Start by marking “The Shattered World” as Want to Read:
The Shattered World

The Shattered World

Unknown Binding, 349 pages
Published January 1st 1984 by Timescape Books

To ask other readers questions about The Shattered World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shattered World

Joseph
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books and, after rereading it for the first time in something over a decade, I'm happy to find that it still holds up.

A thousand years ago, the world was broken in a great cataclysm; now people live on the fragments, flying between them in ships made of the skin & bone of dragons. The book follows the interweaving stories of a thief, a couple of wizards, and various others as events are set in motion that will take them on perilous journeys to the far reaches of the world
Julie
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
A re-read for me. This has been one of my favorite books for years. Now that I'm writing and doing critiques, it lost a little of the glow. I will say that despite breaking almost every rule given to writers (infodump, filter words, etc), the imagination, world-building, and flawed characters make up for it.
My wish is that someone, someday would make this into a graphic novel.
Mark Noonan
Oct 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Once again, this is a book that I read when I was very young. Nostalgia may be affecting the rating I gave this book.

Another book I may have to read again, I remember *loving* this book.
Dave Story
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A long-lost book from my past, read when it first published in the 80s. This has everything a good fantasy novel should: strange and wonderful characters, an imaginative world/history, and a steady pace of action and interaction.

This book was as comprehensive and vibrant as any recent trilogy I've read (Todays modern fantasy authors can take a lesson on how to write concise yet vivid stories from the likes of Reaves).
Arlene Allen
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I have the cover art for this hanging in my bedroom. I just found out there is a sequel. Guess where I'm headed...amazon...oh, amazon...
Heather Rohrer
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: march-2018
I was pleasantly surprised about this novel. I picked it up on a whim at a library book sale and judging by its back description it did not sound very interesting. I ended up immensely enjoying The Shattered World because of its complex characters, setting, and constant development for the main characters. It was an exciting adventure to delve into and I am glad I took my chance on it.
Andrew
'The Shattered World' has an interesting premise: that a thousand years ago the Earth was violently broken into many fragments that are kept by magic in complex orbits within an all-encompassing ball of air. People live on the fragments in medieval conditions. The story is cinematic, with sorcerers vying with enchantresses, martial arts specialists of an original kind, dragonships pursuing dragons through the abyss between fragments, and a whole slew of mythical creatures ranging from werebears ...more
krin
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Normally, quest fantasies have the characters trying to save the village or region or their world. With multiple worlds orbiting each other, I found this fantasy novel that much more compelling. I look forward to reading the sequel, The Burning Realm.
Brian
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favorite fantasy novel of all time. I think this would make a really great movie.
Jonathan
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a literary edge to this pulp adventure. I really like it. The joy and the frustration is the self absorption of the flawed characters as they bound through world shattering events.
Patchworkpenguin
rated it did not like it
Apr 01, 2015
Dave Luxton
Dec 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Cats Have No Lord
  • The Christening Quest (Argonian #4)
  • The Riders of the Sidhe
  • The Masters of Solitude (Masters of Solitude, #1)
  • Forsake the Sky
  • Starhammer (The Vang, #1)
  • Savage Species: Playing Monstrous Characters (Dungeons & Dragons Supplement)
  • Prince of Demons (Renshai Chronicles, #2)
  • Death's Master (Flat Earth, #2)
  • The Silver Sun (The Book of Isle, #2)
  • In Yana, the Touch of Undying
  • Venus of Dreams
  • The Hammer of the Sun (The Winter of the World, #3)
  • The Search of Mavin Manyshaped (The Chronicles of Mavin Manyshaped, #3)
  • Grey Seer (Warhammer: Thanquol & Boneripper, #1)
  • The Blackgod (Children of the Changeling, #2)
  • The Saint-Germain Chronicles (Saint-Germain, #6)
  • The Jack Vance Treasury
Michael Reaves is an Emmy Award-winning television writer and screenwriter whose many credits include Star Trek: The Next Generation, Twilight Zone, Batman: The Animated Series, and Gargoyles. His novels include the New York Times bestseller STAR WARS: Darth Maul- Shadowhunter and STAR WARS: Death Star. He and Neil Gaiman cowrote Interworld. Reaves has also written short fiction, comic books, and ...more