Start by marking “Meditations with Meister Eckhart” as Want to Read:
Meditations with Meister Eckhart

Meditations with Meister Eckhart

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  218 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Meister Eckhart was a 13th-century mystic, prophet, feminist, declared heretic, and an early advocate of creation-centered spirituality. This tradition affirms humanity’s potential to act divinely, and it embraces life--living and dying, growing old and sinning, groaning and celebrating--as the creative energy of God in motion. For Eckhart, to be spiritual is to be awake a ...more
Published June 1st 1983 by Bear Company

To ask other readers questions about Meditations with Meister Eckhart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meditations with Meister Eckhart

Mohammad Mahdi Fallah
کتاب متن 4 مکاشفه (یا راه) از مایستر اکهارت، یکی از بزرگترین عارفین آلمانی است که هرچند مختصر است ولی بسیار مفید و راهگشاست. مکاشفه (راه) اول که آفرینش نام دارد در حقیقت یگانگی و وحدت خداوند با موجودات است و در حقیقت در سنت اسلامی، الهیات تشبیهی عرفان اکهارت را نمایندگی میکند. مکاشفه (راه) دوم ترک هستی و حضور نام دارد که از خدا ماسوی موجودات سخن میگوید و شاید بتوان آن را معادل الهیات تنزیهی در سنت اسلامی دانست. مکاشفه سوم (راه) با عنوان ظهور خود، ظهور خدا در حقیقت به دروننگری انسان میپردازد و در ...more
Mike
May 08, 2009 rated it liked it
This is the only Christian mystic that I have ever read from this time period, so I have nothing to compare it with. The book is full of reflections on God, some of which are enlightening and others which are confusing. Its a mixed bag but I am glad I read it.
Kevin
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
A Zen master in Germany 600 years before anyone in Germany heard of Buddhism. Pretty amazing stuff.
tooka A
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
این عارف بزرگ مسیحی نفوذ و نگرش ژرفی در عرفان مدرن جهان دارد آیا کسی کتاب یا مقاله دیگری به فارسی درباره مایستر اکهارت میشناسد که معرفی کند ؟ لطفا؟.
اگرچه سبک ترجمه آزاد چندان باب طبع من نیست اما این کتاب ظاهرا تنها کتاب فارسی از مایستر اکهارت وقطعا عالی است - درباره مایستر اکهارت تنها چیزی که هست ظاهرا از آثار اقای کاکایی است
L.A. Emrich
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have carried a copy of this book around the world with me... literally! I read it again, and again, and again!
mrsrou
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
I enjoyed this. Read it all through the first time, and plan on revisiting it now and again to think a little deeper or meditate on certain passages. I marked my top favorite pages to revisit first!
Lenny
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I know that Matthew Fox employs a somewhat dubious position for most, but I loved his poetic arrangement of lines from Eckhart's sermons. Magical.
Seth Thomas
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had been longing to read this book ever since learning of Eckhart from Peter Rollins' How (Not) to Speak of God. Short snippets of incredibly beautiful and dense philosophy/theology, this will be a well to which I return many times throughout my life, I hope.

The Breakthrough section is particularly interesting and applicable in my own life today. The sense of being Created out of God, through the rupturing of God, emerging and returning, being made by the ultimate Maker, is beautiful. As I wo
Andrei Stinga
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
With words both simple and profound, M. Eckhart manages to bypass our mental artificial constructs and show us glimpses of what life is truly all about. I am sure I will be reading this one time and again, and if ever get stranded on an island with only a handful of books, this would most definitely be one of them.

It puts the Middle Ages in a whole new perspective for me if it was able to produce and thinkers like Meister Eckhart.

Translation wise, Matthew Fox seems to have done a terrific job.
James Ryan
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful introduction to Meister Eckhart's insights - as relevant now as they were in the 1600s. I will now pursue some of his translated sermons.
Nancy
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Written as though poetry and presented as four pathways, this book continues to inspire me and is one I pull off the shelf from time to time to re-read.

The four paths: Via positiva, via negativa, via creativa, via transformativa.

It is called a Centring book and that it is.

Standard on my bookshelf!
Amy
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
These are very short meditations, which are good for daily reading. This translation is very readable. Meister Eckhart is one of my favorites-anytime someone is labeled a prophet, mystic, feminist and a heretic in the same sentence "has me" at the word go!
Tammiw
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I got this book after listening to an interview with John O'Donohoue on On Being. He suggested it as source material. I just couldn't get into it this time around. I'll have to stick to rereading Anam Cara for now.
Diane Adams
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was my final book for the 2015 Reading Challenge--category: a book your mom loves. It was short, but not the sort of thing I usually read, so it took me a while to get through it. Definitely interesting, a lot of things to think about, but still not really my thing.
LemontreeLime
May 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Definitely a writer I will have to spend more time getting to know, even if he has been dead for over 600 years.
Ike
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Some truly thought provoking meditations. I'll have to look into reading more from Meister Eckhart.
Justin
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spirituality
Was hard for me to get anything out of this. The writing was poetic and obscured the meaning for me
Spencer Clevenger
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent concise retelling of the great master's thoughts.
Claire
  • Listening for the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Spirtuality
  • Soultypes: Matching Your Personality and Spiritual Path
  • Bible and Mission: Christian Witness in a Postmodern World
  • The Earth Is Enough: Growing Up in a World of Flyfishing, Trout & Old Men
  • The Big Book of Christian Mysticism: The Essential Guide to Contemplative Spirituality
  • The Celtic Way of Prayer: The Recovery of the Religious Imagination
  • How Big Is Your God?: The Freedom to Experience the Divine
  • The Shattered Lantern: Rediscovering a Felt Presence of God
  • The Beauty of Christ through Brokenness
  • The Open Secret: An Introduction to the Theology of Mission
Matthew Fox (born 1940) is an American Episcopal priest and theologian. He is an exponent of Creation Spirituality, a movement grounded in the mystical philosophies of medieval visionaries Hildegard of Bingen, Thomas Aquinas, Meister Eckhart and Nicholas of Cusa. His books have sold millions of copies and by the mid 1990s had a "huge and diverse following".
More about Matthew Fox...