Start by marking “Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)

Bad Thoughts

(Bill Shannon #1)

Policeman Billy Shannon still has nightmares about his mother's murder, 20 years ago. Sometimes he even blacks out and awakens only days later. When other women start dying in the same manner as his mother, the finger of suspicion turns to Billy.
Published July 1st 2007 by Five Star (ME)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Thoughts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Thoughts

Start your review of Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
Melki
Detective Bill Shannon is still coping with the memory of seeing his mother murdered over twenty years ago. Every year around the anniversary of her death, he loses time and disappears for a week or more, awakening disheveled and completely unaware of what has occurred, OR what he DID during his blackout.

Now women are being killed in the same grisly manner as Shannon's mother. Did Shannon have something to do with the murders, or is he being framed by a killer from his past?

The part
Heather
Sep 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: horror/suspense readers
Good page-turner. The supernatural element was a little cheesy, but the twist was nice.
Renee
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wcls
A good suspense-mystery that sneaks up on you with a little magical realism. Slick.
Silver Screen Videos
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of various types of genre fiction, but I especially enjoy authors who want to go beyond the bounds of their particular genre and come up with something different and compelling. Dave Zeltserman's Bad Thoughts starts out as a saga of a cop on the trail of a particularly depraved serial killer but soon goes far beyond that, becoming a highly effective and chilling blend of the hardboiled and the paranormal.

The protagonist of Bad Thoughts is Bill Shannon, a cop in a Boston suburb who has been
Nancy Osberg-otrembiak
Good read. I liked the idea of the ability to mentally leave yourself and invade someone's dreams/thoughts and actually affect their thinking.
Don't want to spoil with more info, but I really enjoyed this book.
Maddy
May 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007-reads

Human beings have a finite capacity to digest the evil that happens around them. At the age of 13, Billy Shannon walked into his home while his mother was in the act of being murdered. Incredibly, he was able to turn the tables on the killer, Herbert Winters. But Shannon has paid the price. Now it's 20 years later, he's a cop in Massachusetts; but he's never been able to put the whole incident to rest. Every year as the anniversary of his mother's death approaches, he escapes reality by going on
Leland
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction, horror
I rarely write more than a thought or two on my Goodreads reviews, but after finishing this book, I've got lots on my mind. I could easily give this story three or even fewer stars. But I didn't. I gave it four.

I recommend this book if you like hardboiled suspense with a touch of horror. If you like books with an edgy twist of the supernatural all the better.

I personally find most books with that kind of story unreadable.

But that's just the thing. I found Zeltserman's writing to be compellin
Benoit Lelièvre
This is a good example of really flawed book that keeps bending and twisting to keep your attention on the page despite its shortcomings. BAD THOUGHTS is melodramatic and has a plot worthy of airport paperbacks, but it's dynamic and unpredictable. It's what book you keep reading to know what-the-hell-is-going-to-happen-next?

Bill Shannon is equal parts cliché and original details. Loved that he's straight, hardass cop that is often maligned in that kind of stories. Love the detail abo
J.F. Juzwik
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you want to be completely creeped out, then, this is the book for you. There is a bad guy in this story who will show up throughout under the most unusual circumstances, and will have you looking over your shoulder and investigating every creak and house whisper before you're halfway into it.

Dave Zeltserman really has a gift when it comes to creating believable characters, and showing us the strength of the human spirit in the face of a nightmare. Definitely read Bad Thoughts on a dark, stor
Lori Henrich
Every year around February 10th Bill Shannon has a blackout. He doesn't know why and he can't remember where he goes and what he does. It has been happening for several years now. His marriage is just about over because of it. This year is different his dreams are being invaded but a person who is supposed to be dead. Bill is desperate to find out what is going on before the police arrest him for murder.

It was a attention grabbing story. I was worried that it might be a bit gruesome,
Dawnandtim
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a bedtime story! During the first few pages I came close to just closing this book and putting it in the "not worth the time" category, something I very rarely do, but kept reading and it did get quite a bit better. It's a combination of murder mystery and the supernatural, held my interest, and even though I might not recommend it to everyone because of some of the graphic brutality, it was worth the read.
Cottero
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery, kindle, owned
This mystery was just intriguing enough to keep my interest and make me want to finish reading the book. Overall, I thought the book was well written.However, three stars because the plot was not believable. Other reviewers felt the same and since this is the first in a series, I will probably read #2 to see if the supernatural flair is gone.
Black Butterfly
Dec 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BOOKBUB
I TRIED TO LIKE THIS BOOK, JUST COULDN'T. WHEN I READ THE DETAILS OF THE STORY LINE I REALLY THOUGHT, THIS SHOULD BE GOOD. THE PROBLEM I HAD WAS ALL THE CHARACTERS WERE SO SAD AND FREAKIN' DEPRESSING, EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS BOOK MADE ME DEPRESSED. EVEN THE ENDING WAS WHAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED, IT WAS JUST SAD, SAD, SAD. BUMMER! ;<
Karsyn
Mar 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
SNORE fest. OMG it was boring and slow and dull and the characters were completely unlikable. If it were any longer, I would have stopped reading it, but since it was shorter and I had read 25% initially, I didn't want to lose that time. So, I read it and it sucked!
Susan
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a suspense novel
Recommended to Susan by: bookbub
Okay, it wasn't a great work of literature and I'm sure I'll never see this on any classics list, BUT, if you're in the mood for a good thriller, this is it. I do have to say the ending reminded me of 'Ghost' but it was a good read and it kept my attention through the end. I'd recommend it.
Karen Strumlak
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Spoiler! I was hooked and enjoyed the mystery until the bad guy takes over the body of Shannon and talks to him in his dreams. I guess I'm not a believer. Found it to be weird and took away from the story.
Shelby
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was less than perfect, but really good overall. This is a really dark book, with a lot of taboo things that most people won't talk about, and that's one of the reasons I like it so much. This book is pretty ballsy!
Metagion
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book...It was one of those "mind f**ks" that keeps you guessing as to what happens next...and gives you something to think about! What if you COULD do what the killer could? No spoilers here but it gives you food for thought!
Chris
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
I often enjoy creepy, violent stories, but I tend to lose interest when supernatural elements are introduced. This is, perhaps, more suited to fans of the crime/horror genre. I usually prefer my bad guys to be a little more, err, human.
James B. Sensenbrenner
A very good read.

A different story about evil and how it powerfully impacted the lives of people. In this case bad comes close to winning over good.
Bendy
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a good read. I read the book in about 3 days. It is fast paced and unpredictable.
Yvonne Riggs
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read even though it is not very believable.
Megan
May 23, 2011 rated it liked it
It was a fun read, but I don't think the writing was very good and I could predict a lot of the "twists." Nevertheless, I scare easy and this book had me looking over my shoulder a lot.
Julia
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page Turner

This book was hard to put down. It had enough twists and turns to keep things interesting. Highly recommend it.
Bill Mazzola
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
dark, sick, twisted and utterly compelling. Upset I'm just learning about Dave Zeltserman, but excited to pick up more books from his imaginative mind
Stacey
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story wasn't quite what I expected and I'm not sure that I can say that I liked it.
Dana
Dec 15, 2012 rated it liked it
interesting read with all dream travel and out of body experiences.could have used a bit more details when it came to the murders to give it some shock factor.
Ayla
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it
I really wanted this book to be fantastic and it tried. Alas, what started out as a good story fizzled into shoddy storytelling and a truly bizarre (and not in a good way) ending.
Marilaine
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Got to have a strong stomach for this one - a mystery with a touch of the supernatural.

Can't really recommend it - too much violence and gore.
Melissa Richner
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

I enjoyed the fast pace of the book as well as well as the seeds of doubt the author left about Shannon.

• The Darkest Thread (The Flint K-9 Search and Rescue Mysteries #1)
  • The Mother's Mistake
  • Silent Partner
  • Chosen
  • Brandon's Bride (Family Secrets, #3)
  • Painful Truths (Affair with Murder, #2)
  • The Ex-Wife
  • Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6)
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
  • Hush
  • Vanished (Marilyn Hughes Mystery)
  • Broken (Will Trent, #4)
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
Author of the crime noir novel SMALL CRIMES named by NPR as the best crime and mystery novel of 2008, and by the Washington Post as one of the best novels of 2008, and made into a major film (to be released in 2017) starring Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Molly Parker, Gary Cole, Robert Forster, and Jacki Weaver.

Shamus Award winner for JULIUS KATZ. Ellery Queen's Readers Choice Award winner for ARCHIE'S

Bill Shannon (2 books)
  • Bad Karma (Bill Shannon, #2)