Start by marking “The Convict and the Cattleman” as Want to Read:
The Convict and the Cattleman

The Convict and the Cattleman

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
His love is the key to her release.

Sentenced to seven years of servitude in the penal colony of New South Wales, Bridgit Madden is thrust into a world unlike anything she's known, dangers she never imagined and enemies with their own interests at heart. Certain the conviction has ruined her chances of ever having a real family, she is fearful of her future.

Despite his
Published January 6th 2014 by Lyrical Press (first published August 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Convict and the Cattleman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Convict and the Cattleman

Janell Sutherland
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This book is set in Australia in 1840, aka the good old days when England shipped its convicts Down Under, creating a population of settlers and criminals. The hero, Jonah, owns a large, prosperous cattle ranch and he needs a nursemaid for his infant niece. He would prefer an old woman so that the men who work on his ranch, known as jackaroos, won’t be tempted to sleep with her. Jonah goes to the Parramatta Female Factory, which is kind of a prison, to see if there are any decent women to help h ...more
Jeannie Zelos
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it

The Convict and the Cattleman . Allison Merritt

Review from Jeannie Zelos Book Reviews.
I enjoy historical romance occasionally so looked forward to this. Set in New South Wales in the 1800's it sounded interesting. I love to read about how early settlers in these continents managed their everyday lives. Bridgit is typical, transported for attempting to steal to feed her starving siblings, and working in one of the Factories where convicts were employed. Employers can take workers from here for
Amanda
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. The story is a good boy meets girl, boy resists girl, boy falls for girl and they live happily ever after type of romance. There is some tensions, some misunderstandings, a little bit of danger, and a growing love that makes this story a good read.

I enjoyed the characters. Bridgit is not your typical convict. You would expect a wild, bad mannered or dangerous woman to be a convict. Bridgit is very much the opposite. Jonah is a typical masculine, hard headed male. He is very
Pam
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
New South Wales, Australia in 1840 is a wild place, with new settlers and convicts arriving daily to populate the country. I was intrigued with the setting of this book as I have always been fascinated with this country. The author takes us to this beautiful country full of interesting characters and a wonderful romance with a satisfying ending.

Jonah Andrus owns one of the largest cattle stations in Australia, Laurie Lark, and is in need of someone to take care of his niece immediately. As there
My Book Addiction and More MBA
THE CONVICT AND THE CATTLEMAN by Allison Merritt is an interesting Historical Romance set in New South Wales in the 1800's. A Lyrical Press Historical Romance. Bridgit Madden is sentenced to seven years of servitude in a penal colony in the New South Wales. She fears her life is ruined but then enters......cattleman Jonah Andrus, who needs a servant to help with his young niece.

For a story with a HEA,a bit of romance, of course, you have deceit, lies, secrets and a bit of danger, you will find
April
I generally prefer my historicals to be Regency era but every now and again I try something new. This is also a new location for me, Wales in the 1800s is an interesting location. I was really interested in the penal colony angle, seemed like something different. I was really interested in the historical bits of this book, might have to do a little research on penal colonies now, cause I am curious.

I really liked the whole story, it is a quiet sweet sort of romance. No big bangs or whistles, jus
Ellen Harger
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't like stars. They make me over-think.

Rating this book against similar books, I happily give it five stars. I'm not a big reader of the romance genre and all of its friends - I tend to prefer main-stream or women's fiction and it's not fair to rate this book against those.

This is a delightful novel. I was instantly attracted to the heroine being the convict. This was a fresh take and I needed to know why. The first chapter sold me to read the entire novel and I was thoroughly entertained.
One Messy Mama The Honest Mom Blog
I received this book from The Getaways for an honest review.

What a beautiful and realistic love story.

Jonah owns his own cattle farm, and after the death of his sister he is left with a her newborn baby and no-one to help raise her. He travels to the factory (prison) to find an old lady to help him. When he leaves he is travelling with a beautiful
Shopgirl
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Historical romance set in colonial Australia? Yes please! I know next to nothing about the time period or the politics underlying some of the plot points, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the story. I'm sure I've heard in passing at some time or another that Australia was a penal colony, and the story is built around that system--it's how the heroine and hero meet; the unusual bit is that the heroine is the one who's the convict, sent to Australia for stealing. A nice twist I wasn't expecti ...more
Renes Getaway
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful and realistic love story.
I was hooked by page one. After trying to steal a few pennies for some food for her family, Bridget is sentences to 7 years imprisonment in Australia.....to read the rest of my review, please visit Rene's Getaway at http://renesgetaway.blogspot.com/2014...
Da Kamel
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really loved how honest and open the hero and heroine are with each other. They were honest about their feelings. No hiding anything. A bit unrealistic but hey, I am reading these for escapism. There was much passion between them and the kindness shown to the herine was kinda sexy. Gread read!
Shantie
Oct 19, 2016
Jultri
Sep 07, 2015
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 24, 2015 09:11AM
A love of reading inspired Allison Merritt to pursue her dream of becoming an author who writes historical, paranormal, contemporary, and fantasy romances, often combining the sub-genres. She lives in a small town in the Ozark Mountains with her husband and dogs. It's not unusual to find her lurking in graveyards, wandering historical sites, or listening to ghost stories.

Allison graduated from Col