Start by marking “Wyrd Worlds” as Want to Read:
Wyrd Worlds

Wyrd Worlds

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
An anthology of short stories by an international collection of science-fiction and fantasy writers, covering a wide range of what is known as speculative fiction, from slices of fantasy and time travel to steampunk and science-fiction. The tales vary widely, yet are all born from the same drive to create, share ideas and above all to entertain:
TALES OF ERANA: THE BLUE PH
ebook
Published September 7th 2013 by WyrdStar

To ask other readers questions about Wyrd Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wyrd Worlds

Michael Puttonen
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Anthologies are always tough to review, as the process requires judging the work of a group of dissimilar authors as a single entity. Wyrd Worlds is a collection of stories by an international pool of science fiction and fantasy writers, all of whom are self-published. Edited by Steph Bennion, who also contributes to the collection as an author, the book includes fourteen tales of various lengths and distinctive styles. Some are clearly stand-alone short stories, and others appear as excerpts ta ...more
Ron
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was okay. Just. Barely. Normally anthologies front load good stories to set the hook, then put mediocre stuff in the middle and end with a bang. Wyrd Worldsidn't do that arguably the worst stories were the third and last. The rest were okay. Only one, "Guns of Napoleon," rose enough above the tide to merit comment.

Okay at best.
L.L. Watkin
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: watkin
It's close, but my favourite is The Invisible Invasion.
Ubiquitous Bubba
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: bubba-books
Since I am one of the contributing authors to this anthology, I will comment only on the work of the other authors.

I really enjoyed this anthology. I've always believed that you can tell practically any kind of tale within the construct of speculative fiction. The contributing authors have demonstrated this concept very well. There is something here for almost everyone. The stories vary in length, style and subject matter, but they are unitied in the common theme of untamed imagination.

Some of
Josh Karaczewski
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
I’m sure literary salons still exist in the major cities, where the literati get together and discuss their work in beautifully-lit rooms over drinks and catered treats. If invited to one of these, I would be the guy in the outermost ring of conversation, going back and forth from the buffet table to the bookshelves, listening in, probably not initiating any conversations unless I saw someone like myself pick up a book from the shelves that I had also read. If someone was taking pictures, I woul ...more
Barbara G. Tarn
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm in the anthology, so I didn't count my own story. I divided the star rating by 13 stories.
My favorites are (in no particular order - or better in the order I read them in the anthology)
The blue fial
Explain that to a martian
The Imaginary Invasion
Monday Imps
Mesrin Station
Thomas
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A series of short stories that take place in different realms. Some are introductions to other series of books. Most were at least interesting.
Frank Aaker
Wyrd Worlds is an anthology containing stories by fourteen international sci-fi and fantasy indie authors. Many of the stories did nothing for me, and typos abound, but since the book is free, I'm not complaining.

'Explain That To a Martian' by Gary Weston, and 'Kira' by Ross Harrison are both worth a five-star rating. 'The Imaginary Invasion' by Ubiquitous Bubba, and 'Casualty' by Neil Shooter are worth four-star ratings. The rest drag the overall rating down to two point seven, so I round 'Wyrd
Roger Jackson
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent science fiction anthology by a variety of good writers. I got into most of the stories and was left with wanting more. A couple of the stories could have edited a little better.
Chris Bullock
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
A nice selection of science fiction and fantasy, by as yet largely unknown authors. Anyone interested in science fiction will find some thought provoking stories here. Well done on this first anthology - I look forward to reading the second Wyrd Worlds.
Randy
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mixed bag.

There are a handful of really interesting stories in here. Skip anything that doesn't catch you in the first page or two, focus in the good stuff.
Victoria Zigler
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting collection of stories, some of which are very entertaining.
Katrina Davies
Jan 04, 2016
Peter
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Horst von Brand
May 03, 2015
Hannah
May 07, 2015
Smashwords Authors: Anthology promotion 396 105 Mar 03, 2015 09:47AM
Steph Bennion is a writer and musician, born and bred in the Black Country but now living in Hastings, England. Her science-fiction stories are written as a reaction to the dearth of alternative heroes amidst bookshelves swamped by tales of the supernatural. For every aspiring vampire or wizard, the world needs an astrophysicist, an engineer, or at the very least someone who can make the trains ru ...more
More about Steph Bennion

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99