Start by marking “Lonely Planet's Guide to Travel Writing” as Want to Read:
Lonely Planet's Guide to Travel Writing

Lonely Planet's Guide to Travel Writing

Bursting with invaluable advice, this inspiring and practical guide is a must for anyone who has ever yearned to turn their travels into saleable tales. Let legendary travel writer Don George show you the way.

Discover:
-The secrets of crafting a great travel story
(How to conduct pre-trip and on-the-road research)
-Effective interviewing techniques
(How to get your name in pr
Published September 1st 2013 by Lonely Planet (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Lonely Planet's Guide to Travel Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lonely Planet's Guide to Travel Writing

Start your review of Lonely Planet's Guide to Travel Writing
Jason Koivu
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Time and again Travel Writing beats into you the utter financial ruin you will be driving yourself towards should you choose this career. Making money at it is essentially a forlorn hope, says Don George. In this instance, you want to go against the grain of the sage advice "never trust a man with two first names" and listen to the man!

After college I went to work at one of the more prestigious papers in Massachusetts. The pay sucked. I was getting $20 a story IF the story made it into the paper
Christine Zibas
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books
For anyone looking for the hard truth about becoming a travel writer, look no further. Here's the reality from Lonely Planet and a travel writer whose career spans more than 30 years in the business. While initially skeptical because this 3rd edition dates to 2013 (ages ago in real media time), there was that Lonely Planet name backing the material up. I was not disappointed.

On the contrary, although any writer worth his or her salt needs to be current with any publication they are seeking to wr
mellyana
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very practical coming from Don George himself. Not to make a guide tour but more on telling the story of a place, reinvent our experience to others. The latest edition is completed with great tips on writing and particularly useful if you're thinking to be a travel writer.

I am lucky to read this and able to get his story directly as well. I think I like the book because I love the way Don George tell the story.
Eustacia Tan
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nlb-ereads
I picked this up because, as I’ve probably mentioned before, I have a family vacation coming up (I am definitely not going to be able to shut up about this) and while part of my preparation is figuring where to go, another part is figuring how I’m going to tell stories about my trip when I come back. Hence, this book.

Lonely Planet’s Guide to Travel Writing is roughly organised into three sections: the first about the craft of travel writing, the second about the business of travel writing (what
Arne
Nov 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I'm not planning to do much travel writing in the near future I still much enjoyed this booklet. It provides a good inside view of the industry, be it newspaper, magazines or book publishing. It clearly lays out what your options are when you want to travel and write about it.

Almost half of the book consists of interviews with travel writers, publishers, editors and agents, each explaining their trade and delivering what advice they have to offer to those having a first stab at trave
Willemijn
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm a little disappointed. The title suggests that this is a guide to travel writing. I bought this book because I've started a blog about my travels, and I hoped it would help me to be a better writer.

In reality, only roughly 20% of this guidebook is actually about writing. The rest of it is filled with interviews, examples and a hell of a lot of talk about getting published. I don't really see the point of putting the emphasis on getting published, before teaching the reader more about the wr
Jennifer Santiago
Jan 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I'm not going to lie. One of my professors in college once told me about books that can't be read that quickly and that need to be put down after a long fight. And I fought my way through this one. The book is excellent, no bones about that, but if you wish to approach it the way you would read a novel, then I must tell you now that you will not learn from your experience at all.

This book is to be read a little bit at a time and if you attempt to read it in a blur or quickly without doing t
Mochammad Yusni
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book for anyone who wants to be a serious travel writer. This book gives a lot of good tips on writing part (and could be useful for non-travel writing too). Another good thing is there are many practical tips that he shares, examples of good writings and interviews with renowned travel writers. Too bad the UK and US-centered practicalities really can't work in my context. And it would be great if there are more tips on storytelling.
Taylor
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, nf
A good guide to travel writing for professional or personal ambitions. Part One shares tips and strategies for crafting a memorable piece and sixteen writing exercises to get started. Following that are seven examples of “good travel writing.” These show different types of travel articles. I particularly enjoyed seeing how these writers started their travel article. Lonely Planet also interviewed fourteen travel writers for the book, some are Pico Iyer, Tim Cahill, Stanley Stewart, and Rolf Pott ...more
Cathy
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Wanna-be travel writers
This book is chock-full of information about travel writing. It's pretty discouraging to read; in featured interviews with multiple writers, editors and publishers, the word is that it's very difficult to make a living at travel writing. There is some excellent advice about bringing a story to life through characters, dialogue, illuminating details, anecdotes, and using all your senses. Structures and elements of style are also discussed. I also found a section called "Tools of the Trade" benefi ...more
Meryl
DNF for two years(!), left at the part where the writer was imparting wisdom about who and where to pitch your stories. I picked this up for tips on storytelling and I did get a feel of it for the most part, at least with the chapters that I did read.
Molly Mellott
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Decent advice but nothing you can’t learn from any book or course on writing. Not all sections are entirely relevant and you can easily skip through to the sections most relevant to your needs/interests. This is a useful read for aspiring travel writers/bloggers, especially in the internet age.
Parvesh
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was good experience of dealing with 360trip.in. I am happy because I found whatever they committed while they booking my Singapore tour package. I think it was my right decision to go with 360trip.in. Good Luck.
Megan
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Very practical but also made me not want to be a travel writing-- which, in the grand scheme of things, was probably the right choice...
Kristin
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
E-book from library. Lots of detailed information. Seems very useful for anyone wanting to do travel writing.
ashman.toronto
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Travel Writing is an art and Don George showcases a few travel works from other writers and breaking down to us what made their work a cut above the rest.
Jamie Furlong
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perhaps the title of this book is slightly misleading. A better fit might be "Lonely Planet's Guide to the Business of Travel Writing".

The value of this book really comes in the second and third section. I felt that the first section might be cut out altogether.

I bought this book thinking I would learn about how to write good travel articles and to ensure that your writing is of the highest standard. However, only the first section of the book is actually dedicated to writing. Rather than learn
Tierney
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
Having a passion for travel and vague ideas about starting a career in writing, I picked this book up. I've always used Lonely Planet's guidebooks to plan my trips and travel with, and have always been impressed with the way their guides are put together, so I thought I would try and learn from the masters. This book gives a detailed overview of all things travel writing, such as deciding what to write about, how to pitch a piece, what you can expect to be paid and ideas on where to submit piece ...more
Rashad
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a how-to guide, it was quite entertaining and didn't bog me down with a plethora of dry details. This is a great book for anyone looking to do some Travel Writing.

The guide also has a significant section which includes major newspaper, magazines, and online networks you can submit your work to, as well as a myriad other writing-related contacts and organizations. It would take someone years to collect all the information this author shares--I highly recommend this book.

Published by Lonely Pl
Steve Goodyear
This is a good reference on planning and writing a travel story. I found some good advice and inspiration on how to craft a good travel story, and it has a bunch of tips on getting a story published. I didn't like how much focus it spent on the prospects (or lack of prospects) for earning a living as a travel writer—that negativity detracted from an otherwise interesting and inspiring reference.
Sirina
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This gave me a great insight into travel writing and it really got me thinking about the nitty gritty of such a career and if it is a suitable career for my personality and work type. After reading through this book, I started rewriting a few of the pieces I previously began to put on my blog. I would recommend it to anyone who has thought about travel writing but doesn't know where to start.
Ann Addley
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There is a lot of into in this book! Considering the small type and sometimes long paragraphs it can be a little intimidating but push through and you will find a wealth of knowledge on almost every form of travel writing imaginable. This book gives you an out line of different types of travel writing, the requirements and standards of these fields and even resources in several major countries.
Nur
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
though I'm not a travel writer, I found myself enjoying this book, well written and filled with interesting and even fascinating insight into the world of travel writing, it definitely takes away looking at the profession with rosy tinted glasses, from sample pieces to interviews, to logistical breakdowns and resources for anyone interested in the field or diving deeply into it.
Max
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, even though I wasn't seriously considering a career change-- it had some useful comments about how to write about travel in informal settings as well. Plus, I always like learning about the behind-the-scenes details of various professions, how publishing works, and so on.
Kelly Lynn Thomas
I am reading this for a travel writing class at Chatham University's MFA in creative writing program. We didn't read all of it, but it kind of got on my nerves. A lot of the stuff is just basic journalism, but the interviews with travel writers and stuff about markets is useful.
Sharlene
This book makes me realize that dreams of traveling the world are slim & that sharing my accounts will be boring as hell to the reader because I can't write. Yay for me! Some good tips, but not for the faint hearted. ...more
Bing
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very honest and no-nonsense book. Packed with practical information for those wanting to be a travel writer. After reading this, all my illusions about this career disappeared and was replaced by honest-to-goodness realities. Recommended to those who want to get into this field.
Sharon
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A decently helpful insight into the world of travel writing, both the idealistic and the real world bits. A lot of very practical knowledge in this that made me clearer on the real requirements and struggles of being a traveling writer as a career.
Patricia Murphy
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
I'm using this book for my Travel Writing classes in 2016, and I'm pleased with some of the features, though I wish they were organized differently since it can get a bit plodding to read all the samples and interviews in a row.
Andrew
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommended
Better than most of the travel writing books out there. More in line with other how-to literature on the craft of being an author and Don George is careful not to include too many trends which would render the piece outdated in the future.

• Calculating God
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost: A Memoir of Three Continents, Two Friends, and One Unexpected Adventure
  • Departures: A Guide to Letting Go, One Adventure at a Time
  • River Phoenix: A Short Life
  • Weegee: The Autobiography
  • Photographers on Photography: How the Masters See, Think, and Shoot (History of Photography, Pocket Guide, Art History)
  • The One Hour Content Plan: The Solopreneur’s Guide to a Year’s Worth of Blog Post Ideas in 60 Minutes and Creating Content That Hooks and Sells
  • Places I Stopped on the Way Home: A Memoir of Chaos and Grace
  • Globejotting: How to Write Extraordinary Travel Journals (and Still Have Time to Enjoy Your Trip!)
  • Blue Ocean Strategy, Expanded Edition: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant
  • The Healing Code: 6 Minutes to Heal the Source of Your Health, Success, or Relationship Issue
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1)
  • Never Mind the Bullocks