Start by marking “Against the Odds” as Want to Read:
Against the Odds

Read eBook

Against the Odds

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  253 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Tired of dealing with an unfaithful husband after seven years of marriage, Raine Edmunds finally gets a divorce. Wanting to start over, she leaves her successful modeling career behind and goes to a ranch near Roswell, New Mexico to stay with her best friend. The ranch is the perfect place for her to take stock of her life and all she's accomplished.

Then Raine meets Hayden
Paperback, Second Edition, 263 pages
Published March 5th 2011 by Jewel of the West (first published March 9th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Against the Odds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Odds

Arch
Sep 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking To Read A Clean Romance Book
Recommended to Arch by: Rae Lori
This is the first book that I have read by Jewel Adams and I've really enjoyed it. I really don't care for books that are in first person, but I liked Mrs. Adams' voice in this book. This is a sweet romance book.

The book is about a woman named Raine, who's a sucessful model and who has gotten divorced from a selfish man. A man that didn't love her one bit. He wants to go play in the chicken pen and thinks he still deserves to have royalty as well.

I'm glad that Raine realized that she deserved b
CaliGirlRae
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sweet Contemporary Romance Fans, Women's Fiction fans
Shelves: bwwm
Against the Odds is good ole fashioned romance wrapped in your favorite blanket. I really enjoyed the author's voice in this story and the way she presented the story, although not traditionally romance, was a nice welcome addition to the genre.

As we open, our heroine Raine is getting a divorce from her cheating husband Jerome. She moves to New Mexico, leaving the comforts of her home and her high paying modeling job, to start anew on her friend Caroline and David's farm. As she settles in, she
Mary Walling
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Against the Odds"
by Jewel Adams

"My own decision to marry hadn't been motivated by real love, a fact that I will always regret. And now I was facing the consequences of that choice. I suddenly wondered if I would ever know real love. Did I even know what real love was? Would I know it when it came? If it came?"

Raine Allen is a beautiful woman recently divorced from Jerome Edmunds. She married for all the wrong reasons. The choices she made were her own. A modeling career, money, prestigue, a han
Rachel
Sep 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raine Edmunds, aching from a difficult divorce at the end of a painful marriage to a womanizer, moves to Roswell, New Mexico to get away. She desires to start over with a clean slate and a life different from the one she left behind. Then she meets Hayden, a rugged cowboy. He is good looking, sweet, kind, and faithful, everything her ex was not. Will two people from drastically different worlds be able to find healing love in each other's arms?

Jewel Adams' novella has all the makings of a romanc
Marie Higgins
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
"Against The Odds" is a tender, romantic, and endearing story of a woman, Raine, who has been hurt from a previous relationship. Through her journey to recover, she meets Hayden - one very kind-hearted cowboy. (Gotta love cowboys, darlin') She becomes friends with Hayden since she's not ready for a new relationship, but over time they grow to love each other - with a few bumps along the way.

This story is about love and committment, about trusting and believing. Jewel Adams has written a very swe
Kaylee
Aug 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Against the Odds is a fun, lighthearted read. It begins after Raine's divorce is final and she moves to "white man's land" to live with some friends of hers on their ranch. There, she meets extremely manly and handsome Hayden and they hit it off right away.

I thought the dialogue was very well written and Hayden was especially witty. Raine's spunk was refreshing. It was nice to read a female character in a romance who wasn't hopeless, who could stand up for herself, and didn't run away at the fi
Tifferz
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great clean romance.
Jewel did a great job developing the characters
and the story had a good pace to it.
I enjoyed this story from start to finish.
I look forward to reading more from Jewel Adams.
Mary Kate
Jul 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tooth ache sweet

It's a cute story you will enjoy. It seems if things could go wrong they do. Is it their faith or just luck that they make it thru the tough times
Lynelle Clark
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ranch
Although an interracial romance novel the focus in this book is not on the intrigues normally associated with such a relationship. The author’s focus was rather on choices we all have to make in life making sure that our future is peaceful and happy.
We meet the two lovers Raine and Hayden Mckade. Their life so far apart and different from each other that you could not phantom how the two would ever come together.
Raine, married to Jerome finally booted him for all his infidelities in the years t
Lynelle Clark
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although an interracial romance novel the focus in this book is not on the intrigues normally associated with such a relationship. The author 19s focus was rather on choices we all have to make in life making sure that our future is peaceful and happy.
Jo-Anne
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Raine Edmunds recently divorced her husband Jerome who repeatedly cheated on her. She realized that she hadn’t married him because she was madly in love with him but for the life she thought she wanted and could have with him, such as a life in the city with prestige, a modeling career and a handsome, successful husband. Now she knows that is not what she wants so she moves to her friends’, Caroline and David McKade, ranch in New Mexico to start over and find the life she really wants. Raine set ...more
Leah
Apr 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm not into romance novels like this so maybe I'm not being fair, but I am reviewing compared to what I like to read. That's all I can do.

The whole thing is so cliched it's not even funny. We have the tall, "dark", and handsome bachelor (he's actually white, while she's the dark one). The two instantly fall in love. It's all perfect. Even the bad stuff that happens is perfect. Everything happens so quickly. It's a rush to get it all in one story. It's not believable.

Raine is a model from Atlant
Teno Q.
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, novels
Raine Edmunds escapes to New Mexico after divorcing her cheater of an ex-husband. There, on a peaceful ranch with friends, she finds love again. When opportunity calls her back to her big-city life as a model, her decision not to go back challenges her to merge the two worlds of herself and her man. They succeed, but the odds don't end there.

And that's the scope of it. Not bad. The plot is simple, but it fits the short length and the love story is sweet and endearing.

I have only read two of her
Rachel
Sep 15, 2009 rated it liked it

Jewel Adams' novella has all the makings of a romanc
Joy
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was ok

Against the Odds is a contemporary interracial romance, 178 pages and it’s a clean, sweet romance that starts in the city but ends on a ranch in Roswell, New Mexico.

The author didn’t rush the romance, it developed at a slow believable pace for both Hayden and Raine particularly Raine fresh from a divorce from her philandering hubby Jerome. Raine won’t be rushed into another relationship, not this time, she’s going to enjoy her holiday and a break from her modelling career, still there’s no mist
Darla
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Oh I really enjoyed this book! I loved me some Hayden and Raine, I loved how their relationship started, that slow build of attraction and love. They were friends who laughed easily together and enjoyed one another's company whether they held a conversation or not; and before either of them knew it, or were willing to admit it, they were in love. It seems like their relationship moved quick from there, but it all fit in with the tone of the story. It moved at a fast clip, but I'm not really comp ...more
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I was initially turned off by the dialogue between Raine and Jerome but I went back to the book later and made myself continue reading, and I really did enjoy the story. I agree with a few comments made by other reviewers, namely that the obstacles Raine and Hayden faced were trying but not really "against the odds" and that at times the extent to which they each found the other to be fantastic was a bit too much. There are a few grammatical errors, wrong words and missing words but the story is ...more
LAWonder10
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Raine had reached the limits of her tolerance.
She was a successful model who made a lot of
money but she wasn't happy. Things had not been good
with her husband Jerome for awhile. Then he admitted
to cheating on her and that was the last straw.
She felt she had to get away.
her bet friend had married a man who owned a ranch.
Raine could not believe how happy Caroline was with
her new life and husband, David.
Raine called and Caroline insisted she come and stay with
them on the ranch as long as she w
werejumpinbooks
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Talk about a sweet romance! Jewel has definitely captured me while I was reading. It was different, only because it was set in the first person form. However, that did not change that I could not put down this book!
I loved the fact how she played out the racism, and how it all worked out in the end. That is truly how it should be right? We should all be able to get along and find love regardless of color, or anything else. We should value one another, she did show that. You could wrap yourself u
Natalie
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quiet winter days call for a good book. Short is usually better because life is never quiet for too long. This is the first book I've read from this author. It was short and sweet with just the right amount of chemistry. I enjoyed the characters and the relatively uncomplicated relationship. I really need a happily ever after ending and sometimes I need it to come quickly. The temperature outside my house is a balmy 18 degrees F, so the descriptions of desert summer were nice (of course I could ...more
Andrea
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Against the Odds is a sweet romance. I really enjoyed that the relationship between Raine and Hayden came at a realistic pace, and that they were completely dedicated to each other.

The writing has such a unique feel. Almost like journal entries, but not quite. I felt like I really got to know Raine well, and I was very happy for her being brave enough to leave her familiar life behind to start fresh.

There's a mild swearword or two, and Raine and Hayden are very passionate, but nothing explicit.
Christina OW
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i enjoyed this book. Not many that have a title with 'love story' in it live up to expectations but this one did. Some of this rating were 2 and 1 and i bet those were the guys looking for action, gasping conflicts, vilains we all love to hate and such. But this book didn't have that. What this book had was real. Things we experience everyday- insecurity. The vilains were the main characters themselves and it was nice to see them battling and defeating it as the story went on.

This was a romantic
Danielle
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friends
Recommended to Danielle by: Free ebook on Amazon
Shelves: jewel-adams
Raine Edmunds, fashion model, divorces her husband Jerome who repeatedly cheated on her. Leaving her prestige career in Atlanta she goes to New Mexico to stay with her friend, Caroline and her husband David McKade on their ranch. She then becomes friends with Hayden McKade and the attraction between these to grow. She loves this easygoing life and looking forward to her future with Hayden. Raine was determined to handle her new life making her own decisions even when an offer comes her way but s ...more
Penny
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty good

I don't know why the author put so much emphasis on the fact that the girl was black and the guy wasn't she pretty much had an attitude about it or something. There's racially mixed couples every day now it's not uncommon and it's not like it's frowned upon or anything so I don't know why she would make it so in the book.

I think it could've been a really good book the author put too much focus on the fact that the girl was not the same race as the person she was marrying. T
The Talent Cave Reviews
Novel
Reviewed by: Maven

2 Flames – Hissing Warm
3.5 Stars – Good

Against the Odds is a sweet interracial romance about a former model and a cowboy.

I liked the character of Raine, the premises of the book, and the way it was written, like reading a letter or personal memoir. However taking the story as a whole there were some slow moments and a lack of intensity.

For more go to: http://thetalentcaverevi
--karen Green-berry
Hayden and Raine- BRAB Online Book Club

I have loved everyone of this author's books. She is a great storyteller whose characters tug at your heartstrings and make you fall in love with them.

Hayden and Raine met after she found out her husband, Jerome had cheated yet again. Determined to divorce him and restart her life, she met Hayden. Their romance and chemistry makes this a very interesting read
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, quick read. Adams has a knack for writing romance stories, for sure. Lots of steamy kisses and a strong, sexy male lead character. What's not to love about that?! As with the other book I read by this author, I found the love, loyalty and devotion appealing. Books that take you away for awhile and make you feel good in the end are what it's all about.

My thanks to the author for allowing me to read and review this book.
Elise-Pinterest+Goodreads=The Perfect Book Boyfriend
Good clean romance. Heroine just got out of recent divorce, goes to the ranch of a friend to think things through. Meets friends' brother-in-law and the rest is history. At times the story feels a little rushed, especially at the end, but this is a sweet romance with no overt love scenes. It's is good if you don't like erotica or very descriptive sex scenes. I would loan is book. TTFN-Sandy
Laura York
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Raine & Hayden are one of my favorite characters from her books. I loved reading it. Heck, I'm sure I will be reading it again soon. I love the passion between Raine & Hayden and enjoying reading about their lives. This is recommended to anyone who loves romance novels. You will fall in love with the characters & their beautiful love.
Betty
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful romantic love story about two very different people. Love does not run smoothly but it is consistant. There are several twists and turns in the plot and I was not sure of a happy ending untill almost the last paragraph. I loved the characters and the writer's voice. All in all a very good read.
  • Staking His Claim
  • Finding Opa! (The Lonely Hearts, #2)
  • Be With You
  • Cory's Salvation
  • Color Blind
  • The Object of Love
  • Taming the Scotsman
I am a mother of eight, and grandmother, a published author and motivational speaker.

ATTENTION: Some of the titles showing up in my list of published books are not mine but are written by another author by the same name. I write clean romance and many of her titles are erotica. This is NOT cool and I have no idea why this keeps happening. If you are unsure about which titles are mine, please visit
More about Jewel Adams...

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Royal Affair (Royals in Exile, #2)
  • Through the Smoke
  • Finding Bliss
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Rose Garden
    $16.99 $2.99
  • Frozen
  • She Has Your Eyes
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed by His Charm (Dirty Little Secrets, #4)