Start by marking “Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...” as Want to Read:
Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...

Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...

Nothing promises pleasure more readily than the words "freshly baked." And nothing says magnum opus as definitively as Baking with Julia, which offers the dedicated home cook, whether a novice or seasoned veteran, a unique distillation of the baker's art.

Baking with Julia is not only a book full of glorious recipes but also one that continues Julia's teaching tradition. He
Published November 4th 1996 by William Morrow Cookbooks (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Baking with Julia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baking with Julia

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,231 books — 1,114 voters
Orange Is the New Black by Piper KermanThe Last Dragon by Jane YolenSnake the Gypsy by Mikal O'BoyleMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe Velveteen Daughter by Laurel Davis Huber
Books by Smithies
59 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...
Shan
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've never reviewed a cookbook before but I just have to share my love of this wonderful book. It calls itself an "all-purpose how-to baking book" in Julia Child's introduction and I think you could teach yourself to bake with it if you'd never taken a class or watched anyone else bake. The flaky pie dough recipe (with instructions for making it by hand or with a mixer) is the messiest page in my copy, but oh, the delicious whole wheat bread, the challah, the walnut bread (this one's complicated ...more
tiasreads
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-cookbooks
This is a much-loved book in my collection- so loved that I'm on my third copy! (Due to a series of unfortunate events to the first two.) I always love the clear, detailed instructions given when Dorie Greenspan writes a cookbook. I never feel lost when trying something new from this book, wondering is this right? or should it look this way? Dorie tells you exactly what's what. The book provides some beautiful baking foundations, like the Flaky Pie Crust. Then it builds on those basics and expan ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
This is a great one. Everything I have made from it (at least half the recipes) has been fabulous. I like it, though, when cookbooks explain WHY you're doing what you're doing instead of simply assuming that "this is just the way you always do it" since I like to manipulate recipes and make them my own. That is harder to do with this book, but it is still fabulous.
Nicole Lundrigan
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is gorgeous! When I have time to make something fancy, this cookbook is my first choice. Recipes generally time-consuming, but there’s plenty of detailed instructions. And results are consistently fantastic.
C
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Bumped this up to 5 stars. It's a keeper and I plan to use it to death.

Beautifully presented book, instructions are clear and well written, pictures lovely, food selection great.

It is written towards home bakers, and in some cases suggests a progression of recipes...this is fabulous. The pie doughs go from "fool proof" to advanced.

The bakers tend to assume you use a stand mixer. I do not...so anything that needs kneading is done by hand.

Each recipe we've tried has been good, so far, but they'v
Scottsdale Public Library
In the name of full disclosure, I have loved Julia Child since I was little and my mother and I would watch Cooking with Julia and The Frugal Gourmet on PBS. My mother gave be a battered copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking & The Joy of Cooking when I grew up and fled the nest. I like to cook. That being said, I’ve never been much of a baker. I borrowed this book after my son asked me how bread is made so that we could make bread together, thinking it would be returning to the library soo ...more
Rebecca Dale
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: she-cooks
I picked this one up just after my first son was born. I was still a baby in the mid-nineties, but full of an intense love for good food and a bit of baking hubris. Had I known better at the time, I would have looked at the index of recipes and run the other way. Glad I didn't... Turns out, though many of the recipes are advanced, they are presented in a way that made recipes for Finnish Pulla, Boca Negra and Mocha Brownie Cake with a memorable ganache possible, even in my inexperience. Based on ...more
Rhonda B
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Baking with Julia was a PBS television series of the mid 1990's (many episodes now available on Youtube). This book is a selection of some of the recipes that were shared by guest bakers on the show. If you haven't seen the show - which I haven't - the book merely represents a curation of recipes that seemingly have nothing at all to do with Julia Child. A short description with some anecdotal information about why a particular recipe was chosen - either to demonstrate in the television series o ...more
G--
Sep 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
The best part of this gem --besides the touch of Julia --is the variety. While many baking books specialize in one kind of baking [cakes, breads, sweets, breakfast, and so on], this book has a wide variety of truly excellent recipes in a wide variety of styles. Of course that makes sense, since it is a compilation of the best recipes of many accomplished bakers. Everything I have made from this book has been truly excellent, and has introduced me to worthwhile authors. I especially have enjoyed ...more
Stephanie
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
I love to bake more than cook and this book not only has a wonderful collection of various baked goods but is connected with one of, if not *the*, most fantastic cook/baker that has walked this earth. I bought the book a few years ago and it pretty much just sat with my other cookbooks. Recently, I have had the desire to do more baking and decided to use this book instead of just collect it and I have not been disappointed. I am finding also sorts of new or previously loved but didn't know how t ...more
Kylie Briggs
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
Gingerbread Cake: 3 stars - not my favorite. although I think this is a personal taste issue. A very strong gingerbread. I didn't love it.

Savory Brioche Pockets 3 stars - with a different filling this would easily be a 4 star at least. I just didn't fall in love with potatoes wrapped in bread.

Ruffle Cake 4 stars - this might be a five if I try again. I took a few shortcuts this time because there were so many new elements that I've never done before. I'll report back once I try again!

Sandwich br
Lori
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've been trying to learn how to bake bread and started with the Bread Baker's Apprentice. Unfortunately I found Peter's books hard to follow and complicated. It jumped around too much and I found that frustrating while trying to bake at the same time.

Dorie's book is the opposite. While the recipes appear to be tricky, they are not. All the bases are covered. I felt like she was in the kitchen with me guiding me through every step.

I would highly recommend it for anyone trying to gain an underst
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baking, read09
Based on the PBS series, this cookbook combines two of the best voices to have in your head - Julia Child and Dorie Greenspan - as well as all the bakers who joined her on the program. I have made simple recipes from here but where it excels is to help you through the complicated processes like laminate doughs, brioche, and wedding cakes. An essential baking cookbook.
Jackie Gamber
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Talk about "baking for dummies" - this book takes a reader through the basics! The good news is, it also respects a reader's intelligence. I've been baking/cooking my entire adult life, but haven't worked up the nerve for some of the more daunting projects like phyllo and croissants, but you know, I just might give it a whirl after all.
Nikki
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Based on the PBS television show where Julia Child met with other well-known bakers to show techniques. Well-illustrated and covers both basics and special items. I should be baking something instead of typing! But the realities of life mean that this book does not live on the pantry shelf, but upstairs where I will retrieve it when I get ambition.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book to read, and the series on PBS is well worth watching--I love the one with her and the woman who owns Al FOrno's. The recipes are more the people she bakes with than hers, and you really cannot easily use the cookbook with out foreknowledge of the series--it is a strange assortment of recipes otherwise--but things I saw on the show worked when I used recipes in this book
Betsy
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVE. THIS. COOKBOOK!

Has all the recipes from the PBS series of the same name. I've made quite a few of the recipes, and they have come out quite well. My particular favorite is the recipe for Finnish pulla, a rich, cardamom-scented coffee bread. The recipe is much easier to handle than most of the other recipes I've come across for pulla, which are usually two or three times as big!
Celeste Knoll
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baking
I have owned this book for about 15 years. I remember the PBS series that featured the recipes. If you get stuck anywhere in the book, you can still find the videos online. The Challah recipe is wonderful. I made the pita bread yesterday with hummus. Dorie Greenspan, who wrote the cookbook, also has a good baking book called Baking. I am making the cheesecake recipe out of it today.
Maisy Lane
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's a mainstay on my cookbook shelf, which is a pretty high rating in itself. I don't keep a lot of cook books around, since "just recipes" are easy enough to locate on the web. I've never made a recipe that has been less than wonderful, and the magazine look and feel, along with extra bits of narrative and nuance put up there with cookbooks my kids will inherit.
Meg
Feb 17, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: cookbooks
Mine at last! Can't believe it took me this long to get a copy of this book, since I've been making the scones recipe for years since catching the episode on TV. The recipes may not be Julia's, but based on her imprimatur and the good scones experience, I expect great things! Now if only I had some extra stomachs...
Larry Edwards
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Once you have this book, go onto to YouTube and bring up the series. You will find most (if not all) of the recipes are very simple for the home cook. Not only are there some great recipes here but there are also quite a few helpful hints... and of course when you're watching the videos, you get Julia's wonderful humorous comments.
Bren Young
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My favorite baking book but just know in advance Julia never does anything the easy way; she prefers the best and hardest way to make everything. Her pie crust alone is 3 pages of instructions and it is probably the best pie crust ever but it's very involved and tedious to follow the directions!
I still LOVE this book!
Ginny
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library
Excellent bible for anything baking. EVERY recipe I have ever done from this (probably over 30) has been a standout and repeat. Love it. Julia knocks another one out of the park. The book also was well awarded (which tends to be a good sign of good cookery) like the James Beard award.
Rachel
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I was so obsessed with this cookbook when it first came out, as I loved watching cooking shows when I was younger (and still do nowadays) esp ones with Julia Child. The one recipe I've actually tried out of here was the French bread, which took me six hours to make but was amazing.
Kelly
Sep 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Yes. What is it about reading cook books? I love them! You can't help but be amazed and also drool after reading this book. The next question is do I dare try to make any of these things? I wish I could bake!
Ninon
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you have one cook book for baking in your kitchen then this would be it. The descriptions are wonderful and very precise. With Julia you never have to figure out what she meant. This is a nice sized book with terrific images.
Joye
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook, food
I watched most of this series on my iPad and then read the book. I love especially the bread recipes and can't wait to try them. Julia makes you feel like you can cook anything even complicated in your own kitchen.
Karen Mc
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: bakers and foodlovers
Excellent book for anyone interested in learning how to bake. The blueberry nectarine pie is a must bake. If you've never tried homemade eclairs and cream puffs, the recipe at the beginning of the book is an great version for beginners.
Ellyn
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love perusing this book and drooling over the recipes. However, I'm pretty much a baking failure- even with Julia's help. Maybe if she was next to me in the kitchen, telling me not to worry, no one will notice, just patch it...
Gail
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Classic Julia Child cookbook....many ingredients, many steps. For those who love baking both sweet and savory, this is a fantastic book. I recommend that it be used by an intermediate or very experienced baker.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Bread Bible
  • The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
  • On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
  • How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
  • The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest (Mollie Katzen's Classic Cooking)
  • Barefoot Contessa Parties!: Ideas and Recipes for Easy Parties That Are Really Fun
  • The Cake Mix Doctor
  • Martha Stewart's Cookies: The Very Best Treats to Bake and to Share
  • Everyday Food: Great Food Fast
Julia Child was a famous American cook, author, and television personality who introduced French cuisine and cooking techniques to the American mainstream through her many cookbooks and television programs. Her most famous works are the 1961 cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking and, showcasing her sui generis television persona, the series The French Chef, which premiered in 1963.

News & Interviews