Start by marking “Het zevende kind” as Want to Read:
Het zevende kind

Het zevende kind

In 1961 worden zeven kinderen geboren op kraamafdeling B van het Rigshospital in Kopenhagen. Alle zeven worden ze ter adoptie afgestaan en een dag na hun geboorte naar het Kongslund-kindertehuis gebracht. Binnen enkele maanden krijgen de zeven kinderen nieuwe ouders en een nieuwe toekomst. Hun herkomst lijkt volledig vergeten.

Maar aan de vooravond van het zestigjarige jubi
Published January 2013 by De Bezige Bij (first published 2011)

Start your review of Het zevende kind
Erin
Feb 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-review
ARC for review.

Dear God in heaven, I thought I would never finish this book. My copy is an electronic ARC and doesn't have page numbers, therefore I must estimate, and my low guess is that this book was 38,719 pages long. And that was 38,532 pages too many. What I did have was the Kindle % of book left and I got depressed each day when I saw how much I had left. It was that bad. It was all too much - too many characters, too many (often pointless) stories and just way too many words.

The book i
Sandy

If you browse through reviews for this novel, you'll see they run the gamut. I think it's because this is a polarizing book, not popular fiction for the masses. It will appeal to fans of slow, introspective & thoughtful reads. And you'll have to be someone who enjoys a tome you can tuck into. At over 700 pages, this is not a beach book.
Set in Copenhagen, it chronicles the lives of 7 children from their births to middle age. They ended up in an orphanage within days of being born in 1961
Dana-Adriana B.
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
4.5⭐
A nice mystery story, a bit too many details, but in the end all worth it. Actually the end saved the book, because at the begining I wanted to stop a few times.
Strange times after the war.
Darcia Helle
As a reader, I always want to love a book. I certainly don't start a novel with the hopes that it will bore me to tears. But this one nearly did just that.

This story is endless, and not in a good way. There are pages upon pages of nothing happening. Somewhere within it all I'm fairly sure there is a decent plot, though the sheer excess of words left me floundering for some reason to continue this torturous event.

The narration keeps us at a distance, as if we're being told this story by someone
Deanne Lloyd
Mar 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Review

I did not enjoy this book at all. Finally 200 pages from the end I gave up. There are no likeable characters in this book. The story about the dead woman on the beach isn't even what most of the book is about. There are way too many other storylines going on. I wish I had picked another book in my queue. I feel like I wasted several days of reading time.

Debbie Shoulders
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-mystery
Set in Denmark in 2008, this mystery begins with the body of an unidentified woman found on a beach in 2001. Due to the events of 9/11 the death was ruled accidentally and forgotten by most involved in the case.

Fast forward seven years to five men, all born in 1961, who were given up by their birth mothers to a well-known orphanage, Kongslund. All were adopted and in present day have received a letter with a pair of booties wondering if one of them is John Bjergstrand.

The letters lead a journali
Apr 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am not going to finish this book, but I am listing it because it has taken up enough of my life to count and I got at least 60% through before I couldn't take it anymore. This is a mystery with political intrigue and more. Probably too much more...

There is an old, old orphanage in Denmark that has been home to many children over the years. One group of children from 1961 who were adopted out to "qualified" families have been brought back together in an attempt to solve the mystery surrounding
Nina
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-expected-more
I don't know how many stars to give this book. It had the makings of a great mystery with some twists along the way, but it is also a very frustrating, annoying and ultimately disappointing read. The author repeats himself a lot (a lot!) and some of his inventions were a bit too contrived to be believable (there is a journalist who is disgraced (before we meet him) because he ran a campaign to have a convicted man released from jail. According to the author the journalist is the reason the man w ...more
Ciska
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Author
Erik Valeur was born in 1955 in Denmark. He is a journalist and off-stage commentator. He spend the first two years of his life in an orphanage himself and parts of this book are based on his experiences both as child in an orphanage and situations he walked into while doing research for his work.

Review
I saw this book for the first time on a book expo back in September 2012. They only had a cover and a blurb available at that time but I was already intrigued and knew I had to get my hands
Pat
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
A Danish orphanage built by the sea holds secrets which the author painstakingly reveals bit by bit, as if peeling the layers of an onion. The book begins when a woman is found dead on the beach, displayed with random objects and through the course of the book, her life and the life of seven people who began their lives at the orphanage is explored. The story line shifts through each of their lives drawing the reader into a hidden darkness of the children's ill-fated start to life. The orphanage ...more
Jacob Overmark
At 730-something pages, way way way too long.
What could have been an intriguing read, turned into a thing I just had to finish.

I took an interest to the book as I once live more or less door to door to the "scene of the crime" in Skodsborg. Looking back, it was always never a place that caused any attention to the outside world, and I guess it still doesn´t.

Taking 7 babies and creating a life story for each of them with, at least, some consistency is an effort I will credit the author.

Whereas
Megan Kane
Interesting, but felt a little too drawn out

First off, I read this as a free Kindle book and would probably be disappointed if I had paid for it. I was on my way to vacation in Copenhagen when I downloaded the book, it seemed appropriate.
Early on there is mystery and intrigue, but by the end of the story the same vague, cryptic descriptions feel over used. Once the big secret is revealed there is way too much review of the plot and history in the remaining chapters. I felt like I had to finish
Ken Fredette
This book is long. I'm not one who likes to read something over and over unless there are new details that are exciting. I'm afraid this book could have been a lot shorter. 632 pages. It was very slow in the action category.
Caidyn (NO LONGER ACTIVE; he/him/his)
3.5

I got this from Kindle First because it seemed to be the most interesting book, and I've never had the chance to read a translated novel. At least, one that isn't considered a classic and that I was forced to read.

Spoilers are probably going to be ahead.

First off, I want to say that everything was a lie in the novel. A very good way of saying that the narrator -- Was there a narrator, though? The point of view changed so often that it was difficult to pinpoint the main one, yet I have chosen
Kristel
Synopsis: a story of politics and orphans. There are 7 orphans and one is the child of mystery that could make things very difficult for some politicians and government leaders. The story opens with a dead woman on the shore. There is a lot of odd things about this death but because it happens on 9/11/2001, it is dropped and never solved. How or why this has any relationship to the orphans is anyone’s guess. It takes 640 pages of twists and turns to get through this mystery. Much of the time, it ...more
Carla JFCL
No, it didn't really take me 90 years to read this book....it just felt like it did. Holy croak, what a struggle. It took me so long to read it that I don't even remember why I wanted to read it in the first place. It wasn't terrible: the story is interesting; the characters are complex; the writing is okay (although mind numbingly repetitive at times); it's just TOO. DARN. LONG. Maybe it takes ten English words to express one Danish word, so it's a translation problem; who knows. I honestly thi ...more
Erin Farwell
Joan Cobb
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very long, slow mystery, but that's why I liked it! Bit-by-bit and story by story (seven children remember!) the reader is made aware of what seems to be going on and what actually is/was going on. It investigates the psychology of adopted children and touches on nature vs nurture. As the events of 1961, 2001 and 2008 all become clearer and clearer, we finally have some resolution. Unfortunately, to me, the resolution was not as satisfying as I would have liked. The author is Danish an ...more
Ruth Pohl
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: judy
This is not your feel-good read. I never review books, but having made my way through the many pages of The Seventh Son, I felt compelled. I am an adoptive parent and have found the experience to be the best of my life. My two daughters are loving mothers themselves now and we have a mutual love for each other that's very fulfilling. That's where I'm coming from as I review. The author of this book is adopted and perhaps this colors his fiction. The main children of The Seventh Son are all psych ...more
Bendy
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book sounded promising. I read the entire thing and still didn't care for any of the characters. Reading this book you'd think that everyone in Denmark is a criminal. Even the things that were done to help a child is told in a jaded sort of way. I think the author is much too close to the subject matter. I know a few people that were adopted and they aren't maladjusted. I wonder if the story lost something in translation. Last but not least is the length of this book and the fact that there ...more
Andreas Lorenz
Not bad, but should have been 75 percent shorter.
Robyn
May 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, mystery, suspense
Amazon FirstReads Program

Badly paced and far too long, the author relies on "surprises" and "twists" which he telegraphs long before the reveal such that nothing is ever a revelation.

There's not a lot more to say than what I've said above in my summary. This is a 642 page book that should only have covered 200 pages maximum. Several times the author actually took the time to spend several pages summarizing every single thing that had already happened, not even as if it were a recap, but as if
Mitchell
Mar 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This has got to be the most frustrating author I have ever read. So many unnecessary words that have nothing to do with the meat of the story. I skipped over many pages and never lost a single thread of the story. How on earth this book won a "coveted" award is beyond me. Makes me wonder about all the other Scandinavian books that didn't win...how bad are they?

I used to look forward to my reading time...I dreaded it with this book. You might ask, why did you keep reading? I honestly hoped it wou
Vivien Joan Lynn
Oh what a tangled web!

An intricate tale of seven children given up for adoption and following very different careers who started their lives through the immorality of their biological parents. The reader is taken in great detail through the successes and failures of each of the children as they try to overcome the darkness that runs through each of their souls. Who is the murdered woman? Who is the mysterious 7th child? Secrets and subterfuge carry the reader through right to the end.
Catherine
Mar 26, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just received this e-book thru Amazon's "Kindle First" books-before-published program. Despite grim reviews, chose it over the other 3 offerings as I happen to like Scandinavian writers.
John Chesbro
Mar 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too long, goes nowhere, finished because I was stuck on a 23 hour train in India and had no other books
Cookie
Apr 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
#cookiereads The Seventh Child by Erik Valeur 👶
In 2001 a woman is found on the ocean in Denmark. She has a dead bird and a photograph of Kongsland, an orphanage. The case is thrown on the back burner due to the events of 9-11. 👶
Fast forward to 2008 a journalist and a politician receive mysterious package with the photos of the murder with the name John Bjerstrand. What could this mean and how are these two people connects? 👶
If you are hoping this book is another #harryholeseries or #steiglarsson
Desiree
Dec 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This must be one of the first books I have ever read that I haven't completed.
I really did try and struggled for about 250 pages but I just couldn't finish it.

It is not that it is badly written, because it isn't, but the story is so spun out, there are just to many major and minor characters with names that are to difficult to remember. To complicate things they all have nicknames which makes it even more difficult to keep track of them through the story.

I tried several times to pick up the stor
Lise
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia
Gah! It was boring! The story itself is interesting at first, but there are SO many repetitions and you have guessed whodunnit within the first few chapters - and then you still have close to 700 pages to go. The reason why I have shelved this book under dystopia is, that it is a slightly dystopian Denmark in which the story takes place. After all things are not THAT bad yet in the native country of Hans Christian Andersen, Søren Kierkegaard and Herman Bang, just to mention a few Danes that you ...more
Petra Be
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story even though it was a bit confusing at the beginning (too many people, some with nicknames... but most of them were important for the story...). I did guess some of the things but most of the time you just think you know but you don't :D

Also the translation is decent.

For people who want to read the book: try to make the pauses in between reading short as it is essential to remember all the facts.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• En Lykkelig Slutning
  • Vinterland (Martin Juncker-krim, #1)
  • En anden gren
  • The Exception
  • Ser du månen, Daniel
  • Profeterne i Evighedsfjorden (Grønlands-trilogi, #1)
  • Staden
  • Black Out
  • The Grand Complication
  • Bridges Burned (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #3)
  • Hvad er et menneske?