Start by marking “My Life” as Want to Read:
My Life

My Life

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  528 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
This priceless historical document by the Bolshevik leader features firsthand accounts from the top levels of the Russian revolutions of 1905 and 1917. Trotsky chronicles the struggle to consolidate a government run by workers and peasants, along with the rift between Lenin and Stalin and its political consequences.
Published June 5th 2007 by Dover Publications (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about My Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Life

Donna Davis
Trotskyists are one of the most reviled groups on the left...and I have been partly or wholly one my entire adult life. That said, it doesn't take a Trotskyist (or even a "TrotskyITE") to enjoy this book.

Think for a moment about living in a house with dirt floors; mud walls three feet thick in which snakes, some of them poisonous, dwell; but you have servants. This is the middle class home into which Trotsky was born.

Initially loathe to broadcast the particulars of his life, which he considered
Jeremy Hicks
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Life is an eyeopening autobiography from the pen of one of the world's greatest revolutionary figures. Learn about the man behind the myth of Leon Trotsky from the man himself. Some of the stories are merely informative while others are positively inspiring, like Trotsky's daring escape by reindeer from his second Siberian exile or his wartime command of the entire Soviet Army by train. Love him or hate him, Leon Trotsky breaks down his life, trials, triumphs, and tribulations from his early ...more
بهمن زبردست
leon trotski ya be ghole khode russ ha:lev trotski'i!tarikhe enghelabo khoondam hamintor yaddashthaye roozane,commune paris va barnameye enteghali.zendegie mano tooye avale rahnamayi khoondam va avale daneshgah dobare moroor kardam.kheili baram jale budeh va hast nasresh va zehni ke dare.dar morede shakhsiate siasish bahsi nadarm inja.fagahat mitoonam begam man trotskist nistam amma trotski ra doost daram;)
Yves Panis
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Livre extraordinaire non pas seulement d'un révolutionnaire mais d'un véritable écrivain. À lire sans modération. Peu de gens ont changé comme lui l'histoire du Monde. Quelle vie ! Peu importe ce qu'est ensuite devenu l'URSS. Lisez un roman d'une vie extraordinaire. C'est déjà pas mal non plutôt que de donner des leçons ?
Ryan Milbrath
In all honesty, I tend not to read autobiographies for enjoyment. Attribute it to my major of History and my constant reading of autobiographies and biographies for my education. Also attribute it to my belief that we all embellish, twist, misperceive, misunderstand, or exasperate the situations, relations, and occurrences of our own life when committing the truth of the memory to the written word.

“My Life” was an exception. Trotsky’s autobiography seemed imperative to read, just as Karl Marx’
Owen Walsh
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Trotsky's brilliance is on full show throughout, and this is ram-packed of political insight and inspiration, though read as a curiosity or as literature it has its shortcomings.

The early part is cleverly stylised, and Trotsky lets his literary instincts fly a little as he pieces together reminiscences of his early life. It's also really interesting to read his judgement of his young self and his origins. These are the most personal pages of the book.

As the story moves toward Trotsky's politica
Ajax Minor
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
just a few comments that echo many of those below. Trotsky was an amazing figure. both brilliant and brave, his one flaw, i believe, which was not entirely explained in the book (perhaps because he couldn't detect it in himself) was a desire NOT to be top dog. he easily could have booted Stalin after Lenin's death by reading the latter's scathing critique of 'Koba'. but i think he preferred the power of the prince as opposed to the constraints of kingship.
even if you don't agree with his politic
Trounin
Правдив ли Троцкий перед читателем? Со своей стороны он не может ошибаться. Но проще не говорить до конца, чтобы создать нужное о себе представление. Именно таким образом поступает Троцкий, рассказывая историю жизни. У читателя сложится впечатление, будто автор мемуаров существовал в ограниченной от всего среде. Он борется за что-то, не обосновывая мотивов. Троцкий игнорирует действия царских чиновников, не обращает внимания на политическую составляющую соперников по идеологии, он трудится во им ...more
Lee
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utterly engaging, written with skill and a complete lack of genuine humility as befitting one of the titans of his era. Such a fascinating and divisive historical figure, who's fundamental beliefs could offer lessons in today's modern world.

Having read other biographical works, most recently Robert Service 'Trotsky', I have come to question some of the established facts contained within, however that in no way diminishes an utterly enthralling read.

In short, pure class.
Francene Carroll
I'm a bit surprised that this book has so few ratings. In my opinion it is one of the greatest works of the 20th century. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, given the hatchet job that has been done on Trotsky's reputation and the Left oppposition (no pun intended). A great revolutionary and a great man, and what a life! This autobiography would make a brilliant film, but I won't hold my breath waiting for it.
Dan Regan
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly void of polemics, this autobiography tells the story of Trotsky's life of revolution without diving too deep into the philosophies behind it. I certainly learned that I know less about social and political systems than I would care to admit. Great read, eloquently and passionately written.
James Richardson
Awesome Book!!!!!!!!!! By far the best autobiography that I have ever read. Trotsky was highly intelligent and his thinking and writings transcend generations and will continue to do so. Many of his insights and predictions came true. Will the others? Time will tell..... If he and the left opposition had been successful, communism and the world that we know, would be a much different place.
Peter Pinkney
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given it five stars, but problem was knowing who everyone was! Names are just casually thrown in. I know quite a bit about his period in history, but at times I was lost as to what was going on.
Definitely a well written book, and an insight into the mind of one of our greatest thinkers.
Now if only there had been better (or any!) footnotes....
Gstn Klcsr
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gran autobiografía de uno de los personajes históricos más complejos que han existido.
Paul
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible autobiography. Well-written, sometimes beautiful. And you learn a lot of history and politics as you go along.
Vitalii Riznyk
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Вельми цікава біографія революціонера Лейби Бронштейна Троцького має багато повчальний моментів. Особливо актуальна під час Майдану.
Natasha
Fascinating book - fascinating life
Ake
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the "funny" thing is the last chapter "The Planet Without a Visa" is almost exact the same as the current situation (as of July 2, 2013) with Edward Snowden in Russia
Fuschia
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
8.5/10, a LOT of detail, feel I missed the big picture, but still compelling and well written but I have questions. Important book to read, worth reading.
Kafkasfriend
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marxism, communism
A superb and important book valid today as ever. Trotsky remains he commensurate political and social commentator
Chai
  • The Prophet Armed: Trotsky, 1879-1921
  • Bukharin and the Bolshevik Revolution: A Political Biography, 1888-1938
  • Memoirs of a Revolutionary
  • The Civil War in France
  • Left-Wing Communism, an Infantile Disorder: A Popular Essay in Marxian Strategy and Tactics
  • Anti-Duhring: Herr Eugen Duhring's Revolution in Science
  • The Essential Rosa Luxemburg: Reform or Revolution/The Mass Strike
  • Marx's General: The Revolutionary Life of Friedrich Engels
  • The Bending Cross: A Biography of Eugene Victor Debs
  • Ten Days that Shook the World
  • Karl Marx: A Biography
  • Considerations on Western Marxism
See also Лев Троцкий

Leon Trotsky was a Bolshevik revolutionary and Marxist theorist. He was one of the leaders of the Russian October Revolution, second only to Vladimir Lenin. During the early days of the Soviet Union, he served first as People's Commissar for Foreign Affairs and later as the founder and commander of the Red Army and People's Commissar of War. He was also among the first members
More about Leon Trotsky...

“The feeling of the supremacy of general over particular, of law over fact, of theory over personal experience, took root in my mind at an early age and gained increasing strength as the years advanced. It was the town that played the major role in shaping this feeling, a feeling which later became the basis for a philosophic outlook on life. When I heard boys who were studying physics and natural history repeat the superstitious notions about “unlucky” Monday, or about meeting a priest crossing the road, I was utterly indignant. I felt that my intelligence had been insulted, and I was on the verge of doing any mad thing to make them abandon their shameless superstitions.” 0 likes