Start by marking “Changing Gears: A Pedal-Powered Detour from the Rat Race” as Want to Read:
Changing Gears: A Pedal-Powered Detour from the Rat Race

Changing Gears: A Pedal-Powered Detour from the Rat Race

Published September 1st 2013 by Affirm Press

To ask other readers questions about Changing Gears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changing Gears

Start your review of Changing Gears: A Pedal-Powered Detour from the Rat Race
Katie
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
A young couple start to think about what really matters to them, and after years of idle discussions after work in their Melbourne share house, decide to look into ways of changing how they live to be happy. They embark on a cycling trip that spans from Melbourne all the way up to Cairns (via Tassie), encountering a number of interesting characters and different levels of self sustaining lifestyle along the way.
This book was an interesting one for me right now, and early on I was interested in
Aderyn Wood
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book makes you shift perspective about the way we live - a truly life-changing read!
Tc
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I have done an unusual thing (for me) and read two books at the same time. Changing Gears by Greg Foyster and Running Away from home by Jane de Teliga. They were both able to be read and put down and returned to easily. I feel compelled to review them together as there were uncanny similarities, and yet worlds apart.

So Jane escaped life to Europe, a life she knew from her work travels. Greg escaped the rat race with his girlfriend to cycle up the east coast of Australia (with a detour via
Vanessa
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love simple living and learning all I can about it so this book was a quick, informative and enjoyable read for me. The book has also inspired me to use my own bike more, although I'm not ready yet to do a tour of eastern Australia but who knows what the future holds. This is a huge improvement as I've hardly ever touched a bike since high school, but today I rode 10km between towns plus more while running errands all day. I love how I get from place to place much quicker than walking or ...more
David
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cleanskin
I liked it. Very easy to read and a bit nerdish but I guess that is what the author is claiming to be. I realise that there is far more to many of the characters to what is presented in the book and a brief visit to each place will reveal the positives rather than the negatives so was happy with what I read. I have actually interviewed subjects in the book and there can be a darker side to some, but that is life. Over all I agree with what Foyster is trying to convey especially the idea that we ...more
Gervy
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rl, oz, enviro
This book was gifted to me by the author... the first time that's ever happened!

I have ZERO interest in cycling but fortunately this is not heavy on the bikey details of the cycling trip. What I liked most about this book was the self-deprecating humour and vulnerability, and the fact that Greg and Sophie actually made real changes to their lifestyle as a result of their journey - there was more inspiration for me in their own lifestyle adjustments then in the stories of the people they
Miro
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wonderful read full of adventures and laughs. However funny it was you'd be mistaken if you thought Changing Gears has no substance. Laced with insights, face the facts stats and motivation on what to do about it. Greg is however no theorist he did the hard miles and the hard changes but you'll have to read the book to see what they are.

I loved it.
Miro
Elizabeth
The author and his girlfriend cycle from Melbourne to Cairns exploring ideas of living more simply along the way. I read it, mostly, for the cycle touring aspect. I liked most of it and I already lead a fairly simple life, albeit nothing compared with some who they meet along the way. It was enjoyable to read and thought provoking as well.
Deb
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous read. Full of information about people views of how we can each play a part in protecting our planet from things such as climate change, pollution and over consumption by just living simply. Narrated with humor and in simple form, felt like I was riding along side of them all the way.
Kath Parker
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. I little investigation into some mainstream sustainable ideas.
Anna Brones
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a smart look at how we live, and what we individually can do to change our course in life. Greg is a humorous yet insightful writer. I hope we hear more from him in the future!
Peter Cock
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just finished. Loved the clear, honest, reflective and accessible story telling that helped the reader to join in your challenging message. Thank you
Sara Raymond
Adrian
Jun 17, 2017
Mugunth Subramanian
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Informative and Inspiring book. It made me to think seriously about leading a simple life with less damage to our environment through our lifestyle.
David Enticott