Start by marking “Dog Gone, Back Soon (Cyrus Mills, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dog Gone, Back Soon (Cyrus Mills, #2)

Dog Gone, Back Soon

(Cyrus Mills #2)

When Dr. Cyrus Mills returned home after inheriting his estranged father's veterinary practice, The Bedside Manor for Sick Animals, the last thing he wanted was to stay in Eden Falls, Vermont, a moment longer than absolutely necessary. However, the previously reclusive veterinarian pathologist quickly found that he actually enjoyed treating animals and getting to know the ...more
Published April 8th 2014 by Hachette Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Gone, Back Soon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Gone, Back Soon

*TUDOR^QUEEN*
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book via NetGalley for my fair and honest review.

As a dog lover, I thought this would make for a pleasant read. What I had expected to be a mildly entertaining story evolved into a surprisingly fast page-turner for a number of reasons.

Dr. Cyrus Mills returns to his hometown of Eden Falls upon the passing of his father. His father's veterinary clinic Bedside Manor is itself ailing, on the brink of foreclosure. It's hard to flourish against the powerful marketing of the veterinary
Carolyn

Dr Nick Trout is an animal surgeon in a large Veterinary hospital in Boston. In The Patron Saint of Lost Dogs, he introduced us to Dr Cyrus Mills, a veterinary pathologist who returns to his estranged father's small home town in Vermont to wind up his practice after his death. Instead he ends up fighting to keep the practice open, falls in love with Amy, a feisty waitress and decides to stay.

In this sequel, Cyrus starts to rebuild the practice, dusts off his bedside skills to learn how to deal
Trish
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it
A close family member of mine has a small animal veterinary practice in New England. He is usually too busy trying to balance the business between an elusive profitability and the banker’s jaws to tell me details of his work, but I never tire of hearing his stories. I thought this book might give me insights into challenges I didn’t know he had.

This is Nick Trout’s second novel in a series about a similar veterinary practice run by Cyrus Mills in Eden Falls, Vermont. I’d read an earlier nonfict
Bark
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I was tempted to grab this from Netgalley when they sent me an email that included this cute cover. I hadn’t a clue about the plot or the writer or even the genre and especially that it was a SEQUEL to another book (grrrr) but I’m a sucker for cute dogs so here we are.

Cyrus is a veterinary pathologist who feels comfortable dealing with animals after they’re deceased. He enjoys solving medical mysteries and looking through a microscope. Cyrus does not have good people skills (more on that later)
Dana
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing

I sped through this book. I feel like a jerk for putting off reading this because it turned out to be so heartwarming and hilarious! I wasn't aware that the author was a Veterinarian when I was reading this, makes sense now since the main character's profession read so authentic.

This book is the perfect summer read. It's a light read with an interesting plot and a clever and humorous cast of characters. Such a treat to read and Stash the Labradoodle was the cherry on top.

Note: I received this bo
Ms.pegasus
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ms.pegasus by: browsing at my local bookstore
Shelves: fiction
Veterinary pathologist Cyrus Mills thought he was content with him unpressured life in the lab at a safe remove from live pets and their human companions. All of that changed when his father died, and Cyrus relocated from sunny Charleston, South Carolina to wintry Eden Falls in northern Vermont in order to continue his father's veterinary practice, Bedside Manor. Cyrus' father was something of a Marcus Welby for animals, and Cyrus comes to realize he wants to continue that legacy. His resolve is ...more
Bea  Charmed
How could I resist that face? Add in the title and I almost didn't care about the blurb. :D I didn't realize that it was the second book in a series but after reading this one, I'm hooked.

Animals, more animals, a romance, a homecoming, family problems, small town New England life - all tropes and themes that appeal to me. Cyrus took a bit of time to warm up to and I never really did warm up to his love interest, Amy. Cyrus is socially challenged, nosy, blunt, and an introvert. The combination ma
Susan (aka Just My Op)
Although I am an animal lover, and wanted to read something short and fluffy, I had my doubts about this short novel in the beginning. Cyrus had a suspended vet license and was estranged from his father when his father died and Cyrus took over his practice in a small town fighting takeover from a corporate giant in the vet hospital field.

For a vet, he doesn't much like animals. Sheesh, Cyrus, you are a veterinarian. Step back from the microscope you love and get a life. And the way you are going
Amanda Byrne
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-books
I debated over the rating to give this book. There's a lot weighing in its favor. Cyrus reminds me of Dr. House, with his lack of social skills and wicked sharp mind. The pathology was interesting and the story, as a whole, was engaging. And Stash! I adored Stash. I worried right along with Cyrus whether the town would be able to continuing supporting a vet practice.

I've always wondered about those chain practices. Are they really as cold and blundering as the one in Dog Gone, Back Soon?

I hated
Mary Brown
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that I've read by this author and I really liked it. It's not my usual genre in books but I plan on reading book one. There was humor, character development and lots of animals, which I totally enjoyed. I was drawn in and my attention was held through out the whole story. It was interesting hearing about different ailments for pets and how different veterinarian practices operate. And you can't help but fall in love with all the animals, especially Stash. Parts were funny, ...more
Lisa B.
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts
Dr. Miles has spent many years as a vet pathologist, so his people and animal skills are a bit rough. Fortunately, his analytical skills are pretty darn good and this is a huge benefit as he tries to diagnosis both the people and critters he encounters.

This was utterly delightful. Fun, lighthearted and amusing. It was a fast paced read. The author really created some unusual characters. This is the first Nick Trout book I’ve read, but won’t be the last.

My thanks to Hachette Books, via
Amy Coath
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Easy to read, funny book about a wide range of animals, where they all had happy endings. Keen to read more by the author.
Emily
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, netgalley, 2017
I enjoyed this charming story. I read James Herriot's books long ago, and loved them. These books (this one being a sequel to "The Patron Saint of Lost Dogs") are a bit reminiscent of Herriot's books, but Trout's books are fiction. There's a great air of authenticity to them, though, since Trout is a veterinarian himself. At times there's a bit more technical info than the average person may be able to digest, but when you consider the vet in these books is a veterinary pathologist who tends to ...more
Andrea Guy
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you are an animal lover, this is a series of books you won't want to miss. Its a cozy veterinary sort of read. The mysteries involve the animals brought to Dr. Cyrus at Bedside Manor, and many of them are hard to solve.

This book is so well written from a vet's perspective.

I loved Dr. Cyrus. He's like the vet version of Temperance Brennan. He's very smart, and very socially awkward. His foot goes into his mouth a lot, but like Brennan (at least the Bones version of that character) he's well li
Jill
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an adorable story about Cyrus Mills, a veterinarian in his late thirties who returns to northern Vermont after his father’s death to run his father’s veterinary practice, The Bedside Manor for Sick Animals.

There’s a subplot about the Evil Corporate Competitor, a national chain called Healthy Paws, and one involving Cyrus’s romantic interest in a local waitress named Amy Carp (presumably a hat tip to the author, Nick Trout). But the real appeal of the book is the wonderful collection of a
Clayton Cheever
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I first met local veterinarian Dr. Trout when he helped me diagnose a dear greyhound I had rescued. When I came across this, his fifth book, I knew I had to give it a chance - he was a great help in a tough time and I figured that his writing must be pretty good to sustain this many books. I was very pleasantly surprised. This novel is about a man who has returned to his home-town in rural Vermont to take over his recently deceased father’s veterinary practice. It comes with the expected animal ...more
Kathy
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although this seems to be the 2nd book in the series, I enjoyed reading it and would like to read the first one. Cyrus Mills comes back to Eden Falls, Vermont to take over his father's vet practice. In this book, he cares for several different clients, and takes on rival Healthy Paws Animal Hospital in the next town. He also continues his pursuit of Amy. Read this book to find out if he gets her, and what the major stumbling block in the relationship was.
Amy
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
As an animal lover, and proud dog owner, I decided to read this book in the hope of a heartwarming, feel good story. I wasn't expecting a lot of veterinary-speak and scientific conditions. I took ages to get into this book and never quite felt as though I connected with Cyrus, nor ever really knew a lot of background information about him. I felt the story was very slow and didn't really have an identifiable problem in the traditional narrative sense.
Sherri Lewis
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely delightful book, about a son who comes back home after being gone for many years, to take over his father's veterinary practice. A rival practice in a nearby town is trying to ruin them, the woman of his dreams remains elusive and mysterious, and there is a plethora of medical mysteries that he is trying to solve... both feline and canine. This is a must read for any animal lover!
Linda
Mar 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
The cover on this book sold me. But, it didn't meet a single expectation. I wanted a good animal/vet book with funny stories about animals and owners with some sort of male/female relationship. This tried, sorta, to do that but was very weak in all respects. Don't bother. Whoever said you couldn't miss with a cute dog hadn't read this one.
Janice Sisemore
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book. Enjoyed all the adventures of the vet practice. The competition between the vets. Dr. Mills ended up with the oddest cases but interesting ones. Kept me interested till the end of the book.
Jo-anne
Jul 20, 2014 rated it liked it
A fun read..didn't realize this was second in a series or would have started with first book. Expect to read others as well.
Linda
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was very funny!! Great characters - a light read. If you like funny characters based in a small town and animals - this book might be for you.

Sierra
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I look forward to the next installment of Cyrus Mills. Overall I like these stories. I don't care for Amy. I don't like how she treats Cyrus but Cyrus is an intriguing character.
Kelley
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I want to give this a 4 star review as I actually really enjoyed it and have been a fan of Dr. Trouts. However, I was extremely disappointed with his portrayal of corporate vet clinics. I happened to be a vet at a corporate clinic and it’s been the best thing to happen to me. I worked at several “mom and pop” clinics prior, where daily I was subjected to abuse - emotional, verbal and occasionally physical. This is the dark side of vet med and unfortunately I’ve seen too much. Not only did I witn ...more
Bloss ♡
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Susan
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Cyrus Mills is a veterinary pathologist who has returned home due to his father's death. He has inherited his father's vet practice. He discovers he has competition from a new vet practice opening. It won't stop him from practicing as he has help. Who are they? Why are they helping him? Dr. mills goes out on a date with Amy that turns out to be a disaster with her. What happened? Will they go on another date? Meanwhile he continues his veterinarians practice.

This is a darling novel. The auth
Reddwhine
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
What a fun read! I'm a sucker for animal books combined with vets. I plowed through all of the James Herriot books as fast as they were published. Also have loved several of Bruce Cameron's books so this seemed perfect for me. It certainly didn't disappoint. Its heartwarming and funny and just a really fun read. I didn't realize it was #2 in a series until I had finished it. Now I'm looking for #1. I got it as a e-book advance copy from Netgalley (thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!) and ended up buyi ...more
Nancy
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars for animal lovers, but otherwise, still an enjoyable breezy 3. Very sorry that this is the last book published about Cyrus Mills, but hoping for more in the future. Dr. Cyrus Mills' first patient in the book is a mastiff!

This book picks up right where the previous one left off (meaning the next day), so it you're new to the series, just read books 1 and 2 as one long story.

Nice guy, introvert, Cyrus Mills, quaint New England town, bad guys who get their comeuppance, sick animals who ge
Kathi
Week 21 of the 2017 Reading Challenge: A book that is a continuation of a book you've already read. This book was a sequel to The Patron Saint of Lost Dogs. The author is a veterinary surgeon at Angell Memorial Hospital in Boston and I've heard from friends that have met him that he is very good. He is also a very good writer. He has a couple non fiction books in addition to his fiction series and I have enjoyed them all.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Around the Year i...: Dog Gone, Back Soon, by Nick Trout 1 13 May 27, 2017 05:02AM

• Dreambender
  • The Traveler's Wake
  • In Real Life
  • Assassin Queen (Majat Code, #3)
  • Flight of the Golden Harpy
  • Bound (The Caelian Cycle #2)
  • Pendulum (The Neumarian Chronicles, #2)
  • Archon's Queen (The Awakened, #2)
  • What Nora Knew
  • The Zodiac Collector
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Falling Hard (Roller Girls #1)
  • The Winter Boy
  • Guild Assassin (Curse Breaker, #1)
  • The Tree House (The Tree House, #1)
  • The Scorched Earth (The Chaos Born, #2)
  • The Empress Chronicles (The Empress Chronicles, #1)
  • The Sword Chronicles: Child of the Empire
I’m from England and I’m a veterinary surgeon working at the Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston, one of the biggest animal hospitals in the world. If I had to sum up the best part of my career in one word it would be ‘unpredictable’ because what’s great about coming to work everyday is the certainty of surprise. It might be a Chihuahua or a Great Dane, a Maine Coon Cat or an iguana. It might b ...more

Cyrus Mills (2 books)
  • The Patron Saint of Lost Dogs (Cyrus Mills, #1)
“is what I think it is, the ramifications for me,” 0 likes