Start by marking “Hands of Light: A Guide to Healing Through the Human Energy Field” as Want to Read:
Hands of Light: A Guide to Healing Through the Human Energy Field

Hands of Light: A Guide to Healing Through the Human Energy Field

With the clarity of a physicist and the compassion of a gifted healer with more than twenty years of professional experience observing 5,000 clients and students, Barbara Ann Brennan presents the first in-depth study of the human energy field for people who seek happiness and health, and who wish to achieve their full potential. Our physical bodies exist within a larger 'b ...more
Published February 1st 1990 by Bantam (first published 1987)

Start your review of Hands of Light: A Guide to Healing Through the Human Energy Field
Shasta McBride
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A must read, basic 101 for everyone interested in energy. I really loved this section, Heyoan On Death:

We have already died in forgetting who we are. Those parts of us that we have forgotten are walled off from reality, and we have come into incarnation to retrieve them. So although we fear death, we have already died, and in the incarnation process of reintegrating with our greater being, we actually find more life. The only thing that dies is death.

During our life we wall off experiences tha
Raina
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
UPDATE: I came back to this book after a psychic woman told me my chakras were blocked. I read it for an hour last night. This book is dense-- definitely not a reference book. I went to look up specific chakras and how/ why they are blocked, and that information is spread throughout the entire book! every chapter is about chakras.It is designed for people who want to learn about energetic healing and the entire human spiritual experience.

Serious, old school woo-woo. Brennan is an energetic heal
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Apr 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
The author is honest and straightforward from the very beginning: healing techniques are not simple to learn; you will probably have to study them in a class. She only aims at helping you be familiar with the subject material (p. 11). I am fascinated with the author's scientific knowledge of physics and she ties in all that with her field of healing, energy field, etc. With her we can't help but admit that we are composed of fields (p. 22), and we sense the presence of a person in the room witho ...more
Leighton Durney
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. Barbara shares her in-depth knowledge and understanding in this field of healing. The book has helped me to further understand the human energy fields (aura) and provided an insight into healing practices along with exercises and techniques that I can practice to enhance my abilities. In addition to her books, Barbara has set up the Barbara Brennan School of Healing, with campus' in Miami, United States and Japan. She is seen as world renowned expert in her field. So if thi ...more
Satia
May 25, 2010 rated it did not like it
I am not finishing this book because my body is clearly not responding to the text. In all other books I have read on energy work, whether about Qigong or prana or yoga, my hands, my scalp, my body responds. I can literally feel the energy within me stirring.

While reading this book I felt nothing which tells me that this book is not meant for me. Maybe it is simply a matter of bad timing and later I will return to it to find it inspiring. I doubt it. The author really emphasizes that the book i
Cathy
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! As a layperson, what has stayed with me the most is 1)the author's history of science and the naming of major periods or influencial people, and 2)an explanation of research done to prove that color has vibrational frequency(ies) and wave band(s). I love it that she combined psychology with the study of the Human Energy Field and higher sensory perception. Yes, there is so much more that could stay with me; but the simple wonderment and appreciation for expressing the bi ...more
Melodie
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I chose as part of the required reading section as I make my way toward certification in Healing Energy.It is difficult to review such a book. As a level three student, much of what she wrote was above me.
However, her personal journey was fascinating. Her eye for the minutest detail in the healing process was breath-taking. And the healing sessions she chronicles are almost unbelievable. To the skeptic's eye, some of this was fantastical. However unbelievable to it's critics, I
Carl
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in healing
Recommended to Carl by: Self
This is a work on healing and energy work which has been around for years. They just don't get any better. The book is encyclopedic in its wealth of information and takes you through the course of energy education at your own pace. Everything is covered, nothing missed. This book is timeless as is the information contained in the numerous pages. A definite must have for the idle curious to the dedicated hands on healer. It will make you a believer if you are not already.
Barbara is simply amazing
Melanie The Medium
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is intense. It is the most thorough, complex, detailed guide to energy healing I've read. I haven't even finished it yet because there's so much to take in! If you're interested in energy healing, chakras, and viewing/working with the aura, this is the book to have. I recommend buying this book and her other manual, Light Emerging, if you're interested in these topics.
Nisha D
May 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was written as more of a textbook on energy healing. I listen to it as an audio-book, so I missed out on the frequent references to the images / diagrams she referred to. I also found that most of the information she discussed to be highly technical and difficult to follow if you don't already have a background in energy healing.

Not a good starter / intro into this modality of healing.
Windy Spring
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read ( or I should say I studied )this book years ago and I loved it.
This is one of those life changing books 4 me.
I just reacently reaquired it and I am enjoying reading it a second time
I am working the meditations into my Yoga routine and daily living.
Orna
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
An absolute fantastic book - would consider it an essential for anyone working in energy healing, or pursuing courses in energy healing, as well as anyone even interested in, regardless of what particular discipline or modality of energy work one may be coming from. It covers many different topics, and is quite an indepth book, yet very user friendly too. I like how the author covers different aspects that she became aware of as she developed as a healer, and the diagrams in the book also help t ...more
John
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally a healer/clairvoyant with a solid background in physics!! Her voice and experience in psychology also lends authority to the transformation of existing paradigms in health and science. She is not espousing anything new but her knowledge in western science and her clairvoyant vision and healing abilities help to make yet another case in chipping away the old materialistic view of reality that is what most in our society hold true. If you interested in Auras, psychology, clairvoyance, the ...more
Richard
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
the bibliography was garbage. This is a pretty standard text for people that want to heal everything imaginable. Her take on Riech was sloppy. But this is kind of a must read to get a bead on modern neo-yoga chakra thought.
Murf Reeves
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has been a game changer for me, and if if anyone is interested in spiritual healing this is a great book to look at all the aspects of spiritual healing. Barbara Brennan combines science and spirtuality to create a full picture of healing ourselves and if we choose, to heal others.
Nadine
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very helpful in my healing practice.
Monica
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book contains a wealth of information, which is wonderful especially if you have already gone through basic text books such as William Rand's Reiki. But it is was not easy for me to absorb so much new information in one sitting as some parts are too far removed from my current level of experience and understanding (centre portion of the book). So I feel there is no need to plough through every detail but that a browse-through would suffice for certain portions to gain a general idea.

What I
Emily
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone into energy healing, anyone curious, esp. with q's
Recommended to Emily by: I did, via my family, open to possibilities, open to how to, oth
I read both barbara ann books. I chose them both, at the book sellers. They reinforced the independent studies, encouraged in my upbringing years, that is, went right along with my findings, as encouraged to explore and activate/do,by my folks.I consider her work and works to be beautiful...there is a place or two, where I see that she might have taken a more explanatory direction -- still, she didn't...and, for someone practiced, her approach works (I am only considering that those not already ...more
Janet Daghri
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating reading on auras and healing

I read this book to understand energy healing, how that works and why. This book was a deep detailed description with examples, illustrations, and a guide on how to become a healer. The author presented many thought provoking concepts that are helpful to anyone who wants to release negativity and grow to a stronger self. I think the book is more of a launch for those who want to become an energy healer. The path to becoming an energy healer is a much more
Melissa
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
WOW! Full on and amazing stuff.. This book sits in my references shelf.. I read it so fast the first time, it was so full of detailed explanations of energy fields and techniques, i was amazed.. I wanted to KNOW everything, right away.. now i just pick it up now and then and re-absorb.

Wendyrose89
Dec 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoying this book; however, would want to be taught by a certified instructor, and not just anyone who has already read it.
Yvan
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Forced me to shake the core of my beliefs and opened a whole new world to me.
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book over ten years ago and am reading it again. It's very informative, interesting to read and I love it.
Nancy Mramor-Kajuth
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Barbara Brennan's book is a wonderful thorough guide to healing the self, empowering your own healing ability and becoming well from the inside out. I highly recommend it.
Jan Jaap
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody who wants a basic understanding of healing
Recommended to Jan by: I found the Dutch translation in bookshop De Wijze Kater
978 0 553 34539 1

I bought this book some time ago and it arrived, after a rather long Corona waiting, this week.

It turns out to be the first paperback edition from 1988 (the hardcover book was published in 1987). That suits me well because I had some (unjustified) questions about the use of the word aura in the Dutch (title)translation.
Later in her development Brennan preferred using the term human energy feld.

This is the first of tree books (#2 is Light Emerging, #3 is Core Light Healing) de
Jude Arnold
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was the second time I read this book; first time was like 30 years ago. It’s really an intense read; it’s a text book for healers who want to work with the human energy field. Each chapter concludes with study questions and many chapters include training exercises. I intend to read it a third time, taking notes and committing some sections to memory. Highly recommended for anyone interested in Healing, auras and angels.
Mary Davis
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: energy
This book is what helped me to understand how to work with the various levels of energy around the human body. For some, this is very similar to the formats used in "hands-on healing" by medical professions, or "laying on the hands" in some churches. It is presented in a format that is easily understood while being thorough in the topic. If you're interested in energy work? This book is my first recommendation for learning more about working with energy through your hands.
Liza Keleynova
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The apparent slowness between cause and effect that is built into the plane is here for a reason. We need to be able to see clearly the cause and effect connections in relationships that we do not understand. These relationships are ultimately between parts of ourselves that are not yet unified.

Soulitude
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely love this book, and also Light Emerging by the same author.
These two books are 'must haves' for any energy worker/light worker.
So much info packed into them.
I find myself always dipping into them both for information, using them
as major references nowadays. <3
Bethany
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I ended up skimming about half of this book. It was a bit much for me, but for someone who is into energy work it could be an extremely informative book. So my rating may not be fair, it’s more personal preference and practice than it is as to how well the book was written.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Heal Your Body: The Mental Causes for Physical Illness and the Metaphysical Way to Overcome Them
  • Sacred Contracts: Awakening Your Divine Potential
  • The Seat of the Soul
  • The Crystal Bible: A Definitive Guide to Crystals
  • Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small
  • Hidden Messages in Water
  • Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing
  • What the Bleep Do We Know!?: Discovering the Endless Possibilities for Altering Your Everyday Reality
  • Conversations With God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Book 3
  • One Day My Soul Just Opened Up: 40 Days and 40 Nights Toward Spiritual Strength and Personal Growth
  • The Celestine Vision: Living the New Spiritual Awareness
  • Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Growing Old
  • Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing
  • Creative Visualization: Use the Power of Your Imagination to Create What You Want in Your Life
  • You Can Heal Your Life
  • Essential Reiki: A Complete Guide to an Ancient Healing Art
  • Seth Speaks: The Eternal Validity of the Soul
  • A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles"

News & Interviews

“Many books have been written on these types of healing. For further reading, I suggest the following books: The Science of Homeopathy by George Vithoulkas, M.D., Dimensions of Radionics by David Tansely, M.D., Chiropractic, A Modern Way to Health by Julius Dontenfass, M.D., Traditional Acupuncture: The Law of the Five Elements by Dianne M. Connelly, Ph.D.” 0 likes