Start by marking “Triumphs and Turbulence: My Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Triumphs and Turbulence: My Autobiography

Triumphs and Turbulence: My Autobiography

Chris Boardman is the 2017 winner of the Cross Sports Cycling Book of the Year for his autobiography Triumphs and Turbulence.

You may know him as the much-loved co-presenter of ITV’s Tour de France coverage or enjoyed his BBC Olympic coverage, but beyond the easy charm Chris Boardman is one of our greatest, most inspiring cyclists.

Boardman’s lone achievements in the 80s an
Published June 2nd 2016 by Ebury Press (first published June 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Triumphs and Turbulence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Triumphs and Turbulence

Start your review of Triumphs and Turbulence: My Autobiography
Gumble's Yard
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Self-deprecating and insightful autobiography – perhaps stronger on things like the “Secret Squirrel” role, his lack of self-confidence and struggles with post-success (after both the Olympic medal, hour record and Tour prologue) than on his professional career (which, other than prologue victories – recounted in detail – rarely goes beyond simple facts of positions in races).

John Armstrong
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really really enjoyed reading this book and learnt a lot too as I hadn’t realised how successful and pioneering CB has been. I love cycling, which helps and I love stories of the old days... particularly the development of GB cycling nd how it’s gone from nothing to Amazing... and CB was a key player in that. Chris tells his story with wit and an eye on realism founded in what he sees has his own failings as a person... but he’s c9me out the other side. Great stuff.
Hannah Woodhead
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, great insight into Chris’s cycling career and behind the scenes in British cycling.

Really enjoyed the writing style and the stories.

Unfortunately a story had me silently crying laughing at a hotel breakfast yesterday which caused a waiter to ask if I was upset....

Highly recommend
Ivor Kovic
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Rarely did it grip forcing me to keep reading. Some parts are better than the others. For me the second half focusing on his career after active pro cycling was more interesting. Overall quite flat. At times feels like just a bit more that his Wikipedia page.
Dan Cohen
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, sport
A very good sporting autobiography from a very interesting sportsman. Boardman's renowned dry wit comes through very well. It's very readable too. Thoroughly recommended to cycling fans but it also has some interesting material on management.
Gary Middleton
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book.

In this book Chris uses the same sense of humour the he has in his TV work. I can remember all of his pro career and it was good to be reminded of the good and bad times.
Jane Shaw
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book, made me a chuckle a lot, Chris Boardman comes across as a very driven but genuine bloke. I've always liked him on TV and this just reinforces my view of him
Chris Wilby
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Most of the story we already knew from the top British timetrialist to a designer of Halfords premium brand of road bikes.
simon gibbs
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

Very interesting read about someone who has done so much for British cycling and is an unsung hero of the recent success
MARK IRELAND
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great, easy to read book. An interesting insight into the way one of GB's great athletes thinks. The balance of content from athletic career through to innovator and commentator is spot on.

If you're a cycling fan you'll love it. If you a general sports fan, it's also probably one of the better reads out there!
Jamie Bowen
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
A fascinating insight into pro cycling as well as the all conquering British Cycling team, it's an open and honest book and goes way beyond the standard sports autobiography. If there was one criticism it would be that I feel issues such as drugs in cycling and the campaign to improve roads and cycling in the UK were only briefly touched upon.
Steve Fagg
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting, no-nonsense read. Covers Boardman's whole active cycling career, his work afterwards as a TV pundit, his role developing equipment for Britsh Cycling and the creation of the Boardman Bikes brand. Accessible, honest and candid, this was a perfect vacation read.
Kevin Davison
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very interesting book, about his (almost passive) involvement in some key cycling events and accomplishments in cycling in the past two decades. Would thoroughly recommend it.
Daijw

• The Racer: Life on the Road as a Pro Cyclist
  • Shut Up, Legs!: My Wild Ride On and Off the Bike
  • Racing Through the Dark
  • The Climb: The Autobiography
  • The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
  • The Tour According to G: My Journey to the Yellow Jersey
  • Boy Racer: My Journey to Tour de France Record-Breaker
  • How I Won the Yellow Jumper: Dispatches from the Tour de France
  • Faster: The Obsession, Science and Luck Behind the World's Fastest Cyclists
  • Dare to Tri: My Journey from the BBC Breakfast Sofa to GB Team Triathlete
  • Inside Team Sky: The Inside Story of Team Sky and Their Challenge for the 2013 Tour de France
  • Cav: At Speed
  • Three Weeks, Eight Seconds: The Epic Tour de France of 1989
  • Behind the Mask: My Autobiography
  • How Cav Won the Green Jersey: Short Dispatches from the 2011 Tour de France
  • The Secret Cyclist: Real Life as a Rider in the Professional Peloton
  • 101 Damnations: Dispatches from the 101st Tour de France
Christopher Miles Boardman, MBE, is a British former racing cyclist who won an individual pursuit gold medal at the 1992 Summer Olympics, broke the world hour record three times, and won three stages and wore the yellow jersey on three separate occasions at the Tour de France. In 1992, he was awarded an MBE for services to cycling.