Start by marking “Less Than Perfect” as Want to Read:
Less Than Perfect

Less Than Perfect

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Mikayla’s read every book in her collection of post-apocalyptic novels at least twice. She thinks she’s prepared for aliens taking over Earth. She’s not.

Nor is she prepared for the attention of a good-looking refugee named Reg.

Published October 28th 2013 by Entangled: Select Otherworld (first published September 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Less Than Perfect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Less Than Perfect

Daniel Price
Feb 16, 2014 Daniel Price rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so full disclosure: the author and I have gotten chummy through her wonderful book blog. She never asked me to read her novella, much less review it. But I took a stab at it anyway, because I've come to respect her and the premise of the story sounded pretty damn interesting.

Still, I admit I was nervous going in. I'm full-fledged Y-chromosome reader. Most romance stories make me want to scoop my brain out with a ladle. Some are horrendous by any standard.

My fears were vanquished by the en
Alex Davnall
Jan 29, 2014 Alex Davnall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally got this book to work on my kindle this morning and finished it by about half four in the afternoon, taking every spare moment I had in the day to get through a few pages.

Quite simply, I loved it. Mikayla is a compelling character partly because she makes poor decisions, making her far more realistic than some characters I could name in this sort of setting. Those who surround her are fleshed out in a way that gives them character but still leaves room for questions about their backgro
Jasmyn
One of my favorite Young Adult genres is a good science fiction dystopian. So when I come across a romance that mixes that up in the storyline I get really excited. Less Than Perfect takes a different approach to the aliens than I had seen in the past so it was a very exciting read in that respect. The story was fast paced and seemed to pack a whole lot into a novella. The action very rarely stopped, but it didn't feel like it was overly rushed.

The character of Mikayla was amazing. She had a box
Jenn Forte
Dec 06, 2013 Jenn Forte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story does an excellent job of telling a post-apocalyptic story from the standpoint of one of its victims. Ms. Jensen writes clearly and thoughtfully, her prose performing as the perfect backdrop to enhance the turmoil and imperfections of her very human protagonists. In a world where humanity itself is nearly extinct, to see the protagonist's self-knowledge and recognition that her flaws are what make her human beautifully expresses the central theme of this book.

The story's pace stays st
*P
Oct 24, 2013 *P rated it really liked it
This was the first book of Kelly Jensen's that I have read and I was pleasantly surprised. Less Than Perfect is the telling of Mikayla and Reg's survival and developing romance post Alien invasion taking over the world. Certain aspects of the book reminded me of The Host which is probably the only other book I have read in this genre.

Jensen does a good job describing what life is like after such a crazy, and hopefully unlikely, Alien takeover. I really liked Mikayla's character and felt her to b
Jason
Nov 09, 2013 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not normally one for the romances, but with the promise of apocalypse coupled with alien takeover this seemed worth a go. I'm glad to say that it didn't disappoint. While there's the gushy stuff, it's not enough to detract from the main story of a girl and the people she's fallen in with trying to survive and strike back against aliens intent on basically terraforming humans into parodies of perfection.

I really enjoyed the pace of this story, although something like this might've easily expa
Jill

ARC courtesy of Entangled via NetGalley
Crystal
Oct 25, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in place of an honest review.

Whoever thought that Aliens would come down and take over the world? That is what happens in this book. They are called The People and want all humans to go under a procedure to make them perfect. I know that might sound good but people start changing and then they disappear. So the rest of the humans try to hide and get whatever supplies that they can find.

Mikayla is the only one of her family left. She is with three other people who a
Jenn
Mar 14, 2014 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Folks who love paranormal, post-apocalyptic, and science fiction romance
In the interest of transparency, I’ll preface this review with the note I’m the original Kelly Jensen fangirl, having known her for four years now. I even have the patch on my jean jacket to prove it. (Not really.)

Even if I didn’t know Kelly, though, this book would still work for me. It’s a novella that feels like a novel. It tells the story it set out to tell. At the end, I closed the book with a sigh of satisfaction, content with what I knew—and didn’t know—about the world Kelly created.

Kelly
Gigi staub
Jul 01, 2014 Gigi staub rated it it was amazing

Nor is she prepared for the attention of a good-looking refugee named Reg.

All Mikayla and Reg want is a safe place to see out the end of the world, hidden away from the aliens that call themselves The People, but cities of the depopulated United States not infested with The People are rife with gangs, the detritus of civilization and disease.

On
Amanda Menninga
Oct 31, 2013 Amanda Menninga rated it liked it
Aliens have taken over the earth and are called The People. They are at first friendly offering to take away imperfections and then suddenly it is realized they are turning everyone to the Aliens way of thinking. Humanity is no longer like you know it.

Mikayla and Reg are just trying to make it through the world until the Aliens leave them in peace. They have several encounters with The People and manager to stick together. Mikayla tries to keep a box of books with her and Reg is so sweet helpin
Samaris Creech
Oct 28, 2013 Samaris Creech rated it it was amazing
Less than perfect is a story that is based on group of aliens come to our planet and making everyone into perfect versions of themselves and the small group of humans who are unwilling to go along with their plans. They may be flawed in the looks department in one area or another but better than that than to lose your soul for someone else’s version of human perfection. Mikayla and Reg are the main characters in this story and they are well matched. I don’t want to say much more and give the sto ...more
Kelly
Jan 19, 2016 Kelly marked it as books-i-wrote  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy reading author's comments on their own books, particularly here on Goodreads. So I've been going through, adding the books I wrote to a new shelf in my library and jotting down a few thoughts on each one.

Less Than Perfect was my first published book. As any author will know, that particular journey can't be repeated-the highs and lows, the learning curve, the mistakes, the...I should put something positive here... The delight in knowing at least one person (the acquiring editor) s
Cathy
Oct 30, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
This is a story about surviving as Aliens take over the earthy and turn humans into 'perfect' people....the day to day struggle as some people help each other and some turn lawless. There is a love story about two of the chance met survivors that is really sweet and hope full...I don't usually like 'take over , end of world' stories ,,,,but this was very interesting and well told.
Hmr28
Nov 14, 2013 Hmr28 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish this had been much longer! For a novella there were some great characters, good world building and a believable relationship. I really liked this one.
Wendy *Sebella Blue* Mitchell
Surviving the alien takeover by the perfect but evil People, Mikayla has found a small band of fellow survivors trying to stay ahead of the roving band of marauders and the search parties sent to round up the few humans who remain at large. Trying to navigate the desperate and deadly new life thrust upon her, Mikayla tries to cling to all that's left of her former life, her books. When her fellow survivor Reg begins to show more than friendly interest in her, Mikayla is flattered and terrified a ...more
Angie
I received an ARC through NetGalley.

Less Than Perfect is just that, less than perfect. I really liked it, but then again, I also had this nagging feeling while reading it. The plot was exciting and interesting, but by the end, I realized that it didn't make that much sense. This novella is narrated by Mikayla, who is apparently the world's biggest book lover, since she puts her life at risk for a box of classics and Sci-Fi novels. Aliens, know as The People, have invaded Earth and are kidnapping
Stephanie Ziegler
In 2015, the "beautiful alien visitors arrived in beautiful, undetectable alien starships. They looked like us, but better... They had observed us from afar for thousands of years, and came to render assistance in helping us achieve the next evolutionary step." They could make us beautiful too. In exchange, we ended up handing over our souls. I am trying to find food and a new home with my group after a small gang kicked us off our farm.

We met a man who invited us over for lunch with his mother.
Rhianna
Nov 18, 2013 Rhianna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Flawed to the bones...

Aliens have taken over Earth. The human race must undergo a procedure to physically perfect them to join with The People, as they call themselves. But there are those who have fled and those who have resisted dwelling out in hiding places, sometimes fighting amongst one another for food and shelter. Mikayla has a good thing going with the tiny group she's part of until they're ousted by another group. She's a bookworm with a taste for post-apocalyptic fiction that really ha
Pam
Aliens have took over Earth and they have changed all the humans they could find. Mikayla has managed to stay free and kept her treasure safe. Her books are what she will try to save no matter what. After she and her friends are forced to leave there safe house they have to try and get supplies in a city. She and Reg are captured and are set to be changed. She has to depend on Reg a guy she likes. He at times seems to be good to true and she worries he may have different motives for getting clos ...more
Diane Dannenfeldt
I'm hoping that there will be another book as there were way too many questions left unanswered. Who are the People, where did they come from, where did the humans go, why did they really want us, what becomes of the humans that didn't want to be changed, what really is changed, okay they mentioned giving up their souls but there has to be more to that. I did enjoy the struggle the survivors were going through and the slow falling in love between the MCs but I need more.
Melissa
Mikayla, Reg, Hiram, and Beth are trying to survive after the aliens " The People" take over the world. Where you either choose to be one of the people, perfect in every-way or hide and try not to be found. Mikayla and Reg have formed a bond since they meet. Now on the run and getting what they can out of abandon stores. Hiram was shot and killed. Mikayla and Reg was captured, before the could change them, the found away out. They found some other people like them that just wanted the world the ...more
RaiRaiKen
I received an ARC from Entangled Publishing for an honest review.

I usually don't read books involving aliens. It just feels weird to me. But Less Than Perfect gave me a bit of insight on what happens when aliens take over.

Reg, the male lead, I felt disconnected to. He's too shady for me, too much of a mystery. Mikayla I found to be hilarious and seemed to be a bit of a doomsday prepper for me. I pretty much liked her. There was enough romance to make me squeal, but something lacked this book. Th
Amber
Nov 09, 2013 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
Aliens come to earth, they look like us but are completely beautiful and perfect in every way. No blemishes, nice bodies. Everything you could want. To good to be true? It is.
This story follows Mikayla and Reg. Who are trying to survive and hide from these aliens who call themselves "The People". For an alien take-over novel it was actually a very light read. The romance was very sweet.
I'd definitely be interested in reading more in this world to see what happens with the aliens.
Kara
May 19, 2014 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing could have prepared Mikayla for the alien invasion, not even all the post-apocalyptic novels that she's read. The invaders, known simply as The People, seek to perfect the human race - whether they want to be or not. While doing her best to simply survive in a world that's different than anything she could have possibly imagined, Mikayla meets Reg, and finds that love can thrive even in the most dangerous of worlds.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was especially interesting after
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
If aliens ever do land on Earth, Kelly will not be prepared, despite having read over a hundred stories of the apocalypse. Still, she will pack her precious books into a box and carry them with her as she strives to survive. It’s what bibliophiles do.

Kelly is the author of a number of novels, novellas and short stories, including the Chaos Station series, co-written with Jenn Burke. At lot of what
More about Kelly Jensen...