Start by marking “Doctor Who Series III, Vol. 4: Dead Man's Hand” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who Series III, Vol. 4: Dead Man's Hand

Doctor Who Series III, Vol. 4: Dead Man's Hand

(Doctor Who: Series III #13-16)

The Doctor and Clara cross paths with Oscar Wilde and Calamity Jane in the frontier town of Deadwood as they pay their respects to the recently passed Wild Bill Hickok. But soon they discover the grave is empty and that the town is being plagued by a masked gunman who shoots his victims with nothing but a finger! Plus, the short story "Escape Into Alcatraz."
Published January 14th 2014 by IDW Publishing (first published December 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who Series III, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who Series III, Vol. 4

Start your review of Doctor Who Series III, Vol. 4: Dead Man's Hand
Laura Floyd
An entertaining read, left behind by one of our guests because she saw we were Doctor Who fans and thought a story set in Deadwood would be perfect to pass along. I was impressed with how many details about 1882 Deadwood they got right. I suspect they must have used some actual photos for reference, and they'd done decent research on the history. The two things that were kind of wonky (y'know, other than the mind-controlling aliens and reanimated corpses) were the fact that characters standing i ...more
Andy Hickman
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Doctor Who Vol.4: Dead Man's Hand (IDW)
The Doctor & Clara go to Deadwood, Dakota, in 1882, where they encounter Oscar Wilde, Calamity Jane and … (a dead) Wild Bill Hickok.
Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor Archives #35 - Dead Man's Hand #1 (Doctor Who: Series III #13)

{Referring to Oscar Wilde} the Sheriff says: “I was reading in the paper that we have some kind of novelist visiting us soon. Wild something or other. What kind of novelist uses a name like 'wild', anyway? Wild Indian? Wild bear?” (p5)
Adam Graham
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the last volume in IDW's run on Doctor Who.

The story has the Doctor and Clara arriving in Deadwood at the same time Calamity Jane and Oscar Wilde are there. However, mystery develops when it turns out the body of the recently deceased Wild Bill Hickock is missing and the Doctor discovers an alien who is ready to pass judgment on the Earth.

This is a really solid story. There's a lot going on here, but not too much to fit into 80 page of comic book storytelling. It's a really proper West
Callie *Fights Censorship*
This book contains 2 stories.

The main story- Dead Man's Hand Had a lot going on and unfortunately none of it really worked. First off there was an overload of historical cameos involving Calamity Jane, Wild Bill Hickok, Thomas Edison, and Oscar Wilde it really seemed unnecessary and completely overkill.

On top of that it is trying to pull off a Wild West setting, has appearances by all of the previous Doctors for no other reason besides it being the 50th anniversary, and tries to connect to Do
Ian Williamson
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think bringing Tony Lee back for the final installment of the IDW series was a masterful stroke. Lee has always shown an amazing ability for writing many different incarnations of the Doctor and allowing him to tell this story felt as though he was finishing what he started in style. Dead Mans Hand may not be the best story he has ever written but it works well as the last story, nods to the past, present and even future of the TV series are nice extras. And the B story is also fun to read. Th ...more
Shannon
Not a bad addition to the Doctor Who graphic novel collection, but not all that great either. I'm not a huge fan of historical cameos, and this one is packed full of them. For me it's a bit jarring to go back to an Eleventh Doctor story as I'm just getting used to the Twelfth Doctor at this point, and this volume highlights how unimportant Clara was to the show then versus now. I'd place the main story in this volume after the 50th but before the last episode with Eleven (obviously). At first I ...more
Demian Katz
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's just a little too much going on here for the story's own good: Doctor Who, set in Deadwood, with Oscar Wilde visiting, and a kidnapped Thomas Edison for good measure (not to mention the inevitable alien invasion). A bit of a mess, really, but mildly amusing. I probably would have given it at most three stars, but then I got to the bonus cover art in the back and found the design for the "dime novel" version of the book. Given my peculiar tastes, that was a very amusing little surprise an ...more
Shannon Appelcline
I have to admit that as a whole I've never been too impressed with IDW's Doctor Who comics. Some of the individual stories were interesting (with Prisoners of Time being one of the most innovative), but in general they weren't original enough to be really memorable.

Sadly, that's as true of this last volume as most of the rest. Yet another western with invading aliens just doesn't stand out, even with Oscar Wilde along for the ride.

I'm hoping that the next run of Doctor Who comics will be more ex
Anika Claire
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable romp through the wild west with the Eleventh Doctor and Clara, complete with Calamity Jane, Oscar Wilde and Thomas Edison.

The artwork in this one was a lot better than others I've seen recently - the artists have captured Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman's facial expressions quite well and the writing actually has a Moffatt-y feel to it.

There's a shorter story at the end featuring a prison escape into (and out of) Alcatraz which was also really great!
James Bowman
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, comics, dr-who
IDW's Doctor Who comics end on a decently good note here, with the main story being a SF-western mashup. Also a few nods to previous IDW Doctor Who tales. (Unfortunately, this collection does not include the Doctor Who Special, "The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who". You'll have to find that elsewhere.) (B)
Rick
Quality has really dropped. I don't know if this was just rushed or if the author is getting burned out, but this was not nearly was well structured as previous Doctor Who,/i> stories from IDW. There is too much reliance on reusing humor from the television episodes, not enough creativity to illustrate that the author really groks the Doctor's current personality. ...more
Thebruce1314
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy historical Doctor Who stories. This one has Oscar Wilde, Thomas Edison, Calamity Jane and Wild Bill Hickock, not to mention the bonus story about Alcatraz. The eleventh Doctor is silly and quirky, and that personality comes through in this story. A good stand-alone story and a nice addition for Whovians.
Nicole Weber
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
just not really a fan of reading comics I guess
David
Jan 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comic-books
Doctor Who and Clara meet Oscar Wilde in the old Wild West of America. Sounds good. And I tried getting into this several times, but it didn't work for me.
Deena
Sep 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
I really liked the premise of this comic, but the execution was terrible. Didn't care much for the artwork either. This might have been better as a novelization.
Sara Habein
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, e-book, own
Quite good, though a bit crammed full of real life characters.
Jason
Dec 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, graphic-novels
Good artwork, nice callbacks to earlier comics (and episodes), and some nice nods to the 50th anniversary nicely wrap up Doctor Who's final IDW arc.
Kadie

• Spider-Man: The Gathering of Five
  • Doctor Who: Time Lord Victorious: Defender of the Daleks
  • Batman, Vol. 1: Their Dark Designs
  • Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Vol. 1: Revolutions of Terror
  • Doctor Who Series III, Vol. 3: Sky Jacks!
  • Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Vol. 3: The Fountains of Forever
  • Firefly: Legacy Edition Book Two
  • Very Important Corpses (Ishmael Jones, #3)
  • Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor, Vol. 1: After Life
  • A Boldly Daring Scheme (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries, #7)
  • De Engelen van Nostradamus (Arthus Trivium, #1)
  • Doctor Who: The Scales of Injustice
A New York Times Best-selling Graphic Novelist, Tony Lee was born in West London, UK in 1970. Informed by a teacher that he had a comic book style of writing, (a comment meant more as an insult), Tony decided that one day he would write for comics.

Tony has written for a variety of mediums including Radio 4, The BBC, commerical television in both the UK and US, magazines and both local and national

Doctor Who: Series III (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Doctor Who: Series III #1