Start by marking “Lady Washington” as Want to Read:
Lady Washington

Lady Washington

Lady Washington, America's First First Lady, a work of historical fiction offers new insight into the private lives and public times of the legendary George and Martha Washington. Martha won a rebel nation's heart in recognition of the courage and self-sacrifice she consistently displayed during the Revolution's turmoil and the early years of peace. She lovingly became ...more
Published March 8th 2013 by Storyworkz LP (first published May 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Washington, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Washington

Start your review of Lady Washington
Shantelle
Jun 08, 2014 marked it as to-read
Interesting, but slower paced. I look forward to getting back to it when I have no more pressing books to read! Haha! :)

On page 111.
Elsie
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Too easy to forget the sacrifices of those who gave their lives for a country who provides amazing rights to so many people.
Maria
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lady Washington written by Dorothy Clarke Wilson is beautifully written. I tell you...I felt like I was in the middle of the grand White House with Martha Dandgridge and Daniel Parke Custis after they got married. The descriptions of the home, the furnishings, the landscaping...remarkable! I was transported through history. Learned much about Lady Washington's childhood, adolescence and courtship. We then felt her grief when she lost her two children, followed by her husband. We learned it was ...more
Sumi
Fictional biography of Martha Washington. The style reminded me of Irving Stone's fictional biographies. It starts with her as a teen who marries one of the wealthiest Virginia planters. She lost two children, making the remaining two so precious to her that spoiled them dreadfully. After she loses her first husband, she meets and marries George Washington.

Personally, I never felt that George loved Martha when he married her as much as he loved her money. After all, he was very much in love
Pamela
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detailed and well researched, it is rumored that Washington loved Lady Fairfax, but I think that this story is more accurate. I have visited Mt. Vernon and feel that Martha's personality matches the details that you see fictionally portrayed in this book. Washington was a planter and a statesman and it is so sweet how Martha's devotion helps her to grow along with her husband's career. All is tastefully and tenderly illuminated for the reader's enjoyment.
Dionne
I've read a lot about the presidents and first ladies, but I'd never read an in-depth biography about Martha Washington. While this book is a biographical novel, the author did a lot of research and most of it is accurate. I have to say that this book caused me to admire Martha much more than I would've imagined. She was a truly, incredible lady.
Karen Hogan
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Behind every great man who sacrifices for the common good, is a greater woman, who sacrificed more. This historical fiction that tells the story of Martha Wasington, the first "First Lady" was well done. I enjoyed reading about the sorrows and triumphs of this truly great couple who gave up 16 years of their lives to give us the nation we now live in...
Kathy Baker
This was an interesting book. The author sure researched it well. Many homey details were furnished, including many small details of her clothes. This made you think that Martha and George truly loved each other and longed always to be together.
Rachel N
I picked this up at a thrift store.
Cherry
Mar 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cherry by: Eileen Edson
This taught me alot about Martha Washington, I appreciated it for the things that I learned about American History because of reading it.
CM
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author has succeeded in making this book difficult to lay down once begun. A very interesting, detailed account of the life and faith of Martha Washington.
Elizabeth
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wonderful book, beautifully written. very interesting to read about the first, first lady. i have not read anything about her before.
C Cain