Start by marking “A Letter to My Teacher” as Want to Read:
A Letter to My Teacher

A Letter to My Teacher

Dear Teacher, Whenever I had something to tell you, I tugged on your shirt and whispered in your ear. This time I'm writing a letter. So begins this picture book about a girl who prefers running and jumping to listening and learning and the teacher who gently inspires her. From stomping through creeks on a field trip to pretending to choke when called upon to read aloud, t ...more
Published April 4th 2017 by Schwartz & Wade Books

To ask other readers questions about A Letter to My Teacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Letter to My Teacher

Danielle H
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Exactly the kind of book you'd give to a retiring teacher to make her cry.
Andrea
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
As a teacher, I found this book touching and very sweet, as it portrays the way we hope children feel about their teachers and how a teacher really can have an influence, even though they may not always know how far it reaches. I really liked how this story shows that you don't always know which experiences or small moments are going to be the ones that have the most meaning to a child. I do agree with other reviewers that this book is more for an adult audience than for children to read.
Karin
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brought tears to my eyes. This is probably more for adults than kids though.
Susan  Dunn
Oh! Such a sweet story! I had tears in my eyes at the end. Give this to all of your teacher friends. Reminds me a lot of Thank You, Mr. Falker.
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A former student writes a letter of appreciation to a teacher.

I’d be lying if I said “this didn’t make me cry.” Yup, full-on watery eyes and remembrances of my own letters that I wrote to three teachers upon graduating for college. I also had a touch of regret at never having had the chance to tell my childhood librarian “I became a librarian! And it was because of you and how awesome you were to me as a child!” (She died before I finished library school.)

What a terrific story with great illustr
Lisa D
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! A terrific book about appreciating teachers for kids !
Cheriee Weichel
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book made me all weepy. It's the story of an exasperating grade two student and how her teacher changed the trajectory of her life.
Samantha
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I loved it! It's definitely a great gift for the teachers that have been special in your child's life.
Marcia
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful ode to all the good teachers. An inquisitive child highlights a teacher's patience, caring, and creativity in this lovely thank you note. This book made me remember some of the great teachers I've had and silently thank them, too.
Megan
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re a teacher or ever had a teacher you loved- read this book in a private place. If you read it in the middle of the library, as I just did, it may cause little children to stare at your ugly crying face. Such a beautiful tribute to the impact of a teacher ❤ ...more
Kris Dersch
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely a sweet story and a great gift for any teacher. Definitely aimed more at an adult reader than a kid, but everyone who has ever worked with kids knows this kid well.
Karen Johnson
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a teacher, I loved this book. It made me tear up even.
It's not so much a children's book, but a gift for a special teacher.

Thank you Deborah Hopkinson.
Lisa
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this as a gift from one of students as an end of year present, such a good story to remind me of the impact I have on these little people.
Lupe
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Beautiful tribute to teachers everywhere.
Barbara
The perfect end of the year gift for a dedicated teacher, this picture book will surely prompt some wet eyes when it's read aloud or alone. As she prepares for her first job as a new teacher, a young woman looks back with fondness on her year in second grade and writes a thank-you letter to her teacher. During that particular time, the girl struggled with reading, sitting still, and self-control. For the most part, that unforgettable teacher patiently guided her and helped her grow. Although she ...more
Lisa
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Loved this picture book! It is a very special book in the form of a letter written to the teacher by her student. I remember having inspiring teachers like this one and hope that everyone has a special teacher like this one. Highly recommended!
Robin
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy moly! I challenge anyone to read all the way through this one without tearing up. If you've ever been a teacher or parent, a slow learner, classroom-disrupter, or late bloomer, oh, what a book.

A Letter to My Teacher is a letter from one such puddle-stomping, adventure-loving, exasperating student to her former teacher, detailing how much her teacher's patience, kindness, and skill meant to her.

We all have choices every day - Hopkinson's perfect words and Carpenter's expressive paintings re
Kelly
Apr 13, 2017 added it
Shelves: 2017, teachers
I got some major goosebumps reading this one. I hope my students know how much I cared even when I was exasperated, too.
Scott Fillner
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I’m ever an ED Leader I’m reading this aloud to my staff
Niki Marion
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Despite the first person child narrator, the tone of the book is very nostalgic, which makes sense when readers reach the end of the book and see the full-sized narrator with a classroom of her own. Ultimately more end-of-the-school-year-present for educators than picturebook.
Jackie
A sweet story about a child's favorite teacher, the memories, the patience, the dreams, and the woman she becomes.

A Letter to My Teacher will surely resonate with every educator, young and old.
Carol Ekster
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps it was because I was a teacher for 35 years that I felt so touched by this book, but it is also because now I'm a children's author myself and Deborah Hopkinson did a beautiful job of choosing just the right words to make this a lovely read. Wonderful illustrations as well.
Earl
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd been meaning to read this and glad I actually took the time to finally do so. A sweet tribute to teachers told through the eyes of a second-grade girl who admittedly wasn't the easiest student to have. Very touching.
Sara Grochowski
This book is going to make a wonderful gift for teachers. Bit of a tear-jerker.
MaryLibrarianOH
A beautiful letter from a student (one who can't sit still) to her teacher (one who helps channel her energy). Give to the teachers in your life.
Erin Buhr
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For all the amazing teachers in the world that touch children's lives every day, this book is for you. It made me feel all the best feelings.
Karen Arendt
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, school
For everyone who works in education. Never underestimate the lasting effects you have on a child.
Kristina Jean Lareau
No, YOU'RE ALL TEARY-EYED.

The pen & ink illustrations are beautifully rendered. With the small touches of bright color, the reader really feels how the student stands out. A lovely story.
Lynne Edwards
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Summery:
This picture book tells the story of a young 2nd grade girl who does not like school all that much. Its not that she isn't good at it, but she would rather run and play, and splash in puddles. However, her teacher comes up with creative ways for her students to enjoy the things they are learning about, such as using math to plan their very own garden. They plot the garden and make sure each plant has enough room to grow. This little girl continuously exhibits challenging behavior that w
Brianna Shaw
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-3090
Summary: All teachers have the one student that would challenge them to the ends of the world and in this story there is one! The student knew the struggles and challenges she provided her teacher, so she decided to write a letter… In this letter the students explains how she loved to run, jump, and explore, but didn’t really like the listening and learning part of education. She explained how she couldn’t read, but was too frightened to tell her teacher; it didn’t matter the teacher knew. As th ...more
  • A Poem in Your Pocket
  • Dear Substitute
  • Billy's Booger
  • A Hat for Mrs. Goldman: A Story About Knitting and Love
  • Malala pour le droit des filles à l'éducation
  • Clara and Davie
  • Be Kind
  • The Day Santa Stopped Believing in Harold
  • Dog Days of School
  • Margaret and the Moon: How Margaret Hamilton Saved the First Lunar Landing
  • School's First Day of School
  • Maya Lin: Artist-Architect of Light and Lines
  • Toys Meet Snow: Being the Wintertime Adventures of a Curious Stuffed Buffalo, a Sensitive Plush Stingray, and a Book-loving Rubber Ball
  • The Forever Garden
  • The Three Billy Goats Gruff
  • How to Get Your Teacher Ready
  • Colette's Lost Pet
  • I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness
I write picture books, nonfiction, and middle grade fiction. I love history and visiting schools to talk to young readers (Pre-K - 8 and sometimes high schools).

My new books in 2019 are CARTER READS THE NEWSPAPER, HOW I BECAME a SPY, and WHERE IS THE KREMLIN?

Recent awards for picture books include ORDINARY, EXTRAORDINARY JANE being named a 2019 Oregon Book Award finalist. I received the Jane Adda