Start by marking “Tuesday Tucks Me In: The Loyal Bond between a Soldier and his Service Dog” as Want to Read:
Tuesday Tucks Me In: The Loyal Bond between a Soldier and his Service Dog

Tuesday Tucks Me In: The Loyal Bond between a Soldier and his Service Dog

From former U.S. Army Captain and New York Times bestselling author of Until Tuesday, comes what Amazon.com has declared the "Best Nonfiction Children's Book of 2014." As narrated by Tuesday,  Tuesday Tucks Me In  is a day in the life of this service dog extraordinaire and tail-wagging ambassador for all things positive and uplifting in the world. The book takes us through ...more
Published May 27th 2014 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Tuesday Tucks Me In, please sign up.
Deborah D. All too often there is a lack of understanding that Guide Dogs are not the only type of service or assistance dogs.

There is also a misapprehension…more

There is also a misapprehension that the dogs are always 'on duty', but as is clear in both books, there is off time. Though the dogs are always ready to help even when not vested.

And as Kath said in the first response, there are elements of answers in Luis' first book which is also an amazing read. (less)

Mischenko
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To see this review and to learn more about Luis Carlos Montalván, please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

Tuesday Tucks me In: is a true story about a service dog and his owner, Luis. The story is told from Tuesday's point of view as he explains their typical day together in NYC.

Luis is a disabled veteran. He went to war, and he came back home in so much pain that he couldn't live a normal life. So I do tasks for him. I even sleep with him which helps control his nightmares.

Luis has issues li
Carmen
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
This is the true story of Luis Carlos Montalván and his service dog, Tuesday. Luis Carlos has PTSD, traumatic brain injury, and chronic pain. This book is great because 1.) it's funny, 2.) it's cute, and 3.) it teaches children about service dogs.

The book walks the child through Luis Carlos's day with Tuesday. First, Tuesday wakes Luis Carlos up. He brings him the dog bowl, the shoes, the socks and reminds Luis Carlos to take his medicine.

Luis is a disabled veteran. He went to war, and he came
Dan Dion
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: photography
How could I not love this book? I took all the photos! And Tuesday is an amazing dog, while Luis is inspiring. Great to read to preschoolers and kinders, and perfect for early readers.
Amy Rae
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What better way to introduce the concept of service dogs to children than from a book from the dog's perspective? Tuesday Tucks Me In is a great non-fiction title that provides the reader with well-written text and quality information about how service dogs help veterans every day, all nested within a fun narrative: a day in the life of Tuesday and Luis.

I appreciate that the story provides an opportunity to talk about the effects war can have on a person and the responsibility we as a nation hav
Shannon
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tuesday Tucks Me In is pure love right from the start with the gorgeous photo of Tuesday on the front cover! I read about Tuesday and Luis in Until Tuesday and now as a children's book their amazing story is brought to life through the eyes of Tuesday. In it children will be invited into a day in their life together. Tuesday has such an expressive and enthusiastic way of telling his story that kids will no doubt be captivated. And for big kids like myself too! What's especially great to me about ...more
Ann
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book is a beautifully done (and badly needed) children's
book about the day of a disabled vet and his golden retriever service dog -- from the viewpoint of the dog. Tuesday goes everywhere with Luis (even the bathroom stall which has a picture of Tuesday under the stall door that children will love).

Some of the words and concepts will need explanation for the very young, but nothing is said in a scary way. This simply describes how soldiers can still hurt, have nightmares and flashbacks, an
Christi Dorsey
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Touching, heartfelt and informative....exactly what I expected. With beautiful color photo's and an easy to understand story line, you will be moved and changed by this book. I was changed by the previous book, "Until Tuesday." I encourage everyone, young and older to read it and to share it and its message with all of your friends and family. It is worthy of donating a copy to your local school and local city library. Invite Luis and Tuesday to an event and let them show you in person the bond ...more
Kirsten
This is a superb children's book that handles the concepts of PTSD and of service dogs exceptionally well. The language used is age-appropriate, but doesn't talk down to kids at all; by using the perspective of Luis's service dog, the story describes the physical and psychological effects of war in a matter-of-fact and grounded way. The photos are beautiful and vibrant as well. There is just so much to love about this book. Definitely a worthy addition to any library or classroom collection.
Mary Mullane
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very sweet book complete with color photos showing Luis and Tuesday from the time they wake up until the end of their day. This is a great book to introduce kids (and adults) to the important role service dogs play in our lives--especially a veteran living with PTSD. Thank you, Luis and Tuesday, for giving us this glimpse into your lives!
Jan
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I applaud your decision to do a children's book that teaches our young about service dogs, the help and assistance they provide and what service dogs mean to their challenged owners. Understanding diversity is paramount in our society and this beautiful book will be instrumental in aiding that understanding at an early age.
Julie
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My whole family loved this story about the bond between Tuesday and the author, the Iraq veteran he serves, who is a writer and an advocate for veterans and for all people with disabilities. The photographs of Luis and Tuesday going through their daily routines are very sweet, yet children who read the book will learn about the struggles of wounded vets, including nightmares, PTSD, fear of crowds and loud noises, and the stress, anger, and pain that they often feel. Man's best friend indeed - th ...more
babyhippoface
This is an excellent book about the life of a soldier with post traumatic stress disorder and a traumatic brain injury and how his service dog helps him in his everyday life. Any school that has a significant military population needs this book in the collection.
Kate
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a photo book written from the perspective of “Tuesday”, a Golden Retriever service dog. His owner is Luis and is a war veteran. The story outlines a day in their lives. It is an interesting and effective way to explain the role of a service dog to children.
Mark Oldstrom
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book tells the story of the relationship between Tuesday, a service dog, and Luis, a wounded Army veteran, as they live one day together. A nurturing relationship, an intimate relationship is, to be honest, rare. Anyone, who has worked hard and long to build such a relationship, treasures it. Anyone, who has risked themself on many on many occasions and in many ways to build such a relationship, feeds that relationship. Any of us, who watches such a relationship, learns from it. Tuesday and ...more
Nathalie S
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the sweetest book I've read in a while. This is told from the point of view of Tuesday the service dog. He describes how he helps former Captain Luis Montalvan get through the day. Luis is a decorated veteran who suffers from PTSD and traumatic brain injury following two tours of duty. Suffering tremendous pain, sleeping difficulty, nightmares, flashbacks, anger and shame about his condition, Luis withdrew from his friends, family and stopped leaving his apartment. Tuesday saved his life ...more
Jackie
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I ordered Tuesday Tucks Me In two months ago from my local library. When I learned that this book was on hold for me on Friday July 25th I was so excited. I started reading this wonderful book before I even left the library.
Tuesday Tucks Me In is a wonderful children's book that explains gently to children what the day in a life of a service dog is like. Luis Carlos Montalvan describes his day with Tuesday through the morning routine, trips to his doctors and the stress he has to overcome becaus
Nick
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I rarely give a book five stars. To me, that requires something special, and this book qualifies.
The book tells several important stories. It teaches about the life of a service dog, but also an important story about how disabilities may not be visible and obvious.
The photos by Dan Dion were absolutely wonderful, from the close-up photo of what it's like to wake up with a dog's face close to yours, to the joyful and playful aspects of the "off-duty" dog, the photos are an essential part of telli
Maureen P.
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
June is National PTSD Awareness Month. By reading "Tuesday Tucks Me In," children are able to gently learn about PTSD and the challenges that Luis faces. Written from Tuesday's perspective, the beautiful photographs chronicle Tuesday's and Luis' day-to-day activities, and shows how Tuesday encourages and helps Luis to live a fulfilling & joyous life. Luis returns the favor by taking such good care of his constant companion. It's easy for children to understand that the strong bond between th ...more
Pamela
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read not just for children but adults as well. Short and sweet; so very sweet. Beautiful photos of Luis and his trained service dog Tuesday. Informative in a gentle way about Luis's struggle with PTSD and TBI. I must confess, Luis story and his relationship with Tuesday made me cry. Kudos to photographer Dan Dion for capturing those daily moments between Luis and Tuesday that will pull at your heartstrings! The note from Luis on the last two pages was interesting as he described the traini ...more
Cindy
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not maudlin, not sad, not cutesy, not fairy tale, this is a wonderful book for small children. Tuesday Tucks Me In tells the story of a day in the life of the golden retriever Tuesday and his special companion, Luis Montalvan. It handles difficult topics - PTSD and disabilities, shows the responsibilities of dog ownership (grooming and teeth-brushing to name two) as well as the pleasures of the dog park. Throughout, it is illustrated with beautiful photographs.

Highly recommended for children and
Pam
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, and my upper elementary school students do, too! "Tuesday Tucks Me In" is a very well-told tale that is an age-appropriate companion book for "Until Tuesday." It conveys important messages about service dogs, their importance to those they assist, and that not all wounds caused by war are visible. Written from Tuesday's point of view, this book informs and entertains at the same time. This book needs to be available to every child in all school libraries and public libraries!

R
Kifflie
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is hard to resist, starting right with the front cover photo of Tuesday the golden retriever. Goldens are one of my favorite breeds, and this dog is so smart and so adorable. And kudos to disabled vet Luis Carlos Montalvan, who lets the reader right into his life, with all of its joys, pains, and difficulties.

What better way to teach youngsters about caring for those with disabilities, and our canine friends, at the same time?

The photos by Dan Dion are masterfully done.

Give this to an
Ina
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an extraordinary book! Beautiful pictures and simple text combine to tell the tale of an Iraqi war vet and his service dog, Tuesday. The reader is taken through a day in the life of Luis and Tuesday - days filled with love and challenges and growth. There is humor, there is evidence of a deep bond between dog and human and there is the ever present love. Every reader will fall in love with this extraordinary dog/human team.
Julie
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I love this book! The picture of Luis & Tuesday praying together just about did me in. What an amazing story of a beautiful friendship between a man and his dog. The pictures are beautiful and the words are outstanding also. Luis is able to face the challenge of each day living with the aftermath of injuries, both psychological and physical, due to his amazing bond with Tuesday.
Krista
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Touching story of the bond between a disabled veteran and his service dog. Told from the point-of-view of the dog, Tuesday. This story is one that will stick with you for awhile. I read it to my fourth grade students and they loved it and were touched by it like I was. Just a beautiful story and what wonderful thinking and empathy students were able to elicit after reading.
Kristine Hansen
Tuesday is a service dog who is helping a soldier with PTSD and other physical ailments. Here we have an easy to understand book for children that gives what a day looks like for them together. Wonderfully presented, beautiful story. I will hunt down "Until Tuesday" - the book written for adults by this author. I'm glad I picked this up today.
Gayle
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's a day in the life through the eyes of delightful Tuesday - a service dog and his relationship with his wounded warrior, war veteran, Luis.

The story is about how they assist each other and ultimately how they, in turn serve others.

This is wonderful for young and old alike.
Kelly
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure and honor of being able to hear the author read this in person when he was touring here in Denver this summer. This book would make a wonderful gift for children of all ages. Thank you Luis & Tuesday for all your are doing. Happy Holidays.
ReadingWench
Not only is this for children, I believe this would help young adults and parents understand the complexity of disabilities.
Julia Frederick
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sobbing, j-nonfiction
I just teared up at work while reading this. Seriously.
My book is a semi-finalist! Please Vote! 1 5 Nov 11, 2014 10:45AM
Voting for best non-fiction book for parents of children with disabilities 1 7 Aug 01, 2014 01:29PM
  • Galápagos George
  • Ada's Violin: The Story of the Recycled Orchestra of Paraguay
  • Shoe Dog
  • Mama Built a Little Nest
  • Henry and the Cannons: An Extraordinary True Story of the American Revolution
LUIS CARLOS MONTALVÁN is an award-winning New York Times bestselling author, speaker, and advocate. TUESDAY is Montalván's beloved service dog and the recipient of the American Kennel Club (AKC) Humane Fund Award for Canine Excellence (ACE) - Service Dog.

A 17-year veteran of the U.S. Army, Captain Montalván served multiple tours abroad and was decorated with numerous awards including two Bronze St