Start by marking “Baking: From My Home to Yours” as Want to Read:
Baking: From My Home to Yours

Baking: From My Home to Yours

Dorie Greenspan has written recipes for the most eminent chefs in the world: Pierre Hermé, Daniel Boulud, and arguably the greatest of them all, Julia Child, who once told Dorie, "You write recipes just the way I do.” Her recipe writing has won widespread praise for its literate curiosity and "patient but exuberant style.” (One hard-boiled critic called it "a joy forever.” ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Baking, please sign up.
Robin Case I checked the e-book out of my library. I used the app overdrive. It is also available through Amazon as a Kindle version. I liked this book enough to…moreI checked the e-book out of my library. I used the app overdrive. It is also available through Amazon as a Kindle version. I liked this book enough to purchase a hard copy.(less)

Start your review of Baking: From My Home to Yours
Ereck
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A million years ago, I promised Christine a review of Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From my home to yours. Actually, I just promised to explain what I like about it. Then, I decided I needed to write a review essay, then I made some notes, then this project-- blown out of proportion-- fell into the abyss.

So, now, let me declare quickly, simply, perhaps anecdotally, what I find so appealing about Dorie.

1) She's a great writer:
"She stopped next to me for a second, asked if I was new and said, 'How chi
Becky
Oct 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I got this book for Christmas- and it's fantastic! I've been baking with Dorie's recipes for about six months now, and she hasn't steered me wrong yet. It's a great baking book in that it is full of basics and how-to's, but also has it's fair share of beautiful, complex recipes. She has a knack for coming up with techniques that make difficult things shockingly simple. She's a talented author, writing Julia Child's Baking with Juila, among others. Plus, it has great photos. And I'm a sucker for ...more
Daisy
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I didn't know that Katharine Hepburn was well-known for her brownie recipe. In her tribute to the actress, Ms. Henderson wrote, "I'll always be grateful to Miss Hepburn for making me stick it out at Bryn Mawr and for giving me these rules to live by: 1. Never quit; 2. Be yourself; 3. Don't put too much flour in your brownies."

I was at first put off by the cover picture. I thought it was too fancy, meaning fussy recipes. Instead this is comprehensive and tempting, has pretty, helpful photographs.
Jul 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to bake
This is an amazing book. The quality of the recipes really stands out and the author's detail in explaining the process of baking is insightful and informative. The photographs are also astounding. I was not suprised to learn that she once worked with Julia Child. I consider this one of my best baking investments.
Mary
Aug 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is such a handy book to have around--these recipes are great. So far, I've made:
-fruit tart
-linzer cookies
-honey nut brownies
-pie crusts (great essential recipe)
-fruit tarts
-lots more, this book is a monster!
Julia
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: bakers
Shelves: cookbooks
Amazing cookbook! I sold all my other baking cookbooks (Martha Stewarts was terrible) and this is my only one now. I love the recipes and the way she writes. If you are a fan of this group you should join our Tuesdays with Dorie blog group: www.tuesdayswithdorie.wordpress.com ...more
Jessica Haider
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Excellent baking cookbook. I remember baking my way through this one when I was pregnant with my now 10 year old. :)
Manik Sukoco
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This sub-genre is very personal in that it reflects the recipes that happen to have meant a lot to the authors over the years. It also covers a broad range of recipes, hitting virtually every major type of baking, including pastry (pies, tarts, shells), cookies (drop, roll, sheet), cakes, yeast breads, and quick breads (muffins, biscuits, scones, fruit and vegetable breads) and cooked sweets (puddings, flans, custards). In spite of this wide coverage, there is no concerted effort to touch every ...more
Melody
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is a huge book, filled with a ton of recipes. Lots and lots and lots of recipes, all of which I read. I noticed a pattern, as I read the ingredients- I'd be thinking, "Yes, this sounds good, mmhmmm, yep, yep, okay, what the hell? NO." And possibly if I'd made any of them, they would be delicious. But I'm not willing to try- of all the recipes in the book, I marked just 3 as possible, and have already identified changes I'd make before baking them! So I think that Greenspan and I are deeply ...more
Nov 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The best cheesecake recipe ever! I've made over 1/2 of the recipes in the book, and they work! Don't subsitute ingredients though, Dorie gives plenty of substitution options for playing around. They're not low fat recipes, but these are standards that will always work. I highly recommend the cookie recipes as well. This is definitely a desserts baking book, it has some sugary breakfast foods, fantastic cookies and desserts, but no yeast breads.
Sibyl
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a cookbook you can read! I just made
her blueberry pie recipe and OH MY GOD the woman
is a muse of absolute pleasure.

This cookbook is almost a cooking class. There are pages
of her thoughts and intentions for each recipe and
she is a great advocate of enjoying the entire
process of crafting the deserts you choose to indulge in...as you read the short essays attached to each recipe, you realize how do-able this really is. I highly recommend finding a copy for your shelf.
Kathryn
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a heavy book - weighing about 4 lbs. - so not one I would use or read often. It is also pricey - tagged $53.95 on the copy I got at the library - so not likely to get to my shelves. It does have 472 pages of recipes as well as a 23 page glossary of terms.

Apart from that, it is a good basic+ baking book, with a good selection of recipes and good explanations.

I did not copy down ANY of the recipes included, though, that looked good enough to replace my own favourites. Some were a bit tempt
Nicole
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to bake
This is my absolute favorite cookbook in my rather extensive library. I LOVE to bake, and this is my baking Bible. The recipes are easy to follow and I enjoy reading the stories that go along with them - there's such a sense of history and it's nice to read the author's reasons for including certain recipes.

I haven't tried all of the recipes - far from it, but the ones that I've made have been SO good! There are so many options including creative variations on standard recipes, great pictures,
Rose
Feb 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who love to bake
Recommended to Rose by: Serious Eats, a food bl
Shelves: cookbooks
Absolutely, hands down, one of the best baking books I've read. I have had it checked out of the library for about two months, begging and renewing the copy. It has lodged itself in my consciousness and is on my "I need to own" list.

Dorie Greenspan gives great instructions and is incredibly generous, sharing recipes I probably would have kept under wraps. Her recipes for Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops and Molasses Spice Cookies guided me through the holiday baking season and earned me some kudos
Asta
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, non-fiction, 5-star
Dorie Greenspan's breadth of knowledge and skill at making it accessible to the everyday cook/baker is impressive.
This book works equally well for the novice and the experienced home baker. I know, because I used it to help a rookie friend hosting her first dinner party. Her Apple Kuchen cake was as fine as anything I could have produced and I've been baking for years.
Recipes are clear, well plotted, and full of helpful details.
This should be a foundation cookbook in any keen baker's collection
Beth Cato
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook, 2019, borrowed
Well. I think I can say Dorie Greenspan is my new favorite cookbook author. Most cookbooks, I'm lucky if I can find a couple recipes of interest. In her cookbooks, I find bunches. I just recently borrowed her Around My French Table through Amazon Prime, and loved it so much I went out and bought a hardcover. You better believe I jumped on the chance to read this cookbook for free through Prime, too--and I found even more recipes of interest. Not only are her recipes appealing, but her tone is ut ...more
Jennie
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I'd give this one six stars if I could. Haven't made a recipe from this one yet that hasn't been a success. The BEST cheesecake ever. Reworked the caramel pumpkin tart that is now my Thanksgiving mainstay.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read2010, baking
I kept giving this as gifts and finally asked for it for Christmas. This could be every cook's general baking cookbook - Dorie creates infallible recipes (the perfect party cake is a great example) and all of these are crowd pleasers.
Laila (BigReadingLife)
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baking
Amazing, intelligent, unintimidating. Made the lemon poppy seed muffins and they were wonderful. Can't wait to try more recipes! I *must* own it.
Cheryl
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-priority
I will be clear. I am not a baker. I struggle with the exact science of baking. I am a cook (IMHO a very good one) but that is more forgiving, less scientific - and I get to taste DURING cooking.

So how did I ever buy this book? First I bought AROUND MY FRENCH TABLEAround My French Table: More than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours. While I cooked away in that book I also made her Orange Almond Tart which my son declared the best EVER. Dorie gave me the idea that I can bake. Yes it is a challeng
Daniel Stern
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
... this is a great cookbook to have. I bake a lot, and there is a fine range of "homey" and fancy recipes in this book. I actually pre-tested this by borrowing it from the library, and found there were enough recipes that I tried and liked or was planning to try that the purchase was definitely worth it for me. The recipes I have tried so far have been, at minimum, good, up to GREAT, and I am very fussy. Recipes are very clear, and I believe they would also be understandable to an inexperienced ...more
Linda Hartlaub
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Have you seen Dorie Greenspan? She's tiny! And yet she has put together this incredible compendium of mouth-watering, amazing, sugar and butter laden desserts. Just looking at the photos has put 5 pounds on me. Must be good genes and a high metabolism.

The recipes in the book are clear, concise, well thought out, and from what I can tell, foolproof. The pictures make you want to eat the pages themselves. A marvelous book that I plan to use often.
Marie-Charlotte Brandon
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best brownies I have ever made! Easy to follow recipes and so many variations to choose from, whether it be muffins, Madeleines, cookies. Lots of recipes to choose from, highly recommended for any keen bakers out there.
Ann Manning
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully written!

Yummy and fantastic recipes that everyone who loves baking can definitely enjoy. This book has everything from cakes, pastries and intriguing sauces that you will love trying out at home for your family and friends.
Sara
May 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking
Entertaining to read. Gorgeous pictures! I only made one recipe. The lemon cream tart. It should be called the lemon butter tart. I felt like I was eating a stick of butter in a tart shell. Oh well. It was due at the library so I couldn't try any others.
Cheryl
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have several of Dorie Greenspan’s Cookbooks,along with too many other cookbooks, but after sifting through numerous times, I think I am going to have to add another to my collection. There are so many standards and so many helpful hints. If you like to bake, I do recommend it.
Shannon
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now all I want to do is bake.
Ski family
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my go-to cookbook. Every recipe comes out perfectly!
Forgottendreamr
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Solid dessert recipes. Made both chocolate cupcakes and cheesecake that were well received.
Pam G
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best cheesecake recipe is in this book! A go to baking book. Dorie has decades of experience as a baker and her recipes never disappoint.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Banh Crepe la khom nhan com xanh ngon hoan hao 1 6 Oct 18, 2016 12:55AM
Cac buoc lam banh pho mai dau 1 1 Oct 11, 2016 08:58PM
Truyen dat bi quyet lam banh trung thu nhan dau xanh tai gia 1 1 Aug 29, 2016 10:00PM
Lop lam banh trung thu ngan han tai tphcm 1 1 Aug 08, 2016 09:52PM

• Betty Crocker's Cookbook
  • The New Best Recipe
  • Martha Stewart's Cupcakes: 175 Inspired Ideas for Everyone's Favorite Treat
  • Mastering the Art of French Cooking
  • Barefoot Contessa: How Easy Is That?
  • The Taste of Home Cookbook
  • The Cake Mix Doctor
  • Joy of Cooking
  • Cook with Jamie
  • Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food
Called a culinary guru by the New York Times, Dorie Greenspan is the author of the James Beard Awardwinning Baking: From My Home to Yours, which inspired the creation of the online baking community Tuesdays with Dorie. She has been passionately involved with French food for the last three decades. With Pierre Herm, she wrote Desserts by Pierre Herm, winner of an IACP Cookbook of the Year Award, an ...more

News & Interviews