Start by marking “Atone (A Fairytale Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Atone (A Fairytale Trilogy, #2)

Read Book

Atone

(A Fairytale Trilogy #2)

Becca Ward knows that magic is real...

Two years ago not only had she and her best friend Alex found a real-life Sleeping Beauty in the middle of Los Angeles, they also discovered that they were powerful in their own right. They’ve managed to keep both their fae powers and their friend Lilia’s identity as a medieval princess a secret and live a normal life. Now their normal
Published July 8th 2013 by Tall House Books (first published June 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Atone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atone

Angela
How Jessica Grey made me fall head over heels in love with Nick always floors me. In fact, I've read this book at least three times and every time I sit down to write a review all I can think is, "daaaaaaamn, she's good."

And honestly, what's a better review than that?

That's what I thought. ;)

#goodbookisgood
Chiara
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I’m just going to come straight out with it at the beginning. I, Chiara, LOVED this book. Seriously. Atone would have to be one of my favourite reads of 2013, and that’s pretty high praise coming from me.

When I first started reading the book, there were references I didn’t understand, and then I realised that it was the second book in a trilogy, and that I had not read the first; Awake. I was a little worried that my enjoyment of Atone would be decreased because of this. Boy, was I wrong.

F
Got My Book
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Also posted on my blog Got My Book.

Real Rating = 4.5*

A sweet & funny YA Contemporary Fantasy Retelling that's biggest drawback is that it's too short.

BOOK DETAILS:
Atone by Jessica Grey, read by Randi Larson, published 2013 / Length: 6 hrs 43 min

SERIES INFO:
This is Book #2 of "The Fairytale Trilogy." While the series has not been officially abandoned, the 3rd book (Aspire) appears to have been indefinitely delayed.

**This review contains spoilers for the previous book.**

SUMMARY:
This is one of
Emily Anne
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Atone! The novel is an amazing fairytale and I will most definitely check out more books from Jessica Grey. Here is an author to look out for! Her fairytale books are absolute gems.

This book is the perfect length. I read Atone in two quick sittings and was satisfied with all the great development, and how there were no drawn out scenes. I'll be picking this book up agin for a second reading when I am in the mood for an action-y, humorous, romantic, fast paced book. However, this
Lelia Taylor
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
Until I was offered an opportunity to participate in this blog tour, I had never heard of this series. I”m very happy that omission in my reading life has now been corrected. I love the concept of normal everyday girls not only finding themselves with fae powers but also smackdab in the middle of some well-known fairytales; this time, it’s Beauty and the Beast. In this retelling, the heroine of the piece, Becca, is surprised to discover what has happened to Nicholas but she isn’t surprised by he ...more
Mishma
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
First of all,let me admit that I haven't read the first book.At first,I was skeptical because I hate to feel clueless when I am reading.So I made sure I know the whole background of the story before I started it.

The cover and blurb itself clearly conveyed that the book is going to be a retelling of Beauty and the Beast.Since it's my favourite fairy tale,I was eager to read the book.It was a quick read for me since both the story and the chemistry between Becca and Nicholas was really interesting
Sheri (Tangled Up In Books)
Originally posted on my blog: Tangled Up In Books

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I basically read the books in this series blindly. When the email came in to sign up for the Atone blog tour, I pulled the book up on Goodreads and I pretty much got to where I saw it was "A Fairytale Trilogy" and I didn't even go any further, I just signed up. After receiving my review copy I then realized it was book two so I immediately went to Amazon and downloaded Awake.

See, I al
Robyn
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairy-tales
Strong-willed and extremely loyal Becca is thrown into a tentative alliance with a man she has always professed to dislike, the handsome but cold Nicholas Hunt, who has been trying to ruin Becca's life and the lives of her friends for the past two years. In his efforts, Nicholas discovers a magical mirror which becomes his obsession and which changes his outward appearance into that of a beast. When Becca discovers him and offers to help, her kindness (even if it's in the form of tough love) bri ...more
Brenda A
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Yet again I'm surprised at how much I liked a book. Atone is the second in a series; a series that I have not read in its entirety. I've only read this one book, not the first. There were multiple references to the previous book, but I didn't really feel like I was missing anything major. It was fast-paced and I absolutely loved the characters.

Becca was by far my favorite, which is surprising in itself. As a general rule, and as I've mentioned before, I generally prefer the side characters more
Lori Palle
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Atone is the second book in Ms. Grey's faery tale series, the first being Awake. Although there is enough backstory that you can read this standalone, I definitely recommend reading Awake before you read Atone; you'll enjoy Atone much more (plus you'll ruin the ending for Awake and after reading Atone, and you'll want to go back and read Awake anyway). Reading Atone was like going back and revisiting old friends. Set two years after Awake, the three heroines of Awake are more mature, are able to ...more
Patty
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jessica Grey’s second installment into the Fairytale Trilogy has revived another classic story into my favorite city, Los Angeles. The first book in the series saw Becca, Alex, and Sleeping Beauty herself, Princess Lilia rescue Alex’s childhood best friend. However, there is one person who knows the truth about Princess Lilia and after being fired, Nicholas has become obsessed with exposing Lilia, Becca, and Alex.

Becca has always disliked Nicholas for using his good looks to manipulate her best
Aisha Oaktree
Originally Reviewed on Bewitching Bibliophile

About two years ago I had the pleasure of reading Awake the first book in this series; it was free on Amazon and I clicked it and I loved every second of it!! As soon as I saw she had a second book I put it on my wishlist and forgot about it, when I got Christmas money I decided I was going to get it and I can say it's a decision that I don't regret. This book managed to live up to the memory of the first book. It was AMAZING!! I mean just look at the
RivkaBelle
Review originally published on my blog: AWordsWorth.blogspot.com
eARC provided by author for review.

What is Atone, you ask? It's the sorta-sequel to Awake, in that it picks up several years later and features many of the same issues and people. But it's Becca's time to sparkle, and her story is a reimagining of "Beauty and the Beast" -- set in Grey's beloved [contemporary] Los Angeles. There's so much more to this retelling though ... In fact, there's so much of Atone that you've simply got to ex
Arely
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let me preface by saying that I absolutely love fairytale remakes. I don’t care that I know pretty much how it’ll end—I just love finding out the unique twist the author puts on it.

And that’s how this book is. Though it is a remake of The Beauty and the Beast, the author manages to spin it in her own unique and fantastic way that I was absolutely entranced. I constantly wondered how the characters were going to get out of the messes they were in, and it most definitely wasn’t predictable.

Becca i
Risbee
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Atone is a retelling of my favorite fairytale, Beauty and the Beast, and is the second in Ms. Grey's Fairytale Series. Since we all know the basic premise of that story, I don't feel the need to restate the obvious, but don't assume that you know everything there is to know about this version.

Because Ms. Grey adds Fae. (How much of a goof does that make me that I'm a little excited that that rhymed?)

Without giving too much away, the story's heroine, Becca, is thrown into a situation that requir
Candy
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! Atone: A Fairytale is a modern day Beauty and the Beast retelling set in Los Angeles. I love Jessica Grey’s writing style, her voice, and the magical way she has when telling a tale.

Grey’s characters from Awake are back for another adventure! It’s been two years since Lilia was freed from the sleeping spell she was under. And the girls have been living pretty normal lives. Until the day, Becca get a rather odd message to check up on their old boss, Nicholas. When she gets to
Kirsty Bicknell
Beauty and the Beast is by far my favourite fairy tale - the cursed and flawed beast who has to have his humanity rescued by the innocent girl, and the answer is simply love. Of course when Disney made their film in 1991 Belle was even more of an heroine as she was constantly reading and Beast found his way to her heart by presenting her with a library!!
So, Jessica Grey's version of the fairytale is Atone, and I initially questioned whether I would enjoy it because Becca is constantly referring
Tanya Johnson
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Becca and her friends lives are moving right along as normal as you can be when you are really a fae. This all changes when Nicholas hasn’t been seen for a few days and Becca is the one to contact in case of an emergency. Things couldn’t get any worse that is until they find out that Nicholas is bewitched by something that is in a magical mirror and Becca feels that it is up to her to help him out. Nicholas is a beast on the outside but can Becca see through that to see who Nicholas truly is…not ...more
Debra Martin
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
ATONE is the first story I've read by Jessica Grey. I wasn't sure if I'd be lost because I hadn't read the first story in the Fairytale Trilogy, but the author does a superb job of including snippets of back story to flesh out the characters. This modern retelling of the fairytale "Beauty and the Beast" was engaging, full of unexpected twists and turns and definitely a page turner. It is well-written with fun characters and has excellent pacing throughout the story.

Would Becca figure out what ha
Haidee
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit I really hate this cover. They say don't judge a book by its cover but it seriously makes all the difference to me. Normally I won't read a book without a good cover but luckily I also judge a book by its title.

That was probably the only reason I thought about checking this book out, and I'm glad I did. Atone was filled with magic and fae and a cool heroine who was strong and not obsessed with a boy or in love with someone who doesn't even notice her.

Becca didn't take shit and s
Claire
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow, what a lovely read!
When it says fairy tale, it really does mean a fairy tale, and i love the twists in it!

I think there was a book before this that i didnt read, but it fills the basic blanks in so its not a major thing to just read this as a stand alone book.

Story starts with Becca receiving a phone call about her old tutor, Nicholas Hunt, who has suddenly disappeared. She and her friends never got on with Nicholas who was smarmy, sneaky and selfish.

When Becca finds Nicholas, she decides t
Rebecca
I have to say that I was pleasantly impressed with this book. When I read the premise, I knew what I was getting into, but I was especially intrigued when I saw that Nicholas was going to be one of the main characters. I remember being a little disappointed that I didn't really get to know him in the first book - and I still think that was kind of an issue, since the girls' feelings toward him are so negative at the beginning. I never really hated him as much as they did. But I definitely loved ...more
Joana Arteaga
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Before I even started reading this book I knew I would love it. Mostly because I love fairytales and Beauty and The Beast is my favorite. There's also plenty of magic in this story which makes it even better! Nicholas and Becca don't get along in the beginning but when Nicholas gets cursed and turned into a beast Becca will do anything she can to try to help him and reverse the curse. I loved it and I need more books like this!

Merged review:

Before I even started reading this book I knew I would
Kelsey
Man... I'm at a loss of words on this one. I would say that it's amazing but that's just not good enough!!! Darn, I hated Nicholas in the first book! He was everything I couldn't stand in a guy, but hey, change is the whole point of "Beauty & the Beast" right? Haha, I LOVE the original story. It's my favorite, so this retelling was just incredible! Although, I do hope to hear more about Violet's story... Seriously Grey, you’re doing an AWESOME job with this series! I'll be so sad to finish t ...more
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have always enjoyed different variations on the "Beauty and the Beast" tale, some more then others. This one did not disappoint. I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed how the tale wasn't as traditional in some areas and yet remained true to the tale type. The first book in this trilogy was an interesting premise but, this one is the book that has made me enjoy this series even more. I look forward to the next book when it comes out. Would recommend in a heartbeat.
Brandi Hansas
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
even better than Awake

You knew love would break the curse but had no clue about what would happen when the curse was broken. A very imaginative and fresh retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Can't wait for Aspire.
Mari
4 1/2 stars awake cover was beautiful and dreammy, this one not so much but I really like Becca and her comming out of her shelf and embrace love... Also, Nicholas was way more nice and human as a beast than a man at least before his final change
Beth
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love a story with a magical heroine who kicks major butt. Becca Ward is that heroine in a modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast, the second installment of Jessica Grey's Fairy Tale Trilogy. After reading the first two, I'm really looking forward to the third!
Lorena Haro
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Damn it, now i love Nicholas, and cant wait for the next book, finally our princess get together with that beautifule fera Talon
Michelle
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
oh Jessica this wwas the best story of the beast I have read so far. thr fea sister are for sure a hand full. love really can break any spell. thanks for taken me to a wonderful world of love.

• The Emerald Princess Finds a Fairy (The Jewel Kingdom, #7)
  • Snow White (Faerie Tale Collection, #7)
  • Magnus Opum
  • Eye of Abernathy (Blood and Snow, #10)
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses  (Timeless Fairy Tales, #10)
  • Dare (Greystone, #2)
  • Asleep (Fairytale Collection #2)
  • Crimson Dahlia (Svatura, #3)
  • Loving Miss Darcy (Brides of Pemberley, #2)
  • Summer of Love (Holidays With Jane, #4)
  • Everlast (The Chronicles of Nerissette, #1)
  • Visited
  • Single-Handed (Single Girls, #1)
  • Christmas Cheer (Holidays With Jane #1)
  • Love, Tink Collection (Love, Tink #1-6)
  • A Christmas Rose (Dusk Gate Chronicles #4.5)
  • So Down I Fall (Broken Fins, #1)
  • With a Kiss
Jessica Grey is an author, fairy tale believer, baseball lover, and recovering Star Wars fangirl. A life-long Californian, she now lives with her two children near Colorado Springs, where she spends her time writing, complaining about snow in April, and drinking way too much caffeine.

Jessica writes witty, modern Jane Austen adaptations and Young Adult fairy tales featuring strong girls and magic.

A Fairytale Trilogy (3 books)
  • Awake (A Fairytale Trilogy #1)
  • Aspire (A Fairytale Trilogy #3)