Start by marking “Updraft (Bone Universe, #1)” as Want to Read:
Updraft (Bone Universe, #1)

Updraft (Bone Universe #1)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  2,597 Ratings  ·  549 Reviews
In a city of living bone rising high above the clouds, where danger hides in the wind and the ground is lost to legend, a young woman must expose a dangerous secret to save everyone she loves.

Welcome to a world of wind and bone, songs and silence, betrayal and courage.

Kirit Densira cannot wait to pass her wingtest and begin flying as a trader by her mother's side, being i
Published September 1st 2015 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Updraft, please sign up.
Fran Hi Riki! I wrote Updraft to stand on its own. There's a completed arc, as Coolcurry said. At the same time, there's more to tell about this world, and…moreHi Riki! I wrote Updraft to stand on its own. There's a completed arc, as Coolcurry said. At the same time, there's more to tell about this world, and two more novels set here are coming in 2016 and 2017.

There are also short stories, including one published in Beneath Ceaseless Skies two weeks ago - Bent the Wing, Dark the Cloud http://www.beneath-ceaseless-skies.co...

Hope that helps!
~ Fran(less)

Bradley
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I had a lot of high hopes for this. I really did. I thought to myself, "Oh wow, a society of fliers. A whole world of fliers! This could be utterly awesome, giving me lots and lots of necessary extrapolations and unusual twists and turns, whether societal, setting, or even character-centered."

Instead, I'm introduced to a completely forgettable and utterly predictable plot, with: A Chosen One. An Outcast Sect. War like a Football Game.

Huh? Am I reading YA? Trials, graduation, snobby rich kids, da
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/09/01/b...

Updraft is a lovely book, a mesmerizing debut from Fran Wilde that draws readers beyond the clouds into an incredibly imagined world of open skies, towers and wings. A lot of readers should enjoy this one, like I did. So why not a higher rating? As with a lot of crossover genre fiction, my main struggle was with the story and writing style, and a dissonance between what I read versus what I expected. Sometimes, getting s
Althea Ann
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Updraft" has been getting a lot of buzz - I went and grabbed a copy just because of all the great things I'd been hearing about it. I'm glad I did; this was a very, very enjoyable book.

However, I almost wish I hadn't heard all the hype - it gave it a lot to live up to. One of the things I kept hearing was how very "unique" it was, especially the setting. There, I have to disagree.

Back in the 70's, when I was a kid, one of my favorite stories had to do with a people who live in a living, growi
Sherwood Smith
Oct 30, 2014 added it
Shelves: fantasy
I loved this book. Loved it. It hits so many of my favorite narrative tropes: wings, towered cities, strange beings, layers and layers of secrets, a heroine who's got talent but who has to work hard with it--and who experiences the consequences of talent/powers/special abilities.

Loved the characters, the world. I'll need to reread it when it comes out, as this was an ARC made from the uncorrected manuscript, so the voice did not come through as clearly as I know it will. So this review will chan
Gergana
Aug 29, 2015 marked it as zzz-books-not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
DNF: 50% Read from November 04 to 05, 2015

Ok, I'll be honest, Updraft is NOT a bad book. In fact, it's one of the better ones I've (almost) read.
- The World-building is phenomenal! The setting was absolutely amazing, so good that it kept me reading despite my complains!
- Beautifully written, easy to follow narrative, great action scenes!
- And no, no love triangles! (yet)

Everything else felt like a déjà vu, unfortunately. It's a YA book, so be prepared for Special Snowflake Syndrome and for the
Ken Liu
I blurbed this book:

A lovingly, carefully crafted world—an engineering marvel—filled with captivating characters whose struggles and triumphs will thrill the reader and linger long in the imagination. I want to live in the world Wilde has created!
Rob
Executive Summary: This book finished stronger than it started, and I'll probably pick up the next one, but not right away. 3.5 Stars.

Full Review
This book has been getting a lot of buzz after various award nominations (and maybe some wins?). I wasn't really interested though. It sounded Young Adult, which I don't tend to enjoy, and I'm already not a big "Steampunk" fan. I'm not sure what qualifies as steam punk exactly, but maybe that's an inaccurate description? I'll leave that someone else.
Stephanie Swint
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fran Wilde’s debut novel left me wishing for a sequel even though I knew her story was complete with this book. Wilde’s novel is a great stand alone. She created a world that could be a futuristic dystopia, but I saw it as a fantasy with its own world. In Wilde’s sky towers she has a young woman preparing for her skytest. If she passes she can become a trader, like her mother, and fly among the towers, bringing good luck, and visiting the spire. As teenagers will do from time to time, she chose ...more
Sherwood Smith
Copy provided by NetGalley

I read an earlier draft of this novel, and so engrossing I found it that I managed to get through a lot of formatting glitches and a lot of other detritus of various drafts as the publisher apparently wanted to get it out well in advance of the pub date for maximum publicity.

Well, it worked on me in this case. I could hardly wait to get my hands on a clean copy, and though I remembered the general outline of the story, I found myself falling immediately into it, coming
Mimi
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mimi by: S&L
This is one of those rare books where I think the cover artwork--this edition and the later one--is way more interesting than the story inside.

I was so looking forward to enjoying this one, but it just wasn't meant to be. There are just too many things wrong with it, so I'm amending my previous rating because I don't see what everyone sees in this book.

The bone world and the world-building is where all my issues lie. Nothing about bone towers makes any sense to me, not even when I look at it fr
Seth Dickinson
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
UPDRAFT is a story about engineering.

I don't just mean the crunchy numbers kind of engineering, like figuring out how to build bridges between towers of bone in a city thousands of feet above the clouds — although there's that, too, and it's even harder when you don't have metal. UPDRAFT is about how to engineer a society that can live in a wildly hostile place. It's about how to engineer a life in a world that feels outside your control.

Kirit Densala wants to be a trader, like her mom. If she h
Max
Jan 08, 2015 added it
Vivid, deeply affecting, mysterious. Also, WINGS. Y'all should read this one.
Amanda
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Fun fun read. Looking forward to the next one.
Robyn
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Engaging world-building, spunky main character, and for once a plot that resolves in only one book. Enjoyed!
Justine
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well written fantasy story with excellent world building, this debut novel is also a multi-layered tale about class and society. Wilde manages to do what many may have thought is the impossible, and tells this tale without the use of a love triangle.

In fact, the characters in this book all manage to interact with each other without any romantic involvement at all! *gasp*

I know it doesn't seem possible, but I assure you, it is true.

Lindsay
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A young girl with a rare talent is raised in a bizarre scarcity-society in a city of towering bone spires where flight is one of the few freedoms and giant invisible flying squids with glass teeth lurk in the sky.

Kirit is a strong-minded young girl who craves the freedom of flight as a trader between towers, but revelation that she has the type of voice that can control skymouths make her valuable to a secretive ruling class of the city. Her struggle to make her way in this world where it all se
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I'm not enthusiastic about this book. The plot is the predictable YA heroine Special Snowflake Will Save Her Society from Bad People we all know from the post-Hunger Games dystopia deluge. I went from liking the main character Kirit to hating her for being so Special Snowflake-y. She's kind of an idiot. And constantly thinks and talks in ill-thought out imperatives and emphatic nouns:

"Sacrifice. Duty. Tradition. We must save the city. We cannot fail. Speak the truth. Accept your birthright."

I ma
Gregory Frost
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Updraft is a first novel by Fran Wilde, and it’s one of the more fast and furious fantasy adventures I can recall reading, as well as one of the weirdest worlds you’re likely to encounter: where humans live upon organic, growing towers of bone, high above the clouds; and like the Thanagarian Hawkmen of DC comics, they strap on wings and fly. While the cover art on the ARC I read gives the impression of something vaguely Wright Brothers-ish, the sense of the wings in Wilde’s tale is much differen ...more
Lisa
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2015/1...

Updraft was a fun read. I really enjoyed the world and imagery of people living in towers in the sky, flying about towers with the aid of fabricated wings. It’s the coming of age story of Kirit, who discovers there is more to her world than she realized. She becomes entangled in politics and and her life has been thrust in a direction she did not expect.

I enjoyed the flying aspect and the idea of living up in the sky, but I wa
terpkristin
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another book edited by Miriam and I promise, my rating isn't because the editor is a fellow Terps fan. ;)

I really dug this book. I guess it's technically young adult, but it didn't feel like it skewed young. It's an interesting coming of age (sort of) crossed with a dystopian fantasy set in a world where people fly to get places. THEY FLY. The book is neatly divided into thirds, and each third tells a piece of the story and sets up the world.

After finishing, I'm intrigued as to what's next for
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had so much to do this weekend, but instead I spent the whole weekend reading this book. Not wasted time in the least. This is a thrilling debut novel, full of bone towers and skymouths and humans flying on well-engineered wings. Engineered. This is fantasy without magic (there are creatures WE might call magic, but I would simply call them fauna native to this particular world), a society built on tradition and Laws, but with the reasons behind many of those things lost to a more chaotic time ...more
E.C.
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I expect I will have much more to say about this book closer to its release date, but I am in love with this world! It's rare to encounter such an original and fascinating setting as this city with its living bone towers, winged citizens, and frightening sky monsters. Wilde has built a world with a detailed, believable history and society, and layered the story with intrigue, action, and compelling characters — rich with themes of tradition, progress, ambition, and class struggles that will reso ...more
Aliette
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Set in a world where towers of bone endlessly towards the heavens and traders fly on homemade wings to get vital commodities between families, and skymouths devour the unwary. Kirit dreams of being a trader like her mother, but when she finds out she has a special ability to repel skymouths, she finds herself drawn into the intrigues and secrets of the Singers' Spire, those who keep order between the towers...

Superlative world building, a very sympathetic main character (and her family, which i
Michael Underwood
One of the coolest debuts I've read in some time. The worldbuidling is nuanced, layered, and sophisticated.

Definitely recommended for fans of the New Weird, and also a good fit for fans of YA fantasy expanding into adult SF/F.

-NB I received an ARC for an honest review.

-NB Fran is a friend of mine and writing colleague (go team Tor.com Publishing!)
Trike
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016, fantasy
In one of the book group discussions someone mentioned that this felt like a first draft rather than a finished novel. That's pretty accurate.

The writing is competent, so for not being actively terrible and because she doesn't have the heroine become romantically entangled with the Supporting Boy, aka Flying Samwise Gamgee, I'll give it 2 stars.

Worldbuilding - People are raving about the worldbuilding here, which I don't understand. It's easily one of the weakest parts of the book. I suppose if
Cathy
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars for the story, but I rounded up because of the beautiful world building. It's very decidedly YA even if it doesn't seem that way from the descriptions, so don't be surprised by the lack of indications of that from the descriptions or shelving. I know that can throw some people off when they aren't expecting it. The girl is young and headstrong and trying to figure out her way through her society's coming of age rituals. It doesn't say her age but it's has to be mid-teens at best as the ...more
Pete Harris
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Updraft reminded me a little of the disturbing world building that China Miéville is known for.

There is a dystopian but fascinating City of bone towers above the clouds, the people swooping free like birds between them on silk wings, yet bound by complex and inflexible traditions and laws. There is the subtle organic horror of their homes being made of living, growing bone—bone of some unseen enormity below that periodically roars for sacrifice. And there is the more direct terror of invisible f

Ctgt
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
When you throw a YA tag at something, my early warning radar goes in to high gear. Before you jump all over me, I have read some very good books that were considered YA so they are out there....it just seems like you have to wade through a lot of crap to get to the good ones. This one surprised me, if not for it being a group pick for Sword & Laser I probably wouldn't have cracked it open.

Some great world building with interesting cultural aspects. The citizens live on towers made of living
Beth Cato
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a coming-of-age tale that is completely fresh and new because of the utter brilliance of the setting: towers made of bone and a society that relies on constructed wings for survival in the homes among the clouds. The politics are dark, the secrets deep. Kirit is a headstrong young woman who cares nothing for convention, and her agency and attitude make her a strong heroine. This book is fantastic (and a very appropriate one to read when traveling by plane, as I did).
Becky Shaknovich
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Incredibly imaginative and gripping! Fran Wilde will be visiting the Whitman Library on December 5, 2015at 3:00 p.m. I can't wait to meet her and learn about her creative process.
Squabbling Dragons: Updraft: SPOILERS 5 7 Nov 26, 2017 07:55PM
Squabbling Dragons: Updraft: SPOILER FREE 2 7 Nov 16, 2017 10:13PM
Squabbling Dragons: Updraft by Fran Wilde 3 6 Nov 08, 2017 02:25PM
Around the Year i...: Updraft, by Fran Wilde 1 8 Jul 02, 2017 02:10PM
The Sword and Laser: UD: Skymouths or Skymaws? 9 125 Jul 01, 2016 02:55PM
The Sword and Laser: UD: Finished: World Building 26 141 Jul 01, 2016 02:50PM
The Sword and Laser: UD Part 1 (Spoilers through the wingtest) 21 107 Jul 01, 2016 06:15AM
  • Last Song Before Night
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
  • The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps (The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps, #1)
  • The Sword of Rhiannon
  • The House of Shattered Wings (Dominion of the Fallen, #1)
  • A Stranger in Olondria
  • The Traitor Baru Cormorant (Baru Cormorant #1)
  • Black Wolves (Black Wolves, #1)
  • The Grace of Kings (The Dandelion Dynasty, #1)
  • Sorcerer to the Crown (Sorcerer Royal, #1)
  • Forgotten Suns
  • Radiance
  • The Destructives
  • California Bones (Daniel Blackland, #1)
  • Silver on the Road (The Devil's West, #1)
  • Cold Iron (The Malorum Gates #1)
  • Twelve Kings in Sharakhai (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #1)
  • Borderline (The Arcadia Project, #1)
Fran Wilde writes award-winning speculative fiction and fantasy. She can also tie a number of sailing knots, set gemstones, and program digital minions. She reads too much and is a friend of the Oxford comma. Her short stories appear in Asimov's, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Shimmer, Uncanny, and Tor.com.

Fran's debut novel, Updraft, was nominated for a 2015 Nebula Award, won the 2015 Andre Norton Awar
More about Fran Wilde

Bone Universe (3 books)
  • Cloudbound (Bone Universe, #2)
  • Horizon (Bone Universe, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
“On a morning like this, fear is a blue sky emptied of birds.” 5 likes
“I tried to quash my anger and fear. If I was being set up to fail, then I would fail spectacularly.” 2 likes