Start by marking “Uncle Bobby's Wedding” as Want to Read:
Uncle Bobby's Wedding

Uncle Bobby's Wedding

Bobby and Jamie are getting married, but Bobby's niece Chloe is worried that she won't be his favorite person anymore. Will Uncle Bobby still think she is special? Sarah Brannen's warm story is set in an alternative family as Uncle Bobby marries his boyfriend. Uncle Bobby's Wedding embraces Bobby's relationship with Jamie, but keeps its focus where it truly belongs: on an ...more
Published March 27th 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Uncle Bobby's Wedding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncle Bobby's Wedding

Maggie Mattmiller
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Here's what I love about this book: Uncle Bobby is marrying a boy, but "gay marriage" is not brought up once. There are no questions of, can Uncle Bobby marry a boy? Why do two boys want to get married? Etc. No bullying, no questions. That has nothing to do with the plot of the book, other than the fact that there is going to a be a wedding, and it's Uncle Bobby's wedding.

It's a sweet story I think kids will be able to relate to. I remember when I was in elementary school, a close family friend
Megan
Apr 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer, children
Gay guinea pigs! In vests!
Melissa Stewart
Oct 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a charming story about a young girl, er, guinea pig who becomes concerned when she discovers that her beloved uncle is getting married. Will he still spend time with her? Luckily, Uncle Bobby isn't about to forget his favorite niece.

How could this kind of storyline concern some folks? Well, it seems Uncle Bobby is marring another male guinea pig. What is so wonderful--and controversial to some--about this story is that the same-sex marriage seems matter of fact. I look forward to the da
Joshua
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a sweet story about homosexual guinea pigs and family, what's not to love?
Danielle
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I liked this book specifically because gay marriage was not the central issue. This is a story about Chloe and her Uncle Bobby who happens to be gay. I think it's important for children to see that gay people are just like any other people. Not every book has to be about how gay people are different, or explain the difficulties of being gay. There are plenty of books like that; this one offers something else.
Destinee Sutton
Feb 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Destinee by: Rainbow List
Shelves: lgbtq, picture-books
This book is remarkable for including a gay wedding, but not really being about a gay wedding. It's mostly about a little girl who's worried that her favorite uncle won't have time for her after he gets married.
Eden
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Chloe loves her uncle Bobby, he is her favorite and they always have fun together. But when Chloe finds out that her uncle is getting married she is upset. She is worried that her uncle will no longer have time for her.

But uncle Bobby reassures Chloe that will still have fun together.

I don't think a picture book has ever brought tears to my eyes before. It is such a sweet story about the bond between a young girl and her uncle and her worrying that they won't spend time together anymore.

Bobby
babyhippoface
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
A little girl (guinea pig? hamster? I honestly don't know, but I think they're guinea pigs) is upset because her favorite Uncle, Bobby, is getting married, and she's afraid he won't have time for her anymore. Turns out, Uncle Bobby is marrying Jamie, who is also male, so she's not losing an uncle, she's gaining another uncle.

I noticed the "Family Matters" shelf in the children's section of my local library. It had a few books on same-sex marriage, so I read 'em. I wasn't impressed with any of t
Jonathan Kemmerer-Scovner
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a simple tale, told gracefully with warmth and humor, it is perhaps shocking that it remains such a controversial book.

"Bobby was Chloe's favorite uncle. They went for long walks together," Brannen writes, and there they go, the two guinea pigs, hand in hand, strolling nonchalantly through the woods, through which shafts of light pierce.

Later we see them rowing on a lake beneath the moonlit sky, and Uncle Bobby seems to be pointing out constellations to the young girl. They are truly the be
Ashley Ruman
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Uncle Bobbie's Wedding is about two male mice named Bobby and Jamie, and Bobbie's niece, Chloe who does not approve of her uncle's marriage to Jamie. I think this book would be really good for students who come from non-traditional families to read. Whether the child is raised by his/her grandparents, has a single parent, or has parents of the same sex, the student would be able to relate to the character. Although Chloe, the main character whose Uncle Bobbie is marrying someone of the same sex, ...more
Greg
Feb 24, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: other-dis
Uncle Bobby's Wedding tells the sweet story of Chloe, a young guinea pig who worries that Uncle Bobby won’t keep having fun with her after he marries his boyfriend Jamie. Uncle Bobby explains that their special times together will not end; Chloe will not be losing an uncle, but gaining one. The book ends at the wedding, with Chloe as the enthusiastic flower girl. Though this book has a total feel good message and focuses on the truth behind a homosexual relationship, two people who just love eac ...more
Josh
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
How appropriate that I discovered this book as California is heading to the polls to vote on whether or not to ban gay marriage. All those opposed to equality should be forced to read this children's book. Instead of being solely about finding out a relative is gay, this book is about feeling left out or behind. Chloe finds out her favorite uncle is getting married. She feels that she will no longer be a part of her uncle's life. Chloe talks with her uncle and is brought into his and his partner ...more
Mckenzie Quade
I will introduce diversity in my future classroom, not only in racism, but in homosexuality as well. In the generations coming up, we will see many students in our classrooms who have gay or lesbian parents. It is going to become so common so I believe children should have a correct understanding of it instead of the stereotypical understanding. Introducing it into the classroom using children's books is a great way to gradually introduce it slowly. I was a big fan of this book because it told ...more
Amy Adams
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Chloe is afraid of losing Uncle Bobby when he gets married to Jamie, but after spending some time with both of them, she realizes that maybe two uncles are better than one!
There are few children's picture books out there that positively depict homosexual role models and family members. This is a super cute one, and I think it's great for any library. Told through a family of guinea pigs, this story teaches kids that a new person coming around doesn't mean that they're going to lose someone they
Crystal
Mar 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
Mixed feelings here. I found the storyline to be a little bit of a rip off of another book published earlier Uncle Peter's Amazing Chinese Wedding. It is also a bit strange to see the whole story be about guinea pigs. Why not real people? I am happy to see diversity, but it is not my favorite. Much preferred In Our Mothers'House.
Rita
Apr 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: controversial
Chloe is having a hard time with her favorite uncle's upcoming marriage. Her Uncle Bobby and soon to be Uncle Jamie show her how much they both love her and how much fun they will have together. The author does a fantastic job in telling this valuable story.

Dawn
Apr 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Chloe's favorite uncle, Bobby, is going to get married to Jamie, and Chloe worries Bobby won't have time for her anymore. A good book for someone interested in a picture book about a same sex marriage.
Veronica Baldwin
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: controversial
Uncle Bobby's Wedding is about a young gerbil named Chloe who is terrified of her Uncle Bobby getting married because she doesn't want to be his second favorite to his spouse. Her uncle is getting married to another male gerbil named Jamie. This story focuses on the relationship of Chloe and her Uncle Bobby with him only happening to be gay. The fact that her uncle is gay is only a side note to the story, which I think is great that the story is expressing that love is love.

I really enjoy the e
Ninaad Nariani
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is challenged because uncle Bobby is gay. It talks openly about uncle Bobby marrying uncle Jaime. In the book it openly discuses a gay marriage just like a straight marriage and is very open about it. It shows and talks about them getting married in there suits. That is the reason this book is challenged.
In my opinion that is completely ridiculous. There is nothing wrong what so ever in that. You love who you love and that is it. I actually really did love this book. I will definitely
SaraKat
A cute book about a little girl who thinks that she is losing an uncle when he announces his upcoming wedding. I remember that feeling about my older sister and the author described it well. We know that the wedding is about the adults getting married, but kids tend to think of themselves as the center of the universe. :) The way Uncle Bobby reassured her and made sure she had time to get to know his future husband was a clever plan and showed he really cared. I read this book because it was men ...more
Tam
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tch_lrn-544
Uncle Bobby's Wedding is a story that tells Chloe and her Uncle Bobby. They do everything together, which Chloe enjoys spending wonderful adventures together. When she discovers that her Uncle Bobby is getting married to Jaime, Chloe is upset. She worries about Jaime taking the space that is shared between her and Uncle Bobby. As a result and spending quality time together, Uncle Bobby and Jaime asks Chloe to be a bridesmaid in their upcoming wedding. She accepts and gains another uncle in the p ...more
Kayla Boerner
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diversity
In this story, the characters are guinea pigs. Uncle Bobby and his boyfriend Jaimie are getting married and his niece Chloe worries that she wont be uncle Bobby's special person anymore. This book is about a nieces love for her uncle while normalizing gay marriage. I love how this book does not focus on the fact that its gay marriage. It does not impact what happens in the story. With the changing family dynamics in our society I think this book is one that many kids can benefit from hearing and ...more
Ashley Cernac
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: controversial
Uncle Bobby's Wedding by Sarah S. Brannen was challenged but retained by a public library in Missouri. A community memeber did not like the message of the book, but the library continued to keep the book. Chole is affraid her uncle will not be around anymore once he gets married to his partner Jaime. In the end, Chole learns she will have two Uncle's and was very excited.
The book is appropriate for young children, and there is noting wrong with the message of the book. The book shows it is okay
Sara
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for PreK children. It does a nice job of telling a story about a young mouse and her favorite uncle. The uncle is getting married to another male in the story, yet the author does not make that the focus of the story. The focus is on the relationship that this little mouse has with her uncle, and not on the marriage between two males. It is a sweet book about relationships and valuing all types of families.
Andrew
Awww, this was so cute! Chloe is initially upset when her Uncle Bobby says he's getting married (not about the fact that he's marrying his best friend Jamie), but about that the fact that Uncle Bobby will no longer be 'HER' Uncle Bobby.

The cute animal characters and beautiful illustrations flow really quickly. Its a cute story.
Brooke Milone
Chloe is close with her Uncle, but is very upset that he is getting married. She is worried because she doesn't think she will be his favorite person anymore! He explains to her not to worry, and that she will always be his favorite, and no one can ever take her place. Her uncle is marrying his best friend, who is a male and the book only talks about how happy they are, which is amazing!
Trevor
I especially love that this book is about a same-sex marriage but doesn't actually mention that it's an issue. The little girl hamster (guinea pig?) just wants to make sure that her Uncle Bobby will still have time to spend with her after he gets married. But she's happy to know that she will have ANOTHER uncle!
Jennifer B.
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As another reviewer has pointed out, this has gay guinea pigs in vests. What's not to love? It's also just a really sweet story that focuses on the little girl's relationship with her uncle, rather than focusing on her uncle being gay. Also it's page after page of adorable, anthropomorphic guinea pigs!! 5 stars! *****
Yue
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! Easy to read along, the focus is on the little (hamster!) niece not wanting to loose her favourite uncle now that he's getting married. We absolutely loved the normalcy of it, as this is how we're going to explain our own union to our kids.

It is lovely and the art is simple, beautiful countryside watercolours.
Amanda Walz
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This story is all about Chloe and her favorite Uncle Bobby who is getting married and she is worried that she will lose her favorite Uncle. Instead she learns that she won't lose Uncle Bobby but gain an Uncle Jamie.
« previous 1 3 4 next »