma de orientar la reseña; el texto no podría hacer justicia a un libro ilustrado donde la ilustración es el verdadero amalgamador de la historia, el hilo conductor que sirve para desarrollar la trama. Poner textos únicamente sería injusto y no reflejaría el buen hacer del autor checo Peter Sís, ganador en el 2012
B-zee
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Biografi singkat Antoine de Saint-Exupéry dalam bentuk picture book untuk anak-anak. Pertama-tama, gambarnya sangat, sangat, bermakna. Bukan cuma cantik, tapi ada simbolisme, dualisme, bahkan emosi di situ. Kedua, riwayat hidup Exupéry walau hanya sekilas-sekilas, cukup memberikan gambaran tentang latar belakang buku-buku yang ditulisnya. Ketiga, semuanya disusun dengan unik, teks dan gambar menjadi satu-kesatuan tanpa format yang kaku.

Saya suka sekali, bisa mengenal salah satu penulis favorit s
Amy
This was very interesting. I learned a lot of new facts. However, I felt like it was very cluttered...almost too cluttered...with information. I felt that at times the text at the bottom of the page was supposed to be read first before reading all of the little tidbits on each page, but then other times when reading the text at the bottom, I didn't understand the information because I should have read the scattered information first. Still, it's a good biography and would be great for lovers of ...more
Lois
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Biography of Antoine de Saint-Exupery, daring pioneer pilot, and the author of The Little Prince. Peter Sis wrote and illustrated the well-designed picture book, and like in his previous award-winning books, brings his original style to the illustrations. He created two story lines: one in simple text for younger readers running along the bottom of each spread; and the other for middle graders can be discovered in the words decorating the detailed illustrations. This is a book to read again and ...more
Rebecca Honeycutt
Inventive and gorgeously detailed illustrations make this title memorable, even though the format of the text (average type size and layout on the bottom of the pages, with tiny type arranged out around small, circular inset illustrations elsewhere in each spread) make it difficult to decipher and thus challenging for young readers.

In short: visually arresting, but textually confusing.
Patricia
Sep 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
Read for Librarian Book Group

For some reason, there were three different levels (and fonts) of text on nearly every page in this book. It was confusing and made the information very inaccessible. Overall, a very frustrating book and one that people had trouble coming up with anything nice to say about it.
Jennifer Lynn
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
I was excited about sharing this book with my son based on the reviews, but the way it is laid out and how things are explained are way too complicated for a kid his age- which is weird considering this is written out to be a younger children's book. I just found it a bit confusing to navigate.
Pavel Beneš
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mám rád Petra a mám rád i jeho knížky. Nemít je, byla by moje knihovna o mnoho pustější… tady není o čem psát. To se musí prohlédnout, přečíst… a nechat se unést příběhem, skrytým ve famózní Petrově kresbě.
Je fajn mít přátele, kteří umí takhle nádherné věci.
John
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-ya
Sis stirs together images and words (as is his wont) to create a biography of his subject's mind as well as his body. Hard to read, like most of his books, and probably more absorbing to adult readers than to children---but a thoughtful view of St. Exupery's inner and outer lives.
pati
Good information in this book, however, the layout of the captioned illustrations make for a bit of confusion. Do I read from left to right or top to bottom?
Lynn
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautifully done. My question is audience?????? Can't get kids interested. Maybe just here?
George
The combination of long foreign names and the miniscule, loopy-patterned, and italicized writing darting all throughout the pages, my eyes really became taxed.
Stefanie
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
The design choices make it difficult to read, most of the facts are superfluous, pretty boring overall.
Gayatri
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
beautifully illustrated book on such an adventurous and remarkable life. One for inquisitive minds.
Nancy Kotkin
Text: 3 stars
Illustrations: 5 stars

Children's nonfiction picture book about the life of Antoine de Saint-Exupery, the author of The Little Prince. There is a lot of text regarding his livelihood as a pilot, but very little about his writing in general or The Little Prince in particular, which is really what I was interested in reading about. So I'm disappointed with the text. But the illustrations are glorious, in true Peter Sis fashion.
Cerca
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry and the little prince will always fulfill most kids and grown-ups' imagination. If you do not have much time to read, this is the perfect book. Simple, informative and interesting. It sure is a perfect start for someone who has never read a biography and is wondering about it-
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud
  • Tricky Vic: The Impossibly True Story of the Man Who Sold the Eiffel Tower
  • A Home for Mr. Emerson
  • Funny Bones: Posada and His Day of the Dead Calaveras
  • Grandfather Gandhi
  • The Right Word: Roget and His Thesaurus
  • Star Stuff: Carl Sagan and the Mysteries of the Cosmos
  • The Iridescence of Birds: A Book About Henri Matisse
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • Thomas Jefferson: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Everything
  • Miss Moore Thought Otherwise: How Anne Carroll Moore Created Libraries for Children
  • To Dare Mighty Things: The Life of Theodore Roosevelt
  • Gordon Parks: How the Photographer Captured Black and White America
  • A Boy and a Jaguar
  • Annie and Helen
  • Edward Hopper Paints His World
  • Josephine: The Dazzling Life of Josephine Baker
  • The Cosmobiography of Sun Ra: The Sound of Joy is Enlightening
PETER SÍS is an internationally acclaimed illustrator, filmmaker, painter and author. Born in 1949 in Brno, Czechoslovakia, and grew up in Prague. He studied painting and filmmaking at the Academy of Applied Arts in Prague and the Royal College of Art in London. His animated work is in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art. He came to America in 1982, and now lives in New York’s Hud ...more
More about Peter Sís...