Start by marking “Consumed (The Hunger #2)” as Want to Read:
Consumed (The Hunger #2)

Consumed

(The Hunger #2)

Nestled in the Appalachian Mountains and dissected by three rivers, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is an idyllic city. It's quiet, the traffic is nonexistent, and floating down the Allegheny River on a boat is peaceful and serene.

It's perfect… as long as you can ignore the mindless monstrosities roaming the streets, vampires ruling the night, and the insane, power-hungry human
370 pages
Published September 10th 2013 (first published September 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Consumed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Consumed

Start your review of Consumed (The Hunger #2)
carol.
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the Walking Dead
I used the lure of this book to drag my bootie to the gym and the reclining bike after the non-stop excitement of book one, Devoured. It certainly worked in terms of heart rate elevation and distraction. However, in terms of brain-stimulation, I was a little disappointed it focused more on the human threat from fascists militia-types. It's pretty freaking obvious that people are the real threat (just listen to the news!), so for me, this wasn't as interesting as I had hoped.

As our troupe of
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
4.5 Kill the Minutemen Stars

So, Lance and Cass are back again and this time with a vengance for survival.

They are still being comical in their banter when up against the Vladdies...Ralph is still a threat...some questions are finally answered for Lance.

And there may be a few surprises along the way!

Even though this ends in a cliffhanger (sort of) - I love the ending as it is!
Mr. Matt
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2014, vampires
Another fantastic, gore and blood filled story about the end ... of Pittsburgh and the all of human civilization. Consumed picks up right on the heels of the previous book. And that's OK. The author has spun a pretty cool end of the world story.

The plague is several weeks old. The last vestiges of the US government and organized resistance have collapsed. All that's left are Lance, Cass, Doc Borwn, and Eifort - and hordes of bloodthirsty, mutated infected. Being a quasi-undead apocalypse story,
Michael Loring
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Consumed is the second in Author Jason Brant's apocalyptic series The Hunger. The first being Devoured.

Continuing the story of self-proclaimed loser Lance York and his wild-card partner Cass: the two have gained two new friends in Doc Brown and Eifort and are still trying to survive the Xavior virus that has turned millions into blood-thirsty monsters.

Things become even more complicated when the Minutemen (introduced in the first novel) become more of a threat. Lance and his crew are rushed to
Rosemary
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
After reading Devoured, I was very happy with the way things ended. Our heroes were in a safe place, safe from everything and everyone wandering the streets of the cities and out in the countryside. It was a huge relief. But that relief was to be short lived.

Consumed started off with a bang, and the action and suspense did not let up until I put the book down. It was an intense read, filled to capacity with terrifying scenes of mindless daywalkers - always on the lookout for their next victim;
Rene Folsom
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"The sigh that escaped Lance's lips would have given anyone within earshot the wrong impression of what he was doing."

The perfect opening line, especially considering a pair of clean socks is a luxury in Lance's "new world".

I'm having a tough time putting into words just how much I enjoyed this installment of The Hunger series. Maybe it's still the book-high talking, but this story was even better than the first. The relationships shared between Lance, Cass, Doc Brown, and Eifort add to this
Jamie
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This Book Consumed Every Free Moment I Had

Wow, after reading this book I just have one word to describe it: HolyFreakingAmazingBatmanBalls.

Seriously, this book rocks and I had such an amazing time reading it. It's earned Jason Brant his own folder on my Kindle because I plan to snatch up the rest of his books as fast as I can. I really try hard to make myself wait a day before posting a review that way the story has enough time to sink in but I couldn't wait for tomorrow so I've just decided to
Jude Samson
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
So we are back with much of the same issues

They could have easily grabbed the gun from the body in the house while they were escaping

After making several points about the vladies avoiding the water it would have been interesting to have some details about something happening to their bodies when they get tossed into the water to justify why they’re avoiding it or at least point out, then, that it's more a matter of that they can't seem to swim (for some reason).

We spent an obscene amount of
Terri Baldwin
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
(I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest, unbiased review)

Wow. Where do I begin? This book takes off exactly where Devoured (book 1) ends. This is not really a stand alone, so I recommend that you read the first in the series before this one. Actually, the awesomeness of this book doubles when you read Jason’s short story, Lotion, that was in Cynthia Shepp’s Apocalypse Anthology. Lotion was the story that started this entire series, introduced us to this world, and to a
AudioBookReviewer
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: submitted
ABR's original Consumed audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

If you liked “Slow Burn” by Bobby Adair and “Mountain Man” by Keith C. Blackmore you are going to love this series.

Recap from Devoured (book 1). Lance, (a down on his luck, out of work and demoralized man) tried to help a deranged woman walking down the street. He got hit by a car trying to save her. Wakes up in the hospital. The hospital was crawling with, blood thirsty flesh eating, monsters. Managing
Jayce Grayson
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jason Brant is on FIRE and at his very BEST with this second installment of THE HUNGER.

Firstly, there's the unexpected and magnanimous honor that he bestows upon some of his fans (who merely commented on a particular Facebook post of his). That honor being that he includes said fans in CAMEO APPEARANCES within his novel! And what's more, he KILLS them! (My ignominious demise is recorded on page 63!)

Secondly, this sequel to DEVOURED is action-packed, full of surprises, and suspense. I am
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
Okay, so I thought that Devoured was great, well Consumed was GREAT!!! I love it when an author keeps upping the ante in a series and making me reset my rating standards. Whenever I had to put Consumed down (yes, I did have to put it down occasionally for things like work and sleep), I could not wait to pick it back up again and continue with the story.
In Consumed, Lance advances and grows as a character into the man that I hoped he could become. Cassie also grows as a character, becoming less
Sofia The Great
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies, 2016
4 Platypires for Consumed by Jason Brant

I was provided a free digital copy for an honest review.

Oh wow this was a lot of fun. I thought the second novel in the Hunger series was just great. I like how the action didn't stop and the story kept going. The story continues with the group still trying to survive and coming to battle with the Minutemen (An evil group who just wants to make things worse.) A lot of these scenes are nail-biting to the point where I had to put down the book a few times
Soobie's scared
I'd say 2,5 stars. I prefer the first book, when it was all about bad vampire/zombie creatures...

This book focuses on the militia and Ralph instead. They're the bad guys of the situation, even worst than the zompires. They destroy Lance's boat and they hunt everybody down to kill them. What worse, they have these weird ideas of repopulating the world and they use every (view spoiler)
Ebony Irby
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Sigh, this book was only so-so. It was so predictable! Lance was horrible in his decision making. Whenever he went out, you knew how it was going to play out. Someone would sneak up on him, and threaten to kill him!!! the same scenario played out MULTIPLE times in this book. So much so that I had to force myself to continue to listen. Plus the fact that Cassie seemed to be the Jack of all trades. Like how is she so proficient in EVERY tool/weapon she gets her hands on? Her character was ...more
Mark Heath
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This just gets better and better
Darren
Susan
Book 2 picks up about 1 week after Book 1 ended. Our heroes, Lance York and Cass of the War Axe, are on a boat in the Allegheny River outside of Pittsburgh. Dr. Emmett Brown and soldier Meghan Iverson are still with the duo, providing cover fire and medical treatment as needed. The world continues to devolve in to mutated monsters that roam night and day and militant, power-hungry humans. Yet, the river seems the safest….at least until they lose their boat.

If you read my review of Devoured, Book
John Podlaski
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
think author Jason Brant chose the title for each book in the series based on his perception of how readers will feel after finishing the story...Yep, I'm "Consumed"!

First I was "Devoured" for free and then immediately purchased the next two books in the series. This story starts right up where the first story ends; Brant doesn't spend several pages retelling his earlier work to bring people up to date.

At Heinz Field, Lance reunited with Dr. Brown and SSGT, Eifort from his stay at the
Trong Tran
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Better than the first, but not all entirely there. In the second book, the zombies are progressing, evolving and becoming more of a threat. I know they're called Vlads, but I think it's a ridiculous name to call them and refuse to call them such.

Lance begins to grow a bit of a backbone here, people act the way you would expect them to act in an apocalypse, Cass kicks some ass, Brown kicks his own ass, and Iverd (can't remember how her name is spelt) is incredibly useful as she should be.

If
Theresa
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
From its opening line describing the near orgasmic sensation of new socks in this destroyed world to its final one, this book is a definite page turner. The first book, Devoured, covered the slow descent into the apocalypse and this one picks up soon after and quickly jumps into the action. There's no lack of gore and intensity, but what really makes this book stand out is the undercurrent of humor, hope and even a little romance. I love Cass and Lance's banter and how their relationship ...more
Heidi
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another heart pounding, nail biting novel by Jason Brant! Consumed is a sequel to Devoured in the Hunger series. We join Lance, Cass, Doc Brown, and Eifort shortly after we left them in this novel. The foursome are fleeing Pittsburgh which has been wiped out by the Xavier virus. They continue to fight off the daywalkers and Minutemen during the day, and vampire like Vladdies at night.
I read the complete book in less than 2 days, and the built up laundry proves it. I had to keep turning the
Aubrea Summer
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Coming into Consumed, The Hunger 2, I was already excited as I've read the first in the series. The plot thickens as the characters face nightly reins of evil and daily doses of the rotten core in man. Lance and Cass struggle to save their friends and get far enough away to avoid the monsters in the dark. They can't hide out forever though, and the cities are running out of food. The creatures will be moving their way, if they don't stop them. They have a plan, but it's dangerous. They are going ...more
Claire Thake
Firstly a big thank you to Jason Brant for gifting me a copy of Consumed to review via Audible.

Consumed continues where Devoured left off, following Lance York and friends, trying to survive in a world where the xavier virus has turned the majority of the population into 'vampire' like creatures.

I loved Devoured but I think Brant blew things out of the water with Consumed. It is fast paced and full of action and keeps you listening and not wanting to stop! It is so well written and spoken that
Andrew Weil
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The dynamics between the main characters is great. The action was intense and had me flying through the pages. The character development of people that had parts also felt real. You identified traits of so many different types of characters, it made it easy to like and hate people. Similarly, the intensity of the situation was always present and had me on edge. Jason makes this world so easy to feel like you are there.
John
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lance and Cass are back along with a couple of friends they have met along the way. Pittsburgh has fallen as they barely escape into the country. Here with less population there are fewer of the infected to fear, but can they be far behind. And they are still being hunted by Ralph and his army of crazy minutemen. But the playful banter and edge of your seat action still remains. This book was another winner.
Cedric
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this book was equally as amazing as the first book. The monsters are getting smarter and night time is getting scarier and humans start fighting each other. this book is amazing and full of action as the main character is trying to survive the apocalypse. I think that its amazing how the main character lance has survived so much after being burned and shot and clawed by a monster. this book is amazing.
David Foster
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent follow-up to the first book of the series. It takes all that was good about that first book, especially the main characters, and jumps right in, avoiding the rather slow opening of the previous book. I love the goofy klutz of a hero and his ass-kicking gal that steps in when he needs saving. The duo, their unique relationship, and the consistent excitement splashed liberally across the pages combine to make a truly entertaining read.
NormaCenva
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Second book in the series was my favorite, till I read the third one;)
I enjoyed the main two characters the most, their banter and relationship development was so real, with all the imperfections, "fun and games" and all! The main "obstacle" of the story was a bit repetitive to be honest but it didn't make the story less enjoyable, just a bit slows it down.
Robert Wood
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome series and so hard to take a break from as the action just keeps rolling! I'm so glad to have Jason Brant recommended to me. I'm a fan boy of this author now. I'm off to finish the third book then I'm going to start his Asher Benson books.

• The Zombie Chapters Volume I
  • Voices in the Snow (Black Winter, #1)
  • The Zombie Chapters Volume II
  • The Zombie Chapters Volume III
  • Zoo Nebraska: The Dismantling of an American Dream
  • Deadlocked (Deadlocked, #1)
  • The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #5)
  • Survival (After It Happened #1)
  • Alive for Now (The Infected Dead #1)
  • Within the Woods
  • Humanity (After It Happened #2)
  • Grace Lost (Grace, #1)
  • Until the Sun Goes Down
  • Society (After It Happened #3)
  • Guild Master (Tower of Power #1)
  • Slash
  • A Midwinter's Wedding: A Retelling of The Frog Prince (The Four Kingdoms, #3.5)
  • Heroes Wanted: A Fantasy Anthology
"JASON BRANT" is an anagram for Bas Trojann, a former Bigfoot hunter who, after being abducted (and subsequently returned) by aliens, decided to hang up his ghillie suit and enter the world of professional arm wrestling. Despite back-to-back first place finishes in the South Dakota World International Championship League, Bas receded from athletics to invent cheese and give Al Gore the initiative ...more

The Hunger (5 books)
  • Devoured (The Hunger #1)
  • Ravaged (The Hunger #3)
  • Ruined (The Hunger #4)
  • Decayed (The Hunger #5)