Start by marking “Magic Most Deadly” as Want to Read:
Magic Most Deadly

Magic Most Deadly

For Maia Whitney, life after the Great War is dull, monotonous, and drab. Nursing soldiers in the bloody fields of France hadn’t been easy, but it was better than life at home, standing in her sisters’ shadows. There seems no chance for a change until the night she witnesses a murder in the woods.

The last thing Magic Intelligence Agent Lennox Davies needs is this outspoken
Paperback, 1st, 402 pages
Published September 30th 2013 by StarDance Press (first published September 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Most Deadly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Most Deadly

E.L.
Sep 07, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
This book was sheer joy to write. I had so much fun playing with both fantasy and mystery, and paying homage to some of my favorite authors (such as Agatha Christie and Dorothy L Sayers on the mystery side, and Edward Eager and Diana Wynne Jones on the fantasy side). In the end, this version of history became almost as real to me as the one that really happened.

I am looking forward to writing the next installment of Maia and Len's adventures and misadventures.
Alyssa
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really, really loved this book. It was one you can snuggle down with (equipped with some strong tea, of course) but that still keeps you turning the pages.

Maia and Lennox are thrown together by well-meaning mutual friends, but it's the murder they accidentally witness that seals the deal. They find themselves reluctant partners in the quest to stop the murderer before something worse happens. Meanwhile, family drama is on the rise and Maia's developing spark of magical talent is worrying, to
Seth Dwyer-frazier
A Fun Magical Mystery

An amusing romantic mystery. A nice mix of manners, murder, and magic. Two intriguing leads and a pleasant plot to keep everything moving.
DelAnne Frazee
Pages: 252
Genre: Mystery
Tags: Thriller, Suspense, Magic, British Detective,
Overall Rating: 4 Very Good

It is just after the Great War and America is still recovering financially and emotionally from it's toil. Maia Whitney attends the party given by her friend Julia Foy with plans to leave early. She needs to get home early to prepare the house f
Miss Clark

An enjoyable and promising start to a series set in an alternate England in the 1920's where magic exists but is kept a carefully guarded secret.

I liked Maia and appreciated her love of her family, even when it was a struggle. I can't wait to see what she does with her magical gift, especially as it is much stronger than most!

Lennox took me longer to warm up to, to be honest, but I think he will be all right. His butler/valet, though, he is a good egg!
Laura Pauling
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? I simply adored this book! A bit of Downton Abbey with a spark of magic and a dash of mystery.

Maia and Len are well-rounded characters with complications and problems but when they observe a murder together they are thrown together to solve it! Watching the two of them learn to respect each other and start to fall for each other was a joy. The writing simply made the pages turn and I grew to love all the characters, even Maia's sisters, who were completely horrible to her at tim
M.C.
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An exhilarating read. One of the few books I quite literally coukd not put down Bates combines Campion, Lord Peter and a healthy dose of magic in the character of Len. As for Maia, she had my heart at once; had Barbara Pym ever tried her hand at fantasy I feel sure Maia would have been the result. She is certainly to be numbered among the world's Excellent Women.

Thr pace is pitch perfect, humour dry, and the edit sparkles. There is just enough shade to round the book out neatly, and I am left cr
BookLover1013
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This book took me a while to really get into. It seemed slow moving in the beginning, even though the characters were well rounded and believable. Once Aunt Amelia arrived and the magic element was introduced into the story it picked up and became more interesting. The settings and themes were well crafted and I liked following along as Maia and Len's respect for each other turned into more while she learned more about her abilities and strived to help him save the world.
Jeanne Quigley
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Magic Most Deadly. I like very much that the heroine, Maia, is a smart, brave, resourceful woman. She's stubborn, but also thoughtful. There are many nice touches from the era, plus an Agatha Christie-inspired house party. The relationship between Maia and Len was engaging and there better be a follow-up (!) because the book ends with a surprising cliffhanger.
A.M. Offenwanger
Jun 02, 2018
Margaret Bond
Dec 05, 2017
chris ballantyne
rated it did not like it
Nov 18, 2018
Rosanna
Kristina Thompson
David Duncan
Sep 20, 2013
E.L. Bates is a writer of fantasy and adventure, usually (though not always) historical in nature.

When not writing, she enjoys reading, knitting, ice dancing, and spending time with her husband and two children. She is usually seen with a cup of tea in hand, and keeps a stash of dark chocolate hidden in her desk for emergency inspiration.

Perhaps as a result of reading and writing so many adventur
“Though I do admire many of her ideals, I'm afraid they are all terribly impractical for real life.” 1 likes
“Anything in your training tell you how to write to a young lady you've barely met, who witnessed a murder with you, when you want to convince her to not tell the police you both witnessed said murder?" Len asked, as much to distract Becket from the paper as for any hope his valet might be helpful.

"I don't believe that particular scenario is covered in any etiquette book I've ever seen, sir," Becket said.”
1 likes