Start by marking “All the Bright Places” as Want to Read:
All the Bright Places

All the Bright Places

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  202,031 ratings  ·  25,634 reviews
The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park in this exhilarating and heart-wrenching love story about a girl who learns to live from a boy who intends to die.

Soon to be a major motion picture starring Elle Fanning!

Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Published January 6th 2015 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about All the Bright Places, please sign up.
Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ Campbell It's pretty similar to FAULT IN OUR STARS. Two teens meet by happenstance. Both are so quirky and contrived it hurts. They connect over a work of…moreIt's pretty similar to FAULT IN OUR STARS. Two teens meet by happenstance. Both are so quirky and contrived it hurts. They connect over a work of pretentious literature (Virginia Woolf in this case), which they proceed to quote at each other throughout the whole book. Both try to make a serious illness lighthearted, but whereas Green manages to somewhat capture the closeness of the cancer community, Finch is relentlessly bullied for his mental illness -- without consequence. (There's this disgusting scene with the school paper, where his school prints an article called "Students most likely to commit suicide..." or something like that. Goes unpunished, nobody talks about why it's wrong.) I also didn't like how suicide and suicidality is painted as this reckless, romantic, brave "I'll show you"-type thing, because that's not how it is at all. The ending...well, you can see it coming. At least I did. In my opinion, TFIOS and AtBP are pretty similar, except one's a washed out copy of the other. I'm so tired of this Neo-Byronic bullcrap where every Tom, Dick, and Harry love interest in YA/NA has to have some deep-seated (and ill-portrayed) issue.(less)
Susan Yes, received and have read this amazing story. I fell in love with Finch myself. His patience for Violet and his attention to detail throughout the…moreYes, received and have read this amazing story. I fell in love with Finch myself. His patience for Violet and his attention to detail throughout the story will be remembered. This story will stay with me for a long time. I hope that it's message will reverberate with many teens on both sides of the black hole.(less)
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,468 books — 8,856 voters
Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
YA Debuts 2015
442 books — 3,378 voters

More lists with this book...

C.G. Drews
I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO FUNCTION RIGHT NOW. I HAVE JUST READ THE MOST BRILLIANT AND HEART-RIPPING STORY OF THE UNIVERSE. How do I do words?! How do I explain how much I'm feeling right now? I think I could cry and sing all at once, but mostly cry. Just know this very very truthful fact: This is the most incredible book I have read. It's probably my favourite contemporary in the world. I can't....I just...I need a moment.

I love this book. You know how it's compared to Eleanor & Park and Th
Emily May
Jan 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Hmm, so there's a girl whose name is a colour (Violet) and a boy whose name makes him sound like he burst from the pages of a Dickens' novel (Theodore Finch) and they're both super quirky, intelligent and know the names of a bunch of dead poets. Then there's that whole death thing hanging over this novel... why does it feel like I've read this before?

Err...

Oh, right.

Okay... so don't you just hate it when reviewers try to tell you what you should or shouldn't read? And they make universal stateme
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
*EDIT*

Full review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQBq...

I don't even know what to say... I'm sure the words will come, and at that point I'll try to film a review. But for now I'll just think about a million and one things.
My gosh <3

Review copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Raeleen Lemay
Jan 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
the characters weren't people, just mental illnesses put into bodies. "quirky" but in reality mentally ill. not cool. nobody treated the characters' problems like they were real problems and that pissed me offfff

however, if you enjoyed the book/could relate to the characters, that's totally fine. this one just wasn't for me unfortunately.
Ben Alderson
CHANGED
ME
Jr Bacdayan
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fuck. I’m a glorified classics guy but what the hell happened here. I cried. Fuck. I rarely go for YA trust me; I’m a condescending jackass who’s read one too many books. Usually I never even touch these kinds of sappy stuff, I basically hate the genre. I don’t like John Green. Fuck the Fault In Our Stars overrated sack of shit. But I don’t know why this book got through to me. For one thing, it doesn’t condescend, it doesn’t sound corny, it doesn’t try too hard. The thing about adults writing Y ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
$1.99 on Kindle US 1/28/18

This is one of the best books I have ever read. I'm going to say a lot of personal things on here then go on with the review which will include spoilers, but I will put up the spoiler alert before I do. I also want to add some quotes from the book and the author's note at the end.

This book is about teen suicide and bullying. But, it's also about some wonderful people, happy moments and a bit of crazy-wonderful.

When I was young I was bullied in school most of my life.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Sep 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Seeing other people's reviews on this book that I really trust made me realise a lot of things that I don't really agree with. Right at the time I was reading this, I felt like I could really relate to the main characters and their depression and I think that's why I thought I loved it so much and why I somehow overlooked some really concerning things. It's kind of written in a way that the characters are nothing but their illnesses, if that makes any sense. It felt like there was nothing else t ...more
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”I know life well enough to know you can’t count on things staying around or standing still, no matter how much you want them to. You can’t stop people from dying. You can’t stop them from going away. You can’t stop yourself from going away either. I know myself well enough to know that no one else can keep you awake or keep you from sleeping.”

I honestly don’t know how I’m supposed to write a review about this book.
It made me so damn sad that I feel whatever I say, it just won’t be enough.
It wil
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
First things first. In the blurb of this book it says..The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park. That should go. I liked both those books in their own right. This book should and does stand on it's own. It's better than that.

This review may go all spoilery and too much personal information. Be warned.
My writing of reviews have been said to be Awkward..fuck that. I'm going all in on this one. If I can get one person that needs to read this book to read it through my review..it's worth it.

"M
Wendy Darling
I think this may end up being a DNF for me; consider this a prelimary reaction as I put it on hold. I've only read a few chapters so far, but I'm struggling with the quirky/cute style married with a subject as serious as suicide. I mean, are we going to see self-mutilation or child abuse or domestic violence or homophobia painted with cotton candy colors next? This is one of those set-ups (girl meets boy as they're both standing on a ledge contemplating suicide, rat-a-tat precocious-funny dialog ...more
Jasmine
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone. A MUST-READ in life.
Recommended to Jasmine by: Nalani

This is my secret---that any moment I might fly away.

Somehow I think 5 stars aren’t enough for such an ultra-remarkey-able book; if I can, I’ll definitely give it as many stars as those shining in the entire universe because All The Bright Places deserves them all, seriously.

For starters, I actually like the way Theodore Finch met Violet Markey---on the ledge six stories above the ground at the Bell Tower in their high school on a rainy day---it's a rather beautiful encounter for me.

Theodore
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Jan 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned, contemporary
Updated- 2015-07-02
This book has been bothering me for a while in all honesty. I thought I loved it when I first read it, I really did, but honestly I think I was caught up in all the hype. What Raeleen (padfootandprongs07 on YouTube) said has really stuck with me: the characters become their illness. And while depression really is all consuming and can make you feel like you're made up of not molecules but sadness, I feel that a book about depression should show that there is more to people tha
Charlotte May
“My beloved boat
is broken on the rocks of daily life.
I’ve paid my debts
and no longer need to count
pains I’ve suffered at the hands of others.
The misfortunes and the insults.
Good luck to those who remain.”

I was not prepared for this emotional upheaval! A damn good YA contemporary that deals with the complex issues around suicide. It is something that so many of us have dealt with first hand, I myself know two people who have committed suicide before I’ve even turned 25.

“We are all alone,
Darth J
Jan 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: disappointing

Where to begin? I heard great things about this but I should have stayed away.

Violet
I feel like she only really existed here to be the emotional component of this book. She's used as a prop mostly and a prize, yet I never saw her as having any personality beyond just being a sounding board. There is plenty of woe is me/my sister died so I use that as an excuse to hide from life from this character. She just felt insubstantial to me, her only purpose being to tell the readers about the emotional
Lola
description

Finch and Violet are two very different persons. She is popular, down to earth and is trying to please everyone. He’s the ‘‘Freak’’, careless and doesn’t know or acknowledge how the many things he does every day might hurt people around him. (Or maybe he does, and that is why he is lying to everyone about his deepest feelings, but I couldn't know for sure. Was there more to it, or just his personality?) Yet, they both have something in common: When at night, neither of them sleeps peacefully. Vi
Brian Yahn
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All the Bright Places is the story of how Theodore Finch and Ultraviolet are brought together by death--which would be gloomy, except the two personalities bloom, becoming something beautiful, as their wondrous adventures bring them closer together. Jennifer Niven takes a girl meets boy story, sets it in the dull landscape of Indiana, and turns it into a Seussical wonderworld with these extraordinarily conflicted characters.

Saying their journey is a rollercoaster would be a understatement. It's
Sarah Churchill
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then you find a book that not only makes you think, but changes the way you look at the world. 'All the Bright Places', in all its clever, poetic and honest beauty is one of those books. It will stay with me, forever.
Thomas

I would rate Jennifer Niven's author note five stars if I could. We need more books about mental illness; authors should strive to tackle uncomfortable subjects like abuse, suicide, and bipolar disorder. While Niven's intentions come across as meaningful and good, her delivery through her first YA novel, All the Bright Places, falls short. Some reasons why:

1: These characters have QftSoQ (Quirkiness for the Sake of Quirkiness) syndrome. They - in particular, Finch - read as caricatures
Katty
Ugh. Just, no. Mental illness is not a cute little quirk. It isn't something that kickstarts a misfit, high school romance. It is not something that automatically makes you more witty, or intelligent, or really all that different from your peers. It isn't at all what is portrayed in this book. Niven's intentions may be wonderful, and she is right that we need more books about mental health and illness. But this makes a mockery of it. Please, YA authors, don't touch this topic unless you know wha ...more
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
Is today a good day to die?

All the Bright Places turned out to be one of the most personal books of the year for me. Although it's being marketed as "The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park", I have to violently disagree. As someone who detested The Fault in Our Stars and hasn't read Eleanor and Park, All the Bright Places touched something inside me that these books did not.

Theodore Finch, seventeen, wants to die. He knows the best ways to commit suicide, as well as the international
Christy
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!

description

This year instead of having New Years resolutions I won’t keep, I decided to make book goals and one of those goals was to read more YA. 25 is my goal for the year. This was the first on my list this year and it blew me away! For real, I had ALL THE FEELS while reading this. Powerful, memorable, smart, funny, sad, real… this book was completely authentic and moving.

description

There were so many ‘quotable’ things in this book. I just want to talk about the story so much but I went in blind and lov
Nick
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
description
4.5 STARS ACTUALLY.SO FREAKING WORTH READING.IT'S AN ART.THERE IS NO NEED FOR MORE WORDS.
JV
Horribly pretentious, overtly ostentatious, and highly deleterious! Niven concocts a controversial narrative about suicide and mental illness with the intention of bringing forth light into all the darkest places yet the way she handles/executes this story is both disheartening and callous to those who are facing their everyday "black holes and blue holes and bottomless bodies of water and exploding stars and event horizons, and a place so dark that light can’t get out once it’s in."

Bartlett, In
Whitney Atkinson
I can't even scramble my thoughts together for a review. Unrealistic and incredibly irritating. None of the characters' actions made sense. The only time I liked the story is whenever Theo's depression (????) was triggered and he became aloof and dissociated, because that was more tolerable than his annoying antics leading Violet on and perpetuating this "Theodore Freak" label at school. As a reader, I feel really guilty that the only parts of this book that I enjoyed were the parts that the cha ...more
Natalie Monroe

"He smiles out at the ugly trees and the ugly farmland and the ugly kids as if he can see Oz. As if he can really, truly see the beauty that's there. In that moment I wish I could see it through his eyes. I wish he had glasses to give me."

Can someone give me their glasses too, because I can't see it. I don't see the appeal. I don't see what inspired thousands of reviewers to post sobbing gifs, and those that disliked The Fault in Our Stars to tote it as amazeballs when it's the exact
Giselle
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
This is the sort of story that kinda sneaks up on you. You're not sure what kind of book it is at first - especially if you're like me and don't brush up on the blurb beforehand. It seems intense and gritty and even a tad confusing. You notice right away that the characters are definitely messed up with deep rooted issues they need to work on. Then there's romance and profound conversations and soul searching and what seems to be a light at the end of this dark, dreary tunnel. Then, BAM!

BAAAAAM!
Deanna
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow...what a great book!

Theodore Finch and Violet Markey first meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school. Finch very gently talks Violet off of the very ledge he himself was thinking of leaping off. After a bit of pushing on Finch's part the two pair up to "Wander" together exploring their state for a school project.

It seems like opposites attract for the two unlikely friends. While Violet is counting the days until graduation Finch is counting his "Awake" days. Right away I loved Finch, w
Debra
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Wow Wow and Wow

I often feel weird about saying how much I enjoy a book especially given the subject matter. But here goes.....I really enjoyed this book! It's funny, sad, heartbreaking, endearing and beautifully written.

Theodore is constantly thinking of ways to kill himself. Violet is counting the days until she graduates and can leave her hometown behind (and hopefully her grief over her sister's death). They know of each other but meet while both are standing on top of a bell tower c
All the Bright Places- Evvie Cleveland 1 3 Dec 05, 2018 11:35AM
Evvie's Book Review 1 1 Nov 30, 2018 09:09PM
Mental Health Boo...: All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven 3 38 Nov 26, 2018 07:11PM
Thoughts After finishing the book 87 636 Nov 17, 2018 07:08AM
  • All American Boys
  • Mosquitoland
  • Dumplin'
  • What We Saw
  • Denton Little's Deathdate (Denton Little #1)
  • Say What You Will
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
  • Pieces of Sky
  • Stand-Off (Winger, #2)
  • Not After Everything
  • Threatened (Ape Quartet #2)
By the time I was ten, I had already written numerous songs, a poem for Parker Stevenson ("If there were a Miss America for men, You would surely win"), two autobiographies (All About Me and My Life in Indiana: I Will Never Be Happy Again), a Christmas story, several picture books (which I illustrated myself) featuring the Doodle Bugs from Outer Space, a play about Laura Ingalls Wilder's sister en ...more
“You are all the colors in one, at full brightness.” 2078 likes
“The thing I realize is, that it's not what you take, it's what you leave.” 1910 likes