Start by marking “Something Yellow” as Want to Read:

Something Yellow

It has been thirteen years since Holly’s nine-year-old sister, Rachel, disappeared without a trace.

It has been thirteen years since Holly left her hometown.

It has been thirteen years since Holly’s first love and high school boyfriend, Houston, was the only suspect.

Now another nine-year-old girl has disappeared.

Holly is back, and so is Houston—never charged and still proc
Published October 2013 by Cup of Tea Books, an imprint of PageSpring Publishing (first published September 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Something Yellow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Yellow

The Button Collector by Elizabeth   JenningsSouthern Mystical Moments by Patricia H. GrahamHillbilly Tales from the Smoky Mountains - And Other Homespun... by Patricia H. GrahamNew Yesterdays by Jim L. WrightPast, Present, and Promises by Patricia H. Graham
southern fiction
207 books — 125 voters
The Help by Kathryn StockettWater for Elephants by Sara GruenThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Book Club List
624 books — 981 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Something Yellow
Kristin Coxe
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I REALLY loved this book. This was the first book I have ever read by this author and I'm pretty sure this was her debut novel. I am TOTALLY impressed. I was pulled into the story right from the beginning and the author did a fantastic job of making readers care about each character. Even though I figured out a big part of the "twist" early on (I'm an avid reader of Joyce Carol Oates, so twists from other authors rarely surprise me anymore! lol) I was still surprised by how much I was affected b ...more
Rebecca
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I felt a connection with the main character, Holly, right from the beginning. She returns to her small mountain hometown to care for her ailing mother. Her old boyfriend and her brother have come home, also, and old wounds are opened when a child goes missing. Similar to Sarah Jio’s The Violets of March, the mysteries of the past haunt everyone’s lives. The characters are all complex and real, and the author does a great job of making each element of the story have importance to the book as a wh ...more
Carol James
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Set among the glorious Appalachian Mountains, Laura Templeton's debut novel, Something Yellow, is an intriguing combination of mystery, romance, and the study of family relationships and values. Her heroine, Holly, is strong and independent, and her hero, Houston, is the perfect blend of mystery and warmth. Ms. Templeton's descriptions are exquisite, painting lovely word pictures that resonate within the reader's heart. I highly recommend this book as an addition to any library.
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Something Yellow is a hard one for me to rate. It was very well written, but the story was missing something. It was a good read though. The cover makes it look like a nice story. Maybe some high school kids meet and fall in love in the flowers or something. I mean I understand why the field of flowers are there now, but it is so upbeat it doesn't prepare you for the pretty depressing story that it is. Not that I minded that. I actually really enjoy sad depressing stories.

Holly's sister Rachel d
Jess Bickerton
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I was offered the opportunity to join the blog tour for Something Yellow I couldn’t wait to read it. I had recently read a few other mystery novels and really enjoyed them, so was excited to get stuck into this one.

As soon as I started reading Something Yellow I couldn’t put it down, and subsequently read it from cover to cover in one afternoon/evening.

Laura Templeton has created a really gripping story which follows the protagonist, Holly, whose life (and her family’s) was drastically af
Michelle
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal story of secrets and coming home

To say this story sucked me in is an understatement, I was fully immersed in it. The secrets that haunt us affect everything and sorrow can lead to happiness, ultimately love.
Erin
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
To be entirely honest, I opened this book and expected to hate it. The plot sounded intriguing and the cover was pretty, but the pages were so dense. The margins and the words were both teeny tiny, and the first paragraph seemed to set the stage for the rest of the book: difficult to read. Once I read further, though, I became accustomed to the writing style and completely fell in love with it. The story was full of realistic ups and downs of an average person’s life. I enjoyed every second of i ...more
Jen
Aug 02, 2014 rated it liked it
A quiet Appalachian town plagued with unpleasant memories of her sister's disappearance and a sense of being trapped for Holly McCann was reason enough to leave 13 years ago. But because of her mother's decline from cancer, she comes home to care for her and learns more about the town, the disappearances, and herself.

To read this, and other book reviews, visit my website:http://jenpaul13.wix.com/makinggoodst....

Laura Templeton's Something Yellow finds Holly's homecoming tainted with the disappea
Tamara
Review originally posted: Traveling With T

This book was sent to Traveling With T in exchange for a honest review.

Something Yellow

Holly has returned to her mountain home in Virgina. It is not a happy return- Holly’s mother is dying and Holly returns to help take care of her in the last months of her life. Holly is upset about her mother, but her life has changed drastically for other reasons, too. Holly has lost her job in Atlanta, she’s put her effort into work and now feels she doesn’t have muc
Kathleen
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
In her debut novel, Something Yellow, author Laura Templeton weaves a wonderful multi-layered story that features an intriguing mixture of mystery, romantic suspense, and women's fiction.

Thirteen years ago, Holly McCann left her Appalachian Mountains hometown of White Cove, Virginia, for Atlanta, vowing never to return. But when she lost her banking executive position to the Great Recession, Holly returned home to take care of her mother, who is dying from breast cancer. Coming home is not easy
Cecilia Dominic
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-fiction
Women's fiction meets suspense (please click on review to read the full thing - formatting is posting weird from my iThing)

I started reading Laura Templeton's Something Yellow on Friday and in spite of needing to attend to a draft of one of my own books, I had to finish it yesterday. This surprised me because I'm not a big fan of women's fiction.

Holly McCann, a banker who lost her job during the Great Recession, has returned to the small Virginia town where she grew up to take care of her mother
Hilary Grossman
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Something Yellow by Laura Templeton, is a wonderful book that keeps you at the edge of your seat. I immediately fell in love with Holly. I was able to understand her emotions, motivations, and fears - especially with respect to Houston. All the supporting characters were well developed (so much so I hope that there is a sequel in the works).

There were a lot of twists and turns in the plot. I love that the story wasn’t predictable. I felt a wide range of emotions as I read. I even cried a little.
Nicky
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I don't usually read books like these because it's not really my favorite genre, but I must admit that I don't regret reading this one. I actually liked it!

There were some moments though that I was annoyed by some things. Like for example the wounds/scars on Oliver’s wrists. They’re regularly mentioned, but the narrator, Holly, never asks about them, even though she worries about it. I often thought “Just ask him already!!”, but that’s most probably just me being impatient. It didn’t stop me fro
Elaine
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: us-romance-drama
I really enjoyed this family drama told from the perspective of Holly, aged 31 who left home 13 years ago after her 9 year old sister Rachel went missing. Now she is back to take care of her dying mother and another girl has disappeared. Holly was always convinced that her boyfriend at the time, Houston was responsible, but nobody believed. He left town at the same time but now, coincidentally, he has returned as well.

I really loved the Virginia mountains setting filled with characters who are a
Cheryl
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wanted to give this story three and a half stars but couldn't, so I rounded it up to four. (I rarely give five stars.) The reason for the half star deduction is that the suspense always seemed to meander off in another direction.

A large part of the book deals with the heroine reconnecting with her community and old friends and relatives. That might put it more into the women's fiction category than mystery.

Thirteen years before the story starts, Holly left her small hometown when her nine-year
Mary
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As I was reading this book two words kept coming to mind—vivid and elegant. Laura Templeton has a true gift for setting, characters, and imagery, giving her use of language an elegance that made me savor each page. It’s a great mystery, too. On the surface, it’s about Holly McCann returning to her hometown to care for her dying mother. The family drifted apart after Holly’s nine year old sister, Rachael, disappeared 13 years earlier. Soon after her arrival, a neighbor’s child goes missing which ...more
Angel **Book Junkie**
3 Stars - Not because I did not like the book and not because I loved the book but because this book was pretty darn good. I had a love/hate relationship with the book and truly did not like some of the twists and turns in the book.

Spoiler: The thing with the Coach was pretty weird to me and did not really hold a place in such a suspenseful, real, and true book. I liked Holly but then again for some reason I felt that I would have connected with Rachel a little more. I felt like every time that
LAKristy
Well written with minor editing issues. This is a stand-alone book.

There are many things I liked about this very original story, but ultimately I sort of dreaded picking it up to continue the story because just when you think things can't get worse, they actually do. Several times. I like suspense, and romantic suspense, but this book doesn't quite fit either of those genres. It's definitely suspenseful and there are glimmers of romance, but it's also more contemporary fiction with the deeply br
Samantha March
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Laura Templeton is now on tour with CLP Blog Tours and Something Yellow
Um, wow. What a read. This book is so emotional, so gripping, that is was nearly impossible for me to put down. When I wasn’t reading I was thinking about the story, wondering about the missing little girls and Holly’s family life and the little town that has seen so much sadness. The writing is beautiful and poignant, and builds up the scenes in your mind as you frantically flip through the pages trying to find the resolutio
Nikki Barrett
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Something Yellow is a beautifully weaved story of many things: love, loss, mystery, intrigue, forgiveness, and so much more. The mystery definitely pulled me in, and as the main characters lives are entwined by yet another similar disappearance that shattered their world years ago, it's time for the ghosts to come out- not spirits, of course, but the ghosts of their past.

The story held me from page one and never let go until the end. The writing is well done, with a great pace and so much to th
J. A.  Lewis
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a story of a woman who returns to her small town to care for her dying mother. She is haunted by the past events of her young sister's abduction, her past relationship with a man whom she believes was involved and a distant relationship with her brother. I thought this was well written with descriptive dialogue. Towards the middle of the book, it isn't hard to figure out what has happened to her sister. This is an ok read with a light mystery. I must admit I did not like the ending but w ...more
L.A. Frazier
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing

An intriguing story with memorable characters. Instead of rehashing the story let me tell you why you will enjoy reading this book. The quality writing and moving story line carry you away to a hometown that is not yours - but you can't seem to leave until Holly (the main character) lets you go. And when she does - you will sigh and wish you could have stayed longer. Now go read the book - great for book clubs too! (There were Discussion Questions in the back.)

Lisa
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed reading this book- I'm from the mountains of Southwest Virginia and it was a refreshing change not to have my people depicted as lazy, uneducated, toothless inbreeders. The characters were well-rounded, successful, and intelligent. The story was part mystery, part supernatural, with a little romance thrown in. All those elements made for a haunting tale.
Sue
Holly left her home in the Appalachian's, vowing never to return. 13 years later she comes back to take care of her dying mother. She is forced to face the disappearance of her sister Rachel, many years ago when another girl about the same age disappears. She blamed her old boyfriend, Houston, for her sister's disappearance, and now is beginning to blame him again. Could it be just coincidence? I enjoyed the book and found it an easy read.
Cathy Falk
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Tori Burton
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this book for free in one of the giveaways and I'm glad that I did. It was wonderful! Very well written and suspenseful. Both myself and my mom enjoyed the book. I would recommend this to anyone who loves a good mystery filled with romance and drama.
Ashley
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was incredible. So many twists and turns. Just when you think you have it figured out you find out something completely different. I loved this book and couldn't put it down. I would definitely recommend it to everyone.
Katie
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
I liked some parts of this book. Like others, I figured out the ending fairly early on, and I feel like the conclusion was both a little too neat *and* missing some information. I almost wonder if the author was setting up a sequel, but I don't know what would be in it, really.
Marla Bradeen
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Something Yellow is a touching novel about one woman's journey to come to terms with past tragedies. The heroine, her family, and their struggles are easy to empathize with. The story is well-written and engaging, although it struck me as more contemporary fiction than mystery.
Lesley Eichten
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Perfect vacation book! The writer has a lovely style, I often re-read paragraphs just to enjoy the feelings she brought through. Though the ending was a little weak I really enjoyed reading this story.

• The Last of the Moon Girls
  • Bad Memory (Jessica Shaw, #2)
  • See How She Runs (The Chronicles of Izzy, #1)
  • Sleepers (The Swarm Trilogy, #1)
  • Heir Untamed (Latvala Royals, #1)
  • Cleo McDougal Regrets Nothing
  • The Other Brooks Boy (Texas Wildfire, #1)
  • Wilde's Fire (Darkness Falls, #1)
  • The Other Wife
  • Call Your Daughter Home
  • Outmatched
  • Pitch Black (Blackwood Security, #1)
  • Isis' Betrayal (Dark Warrior Alliance, #4; Rowan Sisters' Trilogy, #2)
  • The Vixen and the Vet (A Modern Fairytale #1)
  • Her Dakota Man (Dakota Hearts, #1)
  • Honeysuckle Season
  • Deadly Magic (Grace Holliday Mystery #1)
  • The Accidental Mail Order Bride (Chance at Love, #3)
Laura Templeton lives near Athens, Georgia, with her husband, son, and a menagerie of animals. When she’s not writing, she enjoys gardening, learning to figure skate, and taking long walks on the quiet country roads near her home. Something Yellow is her debut novel, and her creative nonfiction has appeared in various publications.