Start by marking “Good Talk, Dad: The Birds and the Bees...and Other Conversations We Forgot to Have” as Want to Read:

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  411 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
From popular TV hosts and bestselling authors Bill and Willie Geist, a hilarious testament to the special nature of father-son relationships.

In GOOD TALK, DAD, this talented father-son team shares stories of their funny and heartwarming relationship. Told in a unique back-and-forth banter style, this extended conversation riffs on everything from music and sports to summer
Published May 20th 2014 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Good Talk, Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Talk, Dad

jaxnsmom
Jul 31, 2014 jaxnsmom rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book and one day I would like to listen to the authors narrating it. It's an entertaining look at the relationship between the father and son, with each providing their viewpoint on issues they never discussed, and on various family events. Reading about Willie's childhood, you feel like it had to be the best childhood experience ever, or were grateful you didn't grow up anywhere near these people. The banter between these two men is evidence of their close relation ...more
Andie
Jun 13, 2014 Andie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Bill Geist's human interest features on "CBS Sunday Morning" where he reports on quirky and sometimes totally bizarre slices of American life from the Santa Claus University to the convention of antique toaster collectors. And I also see Willie Geist almost every morning as I watch "Morning Joe" on MSNBC and read the morning papers. Yet somehow I never made the connection that they were father and son (yes I know, I'm a little slow on the uptake).

This breezy little read is their collabor
Diane
Jun 13, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bill Geist has been doing pieces for CBS Sunday Morning for years. He usually profiles interesting (quirky) people and places, and his sense of humor makes me smile. His son Willie Geist is currently one of the co-hosts on the third hour of the Today Show, and is featured on MSNBC's Morning Joe. He clearly inherited his father's sense of humor.

Just in time for Father's Day, they have written a book that I dare say most of us can relate to: Good Talk Dad: The Birds and The Bees...And Other Conver
Debbie
Sep 23, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
For years, I have enjoyed Bill Geist because of his wonderful, warm, and light-hearted contributions to CBS Sunday Morning. This book is a continutation of that style and it is obvious that the apple does not fall far from the tree when you hear Willie Geist share his side of the story.

This was a fun read (or listen) and had many laugh out loud moments....especially Bill's conversation about the Rolling Stones in about Chapter 10.

Enjoy!!!
Linda
I have long enjoyed Bill Geist and his sense of humor through his pieces on CBS. His son, Willie is now a regular on NBC's Today Show. I was excited to see this book available in audio, each author narrating his own part.
The premise of the book is having the talks that father and son should have had. They didn't. Until now.
There are many good chuckle moments, but mostly there's a lot of reminiscing, maybe even some revealing individual secrets. Mostly there is evidence of a lot of love and mutu
Lisa B.
Jan 25, 2015 Lisa B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
Very nicely done.
Nancyann
I wanted to love this book since I enjoy all of Bill Geist's work. It is worth the read but not a great book. The described family dynamics were entertaining to a point but I found myself disliking son Willie. Casual and what are meant to be funny references to his adolescent rule breaking, run ins with the law (that father Bill always gets him out of), and excessive drinking got old. We learn in an amusing way that while Bill worked hard to earn his success, son Willie sort of fell into it. Th ...more
Karen
Nov 22, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laugh out loud funny! The famous (?) father and son duo, Bill and Willie Geist, recall numerous tales of Willie 's childhood: sports, teen and pre-teen antics, family gatherings and outings, and of course the talks that never really happened. Though my own childhood and experiences raising my own children pale in comparison, I found some things to directly relate to. But mostly I simply enjoyed the pleasure of the Geist family stories. If you have a daily commute or are anticipating a car trip, ...more
Mediaman
May 30, 2016 Mediaman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
This is supposed to be a back-and-forth between a father and son, and covers some very mature topics. It is written in the ironic joking style that Bill Geist is known for, and for some of the book that works. But there are sections where it seems inappropriate. Underage teen drinking, in particular, is nothing to joke about without a strong anti-drinking message. Here they treat it like a right and both act like it's no big deal. The dad not only thinks it's okay, but he allowed it openly in hi ...more
Susie
Jul 14, 2014 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would be hard to count how many times I laughed while reading this book. It's very interesting to note the contrast in reviews between those more familiar with Bill (ie. older) and Willie (ie. younger). I wished at times that it had been a little more linear (I think that's just my chronological craving), but it covered so much territory. I think one of my favorite stories was about Willie and his mom trying to get the old red jeep down to Vanderbilt in a snowstorm. It's a miracle they made i ...more
Pam Fairchild
Jun 24, 2014 Pam Fairchild rated it really liked it
This book was a gift from Willie Geist after I replied to a Tweet inquiring about fathers. I have been a long time fan of Bill Geist watching him on CBS Sunday Morning but I never realized that the guy (Willie) I watched on Morning Joe & Way Too Early was his son until I received the book. Call it a long senior moment. I became a fan of Willie's a few years ago. This book is an honest & open discussion of their lives together and a great look into the youth of two very funny guys. I thin ...more
Bill
Jun 04, 2014 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unfamiliar/Unaware of Bill Geist and his career as a tele-journalist, but more familiar with Willie since his addition to The Today Show. While at first, I wasn't a fan of Willie, I have come to appreciate his presence and personality.

I learned of this book when the two Geist men appeared on The Today Show to promote its release. From the brief insights they shared, it seemed it would be an amusing read, and it most certainly is that.

It begins in a more conversational, back-and-forth, sort of po
Tiffany
Feb 18, 2016 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really haven't seen the Geists on tv, but I thought the premise of father/son essays to each other and about growing up was interesting. Turns out to be some really humorous, precious stories about a family that really loves each other. The second half of the book really clinched it. Laugh out loud funny at times. Good read.
Prairiesue
Father and son news reporters describe their take on life from their own perspectives. Subjects include fatherhood, music, sports, holidays, summer camp, and the memories of family life. Sometimes entertaining, other times rather boring.
Connie D
Feb 06, 2016 Connie D rated it it was amazing
I loved the way this father and son duo corresponded about their lives, talking about issues they'd never talked about face-to-face. What's so charming about this book is how much fun these two men had with each other, how much love shines through, and their comedic points of view.

What a wonderful gift this book must have been to both father and son, and to the rest of the family.

The audio narration is delightful, hearing their voices and the laughter in their voices. but the book is full of a
Kathy Saunders
Jul 15, 2014 Kathy Saunders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In GOOD TALK, DAD, Bill and Willie finally tackle the big subjects that they didn't quite get around to while Willie was growing up, telling their story through a witty, back-and-forth exchange that showcases their comedic storytelling skills while documenting a unique familial bond. As they laugh together at the shared journey of their relationship, Bill and Willie riff on fatherhood, music, sports, holidays, summer camp disasters, and the memories of a WONDERFUL-and WONDERFULLY odd-family lif ...more
Jim
Along with Jeanne Moos, Charles Kuralt, and a few other television humorists, I much looked forward to the reports by Bill Geist. His soft type of humor and wit is displayed here, along with that of his son, as they look back together, giving slighlty different versions of the same quirky events of their collective family life. Clearly the son and father get along. many of the stories are funny and remarkably familiar, as they could be just about any suburban kid of the time. I really enjoyed th ...more
Allen Murphey
A fun, entertaining, touching book that may well leave you feeling that your childhood was a bit lacking. Geist the Elder and Geist the Younger share their love of their family and of each other and share the high points of growing up, of careers, and of childrearing. A quick, easy, fondly-crafted read you're sure to enjoy.

Dinner at the Geist home must have been wonderful.

>>Support independent bookstores by buying real books from real stores where you can talk with real booksellers.<<
Dee
Jul 10, 2014 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Geist father-son team share stories about growing up, family relations, sports and life. It is a delightful, warm, funny read that makes you value your own family and maybe be a bit envious of their relationship. The purpose of the book was to be a document of their history, as Bill Geist has been diagnosed with parkinson's disease.

It would make a good gift for someone looking for a lighter read, full of human interest features.
Jon
Aug 13, 2014 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story. I love the Geist sense of humor and their obvious fondness for each other, when one talks about the other the pride they feel is obvious. I was listening to it in the car when Bill was talking about the birds and the bees and a friend telling him about the older girl next door and her boyfriend, this was when they were kids.
"He touched her sweater."
"Where?"
"In her driveway."
Angie
Apr 07, 2016 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, easy to read book of a funny father-son relationship- I finished it in less than 4 hours. I watch the Today show and CBS Sunday Morning. Both father and son are modest, caring, loving men who follow their own silly, spontaneous path. So many of Willie's stories about being a child of the 1980s is familiar and made me laugh out loud more than once. Recommend to literally anybody.
Anne
Aug 23, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining look at both sides of the father-son relationship of two well-known faces. Although it is jarring to read the on-tv-straight-arrow Willie using four letter words (clashing worlds!), the emotional depth of the discussion of father Bill's time in Vietnam and his Parkinson's diagnosis brings real humanity to the humor. And I think I'd like to have a drink with Christina!
Johnvano
Apr 23, 2016 Johnvano rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Authored by beloved CBS This Morning contributor Bill Geist and his son Willie (who I'd never heard of before), this collection of growing-up-together stories appears to have been a source of great fun and bonding. Unfortunately it's less fun for the reader. Certainly there are highlights (Bill's career notes, his Parkinson's revelation) and some moments played for laughs (especially their Geist date in history bits), but mostly it results in a dry vanity project.

I seriously question their form
Daryl
Jul 04, 2014 Daryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A disarmingly warm and funny dialogue between a father and son that is not out to shock or titillate, but only to share each of their recollections of growing up in ordinary, loving, supportive families. And, yes, they still exist in spite of the so-called reality shows that make a mockery of what is the most important influence and asset that any person can experience and keep inside of them until the day that they die. Thank you to the Geists for sharing.
Teresa
Sep 17, 2015 Teresa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
I read this one as a short story book, so I took awhile to finish. This book is told fom a parental view of Bill Geist and then the child perspective of Willie Geist. Both were Hilarious! These guys are so funny when telling your basic daily life happenings. Yet, in the next chapter/story they could almost bring tears with a sensitive life event, such as the time Bill served in Vietnam war.
There were a few times it dragged some for me, simply because I was reading an exciting novel at the time.
Linda Mathews
Jun 12, 2014 Linda Mathews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Friends, I saw Bill and Willie Geist at our local bookstore. Maybe not Hilary, Kerry, but they were so much fun. This book will bring back many memories ie. driving in the front seat of a car without any child restraints. Father and son share their thoughts on the same family stories. Funny and light.I love the two of them.
Carolyn Leshyn
Sep 08, 2014 Carolyn Leshyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: langley
What a good read. Thoroughly enjoyable!

Bill Geist is a long-time favorite as a writer and correspondent for CBS Sunday Morning. Willie too, is making his way in the same fields. Both are so likeable and seem to have a wonderful relationship.

The book is written in an alternate banter manner on such things as family like, summer camp, sports, religion, hosting on TV, etc.

They cover funny topics as well as more serious ones all written within the realm of their relatioship.

They even cover the Illin
Ryan
Aug 09, 2014 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Geists are both prolific story-tellers and humorists. I wouldn't be surprised if Will Geist is hosting Saturday Night Live sometime in the next few years. Their chemistry is hilarious and writing is fun. It's an easy book to read, and you can get through it without even realizing it.
AnnieM
Jul 12, 2014 AnnieM rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yep I would drop everything and listen to this again and again.

It is funny in typical Giest way, with humility and totally basic mundane things. Well not totally mundane, I mean what person buses kids in to a high school beer party? Oh yeah this guy.

It was the perfect book for me at the perfect time.
  • Hometown Tales: Recollections of Kindness, Peace and Joy (Porch Talk series, #3)
  • The Episcopal Handbook
  • Composing a Further Life: The Age of Active Wisdom
  • Conversations with Mom: An Aging Baby Boomer, in Need of an Elder, Writes to Her Dead Mother
  • The Big Shift: Navigating the New Stage Beyond Midlife
  • The Burden of Sympathy: How Families Cope with Mental Illness
  • Graham Greene: A Life in Letters
  • Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free
  • Invitations from God: Accepting God's Offer to Rest, Weep, Forgive, Wait, Remember and More
  • My Prairie Cookbook: Memories and Frontier Food from My Little House to Yours